Linux-Misc Digest #910, Volume #24               Fri, 23 Jun 00 23:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: Easy way to send files through FTP... (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Tin newsreader (Andrew Purugganan)
  Re: Change multiple filenames all at once? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: How to speed up Netscape under Linux? (Charles Philip Chan)
  Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: tool for joining various (text) files, editing and splitting them (Uwe Brauer)
  Re: screen (and k2.2.16) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Netscape & Other Web Browsers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Redhat upgrade HOW-TO? ("ywk@Redhat")
  Re: setting time. (The Darkener)
  Newbie: Screen Saver Problem (Marcus)
  Can't set password (jay)
  Re: Easy way to send files through FTP... (mark carroll)
  Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments (Floyd Davidson)
  general question? ("Keith")
  Re: general question? (Dowe Keller)
  Re: POSIX, what the heck...??? (Bob Nelson)
  Re: mind hours in development Linux vs. Windows (John Hasler)
  Re: Tin newsreader (Mary P)
  Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments (Dowe Keller)
  Re: Tin newsreader (Mary P)
  Re: info/texinfo to man pages (John Culleton)
  Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Change multiple filenames all at once? (Vilmos Soti)

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GNU/LINUX at city of Boston Public Library departments
Date: 23 Jun 2000 16:23:03 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>>>    > I've never seen Vi or Emacs reformat a document capriciously and
>>>    > maliciously.  Vi and Emacs don't seem to have an autosave
>>>    > feature that saves the document you are working on every five
>>>    > minutes just incase the computer crashes.
>>>
>>>Don't know about Vi but X/Emacs does have an outosave feature.
>>>
>>>Charles
>>
>>Which very few people ever turn on, because they are running it
>>on a unix box,  which doesn't crash 3 times a day.
>
>       It's typically on by default.

Yes.  I should have said most users eventually turn off, because ...

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Easy way to send files through FTP...
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.networking,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.programming
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:34:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hendrix wrote:
>Hi guys.
>
>Is there a quick and easy method of sending a file to an FTP
>site...!!!!!!!  I looking for a shell script, perl script, C/C++
>program...  Anything, as long as it is fairly simple...

Use ncftpput.  It's part of the ncftp package (installed on
most distros).  Guess what ncftpget does?

ncftpput(1)                                           ncftpput(1)

NAME
       ncftpput - Internet file transfer program for scripts

SYNOPSIS
       ncftpput  [options]  remote-host  remote-directory  local-
       files...

       ncftpput -f login.cfg  [options]  remote-directory  local-
       files...

       ncftpput -c remote-host remote-path-name < stdin

OPTIONS
   Command line flags:
       -u XX   Use username XX instead of anonymous.

       -p XX   Use password XX with the username.

[...]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now, let's SEND OUT
                                  at               for QUICHE!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: Tin newsreader
Date: 24 Jun 2000 01:17:37 GMT

Bryan Hoyt ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi! I want to figure out how to use tin properly eventually, but at the
: moment, can someone please just tell me a quick way to download, say, the
: last 50 messages from a newsgroup (rec.music.classical) on to a specific file on my
:hard
: drive, and do that only. I've tried various things, but they all seem to
: take forever, and never get finished, or at least take far longer than it
: seems it should.
I remember when I had tin, I had to do this one BIG MASSIVE LOAD once
only, then I marked them all as 'READ', just so that the next time I
called tin with -nrq (or something like that), I only get new threads and
messages. Maybe you grab a soda while this is going on...
...on the other side of town ;-)
--
jazz  annandy AT dc DOT seflin DOT org
Registered linux user no. 164098

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Change multiple filenames all at once?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 01:46:32 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:57:03 GMT, The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I might be WAY off on this, because it seems so simple to me as opposed to
>all of the other posts in this thread... but wouldn't this work?
>
>$ mv * *.html

In DOS, but not in Unix shells  Try it.  You'll end up with only one
file, or mv will complain that the last name is not a directory.  Why
(and understanding why is important)?  Because the shell expands the
wildcards, not the mv command.  If you have files named "1", "2" and
"3", mv will see:

mv 1 2 3

There are no ".html" files, so that expands to nothing.  The resulting
command tells mv to move "1" and "2" both to "3".  Not what you wanted
in this case but maybe just the ticket if "3" is a directory.

