Linux-Misc Digest #890, Volume #24               Thu, 22 Jun 00 12:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: ifconfig required? ("Ross M. Greenberg")
  Re: NFS/StarOffice (Bugger)
  Setting keyrepeat with SUSE6.4 (Sam Jordan)
  NIC not activated (Greg F Walz Chojnacki)
  Re: Doesn't Print until Window closes (Thomas Dickey)
  Re: Can I run X on an old laptop? (acepea)
  Re: New Motherboard (Mike Frisch)
  *** LVM patch for kernel 2.2.16 is avaible !! *** ("Daniel Mehrmann")
  Re: New Motherboard (Akira Yamanita)
  adding another IP to eth0 (Stearns25)
  Printerque problem, URGENT. (Jimmy Lantz)
  smooth fonts under X ("Adrien LAURENT")
  files permission default (Shulan Liu)
  Re: Printerque problem, URGENT. (ASF)
  Looking for command line Linux version of Winpopup (Sean Akers)
  Re: New Motherboard ("Tom Brinkman")
  Re: files permission default (Dances With Crows)
  depslist.ordered mismatch to hdlist files, mandrake 7.1 (Broccoli Puffs)
  Re: Setting keyrepeat with SUSE6.4 (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Linux Faxserver - Windows NT Faxclient ("nedski")
  Re: Fonts ("Tom Brinkman")
  Re: Printerque problem, URGENT. (Jimmy Lantz)
  Re: Can I run X on an old laptop? ("David ..")

From: "Ross M. Greenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ifconfig required?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:45:16 -0400

Nope.  No netcfg: Corel.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Bugger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS/StarOffice
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:03:34 +1000

perhaps try the manpage for exports under link_relative
just a thought

------------------------------

From: Sam Jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setting keyrepeat with SUSE6.4
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:57:56 +0200

Hi

I am already trying for ages to get the keyrepeat working fine. After
another SUSE upgrade the problem happens again: there is a big delay
from the time the key is pressed until the first character is written.

Can anyone tell me how to define the keyrepeat behaviour ('xset r'
doesn't
seem to work here) or can anyone point me to other sources of
information/newsgroups?

bye
--
Sam Jordan

------------------------------

From: Greg F Walz Chojnacki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: NIC not activated
Date: 22 Jun 2000 13:07:02 GMT

I have a Linksys ISA NIC which seems to be working, but it's not being
activated at boot. It's eth0 on a Mandrake 6.x install.

ifconfig shows the card, but no IP number, and I can't ping my other
currently running machine.

If I run /usr/bin/netcfg it gets activated and I can ping the other machine

if I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart, it gets activated, and I can ping

Here are snippets of relevant files:

from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
        device = eth0
        ipaddr = 192.168.0.2
        ONBOOT = yes

from /etc/sysconfig/network:
        NETWORKING = yes
        FORWARD_IPV4 = yes

from /etc/rd.d/rc.sysinit:
        if [-f /etc/sysconfig/network]; then
        . /etc/sysconfig/network
        else
        NOETWORKING = no
        HOSTNAME = localhost

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Greg
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     UW-Milwaukee News Services & Publications    414/229-4454
http://www.uwm.edu/News/                                     FAX:414/229-6443

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Doesn't Print until Window closes
Date: 22 Jun 2000 13:56:38 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't knoiw why I didn't see the thing in the MAN page earlier. I
> must have been through that page about a dozen times. I guess it was
> farther than I had looked.

well I knew what I was looking for, so I just scanned for 'print'.

> Anyway, I can't see anywhere in there about how to specify the
> resources when I start xterm. I saw the -xrm option but I'm not sure
> how to present the resource string. Would it be "xterm -tn vt320 -xrm
> printerAutoClose=true"? I tried that and it didn't fix the problem. I

no - more like
        -xrm '*printerAutoClose:true'

> there a xterm configuration file where I can set resources? A good book

/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm
(or some variation of that)

> on this would be helpfull.

the O'Reilly books perhaps.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Can I run X on an old laptop?
From: acepea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:19:21 -0700

Any suggestions on partition size, swap file and which packages
to load?
Every time I load it stops giving error which generally says
that there isn't sufficient space. I don't want to occupy space
for stuff i'm not gonna user, like development tools, proxy
server etc....

-Sid

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: New Motherboard
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:25:08 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:48:19 GMT, Akira Yamanita
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Does anyone know if I have to reinstall Linux after I relace my
>> motherboard? I'm running a dual- boot system right now (Win 95 &
>> RedHAt 6.1)
>
>You shouldn't need to unless you recompiled your kernel to leave
>out support for devices that are on your new motherboard.

