Linux-Misc Digest #159, Volume #25               Mon, 17 Jul 00 15:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  screen command doesn't work ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PPP compression revisited (Bill Unruh)
  Re: mgetty and dial in (Bill Unruh)
  Re: mgetty and dial in (Bill Unruh)
  RedHat 6.2.1: lost console in multiuser mode ("Jim Davis")
  <Display is (Massive)> (N/A)
  <.Display is (Massive).> (N/A)
  <Display is Massive> (N/A)
  SSHD won't start. (Chumkil)
  Re: How to uninstall in Linux (mircea)
  Re: PROBLEM: KERNEL 2.2.14 (Thomas Adams)
  Re: Loading Windows (Chumkil)
  awk usuage ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: <.Display is (Massive).> (Chumkil)
  Re: undelete directory? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ddate command ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Incorrect time stamp on PID (Barry Grussling)
  Using renice with apache. please help me ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Which distro for newbie? (Chumkil)
  Re: SSHD won't start. (Dances With Crows)
  Re: <Display is (Massive)> (Bob Hauck)
  Re: SSHD won't start. (Bob Hauck)
  Re: gcc, can't determine hostname now (David Steuber)
  Video Capture Card for Linux? ("Brian Davis")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: screen command doesn't work
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:00:08 GMT

Hello,

I'm running Mandrake 7.1, and when I try to use
the screen command it doesn't work.  It detaches,
then when I look for it using screen -ls it shows
up but only for a brief moment.  It dies within 5
seconds or so.

When I do manage to connect to it (within the 5
seconds), I get the message "write" on the screen
before it quits.

What am I doing wrong?

I execute the command as such

screen -A -m -d -S vi vi blah.c

screen -ls
shows
There is a screen on
26489.vi (Detached)
1 Socket in /home/blah/tmp

screen -ls again
shows
No Sockets found in /home/blah/tmp

Any help would be appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP compression revisited
Date: 17 Jul 2000 17:13:24 GMT

In <Ievc5.17779$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Micromans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>If I put these lines into the /etc/conf.modules file what useful thing will
>it actually do? (besides get rid of the warnings messages).

If, by some unlikely chance, the other end actually does support one of
these compression schemes it will allow ppp to use them.

However as I said, if you are using a modem connection, then modems
these days do compression so the advantage of software compression is
minimal.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: mgetty and dial in
Date: 17 Jul 2000 17:16:54 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "John G. Sandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

]Bill Unruh wrote:
]>
]> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "John G. Sandell"
]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
]>
]> ]07/16 13:37:52 yS0  mdm_send: 'AT+FNR=1,1,1,0' -> OK
]> ]07/16 13:37:52 yS0  mdm_send: 'AT+FLI="49 115 xxxxxxxx"' -> OK
]> ]07/16 13:37:52 yS0  mdm_send: 'AT+FCC=1,5,0,2,0,0,0,0' -> OK
]> ]07/16 13:37:53 yS0  waiting...
]>
]> And thesee last lines show tht the modem has been switched into fax
]> mode. Why? You do not want it in fax mode in order to answer the phone.

]I know I don't want AA lit, and it's not. I know I don't want it to be
]in fax mode. What I'm trying to find out is where I configure mgetty to
]send it the right codes. I can't find any configuration file to change.
]I've looked at all of the files in /etc/mgetty+sendfax and all the docs
]I could find, including the greenie web page. It seems to me there's a

/etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config
The init-chat option.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 17 Jul 2000 17:17:52 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "John G. Sandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

Sorry to reply again:
And also the
data-only y
option in mgetty.config

------------------------------

From: "Jim Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.2.1: lost console in multiuser mode
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:11:37 -0500

Hi all -

I'm running RedHat 6.2.1.  After a one unremarkable reboot, I lost access to
the console.  It prints the login prompt on the screen, but the keyboard and
mouse are non-responsive.  I can login via the network.  I can also use the
console if I remotely take the system into single user mode.  So, that tells
me the hardware works, and that a getty is started for the console when it
goes to multiuser (because a login prompt is printed).  Any thoughts?  I'm
stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Davis

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: <Display is (Massive)>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:30:04 GMT

the reason i am asking this question again is because i think people fail
to understand the question and therefore give me an answere i am already
aware of. My Display for Corel Linux Delux is so big i cannot see the
entire desktop. i adjust my vertical, horizontal and my size to 800x600
which my windows was running under but my display is still too big. i can
really fix this problem within linux itself because i can only see a very
limited part of linux, therefore i cant run programs like 'find files or
folders, etc' what can i possibly do to fix this? thanx.

