From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Subject: Re: Ghost Linux
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:19:30 -0000

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LinkSys betrayed us!  Poor prospects for Linux.
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:26:11 GMT

Bjorn Granfeldt writes:
> It is impossible (almost) to buy a new computer without a Windows
> license, unless you go for a non branded one,....

For values of "non-branded" approximating "Not heavily advertised in mass
media"...
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: jhecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP SCSI scanner experiences?
Date: 27 Oct 2000 13:21:31 -0400

I am looking to add a scanner to my system.  Is there an HCL around for
SCSI-based scanners?  I am thinking about an HP.

TIA -

Regards,
jh

------------------------------

From: Beggar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: setting pickdns
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 01:15:47 +0800

Hi all,

Is there anyone set pickdns before, which is use to response a
DNS query base on the source address for load balancing.

I want to know is the I can only run the pickdns and no need
other "dnscache" or "dnstiny" ? I have follow the djdns's page
to set but cannot make it work.
Anyone can give me a help hand?

Please reply to  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks!!
Dicky

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Segmenation fault: solution?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:39:37 +0100

What is a segmentation fault, and what can I do about it?

My LyX won't start after I upgraded to 1.1.15fix2. All I get is a
message about "Segmentation fault". I had a similar problem with an
earler version of LyX, and I solved it by switching window managers.
I got a segmentation fault under Enlightenment and WindowMaker, but
not under IceWM, which has since grown to be my favourite wm.
Since I don't like being forced to switch window managers when I
upgrade applications, I'd like to figure out how sort out this problem
in a better way.
I run SuSE 7.0 on a P133 laptop with 32MB RAM.

Thanks for all help,

frank

------------------------------

From: "Clifton T. Sharp Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:49:16 -0500

Arctic Storm wrote:
> LinkSys should have given us a working binary files with detailed
> step-by-step installation instructions.  LinkSys wants us to *download* the
> necessary files/drivers, but without the drivers, I can't get on the
> internet to download them.  The old catch 22; without experience, can't get
> a job, but without a job, can't get experience.

Yet somehow you got on the Internet to bitch.

> I went to the tulip web site http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html , but
> the instructions there were so poor and ambiguous that an average user could
> never follow.

It appears a lot of average users have already followed them quite nicely.

> The web site leaves you wondering if there are multiple ways
> of installing the driver, or one way, but different steps.

Only if you decline to read it and instead just scan for the download link.

> Do I do either "Using the Source RPM Package" or "Installing the Individual
> Drivers", or do I do both?  What does it mean to install "individual"
> drivers?  I have *one* card, which needs *one* driver!  What do you mean by
> individual?!

I bet your kid sister could tell you if you had her read the site.

> There's also the section, "Building updated drivers into the kernel".  Do I
> do this in addition to the above instrucitons, or is this something
> separate?!

I bet your kid sister could tell you if you had her read the site.

> I went to the web site http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html , but this
> web site also has poor instructions, and refers you to somewhere else to
> learn how to install modules.

The instructions are all there, but you have to read them to know that.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|   Cliff Sharp   |  Hate spam? Take the Boulder Pledge!                      |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Disappearing CDROM
Date: 27 Oct 2000 18:53:35 GMT

On 27 Oct 2000 15:50:35 GMT, Alexander Ehrnrooth wrote:
>Hi
>I have Mandrake 7.1. Sometimes during boot I get a screen
>telling me there is some hardware missing ie. my CDROM. This has
>happened some times already. I can fix it by doing an upgrade (7.1
>over 7.1) and this has helped so far. But I'd really like to fix it
>some other way. Any ideas? TIA
>Alex

I'd be tempted to have a look in the BIOS and see if anything needs
changing there, also check /etc/fstab and make sure that all's well
there too.

Have a good look at the fstab man page and related pages, you might
have missed an option out on the cdrom line of the fstab or
something like that.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone report
this problem before.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  5:36pm  up 16 days, 18:56,  3 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.04, 1.01

------------------------------

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /opt?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:50:58 -0400

Johan Kullstam wrote:
> i thought that originally, /usr/bin was the stuff that got added by
> people at berkeley.

