Linux-Misc Digest #637, Volume #25                Fri, 1 Sep 00 03:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: cracker's file (Thomas Corriher)
  Re: Red Hat rescue and init level (Peter Mitchell)
  Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows (David Schreiber)
  Re: Linux Mail Server ("D. C. & M. V. Sessions")
  Winmodems and Linux, a fix ? anyone? ("Robert Clement")
  Shortcut/Batch file equivilant??? ("Cramer Silkworth")
  Re: Netscape and video/x-ms-asf (Vladimir Florinski)
  Rc.d file -- HELP!!! (Rob Main)
  Re: Has anybody tried Gentus-Linux from Abit? (Elliot Williams)
  Re: Networking ("Gero H. Marten")
  Re: Red Hat rescue and init level (mpulliam)
  Re: Winmodems and Linux, a fix ? anyone? (Barry OGrady)
  Re: Rc.d file -- HELP!!! ("David ..")
  Re: Winmodems and Linux, a fix ? anyone? ("Sagar")
  Happy Hacking Lite + minicom (Robert Lynch)
  Re: Netscape and video/x-ms-asf (Stewart Honsberger)
  Laptop Mouse behaving funny on X (Rajesh Radhakrishnan)
  Re: 3D w/ Matrox G400 (Torsten Evers)
  Re: Shortcut/Batch file equivilant??? (Davide Bianchi)
  Re: Shortcut/Batch file equivilant??? (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: Linux Mail Server (John Winters)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Corriher)
Subject: Re: cracker's file
Date: 1 Sep 2000 01:37:21 GMT

On 31 Aug 2000 09:33:38 +0100
Andreas Kahari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> People on comp.lang.c is starting to ask for the source of
> "unix ping" now. I hope some other people are making
> DoS-detection programs.
>
>Any comments Thomas?

I will be happy to help them in their quest for knowledge,
since some of us are not afraid of education.

The ping source file is probably called "ping.c" and is
definitely in the iputils package.  Linux source code is
easy to find.  Here's some "hand-holding" instructions.

Tell them to log into:

  ftp.codemeta.com

Then tell them to "cd" to the directory of:

  /pub/mirrors/redhat/distributions/redhat-6.2/SRPMS/SRPMS

and download the iputils-* package(s)

If they use a normal Linux distribution, then they already
have it and should not waste their energy.  Therefore, more
than 95% of the people who could actually utilize the Linux
ping code already have it.

It is scary that knowledge passes freely over the Internet!!

--
  From the desk of Thomas Corriher

  The real email address is:
  corriher at surfree.
  com

------------------------------

From: Peter Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat rescue and init level
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:34:08 -0700

I believe that 'rescue 1' is probably the way to go
(setting runlevel to 1). Putting 'rescue init=/bin/bash'
should, as I understand it, use the rescue kernel image and
then use /bin/bash instead of starting init and running the
usual init scripts. It is of course a possible way to try to
rescue the system.

Peter

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web
Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is Beautiful

------------------------------

From: David Schreiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 02:01:05 GMT

> I do not recall if it stands for "Wireless Applications Protocol" or
> "Wireless Access Protocol."

The WAP binary XML encoding specification is used to transmit XML data
for WAP devices without the overhead of normal XML.  It is not the same
as WAP.  The spec is at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/wbxml/

I guess you could use it for non WAP related applications where you
wanted to remove the overhead of XML.

--
http://www.caverock.net.nz/~davids
Welcome to nowhere fast. Nothing here ever lasts.

From: "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux Mail Server
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:16:43 -0700

Raymond Doetjes wrote:

> Uhhm neither Linux nor FreeBSD or any other Unix system can hold 500.000 mailboxes
> and therefor users.
> The password wile can only handle 64K on users. thats no 500000 users!

The clients don't have to have accounts on the primary server.
There are several ways to handle this, including subdomains and
hash functions on the username, which assign the traffic to
secondary servers.

Many ISPs get by just fine with far more than 64K users and
BSD variants.

--
|   Engineers solve problems -- it's what we do.  |
|            Do you want to be a problem?         |

------------------------------

From: "Robert Clement" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Winmodems and Linux, a fix ? anyone?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 02:21:05 GMT

Can anyone get a winmodem to work with Linux? Does anyone know of such a
thing?

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

------------------------------

From: "Cramer Silkworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Shortcut/Batch file equivilant???
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:34:51 -0400

Hello,

I'm currently teaching myself Linux, and I'm working on Wine right now. Is
there some way to create something like a Windows-style shortcut or batch
file to run programs with wine, so I don't have to type the path everytime??
All it would contain is something like:

cd ..
wine /mnt/win98/program/app.exe

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape and video/x-ms-asf
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:15:07 -0700

Stewart Honsberger wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:11:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Netscape 4.73 on Linux (Caldera 2.4) says it doesn't
> >know about video/x-ms-asf files even though I have
> >added that mime type.  Anyone seen (and dealt with)
> >this before.
>
> As the MIME type subtly indicates, the ASF video format is a Microsoft
> proprietary format. The closest I've ever come to ASF support under Linux
> are a few players that will play audio but no video from these files.

