From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mind?)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 28 Jun 2000 18:09:59 -0400

In comp.os.linux.misc Paul Eisenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey!  I finally got my a modem to work and connect with my Internet
> Server after using the following line

> setserial /dev/ttyS2 auto_irq autoconfig

> It then seems to dial fine after putting a # sign in front of auth on
> the /etc/ppp/options(i think correct path).  Now after I connect and
> it logs in I am unable to use Netscape, telnet, or anything else.

If you have a shell account (dial up, terminal emulation) have you tried
minicom or seyon? Just checking that all is working with the modem.

If that is working, it sounds like a DNS configuration problem. Most
distributions have a configuration programme to help in setting those (in
TurboLinux is it turbonetcfg, for example). You'll, of course, have to
know the IP addresses for your ISP's DNS servers.

------------------------------

From: Rafael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Hangs (freeze) HELP.
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:18:48 +0200

Hej!
And thanks for your mail. I was happy to get your help. But
anyway, there is probably some error on Epox motherboard. I was  thinking to
change to FIC motherboard. But FIC do not support  UATA 66, therefore I wanted
to get my computer working as it is. And today I find solution I bought a new
power supply. Thanks to your suggestion . In the morning I borowed one ATX
power suplie and it worked for 5 hours so  I decided to buy one.
Because on Epox motherboard there is connection for ATX power supply I bought
ATX 300 Watts power supply and My LINUX is not hanging at least is working for
7hours so far. Maybe Epox have problem with motherboards related to AT power
supply.  GREAT. This power Supply take mare power (85 Watts) , so it is almost
25 Watts more than the old one. So maybe it was the problem. It could not wake
up after halt instruction.
Thanks to Everybody who gave me all advice, I learn a lot during solving this
problem, now I become an expert in power supplies :-)

Thank one time again
If would like share some knowlidge with me please do not hasitate and write
more
to me. I am very happy when I could share my knowlidge.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H Dziardziel)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s*
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:32:17 GMT

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:17:21 -0400, Fro-Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Hendrix wrote:
>
>> 1. vi      ---  Is it spelled out or spoken "Veye"...
>
>Looks good.  Or if you use vim, you just call it vim.
>
>> 2. GNU     ---  Is it spelled out, or pronounced "New"...

Richard Stallman (in person) said to pronounce it "Guh new"

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OpenBSD/FreeBSD/NetBSD/Linux
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:33:56 GMT

Blah.  That's security through obscurity.

I say again, blah. =p~

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: EEEK! What's with all these mangled old postings?
Date: 28 Jun 2000 23:00:15 GMT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:15:29 +0100,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] did eloquently scribble:
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> WTF is going on?
> Newsservers aren't supposed to tamper with content, and yet...

Someone is snarfing articles, fondling them, issuing new message id's
and reposting them.

Yes, he's not supposed to do that.  Complain to supernews, where he's
reposting them.

This seems to work for slrn's scorefile:

[*]
Score: -9999

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: Nicholas Murison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ASF on Linux?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:58:47 +0200

> From: Nicholas Murison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> There _was_ an media player with ASF support for Linux, but the
>  author
> had to cut out that part of the code after M$ flexed some legal
>  muscle.
> I believe there are tools out there for Windows that can convert ASFs
> MEPGs, but I can't any specific ones.
> --
> Nicholas John Murison
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Don't mess with penguins
> Registered Linux User #153895   http://counter.li.org

What the fuck is this?  Who the hell is chewtoy.com and why are they
quoting us?
--
Nicholas John Murison
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Display of pages in Netscape 4.72 w/ RH6.2
Date: 28 Jun 2000 23:06:58 GMT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:48:54 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This brings up the whole FONT issue with linux and the X server.  X does
> not support TrueType fonts natively (not the one that comes with redhat
> 6.2).  Redhat 6.2 comes with a truetype font server, called xfs, which
> renders the truetype fonts for X programs.
>
> X is picking huge fonts to give to the dropdown list boxes and it ends
> up making the whole thing look stupid.

Not exactly.  Netscape is.

> You can also tinker with the new Netscape 6.  Go to www.netscape.com and
> pick downloads from their "other downloads directory", and grab
> netscape6.  My first impressions are that it will render the fonts more
> friendly-like.

Or this in your .Xresources or however you handle your app-defaults:

Netscape*documentFonts.sizeIncrement:   05

By default, Netscape has a HUGE increment/decrement with every <font
size="+1"> type tag.  So if you set your stuff to be readable on
some web pages, when you go to other pages it will have HUGE fonts.
Or if you set it to be readable on those other pages, it will be
microscopic on the others.

The above tones down the +/- 20% size adjustment made with each 'click'
of font size to something much saner.

Look at your 'Netscape.ad' file for more fun settings you can fiddle
with in Netscape.

From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: gcc --version
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:12:42 +1000

Could someone please exand on this? I assume there are differences for an
end-user type?
Thanks.