Orginally, Unix was a "two disk" system, since disks were small and
Unix had so much stuff it wouldn't fit onto one disk.  (The original
$400 distribution came on two large tapes, one for each disk.)
When working on the system with the additional partitions unmounted,
or during the boot process, some commands were required and some
were not.  The ones that were required, plus some others (because
there was some space left over) were put into /bin.  The rest were
put into /usr/bin.  Originally, /usr contained user's home
directories.

/var was not an original Unix standard directory.  /usr/spool was
used for variable data.  (On older versions of Unixes like AIX,
/var is a symbolic link to /usr/spool.)

/usr/bin was also where BSD derrived binaries was placed in System V,
and I think SunOS and Solaris, but AIX puts them in /usr/ucb.  I
don't know (actually I can't remember) about other Unixes.

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP SCSI scanner experiences?
Date: 27 Oct 2000 18:02:40 GMT

jhecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am looking to add a scanner to my system.  Is there an HCL around for
> SCSI-based scanners?  I am thinking about an HP.

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

I just set up a HP6300C hanging off of an AIC2940 on a RH6.2 box -- works
like a charm.  Nice scanner, too.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: NAVARRO LOPEZ, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs?= Manuel
Subject: Re: Microsoft Linux?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:13:32 +0200

Leonard Evens wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:00:06 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > >BTW: I can read all microsoft formats just fine w/ any microsoft software.
> >
> > aurgh:  sub:w/:w/out
>
> You haven't had much occasion to try then.  I've had trouble
> reading Microsoft Word documents with Microsoft Word.  They regularly
> change the format.  So you can't count on MS Word 97 reading
> MS Word 2000.  Few other vendors could get away with that.

This is usual and acceptable.  The problem is that, under certain
circumstances you won't read a Word2 under Word2000!!!!

> Perfect.  But if the other vendors have to spend a lot of time
> figuring out how to read the latest Microsoft format, and more
> important for me, if I have to spend a lot of time searching
> for some program which can do it, then that adds an extra cost
> to not using MS products.

...On others using MS products!!!
--
SALUD,
Jesús

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:11:04 GMT

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:19:30 -0000, Scott Alfter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>It's a drive-imaging program...you can make an image of a system
>configuration for backup or replication purposes.  You can do basically the
>same thing under Linux with tar, lilo, fdisk, etc., combined together in a

One additional feature with Ghost is that it can resize FAT and
NTFS partitions.  This is handy when the source and target drives are
different sizes.

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: Brendan Heading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE Linux 7.0 problems
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:45:29 +0100

In article <5boJ5.14015$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Grahame
Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>You should update to X 4.0.1 from suse.com. I did and it fixed the
>same problems I had with my Matrox card.

I updated it and the problems seem to have subsided. I found it easier
to modify the XF86Config file directly, though, rather than use their
SaX2 utility.

Weirdly now the KDE2 final build won't go on to my system at all.
Attempting to install the KDEBase2 RPM returns with a failed dependency
error (libXm.o). I installed the other required RPMs first. A lot of
them contain similarly named libraries so I'm wondering if the person
who compiled the rpm may have made a typo ?

--
Brendan Heading, Belfast, Northern Ireland

Tús maith leath na hoibre...

------------------------------

From: Brendan Heading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Triple boot with NT in second drive
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:51:33 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, BO
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Hi all,
>
>I have a PC running Caldera Linux and Win98(dual boot) with "grub" as my
>boot loader. Not iam planning to have another HDD with WinNT installed in
>it. Could you please advice me how i can do that and whether to use "grub"
>or NT as my boot loader.

I found it easiest to do this with (spit) the NT boot loader and Lilo;
clean and flawless, and it gives you a natty menu.

There is a mini-Howto explaining in detail how it is done. Basically you
edit your lilo.conf so that the bootsector goes onto the first sector of
the partition (NOT the master boot record). Then you peel off that
sector and write it into a file. A quick modification to NT's "boot.ini"
file allows you to have a third menu option which loads in the boot
sector and kicks off Lilo.