Xmps can play video, but without sound. Performance isn't very good for these.
DivX avi format is much better supported, with sound, and is fast. The DivX
format should be used for compressed high quality video instead of this
Microsoft thing (although they are both variants of MPEG-4).
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: Rob Main <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Rc.d file -- HELP!!!
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:43:02 -0500

All:

I have the following code saved in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S11sample on a RH6.1
box:

#######################
#!/usr/bin/perl

print STDOUT "\n Enter username:  ";
$username = <STDIN>;
chop $username;

print STDOUT "\n Enter password:  ";
$password = <STDIN>;
chop $password;

.
. Do something with what was grabbed from STDIN
.

exit;
#######################

During system startup, the boot pauses after displaying, "Starting
S11sample" but not the "Enter username: " prompt.  I enter a value and
hit return, and then the "Enter password: " prompt doesn't appear
either.  Again I enter a value and hit return and the boot sequence
proceeds.

My question:  Why in the heck won't either "Enter username: " or "Enter
password: " appear on the screen during startup?  I am to write the
values taken from STDIN to a file, so I know Perl is successfully being
called.

HELP!!!

------------------------------

From: Elliot Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has anybody tried Gentus-Linux from Abit?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 03:08:06 +0000 (UTC)

I did.  Gentus 6.1 (RedHat w/ a few mods) and Gentus 3.0.
They were ok, but not much more than RedHat.

I now use a Mandrake 7.1.  Works fine out of the box, and
there are patches on the web.  Search "abit linux" with Yahoo
or some such.

I use an unpatched 2.4.0-test2 kernel right now.  No problems.
I don't use the ATA66, but there is support for the HPT366 driver
in the kernel.  Don't know how well it works.

There is also an Abit BP6 mailing list.  Worth joining, perhaps.

--

                                                Elliot.

------------------------------

From: "Gero H. Marten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Networking
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:39:41 +0200

> Is it possible to network Linux to win3.11

Sure. Get the (free) WIN 3.11 TCP/IP package at
<ftp://ftp.microsoft.com> and run SAMBA on the Linux box.

--
Gero H. Marten

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mpulliam)
Date: 1 Sep 2000 03:18:53 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:11:36 GMT,
Amir Sadri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In an attempt to rescue my corrupted
Red Hat Linux installation I typed
>rescue at the boot prompt and inserted
the rescue disk when I was asked
>to. (snipped)
>I tried typing "rescue init=3" at the
boot prompt but it didn't help.
>the same story.
>Does anybody know how to pass the init
level to the rescue process?

in emergencies my RH docs advise
entering "single" or "linux single" at
the prompt (I think you have just
five seconds (default) so type fast)

MP
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakes/GlacialGift/space.html

enjoy images of the Great Lakes from space, and a little
scientific information.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Barry OGrady)
Subject: Re: Winmodems and Linux, a fix ? anyone?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 04:29:51 GMT

On Fri, 01 Sep 2000 02:21:05 GMT, "Robert Clement" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Can anyone get a winmodem to work with Linux? Does anyone know of such a
>thing?

I have a software modem on my motherboard which I have working courtesy of a
file called pctel.o. Did you get a driver disk with your mb? See if it has any linux
drivers. Try doing a search on the web for your specific modem. Failing that,
post another message with details of your modem.

Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number: (02) 85698004
Web page: http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~barryog
Atheist, scanner, LIPD information, horse pictures
Updated 27/07/00

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rc.d file -- HELP!!!
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:21:33 -0500

Rob Main wrote:

> All:
>
> I have the following code saved in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S11sample on a RH6.1
> box:

 #######################
 #!/usr/bin/perl

 print "Enter username:  ";
 $username = <STDIN>;
 chomp $username;

 print "Enter password:  ";
 $password = <STDIN>;
 chomp $password;

 .
 . Do something with what was grabbed from STDIN
 .

 exit;
 #######################

> During system startup, the boot pauses after displaying, "Starting
> S11sample" but not the "Enter username: " prompt.  I enter a value and
> hit return, and then the "Enter password: " prompt doesn't appear
> either.  Again I enter a value and hit return and the boot sequence
> proceeds.
>
> My question:  Why in the heck won't either "Enter username: " or "Enter
> password: " appear on the screen during startup?  I am to write the
> values taken from STDIN to a file, so I know Perl is successfully being
> called.
>
> HELP!!!