In which case, he'd have to rebuild a new kernel, not reinstall the entire
Linux installation.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Mehrmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: *** LVM patch for kernel 2.2.16 is avaible !! ***
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:24:24 +0200

Hello guys :-)

I write a LVM patch for linuxkernel 2.2.16 ! I send it to Heinz.
It's a agreement with Heinz that we should test it. I tested my patch
with 5 machines with SuSE and Debian. All so i used Reiserfs patch
3.5.22 for kernel 2.2.16. No problems :-))

Attension :
SuSE user must use the SuSE patch !!!!

Heinz looks at saturday into the patch and it's looks like good :-)

Patch is avaible at ftp://ftp.ping-net.de:/pub/linux/lvm

Please send bugs or errors to e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

greetings
Daniel Mehrmann

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:54:05 GMT

Mike Frisch wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:48:19 GMT, Akira Yamanita
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Does anyone know if I have to reinstall Linux after I relace my
> >> motherboard? I'm running a dual- boot system right now (Win 95 &
> >> RedHAt 6.1)
> >
> >You shouldn't need to unless you recompiled your kernel to leave
> >out support for devices that are on your new motherboard.
>
> In which case, he'd have to rebuild a new kernel, not reinstall the entire
> Linux installation.

I realized that I didn't add that after I had posted it. Yeah,
so I didn't go seek out my post either as I figured someone else
would catch it. <G>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stearns25)
Subject: adding another IP to eth0
Date: 22 Jun 2000 15:09:31 GMT

Hi all,

I am looking for the the command for adding anothe IP address to ethernet card
eth0 on my RH Linux 6.1 box?  Is there such command or do I need to modify some
files to accomplish this?

I can't do it with Linuxconf because the Linuxconf in this machine always
crashes with core dump, so I need to do it from the command prompt.  Any idea?

If eth0 has two IP addresses, does one of the IP have higher precedence than
the other?

thanks for any help on this.

-Stearns

------------------------------

From: Jimmy Lantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Printerque problem, URGENT.
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:26:21 +0200

I'm working for a department at Lund University, Sweden.
One of our printers stopped, wont print out anymore,
I myself ain't that good at Linux, but I manage.
But with this problem, (experienced it before) our regular guy working
with the servers had to take care of it. Currently in Spain.

I know that he stopped the printerque on the server and restarted it and
it solved the problem,
so how do I do that?
Before we had the GNOME interface on Redhat 5.x or 6.x.
But now he(the regular ROOT), changed it into Windows manager (or
something like that).
So I dont have access to an printer x-interface anymore/cant find it.

Could some please help me out.
Mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely
Jimmy Lantz
Sweden.

------------------------------

From: "Adrien LAURENT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: smooth fonts under X
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:26:57 +0200

Hi, I'd like to know if there is a soft or an option that enable u to make
X's fonts smoother.

Adrien
e-mail:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shulan Liu)
Subject: files permission default
Date: 22 Jun 2000 11:30:36 -0500

hi,
I recently got some odd thing form my file system.
For any new file I downloads or newly create, the permission
for group is writable.
Can anyone tell what does the problem come from?
thanks.

------------------------------

From: ASF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Printerque problem, URGENT.
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:35:26 +0200

you can come back to the gnome interface using switchdesk? You can also
try printtool (if you have root privileges) or directly kill the daemon
and restart it (idem)....

ASF

------------------------------

From: Sean Akers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for command line Linux version of Winpopup
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:51:42 +0100

I am looking for a command line version of Winpopup for Linux. So far,
I have only found Linpopup which is graphical. I need something I can
call from scripts and from the console.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers,

Sean.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:53:34 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jason B
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone know if I have to reinstall Linux after I relace my
> motherboard? I'm running a dual- boot system right now (Win 95 &
> RedHAt 6.1)

   I've done it twice (new motherboard and cpu) with W98 and Linux.
All systems were overclocked.

  Neither OS had problems, Linux didn't even blink, windoze wanted to
re-install some hardware (video card, modem, etc)

   I have heard some say they had to re-install Winblows.  I'd suggest
that after you get windoze settled down, run 'scanreg /fix' followed
by 'scanreg /opt' from a DOS (not DosMode) prompt.  I use this as a
regular method of maintaining the registry.  I never have to re-install
Windoze.   I run Mandrake 7.1, it's excellent at detecting and setting
up new hardware.
--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: files permission default
Date: 22 Jun 2000 11:54:41 EDT

On 22 Jun 2000 11:30:36 -0500, Shulan Liu
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I recently got some odd thing form my file system.
>For any new file I downloads or newly create, the permission
>for group is writable.
>Can anyone tell what does the problem come from?

RedHat does something weird by default, putting each user in a "user
private group" that consists of only that user.  If you're using RedHat,
then, you probably have nothing to worry about.  If not, it's easy enough
to fix--just execute the command "umask 022".  That command should be in
/etc/profile on all non-RedHat distros.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

------------------------------

From: Broccoli Puffs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: depslist.ordered mismatch to hdlist files, mandrake 7.1
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:56:20 GMT

Hi,

I followed the previous discussion on this topic, under "dammit' which I
said myself a few times!

Has anyone had any luck downloading the approx.1G of mandrake 7.1 and
then getting this feckin' mismatch error no matter how they try to change
the case of the filenames?

I'm not so sure, now, that it's a Linux case sensitivity problem.

I lean towards another flashy Mandrake Cooker oversight, but have no
proof.

I like Mandrake and yes, being primarily a graphics person, I also prefer
a GUI interface. I am getting awfully tired of these distrib problems.

Any suggestions?

thanks anyone-

James

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Setting keyrepeat with SUSE6.4
Date: 22 Jun 2000 11:58:11 EDT

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:57:56 +0200, Sam Jordan
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I am already trying for ages to get the keyrepeat working fine. After
>another SUSE upgrade the problem happens again: there is a big delay
>from the time the key is pressed until the first character is written.
>
>Can anyone tell me how to define the keyrepeat behaviour ('xset r'
>doesn't
>seem to work here) or can anyone point me to other sources of
>information/newsgroups?

As root, execute
kbdrate -r 30 -d 250
and see if that helps.  If so, put that line in /sbin/init.d/boot.local
.  Also, the KDE control panel has an option to change key repeat rate and
delay for individual users under X.

From: "nedski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Linux Faxserver - Windows NT Faxclient
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:55:13 +0100

I would be tempted to Use Fax2Send from Beacon Software works 100% from win
3.11,win95,win98,NT4
Server and Workstation, and its only $10.00 for a 5 user system of $99.00
for unlimited

regards

neil

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fonts
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:00:51 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Boddhisatva Troutwaxer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Sam Grossberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I just installed Linux-Mandrake 7 on one of my computers, and
> noticed the
>>relative lack of fonts.  Does anybody know where to download
> some free ones?
>>
> Also, what directory do the go in and will the same True Type
> fonts that work for Windows work for Linux?

   Go to a Mandrake 'cooker' ftp site and get 'drakfont....rpm'
It comes with 7.1, but works equally well with 7.0.  It's a simple
little GUI that lets you use your winblows fonts with all X apps,
with just a few clicks.  It even checks them for compatability.

From: Jimmy Lantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:06:07 +0200

Hi ASF,
I thank you for your advice although I would hope that you could
rephrase it to a bit more basic user level.
And yes I have root priv.
How do I activate printtool ? what comand so I use in a shell to
activate printtool.
Very gratefull for your help.
// Jimmy Lantz

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:56:39 -0500

acepea wrote:

> Any suggestions on partition size, swap file and which packages
> to load?
> Every time I load it stops giving error which generally says
> that there isn't sufficient space. I don't want to occupy space
> for stuff i'm not gonna user, like development tools, proxy
> server etc....

The general rule is to make a swap partition at least double the size of
physical memory. So if you have 24M of memory I would say 64 MB swap
would be enough possibly even 50 MB. The only partitions that are
mandatory are "/" which is root and "swap" so if you have a 64 MB swap
make the rest of the drive "/"

I'm not familiar with what Suse tries to install, but you should be able
to go through and sort out some things you don't need. With redhat it
will find dependencies that are needed by other programs. You should be
able to eliminate some of the internet programs.

Maybe:   xchat, talk, talk-server, rsync, pump, rusers, rwall-server,
rwall, rsh, exmh, telnel, telnet-server, mutt, samba-client,
samba-common, elm, irda-utils, rdate, rdist, tin, trn, tftp-server,
rwho, rusers, ftp, ftp servers, raidtools, nfs-utils, finger-server, and
some of the mail programs.

If you don't need a NFS system don't load portmap, ypbind, yptools,
ypserv,
Don't load KDE or Gnome, use a different X manager.

It's been a while since I did an install so I don't remember what all is
installed off hand.

There may be more that you may be able to cut the size of the install.
Some of it depends on what you want to do with it. You can always add or
remove things after the installation is done.

Just some ideas.
Hope this helps.