Linux-Misc Digest #904, Volume #24               Fri, 23 Jun 00 15:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux - Auto-logout - disable?? ("Angelo Bonet")
  Re: PMFirewall and ip-up (Randall Lee Mackie)
  Re: Upgrading glibc/gtk issue (John Todd)
  Realtek/ne2k-pci-module/Full Duplex (Thorsten Jungeblut)
  Re: Redhat upgrade HOW-TO? ("ywk@Redhat")
  Re: screen (and k2.2.16) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Netscape & Other Web Browsers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Novice needs a project (The Darkener)
  How to control Info's printing parameters? (Ken Sproule)
  ssh/rsh (Thorsten Jungeblut)
  Re: mirroring ide disk (The Darkener)
  setting time. (bobk)
  Re: HALTING Linux EXACTLY when I WANT TO.......!!!!!*smile* (The Darkener)
  Re: Source code for TOP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: setting time. (The Darkener)
  Re: setting time. (bobk)
  Re: Change multiple filenames all at once? (The Darkener)
  Re: Realtek/ne2k-pci-module/Full Duplex ("LhD Administrator")
  Re: setting time. (The Darkener)
  Windows Long file names under Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: info/texinfo to man pages (Tom Phelps)

From: "Angelo Bonet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux - Auto-logout - disable??
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:41:51 -0600

% man tcsh

------------------------------

From: Randall Lee Mackie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: PMFirewall and ip-up
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:00:59 -0700

Randall Lee Mackie wrote:

> This is my ip-up.local script, which works with PMFirewall:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # start pmfirewall
> #
> sh /usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall start

Also make sure ip-up.local is executable by root.

------------------------------

From: John Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrading glibc/gtk issue
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:50:22 -0700

        I also rate beginner- 7or 8 months later! I have seen this
sequence for simultaneous upgrade of interdependent packages:
rpm -Uvh package.one.rpm package.two.rpm
HTH

------------------------------

From: Thorsten Jungeblut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Realtek/ne2k-pci-module/Full Duplex
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:52:57 +0200

I've got a CNet PCI Network adapter (Realtek), which usually runs with
the ne2k-pci module.

Now I want to set the card to full duplex mode, so as the module,
supplied with SuSE 6.4 doesn't support full-duplex I downloaded the
newest version from

http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html

>> ("ne2k-pci.c:v1.01 4/15/2000 D. Becker/P. Gortmaker";)

which should partially support FD (Building the kernel with the original
module always succeeded!)

I replaced the modules and recompiles the kernel, but when building the
modules, it gave me an error.
I tried the newest (2.2.16) kernel, which contains and older version as
mentioned above, which _doesn't_ sopport FD.    ;...-(((
I also replaced the modules, and it gave me the same error.

Is ther anyone out there, who can tell me how to get this working???

I'm sorry I don't give you the error message, if it's needed, please
tell me...

Thanks a lot...

Thorsten

------------------------------

From: "ywk@Redhat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat upgrade HOW-TO?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:03:48 -0700

thanks very much, i think thats the easiest and safest way to do it.
thanks, bibi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: screen (and k2.2.16)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:37:35 +0100

jmoen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Hi there.
> Just upgraded my box to 2.2.16-0.4
> Everything works ok, but "screen" just will not work anymore.
> What happens is this:
>  I start screen (with or without a program attached), the monitor goes black
> and i get the prompt back saying "Screen is terminating".

I had a similar problem when I tried screen on SuSE 6.2.
I tried changing the term type... Nothing
I dug around in the man page and the first option in the list "-a" is the
one that fixes it... (include all capabilities)...

It worked... I have no idea what's causing it to fail without the -a switch
though.

> Thats it. No error, no log.
> I also ran "screen" in gdb getting this result:
> Program received signal SIGHUP, Hangup.
> 0x4010adb7 in __libc_pause () from /lib/libc.so.6

> I was wondering if this could have anything to do with the 2.2.16 kernel or
> what else it could be.

Not the kernel. I'm still using 2.2.10.

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:47:13 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc David Gallardo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not talking about you.  It sounds like you are quite the linux guru. But
> not everyone is as smart as you are.  For the purpose of this discussion, take
> yourself out of the equation.

