From: Smitty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 23:11:58 -0400

Melvin Toy wrote:

> This may bring up an old argument.
>
> I been playing w/ linux for over a year and like it for a server very
> much. I've been starting hearing more and more about FreeBSD.  First
> from a FreeBSD hard-core who tells me if you have a web server running
> FreeBSD & another running Linux you won't see a performance difference
> w/ a thousand hits a day. However if you get a million hits a day,
> FreeBSD leaves Linux behind in the dust.  He also sees Linux in a few
> years becoming bloated like NT because stuff is being slapped on Linux
> left and right w/o any control. He says, "FreeBSD is slow to change but
> we're very stable." I asked one of our Linux instructor about this. He
> didn't know too much about FreeBSD but it didn't surprise him because he
> knows FreeBSD is more or less bulletproof and Linux still has security
> problems as a server. He was surprise FreeBSD didn't get more
> publicity.  I had another instructor pointed out though that most
> development is being done on Linux.  Then I read this big article over
> the Memorial Day weekend on FreeBSD and all these companies like Yahoo,
> Hotmail,etc running all their servers using FreeBSD.
>
> I'm about to set up 12 web servers w/ RH linux but now I'm not sure.
>
> I know this is an old argument but does it still hold today? Comments?
>
> Melvin

FreeBSD is an open source unix op sys.  The kernel has been audited for
security holes many times.
It is truly more secure than Linux.  However, It has less applications
ported to it and less hardware compatibility.  Therefore as a desktop or
workstation, it would be inferior to Linux, but as a firewall, and in some
cases, as a server, it would be superior to Linux.
Smitty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim)
Subject: RH 6.2: Seg Fault in Chunk-Free Malloc in control-panel
Date: 7 Jun 2000 03:19:33 GMT

After a rebuild of kernel 2.2.14-5.0 in Red Hat 6.2, control-panel seg faults
in chunk-free malloc under XFree86.

I've downloaded the kernel 2.2.14-12 update, and a lot of other updates, but
if anyone else has hit this and knows the problem, I'd like to know. I'll
apply the updates over the next few days.

I've rebuilt kernels for years, and never yet had a problem like this
arise until now.

Thanks,
Jim
remove "attack" for email

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Word in Linux
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 01:55:58 GMT

JCA wrote:
> I wonder if there is out there a tool that allows me to read, but not
> edit, MS Word documents under Linux.

Follow Peter's advice and use strings.  That way you occasionally get to
read things your correspondent never meant you to see.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: "Kevin Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "autoexec" for Linux
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 23:23:05 -0400

Thanks for the reply.

> >I've tried placing it in rc.local, .bashrc and some other places.
>
> ...and did it work, or not?

Nope

Previously, putting it into .bashrc caused the script to start but it kept
looping. Apparently restarting . . . the script command line repeated and
scrolled off of the screen until I did a Cntrl-C

When I put it into rc.local  the box would only boot to a bash# prompt.

I'll try specifying the full path as well as following your chmod
suggestion.

I'll post back so everyone hears how it turned out.

Thanks,

       -:>Kevin

------------------------------

From: Ed Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Linux uses lots of memory?
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 22:22:35 -0500

Martin Herrman wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 19:05:54 GMT, Robert L. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I have an 8Meg system, X run ( slow but run anyway for some game). If i
> > start netscape, it take ~45s. Changing webpage ( local ) ~10s.
> > I'll buy used parts latter today or tomorrow, so i'll have 16Meg instead.
>
> I have 233mhz, 32 mb ram, running Xfree 86 3.3.6.. I am using
> the windowmanager icewm and it is really fast!!! So.. no problems
> with less than 64 megs.. bull shit.. (ehm.. but restart netscape
> regularly when having not that much memory, but I guess that also
> is true with a 128 mb machine ;-)
>
> Martin
>
> P.S. someone with some optimize methods? I disabled 3 of my 6 consoles
> in the inittab file, am using a small windowmanager (icewm, black box
> would do as well) and i'm using pine and slrn as clients.. netscape
> as browser (sometimes lynx) and licq.. that will run fine.. but
> i'm an optime freak you know :-)