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:30:04 GMT

the reason i am asking this question again is because i think people fail
to understand the question and therefore give me an answere i am already
aware of. My Display for Corel Linux Delux is so big i cannot see the
entire desktop. i adjust my vertical, horizontal and my size to 800x600
which my windows was running under but my display is still too big. i can
really fix this problem within linux itself because i can only see a very
limited part of linux, therefore i cant run programs like 'find files or
folders, etc' what can i possibly do to fix this? Thanx a lot.

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:30:03 GMT

the reason i am asking this question again is because i think people fail
to understand the question and therefore give me an answere i am already
aware of. My Display for Corel Linux Delux is so big i cannot see the
entire desktop. i adjust my vertical, horizontal and my size to 800x600
which my windows was running under but my display is still too big. i can
really fix this problem within linux itself because i can only see a very
limited part of linux, therefore i cant run programs like 'find files or
folders, etc' what can i possibly do to fix this? thanks.

From: Chumkil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SSHD won't start.
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:37:49 -0700

When I try to execute ssh  /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd restart
the following appears in the log files:

Jul 17 10:17:42 chumkil sshd[6564]: fatal: Cannot bind any address.
Jul 17 10:17:42 chumkil sshd: sshd startup succeeded
Jul 17 10:18:17 chumkil sshd[6582]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0
failed: Address already in use.

The output to the screen is:
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd restart
Shutting down sshd:
Starting sshd:                                             [  OK  ]

Notice that it is *NOT* shutting down sshd, and a ps -aux shows that ssh
is not running.

I am using Openssh-2.1.1p3-1.i386.

Ssh works just fine on all my other servers, why not this one?

------------------------------

From: mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to uninstall in Linux
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:36:26 -0400

DeAnn Iwan wrote:
(..)
>    Slackware:  none that I know of (use rm)

Of course there is one. Pkgtool will do package management on Slackware,
including uninstalling. Or the command-line tool removepkg.

MST

------------------------------

From: Thomas Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: KERNEL 2.2.14
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:41:02 -0400

"ne..." wrote:

> 4) tar xzf /path/to/kernel/source/linux-<version>.tar.gz or
>    tar --use-compress-program bunzip -xf
>/path/to/kernel/source/linux-<version>.tar.bz2

I appreciate your cookbook instructions.  I am going to
unpack my tar file again and see what I get.
Your 'tar' command has fewer tags than that in the
kernel HOWTO, namely:

`tar zxpvf linux-x.y.z.tar.gz'

I probably used this HOWTO form (going from memory though).
Maybe the 'p' and 'f' tags limit what gets unpacked.
The manual pages mention -p and -f, but this may not be the
same as plain 'f' and 'p'.  Also, -p and -f would not seem to limit
what gets unpacked.

On the other hand, you may be telling me to download 'rpm'
files.  I just looked briefly today for such files at the kernel ftp
site without success.  I'll look harder later.

I am left wondering though, why kernel version 2.2.16 had what I
needed ('rpm' files? .. net/Config.in), but version 2.2.14 did not.
That's why I suspect I unpacked wrong.

Thanks

Tom Adams

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Loading Windows
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:29:39 GMT

Hi Everyone! I want to install Linux on my current Win98 system without
doing an fdisk, coz I have some importatnt documents on it.Can anyone
tell me how to accomplish this task.

TIA
Vishal

From: Chumkil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Loading Windows
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:48:31 -0700

Your best bet is to buy partiton magic and partiton that way first.
You can use the partitioning tools in things like Mandrake 7.1 (however, do
be careful, I managed to corrupt a fat 32 partition with Disk Drake, not
that I really cared about that though...)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: awk usuage
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:41:59 GMT

Can anyone help me out with an awk usage? I have a tab separated data
file.
=============================
Tom Jones 4424 5/12/66 543354
==============================
I have to write an nawk command that prints two tabs the string "Have a
nice day." followed by the first and lastname, if the line contains the
pattern "Jones".
Also if possible I have to print
The Name is:firstname lastname ID is idnumber

Thx a lot

From: Chumkil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: <.Display is (Massive).>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:55:01 -0700

You may have to edit your XF86Config file.
It SEEMS that your resolution is ok, but your virtual desktop settings are
out
of whack. I have no idea what tools you would use to alter this however as I
use Mandrake and not Corel.