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: "Sagar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 12:11:40 +0800

www.linmodems.org

news:loEr5.1711$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Happy Hacking Lite + minicom
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:24:54 -0700

Hiya-

I bought a "Happy Hacking Lite" keyboard at the recent Linux
Expo.  I like it a lot, but it takes getting used to, which I am
doing.

Tonight I needed to use minicom, but the usual CNTL-A + Z key
combo did not work.  At first. After a lot of messing about I
found that TAPPING CNTL-A then Z brought up the menu.  I went
into cOnfigure mode and made the control/hot
key/whatever-its-called be (bottom left of keyboard, if it
matters, I haven't checked that) ALT.

minicom now announces that I should hit ALT-Z for help, etc. and
everything works well.

I am posting this against someone searching for similar help.  I
searched myself first, but came up with nothing meaningful.  I
hope it's not a FAQ.

FWIW. Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 04:56:35 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:55:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I do not have the URL.  I got it by doing a search in Yahoo.
>I did download the beta version of Media Player so I know it
>can be done.  Cliff

The only reference I could find on either Microsoft's site or Yahoo! was
for a Unix player (Solaris, specifically). A news article I found pointed
to a Microsoft Unix download page which re-directed me towards their main
download page; no mention of Linux whatsoever.

For what platform did you download this file, and what were the search terms
you used in Yahoo! in order to obtain the product?

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: Rajesh Radhakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Laptop Mouse behaving funny on X
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 01:04:58 -0400

Hi,

I just installed Redhat 6.1 on a Toshiba Tecra 730CDT laptop. Everything
is working great except that the laptop mouse behaves erratically ie. it
suddenly becomes active (while I am typing) and when I move the mouse it
grabs the contents of the xterm (like if the left-mouse click was always
pressed) and won't disengage. Then I have to play with both the mouse to
deactivate it.

However when I use an external mouse, the external mouse behaves fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rajesh

------------------------------

From: Torsten Evers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3D w/ Matrox G400
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:49:02 +0200

Hi !

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:

> The only GL libs I have installed are in /usr/X11R6/lib and were all
> installed from the GLX compile I did the other night...
Then it should be ok.

> Have you tried BZflag?  It's pretty simple to install if you haven't and
> would like to try it.  If you do, let me know how things go and what
> settings you used in your /etc/glx.conf.
I did yesterday and it worked fine out of the box. Here is my glx.conf
(comments removed to shorten it).
======= cut ======== cut ========== cut ==========
# /etc/X11/glx.conf
nohw = 0
debug = 1
mga_dma = 3
mga_dmaadr = 248   # 256 MB RAM - 8MB DMA-Buffers
mga_dmasize = 8
mga_systemtexture = 1
mga_boxes = 1
mga_nofallback = 1
======= cut ======== cut ========== cut ==========

The other possible values are commented out.

Hope it helps.

Bye,
Torsten

--
Torsten Evers                           Tel.: ++49-39322-9015
EBH-interdata GbR                       Fax : ++49-39322-9016

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: Shortcut/Batch file equivilant???
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 06:16:48 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:34:51 -0400, "Cramer Silkworth"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm currently teaching myself Linux, and I'm working on Wine right now. Is
>there some way to create something like a Windows-style shortcut or batch
>file to run programs with wine, so I don't have to type the path everytime??
>All it would contain is something like:
>
>cd ..
>wine /mnt/win98/program/app.exe

Put the lines into a file (with any name), then make it
executable with
chmod 777 <filename>

If you want, you can put

#!sh

at the beginning of the file, to be sure that the file
is executed by the Shell (sh).
Linux, like Unix, see like 'executable' any file, depending by
the permission flags. See man chmod

Davide

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 06:22:05 GMT

In article <8on4mf$d2q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Cramer Silkworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm currently teaching myself Linux, Is there some way to create
> something like ... batch file to run programs ?

Yes, it's called 'shell-script'.

> All it would contain is something like:

Can you edit a simple text file? Create one and put inside it:

#!/bin/sh
cd ..
wine /mnt/win98/program/app.exe
# end of file

(however, the 'cd ..' is not a proper way to change dir...)
(it would be better something like: 'cd /jump/to/here')
(the first line is important, and it's possible that the 'sh'
program resides in another dir... you should check if it's
in /bin/).

At saving the file, give an appropriate name to it (e.g. 'wine-start')
and run the command:  chmod +x wine-start  (that makes this
shell-script executable).

Happy scripting! :)

--
Mihaly Gyulai
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 1 Sep 2000 07:43:18 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Raymond Doetjes  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am completly ammused by people pointing to sever SMTP MTA's without
>seeing the big picture (except for the last person).
>
>500000 user accounts is almost impossible (specially on linux it stops ad
>user account 65535).
>Imagine the amount of diskspace you need and teh ammount of INodes.

What part of "You are looking at clusters and server farms and the
like." did you not understand?

John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/