From: Brendan Heading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: secure bootup phase (lilo,boot)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:55:11 +0100

In article <8t1c97$kq7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christoph Kukulies
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Does anyone know where to put an according trap to the interrupt signal
>and possibly other (Quit) signals in the rc files, to close this backdoor
>also?

Even if root access like this can be completely isolated from the system
(a lot of work) what's to stop someone sticking a boot floppy in and
accessing the filesystem from there ? If the system is unsupervised and
must be secure then you're best locking it in a room somewhere.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:25:33 GMT

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:22:20 -0500, Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You haven't had much occasion to try then.  I've had trouble
>reading Microsoft Word documents with Microsoft Word.  They regularly
>change the format.  So you can't count on MS Word 97 reading
>MS Word 2000.  Few other vendors could get away with that.
>
>I can sometimes but not always read Word documents with Applix
>and Abiword.  Perhaps I might be able to do better with Word
>Perfect.  But if the other vendors have to spend a lot of time
>figuring out how to read the latest Microsoft format, and more
>important for me, if I have to spend a lot of time searching
>for some program which can do it, then that adds an extra cost
>to not using MS products.

So far star office has done an incredible job of reverse engineering mickysoft
file formats.  I have no problem read/writing word/excell/ppt/etc formats,
although if a word document is very important, I'll fire up vmware and use MS's
word viewer to check.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Debian Woody: X-error: could not open default font 'fixed'
Date: 27 Oct 2000 19:38:23 GMT

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:33:07 +0200, Oliver Battenfeld wrote:
>> >debs. Whenever I do a "startx", I get the following error message:
>> Make sure the font server is running, do a ps -e and if it's not running
>
>I have xfstt installed and running.
>
>Strange thing, indeed ...

I have xfstt installed but I also need xfs running aswell for some reason.
If I remember correctly you need to start xfs then xfstt.

  585 ?        00:00:00 xfs
  600 ?        00:00:00 xfstt
11674 ?        00:00:15 xfstt

I seem to have two instances of xfstt running.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  6:54pm  up 16 days, 20:14,  3 users,  load average: 1.28, 1.18, 1.06

------------------------------

From: Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HP35480A scsi tape drive config
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:11:55 -0500

Guy Smith wrote:

> Well, the symptoms changed a bit after I selected a resonable varitation of
> a scinit.def file.

I've used 35480As on two different Red Hat 6.X systems and it's been
trivial. There is, in addition, no scinit.def file.

> What I think I need is the data to feed stinit.  HP's support site was
> useless.

If you can honestly say that, you did not look very far nor try very hard.

http://209.38.194.51/ddstree/symptom3.html is place for DDS troubleshooting
help.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/hp35480add9824.html is the starting
place for finding information about the drive.

http://forum1.support.hp.com:88/servlet/CLA_Servlet.Login?forumNum=000221
is the place to sign up for and enter the HP Community Forum for HP
Surestore DAT Tape Drives. Here you can read an actual person's answers to
specific questions from people who have signed up for the Forum. If you go
there, you will see several questions from me.

I downloaded the entire manual set in PDF form from one of HP's web sites,
but I did not bookmark the page. The manuals are in a 1.3MB tar.gz file
(maybe a tar file which I compressed on my system).

> Now the tape drive will not hold onto a tape.  Insert
> the tape, it loads, spins for a few seconds, then ejects.

If the tape has been loaded more than 99 times, the drive will
automatically eject it. Try a different tape.

> "mt load"  results in an I/O error.
> Attempting a tar results in " Cannot write: No medium found"

If the tape won't stay loaded, errors from mt and tar are normal.

Craig

------------------------------

From: "Emmanuel Beranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Which mail client ?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:01:32 +0200

Thanks for the answer ...

I happen to have Netscape, but I never found how this could be working at
all in Netscape.

From: "Emmanuel Beranger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:04:25 +0200

I have Miro PCTV running on W95 (W2K should be ok then) and Linux fine.