I've played with lots of window managers: IceWM, WindowMaker, Fvwm,
Fvwm2, twm, mwm, AfterStep, etc.  The main point in my case was to be
able to keep StarOffice open, along with two or three other apps and
have things stable at the same time.  IceWM is quick and light, but
Netscape is unstable on it, and locks up the whole GUI from time to
time.  Twm and Mwm are nice and light, but have too few options.  Fvwm
is only slightly faster than Fvwm2, and has fewer options.  The others
are distinctly fatter.  Then I stumbled across AnotherLevelUp, an
improvement over RedHat's AnotherLevel.  This thing pre-processes
everything for Fvwm2 with M4 macros, and has a fast cache system.  It
tames Netscape 4.x (no lock-ups in over a week), and makes Mozilla M15
rather well-behaved.  It has several improved config options and it is
VERY fast.  You'll find it at http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~jtl/ALU/ .

Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Open Source Windows Based X Server?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 03:37:48 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Banks) writes:
> A lot of people are after windows to linux connectivity via an X
> server.
>
> VNC is pretty good, but gets slow when using graphic intensive apps
> and needs the vncserver running on linux.
>
> MiX is no longer free and I don't know of any other free X servers for
> windows.  Does anyone know of any projects at the moment for Open
> Source X servers for windows?

I don't know of any, but you might want to ask about this on
comp.windows.x or one of its sub-groups. Although I'm sure a lot of
Linux users would be interested in such a project, it's there that
you'll find the real X experts.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Arthur Sowers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: What distribution is most popular?
Date: 7 Jun 2000 03:39:45 GMT

email and post...

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, jmt wrote:

> I was just curious on which Linux distribution is the most popular that is
> run by most users.

The way I would answer this is by saying you want a distro that has a good
chance to install without problems. To avoid a long story, I've had the
experience of having about a dozen CDROM disks with various recent
and relatively recent Linux versions and distros. I've also installed or
attempted to install all of them onto about five of my boxes. For whatever
reason, some of my CDROM disks seem not to be readible on some drives as
well as on other drives (I've also had this problem with Windows9X,
particularly earlier versions). I got one CDROM from the back of a book
and virtually non of my CDROM drives see anything on it. There were no
scratches on it either. I have a couple of Linux CDROM disks that crash on
install no matter what box I try them on. I had some success with
Caldera's ver 2.3. It installed on two boxes, but crashed on install on
two others. The version that did the best was Red Hat ver 5.2. I've done
two installs with RH ver 6.2, but the graphical install crashed. The text
version install worked just fine. One friend used RH 6.1 and also found
the graphical install to fail, but the text version install worked fine.
With RH 5.2, I've done a couple of dozen installs (I've managed to mess up
my own installs after the installs by doing stupid things and you have to
accept that you will learn by crashing from time to time, too, and
I've done re-installs for one reason or the other) on these five boxes
and virtually every attempted install resulted in a completed install that
would boot up either off the hard drive or a bootable floppy.

Don't forget that if you are getting into linux, you can't do reboots with
the reset switch! You'll trash your install. You need to do
"graceful" shutdowns. Get a UPS. Or, power failures will trash your
install. Also, read the book(s). You can get yourself into corners in
Linux, or do things at the command line, that you cannot back out of. When
you are stuck, or the keyboard locks up (yes, this can happen, and I've
gotten a couple of X-server crashes), you need to know how to log into a
second virtual terminal and either "kill" the locked up process or do a
"shutdown." Read the book first. Linux is very nice but it is also
very complicated.

I might suggest that you don't buy the Linux CDROM as a shrink wrap
purchase (because you always get a crapy thin book) from a software
store. Rather, go to Barnes & Noble bookstore or a Daltons, and go to the
computer section, and buy one of the 1000-1500 page books that has a CDROM
set inside the back cover. Particularly if you read the table of contents
and it has one or a few chapters on installation. You'll end up with a
big book of info AND the Linux CDROM for about the same price. I've also
seen earlier versions of Linux (on a CDROM) and Linux books in
"remainder" bookstores for about 1/3 of list price.