My guess is that your VISUAL settings are 800X600 but your virtual desktop
setting is at 1024X728.

If Corel supports it (and I don't know if it does)
get to a command prompt (*without* X running, you can do this at boot by
typing
"linux 3" into LILO)
and run the command
XF86Setup
You can adjust your settings from there.

Hope this helps!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: undelete directory?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:11:05 +0100

Dave Salovesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> In <8kts9g$spt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] opined:

> (snip advert for Win98 software)

> Grrrr....

Talk about Clueless!
It's not as if Windross can even SEE an ext2 partition.
(without some VERY unreliable and untrustworthy extra software)
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ddate command
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:17:30 +0100

News Groups <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Hi, i am new to linux and am learning it at school and one of the other
> students there told me to type ddate. up comes this message with stuff like
> pungenday and boomtime etc.

> i am running linux (redhat) 5.1, sorry thats all the details i know. it is
> using x windows aswell.

Well, well... I never knew about that command...
Not being a Discordian, I doubt I'll have much use for it, but it's good for
a laugh...

> can someone tell me what this all means?

man ddate.

> thankyou for your time
> Lord Apophis

Pah! You're nothing without your Jaffa. Tea'lc could easily have you on a
one on one, easily.
:)

From: Barry Grussling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Incorrect time stamp on PID
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:05:55 -0700

Anyone had anyproblems with the time stamp on
processes being way wrong.

a ps -aux on my machine says that processes
such as my logon shell (which I just started)
were started May 30.

My clock and my system time are correct.

Thanks.

Barry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Using renice with apache. please help me
Date: 17 Jul 2000 17:32:19 GMT

Hi,

I need a little help, i already read faqs, howto and documentation
but i looks like i not very good understanding some concepts of
linux (im new in this os).

I have Suse installed and apache running as the web server, and
all the processes of apache are owned by wwwrun. I have several scripts,
some of they stay slepping for some minutes then die, and others scripts
run in 5 seconds and then die.

My problem,

I notice that those scripts that die after 5 seconds of execution
(its a search engine) use all the CPU of the machine, thats not a
problem, but my site has a LOT of hits and i see that the cpu is
almost always at 95% and over, then i think that maybe if there
are a lot of process running it could afect that almost all time there
is very few cpu available (all run shared).

Then i discovered "renice", and of course is very useful, but i dont
really understand some technical stuff of how it works;

I reniced all processes of wwwrun to 5, but i have 2 question
about that :

I have to put a crontab making that renice 5 -u wwwrun
every some minutes? i saw that sometimes when a new wwwrun
process start, some arent reniced, and some are,
i dont undestand what cpu managment policy use renice.
Then, i have to put a crontab to do that?

And, more technical, what really renice do ? I understand
that it change the scheduling priority, but linux uses always
every % of available cpu even when the process is reniced? but
now is nice cpu? i havent been able to find a more technical
description of how renice work, or maybe how linux work
with renice. I dont get it, if i renice a process it would run as
faster than before, but it will have less priority and run slower
if another process start with a better priority? what i start a
proccess with equal priority?

Please if you can help me to understand all this. I always
see how the tipical answer here is "read the doc" but i really try
to do that and i havent been able to find a technical answer to
all this (there are a LOT of different docs). If you can reply me
to my email [EMAIL PROTECTED] i will be very happy because i dont
have access to this newsgroup from my isp and im using a
webpage shell, i will be checking here anyway :)

Best regards,

Javier Vargas García
vrweb.cl
Chile.

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: Chumkil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which distro for newbie?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 11:41:37 -0700

You are going to get a lot of answers to this...
but it you want my OPINION as to which you should use
get Mandrake 7.1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: SSHD won't start.
Date: 17 Jul 2000 18:52:14 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:37:49 -0700, Chumkil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>When I try to execute ssh  /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd restart
>the following appears in the log files:
>Jul 17 10:18:17 chumkil sshd[6582]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0
>failed: Address already in use.
>Notice that it is *NOT* shutting down sshd, and a ps -aux shows that ssh
>is not running.

