  various LILO vga settings/tux images (JC Vollmer)

From: Jim Gadbaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Cable modem, ethernet, and DHCP
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 15:15:21 GMT

Jeremy Smith wrote:

> Amen to that. I am in the same boat
> "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Arg, linux newbie here with some problems setting up my cable modem with
> > dhcp.  I have Mandrake 7.1.  I type in "netconf" which takes me to the
> > network configurator.  In "Basic Host Info" there is a "hostname +
> > domain" entry which is set to "localhost.localdomain".
> > Under the "adapter1" tab is the following info:
> > net device: eth0
> > kernel module: 3c509
> > irq: 10
> > ip: my ip
> > the dhcp radio button is selected
> >
> > When I close out of netconf and tell is to activate changes I get an
> > error.  Here it is:
> >
> > Executing /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10network reload:
> >     > Bringing up device eth0 Determining IP information for eth0 via
> > dhcp...faile
> >     > [FAILED]
> >
> > And that's that.  No internet connection.  I've already read a couple of
> > how-to's (especially cable modem, dhcp mini-howto, and the ethernet
> > howto) and they didn't help.
> >
> > I have a 3com Etherlink III (3c509B)
> >
> > Any help is appreciated!  Getting frustrated and wanting to switch back
> > to Winblowz.
> >
> > James L

Jeremy - Maybe it was more luck than knowledge, but this worked for me. Do as
you did under netconfig - set your eth0 to DHCP and select boot at start up.
Then go to /etc and add to your profile file DHCP_HOSTNAME=cxxxxxxxx - the id
number your cable set up gives you. Add to export  just DHCP_HOSTNAME to
export it out. Then go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and find ifcfg-eth0
file and add the line DHCP_HOSTNAME=cxxxxxxx - your id number again. Reboot
and that was all I did to have the DHCP working for me  RH 7.0- on my laptop
with pcmcia ethernet card. Hang in there -- Jim

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: using telnet
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:37:42 +0400

"Michael Ware" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello, are there any tutorial on using telnet from a windows machine
> connecting to RH6.2 machine, I will need to set up virtual hosts and
> server maintenance for my lan.  For example whats the easiest way to
> open/read/write a file back to the server?

No offense, but if you do not know how ot use telnet (and that you should
not use telnet at all, but ssh instead), then you are in no position to
set up and maintain any kind of server.

You should learn the basics first - it seems to me that you are not too
familiar with the command-prompt.

Cheers,

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Win98 error 005: Mouse not found. Click left mouse button on ok to continue.

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FS: REDHAT LINUX
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 08:53:34 -0700

Nope.  It is do it yourself and put together for the net for free from the
Redhat mirror websites and Oracle website an equivalent of 6.2EE as long as
the Oracle8i is not used for commerical purposes.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: so what do I do with my spare modem bandwidth?
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems,comp.infosystems.www.misc
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:52:40 +0400

"Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> urm, thanks, but I would just like to comment from the point of view of
> us off line modem costly time types, we wish these types of references
> would have a tiny hint of what their content is given... as they get put
> into the giant heap of URLs to check later, with no clue as if I should
> put them on the first up to bat heap, or regular heap.
>
> "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó
> news:6ZGD5.14635$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Dudes, in a previous post (Re: so what do I do with my spare CPU
>> > cycles?)  We saw many suggestions for useful way to put my spare
>> > cycles to work. Apparently decoding for alien radio signals is the
>> > fad at the moment [SETI project].
>> >
>> > Now I would like to turn to spare modem connect time.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> http://www.mojonation.net
>> http://freenetproject.org
>>
>> Mirror rpmfind.net
>> Mirror gnu.org

Please put yuor replies *under* the quoted text, otherwise people get
confused as to what you refer to, and I can't reply in an orderly fashion.
For more detail on how to quote, see http://www.albion.com/netiquette/
(The Netiquette)

http://www.mojonation.net
 - What is Mojo Nation? Mojo Nation is a revolutionary new publishing and
 content-sharing network. It combines the flexibility of the marketplace
 and the distributed computing power of the Internet to go far beyond
 current filesharing systems. We're not just trading MP3s here. Mojo
 Nation is building an efficient, massively scalable and secure
 marketplace for distributors and consumers of digital content.