Dan

--
"Hello"

news:8jcdbo$lab$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Mystery Reboot - Have I been cracked?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:14:38 -0700

Could be any number of things including something as simple as an electrical
transient.

I have been running the BP6 w 466 Celerons o/c'ed to 525 (75MHz FSB) without
a single problem 24x7 for over 6 months (2.2.14+andre's ide patch).  366's
at 550 means you are able to use 100MHz FSB.  I assume you are using quality
PC-100 SDRAM given it's been stable up till now.

It would help to post a chunk of /var/log/messages that includes log entries
just prior to the reboot + the reboot sequence.  It is impossible to get a
clue just from your system config.  Heat related o/c problems almost always
show up as mysterious system hangs rather than clean reboots.

Also, disregard messages that automatically assume o/c is the problem.  Most
if not all the responders have zero experience with o/c else they wouldn't
post such simplistic trash replies.

rgds,
tim.

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (root)
Subject: BIND8 - Zone file changes behind my back
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:11:56 GMT

I'm looking for what may turn out to be a workaround to a unique problem with
NAMED; any assistance appreciated, detailed below:

I'm set up here as secondary nameserver for the domains towardex.com and
hcctrc.com.  Primary nameserver is used as forwarder, and I am using forward
and reverse zone files for both domains.

The zone files I have and those of towardex itself are slightly different,
however; his zones resolve www.towardex.com to an internal IP (which you can
verify by checking his nameserver, 63.248.56.131) in order to speed DNS lookup.

This was chosen since the towardex.com domain is managed by flashcom and not
TowardEX itself; these zone files are for the benefit of their respective
intranets.

My zone file points to the correct public IP, for the benefit of my internal
machines.  The problem that is arising is named will refer to its forwarder
(the other nameserver) and UPDATE its own zone file accordingly (bad gravy).

This has the effect of making the towardex domain unreachable to all computers
using me as their nameserver.

Is there a means of preventing named from changing the contents of a zone file?
Any experience you can relate would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Brad

------------------------------

From: bigbinc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CrossCompiler, Older Compiler
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:10:26 GMT

Allright gurus, I need some help.

I have recently been trying to get into building my own operating
system, as a hobby.  The only problem I am having is getting my small
kernel(helloworld kernel) to compile.  Most of my information is off a
website and they basically said to get the gnu binutils2.7 and gcc-
2.7.2.3.  Currently my RedHat6.1 has a pretty new version of the
binutils and gcc(in the 2.9 range).  Anyway I got these two gnu tools
and I tried to make them but I get errors not too far into the make.
And I am completely stuck.  I am trying to create a cross-compiler.
Here is what I do to use them.
tar -xvzf bin*2.7.tar.gz
./configure --target=i386-unknown-gnu --prefix=/usr/local/xdev
make
make install

And when I get to make, several files compile, but in the middle of the
make I get an error macro error: 'strdup' does not contain args in line
41 or 'arsup.c'
exiting...exiting make with error

I basically get the same error when I try to make gcc-2.7.2.3

I tried using make install even though I got errors but the make
install gets errors also...

And only a couple of files are left in my /usr/local/xdev(like 3 files)

All I want to do is make this simple kernel which has a global main
declaration.
==================================
extern "C" void _start();
void main();
#include "localheadernotimportant.h"

/* start kernel loaded by boot disk */
void _start(int m, char *p, struct boot_dir *files)
{
 /* some assembly */
 main();
}

void main()
{
 /* Do stuff */
}
with
g++ -O -I. -c -o main.cc
and ld -o main.o -dN -Ttext 0x101080

And the error I get with my new,current gnu C/C++ tools are global
declaration of main...So I thought I would get the older gcc and
binutils.

So I hope you get an idea of my problem, It is driving me nutz.

Berlin Brown

"...yes darling, computers are people too..."
http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/lights/5679

From: "Xiuguang He" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! X problem on toshiba tecra 8100 notebook
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:24:27 GMT

porsche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8i1fas$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> the video chipset is S3 Savage/MX ....
> thank anyway!!
>
> porsche
> "Martin Herrman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó
> news:8hq8bo$nm7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:46:35 +0800, porsche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > >     My system is RedHat 6.2 on Toshiba Tecra 8100 notebook.
> > >     Does anyone have successfully installed X on this machine??
> > >     the configuration seem don't work with this machine.
> > >     thanks if someone can tell me how to configure it properly.
> >
> > I do have a toshiba 320 CDT.. with a Chips & Technologies 65555 video
> card,
> > if your laptop has almost the same, just e-mail me and I will get the
> > options you have to add to your config file for you..
> >
> > Martin
> > >
> > > porsche
> > >

> > --
> > Linux Gebruikers Handleiding v1.2 : http://2mypage.cjb.net
> > Linux RedHat 6.1 Kernel 2.2.14  Toshiba P233 MHz, 32 Mb RAM
> > 10:00am up 6 days, 20:06, 4 users, load average: 0.07, 0.08, 0.08
> > Western Civilization, that would be a good idea!

Hi,

I just got X work up to 1024x768 on Toshiba Tecra 8100 with RedHat 6.2
installed.
Go to download the latest X server from
http://www.probo.com/timr/savagemx.html
The XF86_SVGA version I used dated (June 19, 2000).
Then use xf86config to config X.
Using ctr+Alt+Numerical- or numerical+ to adjust the resolution.

When I follow
http://wtsupport.metatec.net/technotes/redhat6.2-tecra8100.txt
it only give me an 320x200 screen.

Charles

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: pppd unexpectedly quits!!!
Date: 28 Jun 2000 23:08:56 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[ From: Mink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[ "The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I couldn't
[ find any secret (password) which would let it use an ip address."

in kppp you may have to specify  'Use PAP' or 'Use CHAP' (find out from
your ISP)
instead of script logins. Give it a try

--
jazz  annandy AT dc DOT seflin DOT org
Registered linux user no. 164098

------------------------------

From: Chris Orth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: 28 Jun 2000 23:47:33 GMT

gnu historically has taken a long time to get bugfixes out.  egcs was
developed by cygnus in parallel, with the intent of having changes merged
back into gcc.  Recently Redhat acquired egcs, and some other political
changes led to the gnu-gcc and egcs projects being recombined.  For the most
part both were always very similar, except at first egcs was more
progressive.  I think the biggest difference at first was that egcs excluded
the gnu class library from g++ and started included STL.

That's my take.  It is undoubtedly over simplified, maybe even a little
wrong.  Most people aren't going to notice a difference.

Chris

In alt.os.linux Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Could someone please exand on this? I assume there are differences for an
: end-user type?
: Thanks.

: Dan

: --
: "Hello"

: Marc Mezzarobba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:8jcdbo$lab$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> > Hi,
:> >
:> > How come gcc that comes with RH6.2 is "egcs-2.91.66", while an older
:> > distro, Mandrake7.0 comes with "gcc-2.95" ?
:> > (I remember that when I was using Mandrake7.0, RH6.2 wasn't out yet)
:>
:> afaik: While gcc ic controlled by gnu peaople, egcs is a version that
:> use the "bazar" developpement model.
:>
:> Regards,
:>
:> --

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ISA nic cards?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 23:53:30 GMT

  "Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 28 Jun 2000 02:47:21 -0400, wrote :

"> One more question: Would linux have any problems recognizing an ISA NIC?

Linux supports many ISA NIC cards.  There are cards that are
troublesome.  Lots of the 'NE2000' clones are not really proper clones
and don't work or get recognized.

Note:  ISA cards *in general* are not auto-detected like PCI cards.  ISA
NIC cards that are PnP should have the PnP disabled.

Linux *loves* 3C509's.  For combo types (which have more than one
connector), you need to manually set the connector you will be using,
although the newer 3C509 drivers can be passed parameters forcing a
specific connector.  These cards can be had cheap (< $10 each) and work
*forever* and work well.

">
"> --
"> *************************************
"> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"> http://pages.prodigy.net/mrkeith
"> AIM: mrthekeith
"> ICQ: 66068365
">
">
">

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Daniel Samson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Loadlin and SCSI
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:50:07 -0400

Villy Kruse a écrit :

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:23:43 -0400,
>             Daniel Samson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >I have a 8Go WD IDE drive with Windows on the first 2 Go and RH 6.2 on 6
> >last Go. I boot RH 6.2 with Loadlin. The BootDisk made by the install
> >program see the SCSI card (AHA-2930CU) and the CD-Writer (Yamaha 6416s).
> >But I can't make those see when I boot with Loadlin. Here's my
> >config.sys
> >
> >[Linux]
> >shell=c:\Loadlin\loadlin.exe c:\Loadlin\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro
> >mem=192M
> >
> >I tried various things with ramdisk and initrd, but there's obviously
> >something I don't understand. What are the parameters I need to make the
> >SCSI card and CD-Writer work with Loalin?
> >Many thanks
> >

> You will need to use the initrd image file from your boot floppy.
> No matter which loader you are using you need to load the kernel
> image AND the initrd image.  The initrd image contains the SCSI
> driver module and the programs to load it into memory.
>
> Villy

Hello Villy,

I copied the file initrd.img in the Loadlin folder of Windows, and I add
this to my config.sys file:

[Linux]
shell=c:\Loadlin\loadlin.exe c:\Loadlin\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro
mem=192M intitrd=c:\Loadlin\initrd.img

This, don't work. Linux boot but don't see the SCSI card neither the
CD-R.

I guessed something else after reading someting about a ramdisk and SCSI
card:

[Linux]
shell=c:\Loadlin\loadlin.exe c:\Loadlin\vmlinuz root=/dev/ram ro
mem=192M intitrd=c:\Loadlin\initrd.img

All I got with this is a Kernel panic.

How could I pass the initrd.img to Loadlin, and is this initrd.img the
good thing to pass to Loadlin?

Many thanks

--
Daniel Samson