So what does netstat -a show hanging out on port 22?  And does
/etc/services contain the lines
ssh              22/tcp                 # SSH Remote Login Protocol
ssh              22/udp                 # SSH Remote Login Protocol
?  And does the server have a valid IP address?  (just checking, I'm
wondering why it's using 0.0.0.0 here.)  You may wish to do a "killall
-TERM sshd" to get rid of any sshd processes that may be running.  Check
OpenSSH's sshd config file as well.

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Love is a snowmobile racing across the Arctic tundra that suddenly flips

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:52:34 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:30:04 GMT, N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>the reason i am asking this question again is because i think people fail
>to understand the question and therefore give me an answere i am already
>aware of. My Display for Corel Linux Delux is so big i cannot see the
>entire desktop.

There are two cases, and it is hard to tell which you have from what
you posted:

Case #1:  You can't see the entire desktop but if you push your mouse
pointer against the side of the screen it all moves so you can see a
new piece.

Case #2:  You can't see the entire desktop and it does not scroll when
you put your mouse against the side.

If #1, then you have selected a virtual resolution that is bigger than
your physical resolution.  The fix (if you want it fixed..this can be a
handy feature)) is to edit /etc/XF86Config and change the "virtual"
line for your display mode to match the actual resolution you are
running at.  This can be done in a text console (use ctl-alt-f1 to
switch to a text console from X), after which you will want to restart
X for the change to take effect.  The line you are looking for will say
something like "virtual 1024x768".  There may be more than one, each in
a separate "display" stanza.  If so, change them all to match the
resolution for that stanza.

If #2, then you have set up a horizontal/vertical sweep rate that is
not correct for your monitor, or you have chosen a mode that will not
work with your card and the X server has fallen back to something like
640x480 where the windows are too big to fit on the screen.

In that case, you will  need to edit the "modeline" section of
XF86Config and put in the correct numbers.  Since this is a bit tricky,
I would suggest you use xvidtune or your distro's configuration utility
instead.  That will allow you to interactively diddle things while
observing the results.

I would hope that Corel had some information on this in their manual,
but I haven't tried Corel so I don't know for sure.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:54:53 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:37:49 -0700, Chumkil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Jul 17 10:17:42 chumkil sshd[6564]: fatal: Cannot bind any address.
>Jul 17 10:17:42 chumkil sshd: sshd startup succeeded
>Jul 17 10:18:17 chumkil sshd[6582]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0
>failed: Address already in use.

Something is already using port 22.  Maybe another sshd?  Maybe some
custom program?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: gcc, can't determine hostname now
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:00:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland) writes:

' After installing gcc-2.95.2 from the gnu source tarball (using ./configure;
' make; make install) the compiler appears to be working ok but now configure
' scripts are unable to automatically determine the hosttype anymore
' (i586-pc-linux-gnu).
'
' I've used the default settings throughout, ie prefix=/usr/local etc.
'
' Any ideas what I'm missing so it can find its own hostype again? This is on
' SuSE 6.4 (gcc/g77/libg++ rpms removed).

I installed GCC the same way on two different SuSE 6.2 machines, but I
never removed the old compiler.  Configure scripts work fine on my
system.  I even updated the glibc on one of my machines without
breaking things.

You will have to look through a configure script to see what it is
doing to guess the host type.  I believe it uses uname and also looks
for your libc libraries to see what you've got.  I haven't looked at a
configure script.  They scare me.  If you do ./configure --help, you
should get a bunch of options.  One of them should allow you to
override the system type:

Host type:
  --build=BUILD           configure for building on BUILD [BUILD=HOST]
  --host=HOST             configure for HOST [guessed]
  --target=TARGET         configure for TARGET [TARGET=HOST]

It is actually config.guess that trys to determin your system type.
That will be invoked somewhere in the ./configure script.

You should be able to work around the problem with this invocation:

./configure --host=i586-pc-linux-gnu

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

From: "Brian Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Video Capture Card for Linux?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:04:56 -0400

Hi,
Has anyone found a Video Capture Card (e.g. Intel Smart Video Recorder III)
that has Linux drivers?

Thanks,
Brian