> Suppose, for example, that your business-minded friend (not a technical type),
> who lives in Omaha, Nebraska wants a recommendation for a small computer
> network for a small business office of 8 people.  Could you honestly &
> responsibly--again, assuming they couldn't rely on you for help or
> support--recommend Linux and (presumably) StarOffice for all their office
> needs?  Who will they call when they can't get their documents to print on
> their nifty new HP printer (that has only Windows drivers?  HP?  Sun???

The "business minded friend" wouldn't be able to set up a windows network
either, would he? He'd have to call in *SOMEONE* to set things up.
So he might as well call someone to set up linux anyway. And he wouldn't be
moronic enough to buy a printer without first checking for compatibility
issues... (Another things the person he called in could advise him on).

> Linux is pretty cool.  When I download some nifty new software and have to
> recompile it for my setup, it's neat that I can do that,  but it's a pain that
> I have too.

You most certainly DON'T have to though, do you? Ever heard of RPMs?
Usefull, aren't they? Ever heard of .DEBs? Usefull, aren't they?

> I'm not complaining about Linux's quality, it just isn't ready
> for commercial, off-the-shelf deployment.

Neither is windows, but they've been trying to use it like that for 6 years.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netscape & Other Web Browsers
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:24:38 +0100

DarkStar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> J Bland wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 01:45:26 GMT, DarkStar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Netscape either causes my system to hang or completely kills the X
>> >server. I need to know of any other web browsers that are available.
>>
>> As a tip: turn off Java,

> Can't find this option.

Edit -> preferences -> advanced

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Novice needs a project
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:05:10 GMT

> PC #1:
>     CPU: 133 pentium
>     RAM: 96MB
>     OS: W98 2ed/Redhat 6.2 (dual boot)
>     ISP: cable-modem

Wow, how does this run 98?

> PC #2:
>     CPU: 75 pentium
>     RAM: 16MB
>     OS: ? probably Redhat 6.2 set up as server

Should work like a charm w/Linux.

> I'd just installed RedHat 6.2 and got that working with my cable modem when
> I inherited a second pc.  I've got a couple extra PCI NICs which I suppose I
> can install into it.  I've been told I can us an old weak pc as a server.

Yep.  Should work fine.

> Question: Would using that 75 as an internet server/firewall slow down my
> browsing on my 133?

Nope.  It really doesn't matter how fast/slow the "server" computer is, as long
as it's routing the traffic (via ipchains or whatever you're using to masqerade
the traffic back and forth) correctly.  There is documentation that explains how
you can run a Linux router/firewall off of a single floppy disk (I.E. no HDD
required).  I think it's called the LRP (Linux Router Project).

> How would I install these servers?  I imagine I would first install the pc
> as a server and then read the howtos.  Any gotchas or does this sound about
> right?

Ummm, read the howto's.  Depends on how seriously you want to take security.
You can set up a router with your machine in few steps, but implimenting
security is another thing.  Read as much as you can. Learn, learn learn.  That's
the only way you're going to understand and be able to impliment the strongest
security meant for your computers.

> Any other project ideas you can offer would be appreciated.  Also, I'm
> interested in learning Python and some shell programming.

Whatever you're interested in, dude.  Look on linux.com, linuxsecurity.com, and
the mass amount of other linux-centric websites for projects.  Right now I'm
implimenting Samba, remote x-clients, and stronger security (this will never
end!) into my home network/internet gateway.

> Extraneous info: I'm keeping my 133 as a dual boot.

Then definately use the other machine for a router.

> Thanks.

Your welcome. =)

------------------------------

From: Ken Sproule <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to control Info's printing parameters?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:20:23 GMT

Thanks in advance.

When I print a node in the Info program. It is set up to print 2 up on
a page in lanscape mode. However, the bottom couple of lines on each
page are cut off on my HP LaserJet II printer.

How and/or Where do I change Info's printing parameters.

Best,

Ken Sproule

From: Thorsten Jungeblut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: ssh/rsh
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 20:21:13 +0200

I need a solution to execute scripts or copy files automaticly to all
unix hosts (sun, sgi, linux,...) in different subnets with
root-privileges, for example for distributing new root passwords.

Until now, I use a script which is run as root from out nis-master and
which executes the wanted program via (again over nfs from the
nis-master) rsh on the remote hosts.
This is very slow, as there are several NT-Workstations, which don't
answer on the request, and I get a timeout after ~30 sec. I figured out,
that ssh2 recognizes this much faster, I get a connection refused after
1-2 sec.