This is a fundamental difference from DOS where each program handles
wildcards its own way.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Date: 23 Jun 2000 17:09:44 -0800

Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 23 Jun 2000 11:54:42 GMT, "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> It's replacing a deficit in mentality that I don't lack.
>
>It's not a question of mentality. It's a question of getting the
>job done. Using a word processor isn't my job: It's a tool I use
>to get my job done. A WYSIWYG tool is much faster to learn and
>use for 99% of the people in the world... at all levels of
>"intelligence". But don't take my word for it. Go out and take a
>look at what people run on their desktops. It ain't Unix/Linux
>and vi, that's for sure.

That last bit is true, but that is a mixture of history and
marketing.  Anyone who says Microsoft is not as good as it
gets when it comes to _marketing_ is missing something.

But anyone who thinks Microsoft is as good as it gets when
it comes to software tools, is missing just as much.

You have confused the two.

>>Isn't that easier than floundering around looking
>>for menus and shortcuts?
>
>Yes, I'd much rather flounder around with an archaic text editor
>and a formatting language that's ancient history.

I would rather get the best results.  It is not any easier to
learn one or the other to a level of significant competency.  I
won't even grant that packages like Word are easier to learn up
to the the point of actually producing a printed page with
something readable on it with default formatting. And that level
of understanding is barely more than worthless.  They are
equally difficult from that point up to the "master" level.  And
when it comes to *really* knowing how to generate virtually
anything you want, the text editor/typesetting software wins
hands down (if for no other reason, just because you *can't*
learn how to do what a WYSIWYG can't do).

Actually, I don't think most users of WYSIWYG word processing
ever get past the mediocre level.   What percentage use anything
that is not a default "style" or available via a GUI button?
My bet is the percentages for TeX/LaTeX users is *far* higher.
(Obviously, with TeX it necessarily is higher. :-)

  Floyd

--

Subject: Re: How to speed up Netscape under Linux?
From: Charles Philip Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Jun 2000 21:36:57 +0500

    > Using squid as proxy instead of netscape, my Linux browser is as
    > fast (if not faster) than Windows.

Squid is great, but I find wwwoffle better for dialup connections
because:

(1) It lets you browse offline

(2) You can request and monitor pages to download or update
    automatically next time when you are online.

(3) It is lighter weight then Squid

Charles

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:47:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc David Gallardo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not talking about you.  It sounds like you are quite the linux guru. But
> not everyone is as smart as you are.  For the purpose of this discussion, take
> yourself out of the equation.

> Suppose, for example, that your business-minded friend (not a technical type),
> who lives in Omaha, Nebraska wants a recommendation for a small computer
> network for a small business office of 8 people.  Could you honestly &
> responsibly--again, assuming they couldn't rely on you for help or
> support--recommend Linux and (presumably) StarOffice for all their office
> needs?  Who will they call when they can't get their documents to print on
> their nifty new HP printer (that has only Windows drivers?  HP?  Sun???

The "business minded friend" wouldn't be able to set up a windows network
either, would he? He'd have to call in *SOMEONE* to set things up.
So he might as well call someone to set up linux anyway. And he wouldn't be
moronic enough to buy a printer without first checking for compatibility
issues... (Another things the person he called in could advise him on).

> Linux is pretty cool.  When I download some nifty new software and have to
> recompile it for my setup, it's neat that I can do that,  but it's a pain that
> I have too.

You most certainly DON'T have to though, do you? Ever heard of RPMs?
Usefull, aren't they? Ever heard of .DEBs? Usefull, aren't they?

> I'm not complaining about Linux's quality, it just isn't ready
> for commercial, off-the-shelf deployment.

Neither is windows, but they've been trying to use it like that for 6 years.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |

From: Uwe Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tool for joining various (text) files, editing and splitting them
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:39:24 GMT

Tyler Durden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a simple tool to join various (text) files (which say
> > have the same extension, but are located in various directories) to a
> > single file, editing them and finally splitt them again.
>
> man cat
> man split
>
> --tyler

Yep, but first it is non trivial to use these commands for various
files and set marks such that cat and split works smoothly together,
so I thought some comfortable tool may exist which does the job for
you.

Uwe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: screen (and k2.2.16)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:37:35 GMT

jmoen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Hi there.
> Just upgraded my box to 2.2.16-0.4
> Everything works ok, but "screen" just will not work anymore.
> What happens is this:
>  I start screen (with or without a program attached), the monitor goes black
> and i get the prompt back saying "Screen is terminating".

I had a similar problem when I tried screen on SuSE 6.2.
I tried changing the term type... Nothing
I dug around in the man page and the first option in the list "-a" is the
one that fixes it... (include all capabilities)...