Personally, I'd recommend the Red Hat ver 5.2 if you can find it, or 6.2
(not earlier) version.

Also, read all the posts on the NGs to see what kind of problems people
are having and what they do to resolve them.

The magazine "Maximum Linux" comes out every two months and is about
$6. The magazine isn't that great, but they always have one or two CDROM
disks with a Linux distro and/or applications. So you might think about
that. Don't just buy the magazine, but read what they are offering on the
CDROM disk before you take a chance on it.

Art Sowers
(a newbie that has been reading the books too).

------------------------------

From: Eric Chow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System time setup?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 03:33:20 GMT

Hi,

Would you please to teach me how I can change the system time to local time
but not GMT time ?

When I installed the Linux, I set the System time to GMT, how can I change it
to my local time ? I use RedHat6.0

Best regards,
Eric

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Eisenberg)
Subject: Re: Partition Problem (1024 Cylinders)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 03:45:44 GMT

After I boot off the disk, is the newer version of LILO simple to
install?  Also if I don't get the newer version of LILO and the old
one isn't in the 1024 range, then how can I tell it to boot to Win98
when the boot disk isn't in?  Because right now nothing happens at
all. Thanks.  Paul

------------------------------

Subject: Re: DELL's Linux price is HIGHER than Win98
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:02 GMT

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' Because Dell figures that people will pay more for Linux.  Evidently Dell's
' marketing people have determined that their customers are prepared to pay a
' premium for not having Windows.

That sounds like the IBM cost schedule back in the days when they were
the king.  IBM charged for performance, not for the cost of
manufacture + profit.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

All bits are significant.  Some bits are more significant than others.
        -- Charles Babbage Orwell

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:02 GMT

Unused memory is wasted memory.

Unused disk space is wasted disk space.

Unused CPU is wasted CPU.

Windows uses it all and wastes it anyway ;-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Corel Office 2000 for Linux (Deluxe)
Date: 7 Jun 2000 02:59:54 GMT

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 10:42:06 -0500 Isabelle Banville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Has anyone else tried this product?

Well, not the Deluxe version.  Basically:  it's buggy, it's
surprisingly slow, and I really wish they had kept the SDCorp version
as their base, rather than trying to re-port the Windows version.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: News
Date: 7 Jun 2000 03:06:13 GMT

On 6 Jun 2000 13:41:15 GMT Martin Herrman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 06 Jun 2000 13:52:50 +0200, Thomas Heil \\ WIS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Is this the right Newsgroup for Inn questions ??
>
>Not really, try comp.os.linux.networks :-)

Not really, try news.software.nntp.  :-)
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to flush a TCP send queue for a port?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 03:56:28 GMT

I've been looking all over for something that will do this...
When I'm using Linux (RH 6.1) on the modem connected up to my
ISP using PPP,  I have a firewall setup to block output and input
that I don't want.  Well,  let's say that I'm using telnet or
something when all of the sudden my modem drops carrier.  Then I
call back up.  And when I do,  my system log will show repeated
REJECTED outputs from my machine.  It turns out that even though
that telnet process was killed,  my TCP send queue still wants to
send the telnet packets from my machine to the other machine.

My question is:  How do I flush the TCP send queue?  If I do
"netstat",  I see it's still trying to send something.  I want to
be able to kill all that stuff,  preferably before I make a new
PPP connection.

Any ideas?

From: "Toaster Tester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: Re: Sun Sparc faster then intel pentium: is this true????
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:23:07 GMT

I have read a few comparision of Intel vs. RISC processor and they tend to
come up the same.  For integer instructions on similar MHZ CPUs Intel and
RISC are usually even.  Where Intel loses big is floating point
instructions, RISC runs circles around Intel on floating point.

