Linux-Misc Digest #871, Volume #24               Tue, 20 Jun 00 06:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: exec cgi, very simple question. (Nate Eldredge)
  Re: Message in /var/log/message and TCP (Villy Kruse)
  Choice of Linux / Unix as second OS
  Re: Installing a printer from the command line ("HellNo")
  Re: Netscape can't handle drop-down select boxes (Dries van Oosten)
  Re: Netscape & Other Web Browsers (James Lee)
  Re: Netscape & Other Web Browsers (J Bland)
  Re: Stability of the Culture of Helpfulness (J Bland)
  Re: Using Linux as a proxy server? (Didzis Klavins)
  Re: Installing Windoze and Linux (Thomas Hommel)
  Install sources ("HellNo")
  Display IRQs in Linux ("Gungmas")
  Re: External Modem`s (Richard Watson)
  Boot disk creation problem (Infamous Capt Potato)
  Re: LILO installation ("Michael Turner")
  Re: Display IRQs in Linux (Paul Colquhoun)
  line in use? /dev/cua0 (Christoph Kukulies)
  Re: ISO image ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  PMFirewall and ip-up (James Campbell Andrew)
  Re: PMFirewall and ip-up (Kevin Ford)
  how to start X windows under RH linux? ("Lu Bingwen")

From: Nate Eldredge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: exec cgi, very simple question.
Date: 20 Jun 2000 00:12:19 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Some commands behave differently depending on where their output
> is going. Specifically, whether the output is going to a terminal,
> a file or a pipe. This is actually very useful. For example:
>
> If "list" is a file containing one item per line like this:
>
> foo
> bar
> blah
>
> You want a script to do something with each item. Then you would expect
> the following not to work because of the line breaks in the file:
>
> for i in `cat list`
> do
>       <something>
> done
>
> But it does work because cat knows that its output is not going to a
> terminal. So it uses spaces instead of line breaks. So the shell sees:
>
> for i in foo bar blah
>
> It's also very useful for things like:
>
> rm `find . -name core -print`
>
> Again, the output of the find command ends up all on one line which
> makes it suitable as an argument list for rm.

This is wrong.

"cat list" doesn't care where its output is going, and it still
outputs the words one to a line.  However, the *shell* splits words
apart at any whitespace, which includes newlines.  So the effect is in
fact "for i in foo bar blah", but not for that reason.

--

Nate Eldredge

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Message in /var/log/message and TCP
Date: 20 Jun 2000 07:20:16 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:45:45 GMT,
        Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 19 Jun 2000 20:30:05 GMT, brian moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Sounds like you have two copies of inetd running.
>
>Yes, after the 6.2 upgrade it is probably starting both via inetd
>and init.d.

Both of inetd processes started from inetd and init.d?
        ^^^^^

Probably thinking about identd or in.identd; the auth server.

Villy

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Choice of Linux / Unix as second OS
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 07:31:08 GMT

I run Win98 on my home machine for general tasks like email, browsing,
games, and multimedia, but at school (I'm a physics grad student), I spend
a great deal of time on unix accounts.  I know that most computer clusters
at university and gov't labs (in fact most of the physics community) run
unix clusters or Linux boxes, so I'd like to set up something similar at
home in order to become more familiar with my future work environment.

What suggestions do you have on choosing my second OS?

[note: if it helps, I edit code and kumacs with emacs, I use PAW for
graphical analysis, and I'd like to install Mathematica on my home machine]

From: "HellNo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing a printer from the command line
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:43:07 -0700

Thank you all for your support :)
HN

news:8ikiga$b4l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dries van Oosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape can't handle drop-down select boxes
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:53:38 +0200

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Elden Fenison wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:06:57 GMT,
> Joeri Sebrechts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Netscape 4.73 is dead anyway.
> >Try mozilla (www.mozilla.org), I haven't checked the latest linux
> >builds, but the latest windows builds were very decent. And yes, it
> >supports java, and no, you don't have to compile it yourself.
>
> Right Joeri, I've installed Mozilla, but the end-user support for it
> appears to be non-existent.  Mozilla.org is full of support, but it's all
> for developers.  What about the end user?  Even the newsgroups are for the
> developers.

Mozilla is still betaware isn't it? That means that end users officialy
don't exist yet. If you use it, you're more like a beta tester.

Groeten,
Dries

------------------------------

From: James Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape & Other Web Browsers
Date: 20 Jun 2000 08:00:52 GMT

DarkStar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> As a tip: turn off Java,

> Can't find this option.

Edit > Preferences > Advanced

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Date: 20 Jun 2000 01:20:00 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:15:14 GMT, DarkStar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>J Bland wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 01:45:26 GMT, DarkStar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Netscape either causes my system to hang or completely kills the X
>> >server. I need to know of any other web browsers that are available.
>>
>> As a tip: turn off Java,
>
>Can't find this option.

edit -> preferences -> advanced

I have Java turned off all the time unless something specifically needs it
for my viewing. Which only happens once in a blue moon. Could probably do
the same with Javascript, though that seems to be used more.