http://freenetproject.org
 - The "Freenet" project aims to create an information publication system
 similar to the World Wide Web (but with several major advantages over it)
 based on the protocol described in Ian Clarke's paper A Distributed
 Decentralised Information Storage and Retrieval System. Information can
be inserted into the system associated with a "key" (normally some form
of description of the information such as "/text/philosophy/sun tzu/the
art of war"). Later anyone else can retrieve the information using the
 appropriate key. In this respect it is a little like the World Wide Web
which requires a URL to retrieve a particular document.
Unlike the Web, information on Freenet is not stored at fixed locations
or subject to any kind of centralized control. Freenet is a single world-
wide information store that stores, caches, and distributes the
information based on demand. This allows Freenet to be more efficient
at some functions than the Web, and also allows information to be
published and read without fear of censorship because individual
documents cannot be traced to their source or even to where they are
physically stored. To participate in this system users will simply need
to run a piece of server software on their computer, and optionally use
a client program to insert and remove information from the system. Anyone
can write a client (or indeed a server) program for Freenet, which is
based on an open protocol. Reference implementations of these
programs are being written in the Java programming language.

Fup2 colm

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Optimization hinders evolution.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: SPD problem at booting
Date: 8 Oct 2000 16:05:52 GMT

On Sun, 08 Oct 2000 07:08:02 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I have both redhat 6.1 and windows 98 operating sys . on my PC.  For
>the few days while booting I get a Warning message:"SPD not found at
>DIMM(s) 2". I want to know what this is all about ? How to solve the
>problem?

SPD stands for Serial Presence Detect, and is a way for the BIOS to
determine how much RAM you have installed in your system automatically.
Did you take a DIMM out of its slot, or swap DIMMs?  You should make
sure that the DIMM in slot 2 is seated firmly in its socket, and if
you're concerned about the health of your memory, you should get the
"memtest86" program from http://freshmeat.net/ and use it.  Also check
your BIOS settings and make sure that it reports the correct amount of
RAM.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Making my own single floppy distribution: HOWTO??
Date: 8 Oct 2000 16:05:53 GMT

On Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:51:13 +0200, Martin Herrman wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 06:34:43 -0500, philo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> however what you want to do sounds like more than you could do one
>> one floppy...i would think it an interesting challenge.
>well, an image can contain 4 mb of data so i think it should be
>possible. The image file will be 'unzipped' and put into a ramdisk.
>> perhaps you could just use a fat12 floppy put the image one it plus
>> whatever else you could fit...then use loadlin.
>yep, that's my big problem: how about dependencies? Should I just
>compile the necesary programs on my desktop, copy all files to a
>directory together with needed libraries? (libraries can be found with
>'ldd <pathToExecutable>'?) And howto make an img file? Much questions,
>i want some answers :-)

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html
will get you started, at least for the basic questions of "How do I make
a bootdisk?" and "How do I create a RAMdisk image for use with a
bootdisk?"  Keep in mind that you won't necessarily have to put
*everything* on one floppy; it's certainly possible to have one floppy
that contains a kernel and a RAMdisk image, and another one that
contains application software like cdrecord.

The process is a bit time-consuming and involves a lot of
experimentation, at least in my experience.  If you have 2 CD-ROMs in
this machine, you may wish to think about the Linuxcare Bootable CD,
available at http://linuxcare.com/bootable_cd/ .  It offers a lot more
stuff and space than a single or dual floppy mini-distro can, but you do
have to leave the CD in the drive.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: CDRW support broken in 2.2.16/17?
Date: 8 Oct 2000 16:05:54 GMT

On Sun, 08 Oct 2000 00:57:34 -0400, Peter Eddy wrote:
>I upgraded from RedHat 6.1 to 6.2 a while ago and haven't tried burning
>CDs since, until today, I have no idea if the change in
>kernels/distributions is the problem.  I found that when I configure my
>machine for ide-scsi emulation I'm no longer able to play audo CDs (I
>have changed the /dev/cdrom symlink to /dev/sr0)
>
>The GNOME cd player starts up and reads the CD well enough to read the
>CDDB info, but when I try to play the CD it reads, "error playing
>disk".  Additionally, my machine has locked up twice now after burning a
>few CDRWs.  Any clues or pointers?