What I found odd in was in a recent Network Computing I believe they were
comparing NOS's.  In the performance test they used a Dell 600mhz Intel
server since all the NOS's were Intel based expept for Solaris.  The strange
part per the article Sun asked not to be included in the performance test
since they didn't have a comparable system.  I think a 64-bit Sparc and OS
would be interesting challenge to 32-bit CPU and OS.

Steve B.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 00:44:09 -0400
From: Kaushik Kuila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compilation Error

I'm new to compiling linux, and this is the first I'm trying this
exercise. I do the following steps:
make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
until this step everything seems fine. Then when I do a
make zImage
  I get the following error:

[root@Kuila linux]# make zImage scripts/split-include
include/linux/autoconf.h include/config gcc -D__KERNEL__
-I/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict- aliasing -pipe -fno-strength-reduce
-m486 -malign-loops=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-functions=0 -DCPU=686 -c -o
i nit/main.o init/main.c gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict- aliasing
-pipe -fno-strength-reduce -m486 -malign-loops=0 -malign-jumps=0
-malign-functions=0 -DCPU=686 -DUTS_MA CHINE='"i386"' -c -o init/version.o
init/version.c make -C kernel make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/kernel' make all_targets make[2]: Entering
directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/kernel' gcc -D__KERNEL__
-I/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict- aliasing -pipe -fno-strength-reduce
-m486 -malign-loops=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-functions=0 -DCPU=686 -DEXPO
RT_SYMTAB -c signal.c In file included from
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modversions-smp.h:35,
                 from
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modversions.h:30,
                 from /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/module.h:19,
                 from signal.c:10:
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modules-smp/i386_ksyms.ver:62:
warning: `cpu_data' redefined
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/asm/processor.h:175: warning: this is the
location of the previous definition RT_SYMTAB -c ksyms.c In file included
from /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modversions-smp.h:35,
                 from
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modversions.h:30,
                 from /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/module.h:19,
                 from ksyms.c:14:
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modules-smp/i386_ksyms.ver:62:
warning: `cpu_data' redefined
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/asm/processor.h:175: warning: this is the
location of the previous definition
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modules-smp/i386_ksyms.ver:72:
warning: `smp_num_cpus' redefined
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/smp.h:77: warning: this is the
location of the previous definition
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modules-smp/i386_ksyms.ver:98:
warning: `smp_call_function' redefined
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/smp.h:83: warning: this is the
location of the previous definition In file included from
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/interrupt.h:51,
                 from ksyms.c:21:
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/asm/hardirq.h:23: warning: `synchronize_irq'
redefined
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modules-smp/i386_ksyms.ver:78:
warning: this is the location of the previous definition In file included
from /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/interrupt.h:52,
                 from ksyms.c:21:
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/asm/softirq.h:72: warning: `synchronize_bh'
redefined
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modules-smp/i386_ksyms.ver:80:
warning: this is the location of the previous definition
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/kernel_stat.h: In function
`kstat_irqs': In file included from ksyms.c:17:
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/kernel_stat.h:44: `smp_num_cpus'
undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/kernel_stat.h:44: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only once
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/kernel_stat.h:44: for each function it
appears in.) make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/kernel' make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2 make[1]:
Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/kernel' make: *** [_dir_kernel]
Error 2
[root@Kuila linux]#

Can anyone please help me out ?
Thanks,
Kaushik

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Assorted beginner difficulties.
Date: 7 Jun 2000 04:51:44 GMT

Martin Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: hope to be able to recompile the kernel in such a way as to make it work.  I
: didn't understand UP, SMP or SOL, I had envisioned just updating the kernel

UniProcessor. Symmetric MultiProcessor, Sorely Out of Luck.

: patch level, can I swap from an SMP kernel to a UP kernel without a full

Swap? Just recompile it! Please read the kernel HOWTO.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serious fragmentation under Linux
Date: 7 Jun 2000 04:56:41 GMT

MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Art's explanation made a bunch of this more understandable, but everyone
: seemed to miss the point that I was talking about a single-user
: workstation setup, used primarily as learning tool.  In any case, I

Makes no difference. You are just one of many processes on your system.
The syslog daemon is probably more active than you are!