The philosophy being: the less things it's running the less chance there is
of one of them cocking up.

Even so, NS is still one crazily wobbly browser.

Frinky

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Stability of the Culture of Helpfulness
Date: 20 Jun 2000 01:26:33 GMT

> o Buy and use a boxed set of a good Linux distribution, so
>   a good manual is available for it.  Keep it handy in a
>   central place for all users.
>
> o Buy at least six good books on Linux and keep them avail-
>   able in the same place.  Have a sign-out sheet so people
>   can find them when they've disappeared.
>
> o Set up an internal News (NNTP) server for company use only,
>   with a few newsgroups for Linux support.

[etc]

> o Each Linux user in the company should spend time helping
>   less knowledgeable users, for example by answering ques-
>   tions posted in the internal company support newsgroups
>   and by adding items to the FAQ.
>
> o Each knowledgeable Linux user in the company should spend
>   time answering questions in the external -- community --
>   Usenet newsgroups.
>
> o Make sure everyone in the company gets a copy of this
>   document, and keeps it handy.  8^)

Wow, wouldn't life be GREAT if it really worked like that ;0).

Imagine it; a world in which people were actually trained to use their
computers effectively and their company set it up so as to help their
employees help themselves and each other.

I'm getting goosepimples just thinking about it...

Frinky

------------------------------

From: Didzis Klavins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using Linux as a proxy server?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:32:45 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >  * a httpd: apache
>
> Only if you need it. Apache is not particularly easy to configure,
> and security holes are not unheard of. You may be better off placing
> it on a different host than the firewall. (Or on two hosts, if you
> need both an internal and an external server.)

What about running Apache only for intranet (external requests disabled
through ipchains)? Is it still a security hole?

------------------------------

From: Thomas Hommel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Windoze and Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:02:46 +0200

Simon Lemieux wrote:

> Hi,
>         I'm going to need Windoze...  I just got hired to write plugins for 3dStudio
> and I don't even know how it works...  So I need Windoze to play with it...  I
> know Windows will complain if it's not in the first partition or something like
> that...
> Now, I'm very familiar with fdisk (linux), but can someone show me a good
> partition table for linux&windows?
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1       751   6032376   83  Linux
> /dev/hda2           752       784    265072+   5  Extended
> /dev/hda5           752       784    265041   82  Linux swap
>
> hda1 is /root
Right.

> hda2 is /boot (i think?)
No. hda2 is an extended partition that only contains hda5 (see the
identical start and end numbers)

> hda5 is swap
Right.

> What should I add where?  Also, I not familiar with LILO and I don't have a
> floppy disk drive...

What you need is the following:
A windoze partition that starts within the first 2 gig of your drive.
A /boot partition also within the first 2 gig.
So IŽd recommend this layout:
part.   size            type            system
hda1    20 meg          primary         linux   # this is /boot
hda2    (what you need  primary         FAT32   # marked active (bootable)
        for windoze)
hda3    the rest of hda3 primary        linux   # this is /
hda4    256 meg         primary         linux swap

You can move your existing partitions with partition magic or do a
complete reinstall. Note that you cannot any more partitions with this
layout. But if you add an extended partition, you might have to do a
complete reinstall.

Tom

------------------------------

From: "HellNo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install sources
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:17:28 -0700

I have a couple of simple questions for a Linux master ;)

I am running RH6.1 on a i486 Kernel 2.2.12-20   No Xwindows installed.

The first one would be... How do I install the sources when I forgot to do
at the 1st installation?

The second... What file do I open to edit the current kernel settings so
that I don't have to go through the whole business of checking each
parameter?

Many thanks in anticipation for your answers.
HN

PS: A bonus question but I think I know the answer to that one ;)  Is Linux
as bad in Upgrades as M$ or can I relly on one to move from 6.1 to 6.2?

------------------------------

From: "Gungmas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Display IRQs in Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:36:40 +0200

I am having some trouble with my Linus system om a system where Windows
works OK so I'm suspecting som system conflict that Windows might fix via
plug and pray an Linux does not.
How can I display the IRQ settings (an possibly DMA settings with memory
addresses) in Linux?
Thank's in advance!
Gungmas

------------------------------

From: Richard Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: External Modem`s
Date: 20 Jun 2000 09:50:28 +0100

Joeri Sebrechts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It's not guaranteed that an external modem is not a winmodem (and thus
> likely to only work in windows). I've seen external winmodems before.

Do you know how one of these works (a non-usb one)?

I've yet to see an external serial port modem that's a winmodem.

--
Richard Watson                                  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentagon Web Design Ltd                         ICQ:   65274884

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Infamous Capt Potato)
Subject: Boot disk creation problem
Date: 20 Jun 100 08:57:40 GMT

Hello people,

I am trying to create a boot disk, but have had some problems. I am using
an LS120 drive (/dev/hdc) to do so, as I do not have a normal floppy drive.
I have tried two ways so far, as follows:

1. dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/hdc bs=8192

Doing it this way suggests that it has worked (I get no error
messages), but
when I test the boot disk (a normal 1.44mb disk in the LS120 drive),
I get the
following text:

Uncompressing Linux...

invalid compressed format (err=1)

--System halted_

2. mkbootdisk --verbose --device /dev/hdc 2.2.14-15mdk

The following is the test output from Konsole:

Insert a disk in /dev/hdc. Any information on the disk will be lost.
Press <Enter> to continue or ^C to abort:
Formatting /dev/hdc... done.
Copying /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-15mdk... done.
Creating initrd image... done.
Setting up lilo... done.
mknod /tmp/dev.0: No such file or directory

I use Lilo to boot the system normally, am using Mandrake 7.0, only
have the LS120 drive (no normal floppy drive).

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Anthony.

                     The Infamous Captain Potato
                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                Die Toten Hosen - Until the Bitter End
                       Bis zum bitteren Ende
                       http://go.to/deadpants

------------------------------

From: "Michael Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO installation
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:51:54 +0100

SOunds like you need to reconfigure lilo.  Now then - you did make a
bootdisk when it gave you the option during install - didn't you?  Boot
using the bootdisk and go to /etc.  It may be enough to simply run lilo :
/etc/lilo

If that don't work then there is something screwy in you /etc/lilo.conf
file.  You can edit it in vi and then run lilo as above.  If this don't
work, copy your lilo.conf and post it with details of where any partitions
are, both windows (ugh!) and linux and someone will be able to solve it for
you.

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Subject: Re: Display IRQs in Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:42:44 GMT

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:36:40 +0200, Gungmas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|I am having some trouble with my Linus system om a system where Windows
|works OK so I'm suspecting som system conflict that Windows might fix via
|plug and pray an Linux does not.
|How can I display the IRQ settings (an possibly DMA settings with memory
|addresses) in Linux?

These are available in the /proc directory.

try
cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: line in use? /dev/cua0
Date: 20 Jun 2000 09:46:19 GMT

Redhat 6.1:

I want to simply do a cu -l /dev/cua0 -s 9600 and I'm getting:

# cu -l /dev/cua0 -s 9600
cu: open (/dev/cua0): Permission denied
cu: /dev/cua0: Line in use
crw-------   1 root     root       5,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/cua0

ttyS0 same picture.

I'm not seeing any getty processes on these ttys.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ISO image
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:36:36 GMT

excuse me, does any one know how to make a bootable ISO9660 image by
linux?
Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Campbell Andrew)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: PMFirewall and ip-up
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:06:51 +0100

I'm having a problem gtting PMFirewall to start properly from
/etc/ppp/ip-up.local

I'm using pppd with demand dialing and that part of it seems to be ok.
When I attempt to access the outside world the link comes up, but even
though I have the following command in ip-up.local:

/usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall start

it never starts firewalling (or ip forwarding for that matter). I know
that ip-up.local is being executed because if I put:

touch /home/jim/itworks

in it, that file is created ok. If I run the firewall by typing
/usr/local...etc at the prompt (as root) it works fine.

I've tried erasing the entry in ip-up.local and re-running the install
script for PMFirewall and spcifying that it should come up when ppp is
established but it has no effect.

I'm probably doing something very simple wrong, but I can't for the life
of me see wat it is.

TIA

Jim
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  - Vertigo 1

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Ford)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: PMFirewall and ip-up
Date: 20 Jun 2000 11:07:06 GMT

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 14:06:51 +0100, James Campbell Andrew
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm having a problem gtting PMFirewall to start properly from
>/etc/ppp/ip-up.local
>
>I'm using pppd with demand dialing and that part of it seems to be ok.
>When I attempt to access the outside world the link comes up, but even
>though I have the following command in ip-up.local:
>
>/usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall start
>
>it never starts firewalling (or ip forwarding for that matter). I know
>that ip-up.local is being executed because if I put:
>
>touch /home/jim/itworks
>
>in it, that file is created ok. If I run the firewall by typing
>/usr/local...etc at the prompt (as root) it works fine.
>
>I've tried erasing the entry in ip-up.local and re-running the install
>script for PMFirewall and spcifying that it should come up when ppp is
>established but it has no effect.
>
>I'm probably doing something very simple wrong, but I can't for the life
>of me see wat it is.
>
>TIA
>
>Jim
>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  - Vertigo 1
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Does it work if you manually type it after your link is up?

Have you tried calling a script that calls the command, which would be
more sensible anyway, as it would give you the chance to do something if
the call fails.

--

---

Seti:
   Name (and URL) kevf123
   Your rank out of 2092675 total users is: 492318th place.
   The total number of users who have this rank: 7491
   You have completed more work units than: 76.116% of our users.

From: "Lu Bingwen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: how to start X windows under RH linux?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:41:32 +0800

I am a Linux newbie. I just installed RedHat Linux 6.2 server version.
However, I have no idea how to start X windows (Gnome) after I login. Any
suggestion? Send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks a lot a lot.

ben