1. Is there a way to tell rsh the time for trying to get the connection,
until it aborts?

2. I want to use encrypted connections using ssh, because rsh
connections will be disabled soon.
Is there a way to use ssh in the same way as rsh, where f.e. the
connections from the nis-master are allowed to all hosts (as root)

3. Is there a way to pass ssh(2) the right password automatically
(perhaps already encrypted), so that I don't allow even the nis-master
to connect as root to the other hosts without a given password???

4. Any other hints or sollution for the problem?????

Thanks in advance...

Thorsten

(sorry for my bad english)

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: mirroring ide disk
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:28:13 GMT

Disk mirroring (RAID Level 1) means that 2 HDD's (on the same
controller) "mirror" information in realtime.  It's not a 'backup' thing
that runs from a cron job... Not sure how to set it up, but look at
how-to's.  I'm sure there's one for disk mirroring.  A quick search on
Yahoo! came up with:

http://teak.wiscnet.net/linux-mirror-cookbook/

Remember that the only thing mirroring/duplexing is good for (really) is
hardware redundance.  If someone does a "rm -rf /", you'd better believe
that it will be "mirrored" to the other drive in realtime.  There's no
escaping a good backup plan. =)

Later,
The Darkener

------------------------------

Subject: setting time.
From: bobk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:32:40 -0700

I am running Storm flavored Linux, and ,this may sound pretty
dumd, but I can't figgure out how to set the time...On my Red
Hat, it is right in system...also SUSI is the same
problem....Please feel free to laugh, as you explain this to
me....Thanks....bobk

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: HALTING Linux EXACTLY when I WANT TO.......!!!!!*smile*
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:39:41 GMT

"man shutdown"

You can find all of the information on implimenting times/dates to shutdown
w/the man page.  If you need to constantly turn off the computer at 10:00pm
every night, you'll need to run it as a cron/at job.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.linux,comp.unix.aix
Subject: Re: Source code for TOP
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:26:09 GMT

I'm a little suprised that no one knows about
this site...  sunfreeware.com.  Go there and you
can get all of the GNU-ish stuff for solaris you
want.  And all you have to do to "install it" is
pkgadd -d ... (see the install link on the upper
left frame.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Jeff Carlson

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Also, what about the solaris, aix, and hp
platforms?
> > > Will the linux code compile on those
platforms?

> > Most likely - with some adjustments.
>
> linux top uses the linux specific /proc
hieriarchy.  i'd be very

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting time.
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:40:49 GMT

Laugh! (Well, you told us to. =p~)

Try "date".  You can set the time and date with this one.

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Change multiple filenames all at once?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:57:03 GMT

I might be WAY off on this, because it seems so simple to me as opposed to
all of the other posts in this thread... but wouldn't this work?

$ mv * *.html

if they're all in the same directory (and you're correct in saying that
none of them have the .html ext., or an extention at all?)

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

------------------------------

From: "LhD Administrator" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Realtek/ne2k-pci-module/Full Duplex
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:57:26 GMT

> Now I want to set the card to full duplex mode, so as the module,
> supplied with SuSE 6.4 doesn't support full-duplex I downloaded the
> newest version from

Unless you have some *really special* reason to enable full-duplex, it
probably
won't bring any performance benefit and can cause problems on some networks.
For performance, a non-NE2000-based NIC is probably the first thing you
would
benefit from.

> I'm sorry I don't give you the error message, if it's needed, please
> tell me...

That said, the error messages you received would be very helpful, please
post
them.

--
LhD Administrator
Linux Hardware Database : Linux Device Drivers & Hardware Compatibility

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:57:43 GMT

"man date"

The date command with the appropriate options will set your date/time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Windows Long file names under Linux
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:53:35 GMT

Does anybody know how to mount dos partitions under Linux
(e.g. under  /mnt/dos) and keep the Windows long file names unchanged
(and/or still Capitalized)?  Such as keeping X336contrib.tgz as is,
rather than something like x336co~1.tgz (lowercase x, ~1, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Phelps)
Subject: Re: info/texinfo to man pages
Date: 23 Jun 2000 19:01:58 GMT

John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Much documentation from the gnu project is in the form of either
> info or texinfo files which I find difficult to use.

TkMan integrates man pages and Texinfo.  Check out
http://tkman.sourceforge.net

Tom