It's probably not the kernel, as I've been burning CDs since 2.2.12
without problems.  What's the make+model of your CD-RW?  There are some
drives that are flakier than others, so we should rule out hardware
problems before doing anything else.  Also check the cable connections
and jumpers.  You might want to check to see if the GNOME automounter
utility is running--this can screw a lot of things up; if it tries to
mount an audio CD, it could produce errors not unlike the one you see.
Not sure about the lockups when burning, but try using the latest
version of cdrecord and see if it helps.  HTH, good luck.

From: "Bill Piety" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: alsa problem
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:24:20 +0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello all, Could someone please help me i have been fighting with this
> for the last week..... I have a cmi8330 card, i can get it all
> installed, and hear the speakers come online, but when i pull up the
> mixer i don't have a master volume. I have tried unmute on what is
> there, but no sound. I don't know what to do. any help would be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you in advance.  KNE

Which mixer are you using - alsamixer?

------------------------------

From: fred smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: segmentation
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 11:58:44 GMT

R.Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Could  anyone advise me on how to get round a segmentation fault
: E_MAIL [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes: Fix the broken program.

--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

------------------------------

From: "hans eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: choos - os how to make .bin files
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 18:21:42 +0100

Hi!
Alway curious to try new things, I'm trying chos as my boot manager.
It is running fine, so no problems.
It is easy to configure has has some nice features.
It allows to show images to give a nice boot menu.

I don't know what these .bin files are, how to make my own once.

Unfortunately I haven't got the .conf file here, but I use a sample image
(pinguin.bin) and it is somehow refered to as a "dump" in the config.

How can I make my own files to show at the boot menu.
With linux !!!; the howto talkes about DOS programs.
Sorry I'm not very precise. Hope someone understands.

Thanxx hans eric

------------------------------

From: Peter Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 12:34:38 -0400

It's an early Acer 2x (burn speed) which I'd used extensively in the
past with no problem.  I just tried burning another CD and got the
following error:

[root@calypso iso]# cdrecord -dev=2,0,0 speed=2 zoot-i386.iso
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '2,0,0'
scsibus: 2 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.39
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'ATAPI   '
Identifikation : 'CD-R/RW CRW6206A'
Revision       : '1.2A'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 671881216/671881216 (328067
sectors).
cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd:
retryable error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: F0 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 08 14 19 02 F8 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x02 Qual 0xF8 (no seek complete) [No matching qualifier]
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)
cmd finished after 77.406s timeout 480s
cdrecord: Input/output error. mode select g1: scsi sendcmd: retryable
error
CDB:  55 10 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: F0 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 08 14 22 24 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (valid)
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s
[root@calypso iso]#

Regarding the GNOME automounter, that's not running.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Faheem Mitha)
Subject: Re: Creating RPM package for install
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 16:58:46 -0000

On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 19:10:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>We are trying to create an RPM package to install our software.
>As part of our installation, we need to install another vendor's rpm
>package.  Is this possible??

If you mean, the rpm needs to install some other rpm before installing
itself, I expect this can be put as part of the %pre step. See pg 185
of Maximum RPM.

It says

"The %pre script executes just before the package is to be
installed."

However, you should make sure that the other vendor's rpm packages you
are trying to install *will* work correctly on the systems you are
trying to install on. If the rpm package has been made correctly, it
should warn you if there are incompatibilities. Another option is to
get the source rpm (if available) and recompile it, and possibly
modify the spec file to work on your system. This is a good general
procedure, since recompiling on your system greatly increases the
chances that everything will work correctly (correct libraries will be
linked to etc.)

>Also, is there a good reference somewhere for creating rpm packages?

www.rpm.org. See particularly the freely downloadable book "Maximum
RPM by Bailey". Out of date but still useful. Site also includes
references to a users mailing list.

By the way, if you make any rpm packages, *please* make them
build-rooted, so other people can build/modify them as
non-root. Non-build-rooted rpms are a pet peeve of mine.

                                   Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.

------------------------------

From: JC Vollmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: various LILO vga settings/tux images
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 17:00:35 GMT

Hello everyone.
Can someone tell me what would be the valid settings for vga= in
/etc/lilo.conf.  What are the different tux images/resolutions available?

--
       JC VOLLMER  TEXT REFS DOUBLEPLUSUNGOOD    DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  SELFTHINK VERGING CRIMETHINK  DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER