From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Updating RH Linux
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 23:58:27 -0500

Ridwaan wrote:

> I am using Redhat 6.0 and want to know how I can keep my Linux up to date
> without having to keep buying new CD and reinstalling everything from
> scratch.
>
> My friend has Freebsd and he keeps up to date with cvs-up. Is there a
> similar way to do this in Redhat? New Version is 6.2. Must I buy new CD
> again and reinstall everything again?
>
> Thanx for any good pointers.

You can download it and do a hard drive install or burn it to CD and
choose upgrade existing system during the install.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 00:24:59 -0500
From: "Tim R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine
Subject: Re: virtual cdrom under WINE?

brian moore wrote:

> On 29 May 2000 01:51:10 GMT,
>  David Plaut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to run a program on a CD under WINE on a laptop without a CD reader.
> > Is there a way to fool WINE into treating an iso9660 image mounted as a loop
> > device as an actual cdrom device?  I've tried mounting the image under
> > /mnt/cdrom and setting Device=/mnt/cdrom under Drive D in wine.conf with no
> > luck (i.e., the image mounts fine but is not recognized by the program running
> > under WINE).
> >
> > I'm running WINE-20000430 under RedHat 6.2 on a Compaq Armada M300.
>
> Did you try:
>     Type=cdrom
>     Label=CD-Rom
>
> In your winerc or .conf?
>
> --
> Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
>       Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting
>       Usenet Vandal               |  for it to load on the seventh day.
>       Netscum, Bane of Elves.

maybe try this (i haven't tested this, but in theory  it may work).
for you Device= have it either be the path to the actual iso image, or (this may
work better) the loop back device mount connected to the iso
if you don't know which loop it used, set one up yourself with losetup
as in "losetup /dev/loop0 /home/user/myfile.iso"
you can use another number other than 0, whatever loop device is unused and floats
your boat.
anyway, once set up, the loop device should be exactly the same as a real cdrom
device.
so just make it something like
Device=/dev/loop0

--Tim

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 00:26:40 -0500
From: "Tim R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

brian moore wrote:

> On 29 May 2000 01:51:10 GMT,
>  David Plaut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to run a program on a CD under WINE on a laptop without a CD reader.
> > Is there a way to fool WINE into treating an iso9660 image mounted as a loop
> > device as an actual cdrom device?  I've tried mounting the image under
> > /mnt/cdrom and setting Device=/mnt/cdrom under Drive D in wine.conf with no
> > luck (i.e., the image mounts fine but is not recognized by the program running
> > under WINE).
> >
> > I'm running WINE-20000430 under RedHat 6.2 on a Compaq Armada M300.
>
> Did you try:
>     Type=cdrom
>     Label=CD-Rom
>
> In your winerc or .conf?
>
> --
> Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
>       Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting
>       Usenet Vandal               |  for it to load on the seventh day.
>       Netscum, Bane of Elves.

oh one thing i forget, after you have the loop device set up, make sure you have the
right permissions!

------------------------------

From: Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: xmms
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 05:30:03 GMT

Hey I run Red Hat Linux 6.1 and love it.  Yet, I was trying to get skins to
work in xmms and they just don't work.  I've downloaded the latest skins
and the latest xmms and even tried deleting my config file for xmms.  I had
reinstalled linux because of my own goofup yet I didn't format my home
directory and figured I could use the skins again.  Yet, they don't work
and  don't see how in the world they don't work. Please someone tell me how
to get the skins working again.

THanks

From: "william" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISO files, without the CD
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 05:34:30 GMT

Hi,
Is it possible to install linux from and ISO file already on a hard drive,
or does
it have to be converted to a CD?

If it's possible, how easy is it?
Trying to install Mandrake from an ISO file.

Thanks for any assistance or pointers.

William.

------------------------------

From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: file conversion: .nvf --> .mp3
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 03:16:03 -0230

Hello,

Does anyone know of any utilities that will convert
.nvf files to .mp3 files or other format. Does anyone
know where I can find out information about .nvf files?

Thanks,

Neil

------------------------------

From: "Fredrick Gethers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: Sun Sparc faster then intel pentium: is this true????
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 06:01:05 GMT

SunflowerI am very much a newbie to Sun machines.

I am in the process of looking for a Sun sparc 1, 5, 10, 20 or some other
Sun machine that will not be too expensive to purchase used.

I want the machine to include an internal CDROM and floppy.

This machine will be used to run Mandrake Linux 7.0.

The problem is that when it comes to Intel Machines I know exactly what I
need as far as system requirements (Graphic Card Memory, RAM, Harddrive
size, CDROM speed).  When I look at the Sun boxes I'm not sure what to look
for as the RAM, CPU Speed and Harddrives seem very small.

I saw the following and would like to know if this is true:

Sun Sparc Classic, 50MHz sun4m archtecture, 96mb RAM (worth $30*6, $180 by
itself), 2.1gb harddrive, Solaris 2.7 desktop with disks and manual and
preloaded, guaranteed against DOA (this is a currently working system setup
as my mail server), optional 20" sun monitor in new condition add $175,
optional type 5 keyboard and mouse add $55). This Sun workstation is
basically a Sparc 10 with different cache, and most Sparc 10's are only
30MHz, this one is 50MHz (faster than an Intel Pentium II 450 running
Windows 95, really, and NO crashes to boot). The only reason I am selling
this is because I am upgrading to an Ultra computer and need some cash.

Also, is there a way to compare Sun performance numbers to Intel.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: environment for "at" and "cron"
Date: 29 May 2000 01:29:12 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Thompson wrote:
>...   Is there an easy way to dump my entire shell environment
>into my cron job so it can run the script instead of having to
>rely on "at" to do the job?

The "at" command copies a portion of the environment from which it
was initiated (eg., current directory, PATH, etc.).  cron normally
does not.  Hence, in a crontab you have to put full-path names to
your executables.  It's assumed that a script called from cron will
create its own environment.

There are a couple of cron daemons running around.  RedHat uses
Vixie cron, which also checks /etc/crontab.  That file has an
extra field indicating owner (whatever that does), and the man
page says that 'environmental variables can be set in the crontab',
whatever that means.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: GENE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.misc
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 06:43:55 GMT

Fredrick Gethers wrote:

> SunflowerI am very much a newbie to Sun machines.
>
> I am in the process of looking for a Sun sparc 1, 5, 10, 20 or some other
> Sun machine that will not be too expensive to purchase used.
>
> I want the machine to include an internal CDROM and floppy.
>
> This machine will be used to run Mandrake Linux 7.0.
>
> The problem is that when it comes to Intel Machines I know exactly what I
> need as far as system requirements (Graphic Card Memory, RAM, Harddrive
> size, CDROM speed).  When I look at the Sun boxes I'm not sure what to look
> for as the RAM, CPU Speed and Harddrives seem very small.
>
> I saw the following and would like to know if this is true:

> Sun Sparc Classic, 50MHz sun4m archtecture, 96mb RAM (worth $30*6, $180 by
> itself), 2.1gb harddrive, Solaris 2.7 desktop with disks and manual and
> preloaded, guaranteed against DOA (this is a currently working system setup
> as my mail server), optional 20" sun monitor in new condition add $175,
> optional type 5 keyboard and mouse add $55). This Sun workstation is
> basically a Sparc 10 with different cache, and most Sparc 10's are only
> 30MHz, this one is 50MHz (faster than an Intel Pentium II 450 running
> Windows 95, really, and NO crashes to boot). The only reason I am selling
> this is because I am upgrading to an Ultra computer and need some cash.
>
> Also, is there a way to compare Sun performance numbers to Intel.

As one who spent a lot of lab time with SparcStation 10, 20, and various
Ultra machines, let me caution you about old hardware. You may find it
hard to fix, and Sun CE's don't come cheap. In the Sparc 10 era, for
example, the frame buffers were as slow as DOGs. They had some boards
for the S-bus called cgsix0 and cgsix1 (and also called by some other
marketing names).  The result of having an unaccelerated frame buffer
(with only 8 bit planes by the way), is that X eats up your CPU. Sure,
the sparc chip is nice, but I remember Sparc 10's lumbering along at
36 MHz, and barely getting enough user time to do the job. You should
put proctool on the job while running one of your favorite apps under
Solaris 7, let's say, before considering old Sun hardware for your
dream machine.  If it looks like it will cut the mustard, maybe
Linux will as well.

I'd do a trade-off - determine why you want the Sun and how critical
it is to your project.  Then cost the old Sun approach vs new sun
vs "IBM" PC hardware.  BTW, I think Sun has ported Linux to the Ultra
series, but you may want to check that out. I seem to remember that
it was an internal Sun activity, and may not have seen the light of
day.

Let me finish with an upbeat note about Sun hardware.  If you have a
"go-fast" machine (my last Sun was a 14-processor Ultra Enterprise
4500 with 4 Gigabytes of ram, two in a cluster for redundancy).  Let
me tell you that baby hummed. The internal memory bus (I think it was
called UPA or something like that) ran at 100 MHz, and was transferring
256 or 512 bits at a time, IIRC.  The disk farm was raided up, but
the key was the fiberoptic interconnect which moved data about 2-4 times
faster than the fastest scsi at the time. No question about the
prowess of this machine.  One of the two could handle a radar tracking
problem, and keep ahead of all the air tracks in the U.S. and Canada,
while loafing. For such an application, the price tag of $200K was
considered trivial, when compared to the cost of the application
software.  Depends on your perspective.

Gene Montgomery

------------------------------

From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: how to enter a bug report against linux?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:43:49 +0100

"h3$m"@3m.e wrote:

> Think engineering, not just coding. coding takes only about
> 15% of the resources and effort (even if that) on a large
> software project. The rest is specification, design, requirments,
> source control, bug tracking, test suites, regression testing, QA,
> maintainance, and many other tasks not related to coding.

Not to mention the interpersonal skills required to be a truly good
programmer.

This is why, to me, the term 'hacker' is still perjorative. A 'hacker'
is someone who 'hacks' at code, producing 'brilliant hacks'. You'd never
think of a hacker as someone who's really good at unit testing, for
instance.

------------------------------

From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:52:54 +0100

Ray wrote:

> One advantage of using a mailing list for
> bug tracking is that it allows search engines such as deja to tie together
> the development of various related projects (sane, alsa, apm, etc) in a way
> that would be difficult with traditional bug tracking systems.

I don't think that's really true. A search engine like DejaNews does
sophisticated full-text searching of free-form text. Yes, it gives
weights to terms found in titles (even though the titles may not even
apply to the subject anymore), and is more clever than simply listing
all articles where search terms appear. Nevertheless, it's inherently
unstructured.

A database, on the other hand, can use another search vector:
classification. At a minimum, it lets you attach text to specific bugs,
so that everything to do with a certain bug can be retrieved easily. It
can also allow indexing, where terms can be associated with text which
may not even appear in that text, but which are still relevant (the
classic example is assigning the index term 'death penalty' to an
article about capital punishment). In your example, a good database
would let users attach project terms to any report.

Finally, a database can be full-text-searched just as any other
collection of text can be.

So no, a mailing list does not offer search capabilities that are better
than a bug-tracking system.

------------------------------

From: Mark Wilden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: democracy?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:59:51 +0100

"Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:

> Well, for example you have the majority who believe that as of
> January 1st, we started a new millenium.  Then you have those
> of us who are smart enough to realize that there was no year 0.

January 1st did start a new millenium. It just didn't happen to be the
third one after the purported birth of Jesus. :)

Seriously, all this means is that the majority of people think the
rollover to 2000 is more interesting and significant to them than the
arithmetic facts. Does it really matter? To them (and to me), the real
'idiot' is someone who thinks this is important.

> You have the majority that believes that Windows is the best OS
> ever to rear its head

The majority thinks no such thing. They have no experience with any
other OS, nor do they want any (the majority is quite intelligent in not
wanting to recompile a kernel simply so that Doom makes sounds on their
machine). So to say that the majority believe Windows is the best is
rather...idiotic.

>... Then you have those who know better.
> You have the majority of Usenetters who reply to posts jeopardy
> style, then you have the good Usenauts who don't.  etc, etc, etc...

Of course, there are people who are smarter than average, and I think
Usenetters in general fall into that category. But just because I
(err--we) are smarter than average doesn't mean the average is low. It
just means that we're quite smart. :)

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1024 e cylindre
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:14:27 GMT

Eridan wrote:

> Je recherche quelle est la version de lilo qui prend en compte le démarrage
> aprés le 1024 e cylindre.
> Est ce que chos le fait ?

I'm not that good in french, but I believe you're looking for the latest
lilo(which can boot from beyond the 1024th cylinder). The version you're
looking for is 21.4.3 You can find it at freshmeat.net, by just
searching for lilo

Eric

------------------------------

From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Users' Group of Davis, June 6 - OpenMerchant
Crossposted-To:
sac.announce,ucd.general,sacramento.internet,sac.general,sac.internet,ucd.life,ucd.cs.club
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:47:36 GMT

LUGOD, The Linux Users' Group of Davis, will hold its next meeting on:

  Tuesday
  June 6, 2000
  6:30pm

The meeting will be held at:

  Z-World, Inc.
  2900 Spafford Street
  Davis, CA 95616

The topic will be on "OpenMerchant," presented by Rob Ferber, founder of
Open Sales, Inc.

OpenSales, Inc. is the emerging leader in e-commerce solutions.
They have created the world-class standard for online retailing with
the OpenSales e-commerce package, a freely available and dynamic
software solution that processes thousands of Web transactions per second on
inexpensive clusters of systems. With deployment on all enterprise platforms
and support for all major databases, the OpenSales e-commerce package helps
meet business challenges that require immediate and accurate results.

For details on this meeting, maps, directions, public transportation
schedules, etc., visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/

LUGOD is a non-profit organization dedicated to the Linux Operating
System which meets twice a month in Davis, CA.  Please visit our website
for details:

  http://www.lugod.org/

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Koos Pol)
Subject: Re: which is the best linux distro - please vote
Date: 29 May 2000 07:28:18 GMT

On Sat, 27 May 2000 08:04:09 GMT, Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
|   joe 90 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > [1] Have you used more than one distribution of linux?
| >             [    ] Yes  (please go to question 2 - 'jedi' )
| >             [    ] No    (please go to question 5)
| >
| > [2] Which distributions of linux have you used - please list;
| [cut]
|
| [0] What was the purpose of the above "vote"?
|
| [1] How many times have you seen the question "Which distro is the best"
| on c.o.l.m?
|
| [2] Why didn't you go for the Linux Distribution HOWTO at
| <URL:http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Distribution-HOWTO.html>?
|
| [3] Did you try looking at <URL:http://www.linux.com/> or
| <URL:http://www.linux.org/> for info on the different distributions?
|
| [4] Did you know about comp.os.linux.advocacy?

I am afraid your pointers are invain. If the original poster is neglecting
all that info which has been given him for free -he only needs to look it up-
I'll doubt that he'll be reading your news post. I expect him to be fixated
at hist 17", waiting for the inbox to say "You have new mail" and expecting
to see at least 67 enthousiasts voting for the favorit distribution...

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam
T:+31 20 3116122   F:+31 20 3116200   E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

From: lis@ec
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 28 May 2000 23:50:21 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>And if we were talking about just one project you might have a point.

he was. It was the kernel.

We know you are stupid, now we know you can not read also.

Each large software project will have its own bug tracking system.

Go learn something about software engineering first.