It worked... I have no idea what's causing it to fail without the -a switch
though.

> Thats it. No error, no log.
> I also ran "screen" in gdb getting this result:
> Program received signal SIGHUP, Hangup.
> 0x4010adb7 in __libc_pause () from /lib/libc.so.6

> I was wondering if this could have anything to do with the 2.2.16 kernel or
> what else it could be.

Not the kernel. I'm still using 2.2.10.

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netscape & Other Web Browsers
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:24:38 GMT

DarkStar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> J Bland wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 01:45:26 GMT, DarkStar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Netscape either causes my system to hang or completely kills the X
>> >server. I need to know of any other web browsers that are available.
>>
>> As a tip: turn off Java,

> Can't find this option.

Edit -> preferences -> advanced

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: "ywk@Redhat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat upgrade HOW-TO?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:03:48 GMT

thanks very much, i think thats the easiest and safest way to do it.
thanks, bibi

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting time.
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:40:49 GMT

Laugh! (Well, you told us to. =p~)

Try "date".  You can set the time and date with this one.

------------------------------

From: Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie: Screen Saver Problem
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:14:03 +0800

Dear all,

I have just installed Redhat 6.2.
I would like to set a screen saver in GNome X window,
but most of them doesn't work, I can see the preview in "screen saver
setup"
but after setting the trigger time and clicking 'OK' button, then I wait
for it.

when time is up, the screen is blank, and NO screen saver (the graphic)
is shown.

why is that? how can I solve the problem?
(it happens also when I used RH6.0)

Thanks a lot,
Marcus

------------------------------

From: jay <"jbeatty at"@ newharbor.com>
Subject: Can't set password
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 02:18:10 GMT

I lost my password. I'm running rh6.2. So  I edited /etc/passwd to
delete passwords.  Worked fine. No password needed to login.

So then I used passwd to set a new password. No complaints seemed to
work fine. But...

tried to login with new password. didn't work!!  passwd had changed
passwd  password  to "x". Deleted and tried again. Same thing. One
problem is that /etc was on a bad disk, which I've now replaced. Is
there some file missing?

So now, how do I set  a password for root?

thanx

jay

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark carroll)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.networking,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.programming
Date: 24 Jun 2000 02:18:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hendrix  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(snip)
>My system doesn't have any output when I look for ncftp...  Where would
>I be able to find it...???

Did you actually try looking? www.ncftp.com, my first guess, yielded
fruit.

-- Mark

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Date: 23 Jun 2000 17:25:50 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Demas)  wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Rich Braun  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Floyd Davidson wrote:
>>
>>> Do you really think that the vi or emacs of today is the same
>>> one that was around in 1980????
>>
>>Well, it's *possible* that vi has changed since then.  But I only use the
>>commands that I learned in 1978.
>
>FWIW, vim (a vi clone) is better, especially in that it has built in
>help capability.  Learning vi is VERY painful.
>
>But vim may not be installed on all variants of unix, so using special
>stuff in vim may not be the best approach if you must work on many
>systems.

Y'all have heard the rumor (which I've never seen denied) that
has been going around for at least 10-12 years now, that Bill
Joy switched to Emacs?

Maybe that says something... ;-)

  Floyd

From: "Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: general question?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:37:51 -0400

Hey I'm thinking of installing CorelLinux on my system. I currently know
[nothing] about linux and I'm wondering if it has a GUI like windows. I know
that the installation program has a gui, but does the actual OS have it too,
like windows. Is it easy to use or very difficult? I heard that some people
actually get the GUI seperately from the kernel--is this what I'll have to
do? Any help would be appreciated.

--
*************************************
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: general question?
Date: 23 Jun 2000 20:03:33 -0700

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:37:51 -0400, Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hey I'm thinking of installing CorelLinux on my system. I currently know
>[nothing] about linux and I'm wondering if it has a GUI like windows. I know
>that the installation program has a gui, but does the actual OS have it too,
>like windows. Is it easy to use or very difficult? I heard that some people
>actually get the GUI seperately from the kernel--is this what I'll have to
>do? Any help would be appreciated.

I would advise you to read up.  www.linux.org links to a great deal of Linux
information.

Yes, Linux like most modern unixes can be used with a GUI (called X-Windows).

Yes, the GUI is separate from the kernel.  What kind of flaky O.S. would
integrate something like the GUI with the kernel?  Sounds like a poor idea
to me :-).

---
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson

------------------------------

From: Bob Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: POSIX, what the heck...???
Date: 24 Jun 2000 02:49:04 GMT

Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> POSIX means Portable Operating System Interface for UNIX.

> There is a short description on http://www.whatis.com/posix.htm.

...and it was none other than Richard Stallman who came up with
the acronym.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: mind hours in development Linux vs. Windows
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 01:19:23 GMT

Joachim Feise writes:
> The commercial use of PGP requires a license,...

That's what I said: PGP is not free software.

> The current versions of PGP are not under GPL, though.

But gpg is (not that the GPL is the only free license).
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mary P)
Date: 24 Jun 2000 02:38:20 GMT

On 24 Jun 2000 11:18:47 +1200, Bryan Hoyt
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> gave us this:
>...I want to figure out how to use tin

>... can someone please just tell me ai
 quick way to download... the
>last 50 messages from a newsgroup

>If you can tell me how to do the same
 thing with another console-based
>newsreader, say emacs or trn,
 I would be just as happy.

Try the newsreader slrn, which you most
likely have if you have tin.

In slrn, once you select your newsgroup,
you are prompted to tell it how many msgs
to download. It doesn't get the whole
1500 or whatever by default.

And yes, in response to the other part
of your question, it may take a while
for the headers to download. This,
within reason, is normal and varies
with the efficiency of your news server.

Configuring slrn is not hard, man slrn
contains a URL you can use for guidance.

MP

--
    _
   . .

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dowe Keller)
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Date: 23 Jun 2000 20:06:05 -0700

On 23 Jun 2000 17:25:50 -0800, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Y'all have heard the rumor (which I've never seen denied) that
>has been going around for at least 10-12 years now, that Bill
>Joy switched to Emacs?
>
>Maybe that says something... ;-)

Yea, It's saying his box has more RAM than mine ;-))

---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mary P)
Date: 24 Jun 2000 02:48:26 GMT

Bryan, one more thing. It occurs to me you
may be confused by the initial downloading
of the complete list of newsgroups that takes
place when you first set up a newsreader.

The first time you run a newsreader it has to
get a list of ALL the groups from your
news server, and that can take many minutes
(like 10, even) if you have a slow connection
and a server that gets lots of groups.

This only happens once. Then you
tell it which of these groups you actually
want to read (you can use wildcards if you
want, say, all the *.linux.* groups). After
that, it'll just display a list of your own
groups, you select whichever you want to catch
up on that day, and everything is much faster.

I know this is really basic, but I'm not sure
what you have done before and what not.
MP

--
    _
   . .

------------------------------

From: John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: info/texinfo to man pages
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 19:56:02 GMT

I really am looking for a converter, and I am dealing with both
info and texinfo pages. The product you suggest just a reader,
and one dependent on the gui. It handles man pages (irrelevant, I
can read those already) and texinfo files. Unfortunately a lot of
information is in info, not texinfo format. So I am still looking
for a converter. I may have to write one in self-defense.

Thanks for replying.

John C.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: ne.internet.services
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 02:07:37 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Robie Basak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Isn't it nice how there's one standard interface for installing a
> package, through which you can easily check which files were installed
> where, read any additional install scripts and quickly verify that all
> installed files are still present and undamaged?

We don't want no steenkin "standard interface".
Linux is all about choice. You can CHOOSE the one that suits YOU.
(Try that in M$ world)

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:08:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) writes:

>> I might be WAY off on this, because it seems so simple to me as opposed to
>> all of the other posts in this thread... but wouldn't this work?
>>
>> $ mv * *.html
>
> In DOS, but not in Unix shells  Try it.  You'll end up with only one
> file, or mv will complain that the last name is not a directory.  Why
> (and understanding why is important)?  Because the shell expands the
> wildcards, not the mv command.  If you have files named "1", "2" and
> "3", mv will see:
>
> mv 1 2 3
>
> There are no ".html" files, so that expands to nothing.  The resulting
> command tells mv to move "1" and "2" both to "3".  Not what you wanted
> in this case but maybe just the ticket if "3" is a directory.
>
> This is a fundamental difference from DOS where each program handles
> wildcards its own way.

I would also add that in the DOS world, a filename has the so called
8.3 format. This filename.ext is coded right into the filesystem.
The filename (the 8) and the extension (3) are treated as if they
were different entities. However, in the Unix world, there is no such
split. One can have multiple extensions and they are still just a string
and have nothing to do with the filesystem code. This is one place
(and I think the only one) where DOS was easier. In Unix, one needs
a workaround since the extension is part of the filename. (the 8 part
of the filename.)

Vilmos