From: Michael Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Netscape killer...
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 16:07:38 -0500

Try upgrading to Netscape 4.73 - I've had much less trouble with this
one.

--

================================
Michael Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Assorted beginner difficulties.
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 20:58:49 GMT

Hi everybody.
  I've just installed Corel Linux in a Windows partition and I love it
already. I have the Glax desktop theme running which is gorgeous, the
way Linux handles hardware and kernel modules is delightfully
straightforward and a complete contrast to Windows. One of my main
reasons for trying Linux was that I was sick of being expected to pay
thousands keeping development tools up-to-date when I could be spending
that money on my hardware.
  Natually I have experienced a few difficulties and I would appreciate
any help or advice that this newsgroup can provide.
  Firstly I have got a Lucent Lt WinModem. Aaaarrrghhh. It was
advertised as a proper modem and the box it came in even has a picture
of a modem with a full chipset, but it seems to me that the thing is no
more than a blank pci card with a telephone socket on it! The company I
got it from will suffer for this make no mistake. In the meantime
getting the thing to work looks as if it may be problematic. I have
downloaded a kernel module from linmodems.org lucent586.zip called
ltmodem.o and transferred it by floppy to my Linux instalation. The
script that is supposed to install the module calls

insmod -f ltmodem

which outputs loads of undefined symbol errors, ltmodem is looking for
symbols like free_irq and panic, running

ksyms -a

indicates that my kernel is exporting the symbols
free_irq_Rsmp_f20dabd8 and panic_Rsmp_01075bf0. I've learned that the
extra characters on my kernels symbols are related to the kernels
version but haven't discovered a way to make it work, I thought the -f
switch was supposed to force module insertion despite version mismatch
and I've tried using the -x and -X switched as well just in case. The
version mismatch is tiny the kernel is version 2.12.00 and ltmodem.o is
compiled for version 2.12.00-20 or something like that. Another part of
the installation script calls

echo "/sbin/insmod -f ltmodem" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

  I think that this is supposed to add the name of the module to a list
of module dependencies in order that the ltmodem.o be loaded on startup
or something, but instead it  fails with 'directory or file not found',
my system calculates all module dependencies each time it starts (which
I think is one of the reasons that it takes up to eight minutes to boot
up). Should I just try to add the directories or files it looks for?
  The new modules documentation then states that I should run minicom
to set up the serial port but I don't seem to have minicom, does
anybody know if the module works at all and will it work with dial up?
  How do I get the clock on the panel to display in 24 hour format? And
finally how do I get my English keyboard keys mapped up properly £ ~ #
are all messed about, I've set the language to English (British) but
that hasn't fixed it?
Many thanks in advance.
Martin.

From: Clif J. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System Performance - HELP
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 21:05:44 GMT

I'm in need of a utility and or script that I can use to monitor a
systems performance on an ongoing basis at the process level.  I know
top, vmstat, iostat, ps, etc., but I need something to take information
found in each of those utilities, put it all together and tell me what's
going on from time to time.  For example, what's http doing throughout
the day to memory, cpu, swap, disk io, etc.

 Any ideas?

From: ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP in GNOME file manager? [gmc 4.5.50, Helix GNOME 1.2.1]
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 21:30:46 GMT

"D. D. Brierton" wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:36:57 -0500, Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > The GNOME Users Guide and other GNOME documentation says that gmc, the GNOME
> > > file manager, can be used for FTP transfers, and for brosing remote directories.
> > > However, I cannot get this to work. If I type in at the location bar an address,
> > > say ftp://ftp.redhat.com, and then hit return, the address just reverts back
> > > instantly to what it was. FTP works otherwise, i.e. from within a terminal,
> > > Netscape, or with gFTP. Does anyone know what might be the problem?
> >
> > I was able to connect to ftp://ftp.gnome.org, but it seems to be
> > hanging on ftp://ftp.redhat.com.
>
> ftp.redhat.com was just an example. What I meant was that I can't connect to any
> FTP sites at all using gmc. In fact, as far as I can tell, it doesn't even try.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Darren

> D. D. Brierton, Centre for Cognitive Science, University of Edinburgh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ddb

    Yes, I suspect this: I have used this feature a lot, and while reading your post I
ftp'd in GMC to sunsite and gnome, but NOT to redhat. Maybe this is what is happening.
That site is nearly always user limited, and you can't get in. GMC has no way of
notifying you of that. It APPEARS to have "hung up" or "not be trying", etc. when in
reality it has gotten a notice that there are "too many users" etc. Maybe the coders
could give us something in the command line of GMC that says that, preventing the
confusion, perhaps. Bear in mind that all this is supposition, perhaps others could
help us with this. --
Ray R. Jones
The Computer Shop
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
HTTP://gordo.penguinpowered.com
Ray's Linux 2.2.15 #2 Sat Jun 3 12:01:16 EDT 2000 i586

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yast-Like for RedHat
Date: 5 Jun 2000 21:16:12 GMT

DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:    the problem is that the machine with no operating system yet
: installed cannot see across the network to the machine with the NFS

Eh? Sure it can. Just stick in the boot diskette. That's all you need.
That'll take you straight to configuring your NIC, and then you can
choose your installation medium, which may be FTP or NFS.

: started up a machine to use SUSE in the same way, and found that I had
: no way to "see" the NFS files.  Reading the documentation tells me that
: SUSE "does not support" this method of installation.  There is a menu
: button to use NFS install, but no way to read the NFS volume (that I

I don't understand why not. Just mount it. But WHY DON'T YOU USE FTP?

From: Uncle Meat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to turn off the build-in screenblanker of linux?
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:51:16 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Björn Griese" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Does anyone know how to turn off the automatic build-in "screensaver"
> (blackscreen) of linux?
>
> It is important. I use it for a webterminal and everyone thinks it is turned
> off when he looks at the black screen :-(

setterm -blank 0

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Beno=EEt?= Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does someone here use WMFinder ? Desperately looking for help
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 23:54:48 +0200

Greetings,

WMFinder is supposed to be a nice MacOS-like file manager. I configured
& built it without any apparent trouble (with egcs 2.91.66), but when I
ran the built executable, I get only the message following:

    Lockfile not found ! Creating...
    Segmentation fault

Please could any WMFinder user help me to solve this problem ? Any help
would be heartily appreciated.

--

Benoît Smith
Just a Rhyme Without a Reason

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Netscape 6
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 16:45:13 -0500

Jan Houtsma wrote:

[snip]
> Isn't that this crappy mozilla monster with all the debug stuff slowing it
> down tremendously?

Could be but I don't use it so can't really say.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Assorted beginner difficulties.
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:56:55 -0700

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> echo "/sbin/insmod -f ltmodem" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

/etc/rc.d/rc.local is the file where redhat let's you put stuff you want
started right after booting. Since corel is debian it most likely uses a
different file but you can as well start it by hand before you figure that
out. Re modules in general, they should correspond to the exact kernel
version you are using. Don't have any experience with modems and won't
acquire any winmodem for sure :)
                                      Gerald

Subject: Re: network printing issue
From: bforsberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 14:58:26 -0700

Make sure that the firmware in the printer is the latest from HP.
We had a problem with an HP network printer in that while a
printout was printing any other prints queued to the printer
would be removed. Updating HPs firmware solved the problem.

Bruce Forsberg

Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 17:07:48 -0500
From: "Arthur H. Gold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux based companies

Vikram V Asrani wrote:

> [ This is a repost of the following article:                               ]
> [ From: Vikram V Asrani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                            ]
> [ Subject: Linux based companies                                           ]
> [ Newsgroups: alt.os.linux                                                 ]
>
> Does any one know of any linux based companies / companies doing work with
> the linux OS which are NOT located in California ?
>
> Thanks in advance, Have a nice day,
>
> --
> Vikram.V.Asrani ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
> --
> Vikram.V.Asrani ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Gee, a little company called Red Hat is located in North Carolina
(please pardon sarcasm).
HTH,
--ag

--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account for more info)
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gene Montgomery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Having trouble installing 2 network cards
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 22:29:45 GMT

Michael Martin wrote:

> [...]
> >           RX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> >           TX packets:160 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> >           collisions:0
> >
> > eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:BE:1E:B2
> >           inet addr:64.40.68.250  Bcast:64.40.68.255
> > Mask:255.255.255.252
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >           RX packets:2071 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> >           TX packets:2482 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> >           collisions:4
> >           Interrupt:9 Base address:0xff00
> >
> > eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:24:C6:2C:05
> >           inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> >           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> >           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> >           TX packets:47 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> >           collisions:0
> >           Interrupt:10 Base address:0xff80

> > OUTPUT FROM netstat -r:
> > Kernel IP routing table
> > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
> > Iface
> > 64.40.68.248    *               255.255.255.252 U      1500 0          0
> > eth0
> > 192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0
> > eth1
> > 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0
> > lo
> >
> > default         *               0.0.0.0         U      1500 0          0
> > eth0
> > #### Note that the last line only appears after
> > #### I manually run "route add default eth0"

> > /etc/sysconfig/network
> > NETWORKING=yes
> > FORWARD_IPV4=yes
> > HOSTNAME=grbc.vor.org
> > DOMAINNAME=vor.org
> > # GATEWAY=
> > GATEWAY=
> > GATEWAYDEV=eth0
> > NISDOMAIN=""
> > IPX="no"
> > IPXINTERNALNETNUM="0"
> > IPXINTERNALNODENUM="0"
> > IPXAUTOPRIMARY="on"
> > IPXAUTOFRAME="on"

> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> > DEVICE="eth0"
> > USERCTL=no
> > ONBOOT="yes"
> > BOOTPROTO="none"
> > BROADCAST=64.40.68.255
> > NETWORK=64.40.68.248
> > NETMASK="255.255.255.252"
> > IPADDR="64.40.68.250"
> > IPXNETNUM_802_2=""
> > IPXPRIMARY_802_2="no"
> > IPXACTIVE_802_2="no"
> > IPXNETNUM_802_3=""
> > IPXPRIMARY_802_3="no"
> > IPXACTIVE_802_3="no"
> > IPXNETNUM_ETHERII=""
> > IPXPRIMARY_ETHERII="no"
> > IPXACTIVE_ETHERII="no"
> > IPXNETNUM_SNAP=""
> > IPXPRIMARY_SNAP="no"
> > IPXACTIVE_SNAP="no"

> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Let me add my two cents worth to what Michael said:

I think you might have problems with the same base address
on both your ethernet cards (not for sure).  I think that refers
to the locations in real memory - yours are identical. Here is
my ifconfig -a for my firewall:

[root@south /root]# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:32:81:5F
          inet addr:192.168.1.252  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:12 Base address:0xd800

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:5A:81:EA:B4
          inet addr:4.35.124.67  Bcast:4.35.127.255  Mask:255.255.252.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xdc80

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

Note that the Base addresses are different.  They are two
different types of boards, which may account for that, I
don't know.  I'd check that out.  There is a HOWTO which
discusses having two nics in one machine - maybe the
Ethernet-HOWTO.

>From the looks of things, you are doing stuff barefoot.
I'd suggest using linuxconf.  While on the topic, I think
you will have a much more secure system if you upgrade
to RH6.2.  And then you need to get the security patches
from Red Hat.  I visited there yesterday, and the truth is,
there is a lot going on. I downloaded Netscape 4.7.3 and
am going to get the rest as soon as I can.

BTW, if you are concerned about upgrading to RH6.2, don't
be.  It is really getting slick these days.  I just get the $29
box, slap the cdrom in the drive, and take the defaults and
let 'er rip.  I have done it on 4 machines - going from RH60
in one case and RH61 in the others.  Works fine.  I think
there have been some improvements in the install and
linuxconf since 6.0. Sure seemed like that to me.  BTW,
if you use linuxconf, all that tedium associated with setting
up your host adaptors goes away.  Just do:

> linuxconf
    and then go to
        Config->
        Networking->
        Client Tasks->
        Basic Host Information, where there will be a folder
for each of your detected nics.

That is the place where you tell the sysem what modules
the kernel should load, what the IP is, net mask, aliases,
and the rest.  There's a help button to get hints if needed.
Highly recommended, if you're doing  it manually now.

Gene Montgomery

------------------------------

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo and freebsd
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 22:32:32 GMT

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 02:38:07 +0200, "Krapulax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is it possible for Lilo ( 21.4.3) to boot on a  Freebsd partition after the
>1024 cylindre on a LBA hard disk ?

To boot beyond the 1024 cylinder limit, your BIOS must have the EDD packet
call extensions to the int 0x13 interface.  You can test your BIOS with the
bootable floppy created with "make floppy" in the 21.4.3 distribution.

--John Coffman

>When i try to do this i have "Read error".
>
>thanks for your answer.

LILO version 21.4.3 (06-May-2000) source at
ftp: sd.dynhost.com   dir:  /pub/linux/lilo

------------------------------

From: jansens_at_ibm_dot_net (Karel Jansens)
Subject: Mandrake 7 setup question
Date: 5 Jun 2000 23:36:28 GMT

If I let Mandrake set itself up semi-automatically (i.e. no "expert"
mode), will I still be able to stick lilo somewhere else than on the
MBR of the root partition, like /dev/hda6? I use OS/2's Boot Manager
as my primary booting tool, and it is now set up to boot lilo off the
linux partition. I would be seriously p*ssed off if Mandrake were to
overwrite Boot Manager.

Karel Jansens
jansens_at_attglobal_dot_net
"We seem to be made to suffer. It is our lot in life."
C3P0 - 'Star Wars IV, a New Hope'

From: John in SD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: large disks - partitions problem with RH 6.1
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 22:37:26 GMT

On 5 Jun 2000 09:44:30 GMT, Christoph Kukulies
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have problems installing RH 6.1 on a 40 GB IDE disk.

The 2.2.12 kernel supplied with RH6.1 does not support disks beyond 32Gb.
Newer kernels do.

>I installed Win98 first and after trapping into the <1024 cylinders
>problem with bootable partitions have to be within I created
>a 2 GB / , 16 MB  /boot , a 4 GB DOS and a 500 M swap partition.
>The rest of 30514 MB were made a /home partition.

As long as the 16Mb /boot partition lies below the 1024 cylinder limit, LILO
v.21 should work fine.  But the kernel may have problems with the /home
partition in the upper part of the disk.  Getting a newer kernel is the only
solution.

--John Coffman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Hoffmann)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: CAUTION: I am under attack from an incompetent hacker probably in  germany
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 22:52:52 GMT

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:55:15 GMT, Roger Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:36:00 -0230, FellowTraveller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Your approach is kinda backward IMHO.  HTML, Java and XML formatting has a
>>place in the new world of the Internet.  Just because you support legacy
>
>That's a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned the Net is a text-only
>medium. I have no need for silly cartoons and sound effects with my
>information.
>
>--
>  Roger Blake
>  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

Unfortunately, the pervasive view seems to be that the Net is
for entertainment rather than for information ... and I fear
it is only going to get worse.

From: "Ralf Siedow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Something to monitor download speeds ?
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:54:07 +0200

> IPTraffic watches all connections and posts its results for your
webserver
> "apache" and viewable by looking at a page from it.

Where can I get it?

cu Ralf