From: "Chris Richards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Error running "configure" scripts
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 21:24:17 +0000

Hi! (newbie calling)
When I run any  configure scripts (but particularly
sawfish 0.27.2) I get the following error:
"checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type;
you must specify one"
and then the script stops running. Can someone please explain why it is
doing this and how I can fix it? Thanks
*chris*

------------------------------

From: Storm_Warning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which Files For Which package / Hardware on Linux??
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 20:30:04 GMT

I am in the process of Building up a Linux Based system using REDHAT
6.22...going through most of the various Software Downloads I am
confronted by install packages for my particular platform...my question of
confussion arrises from this though....which package should I download and
TRY (optimistic as always) for example the GNOME 1.2 for Redhat had to
seperate folders..both abouth the same size however one was made up of
files in this format extace-1.2.1-1.src.rpm and the other was made up of
files in this format extace-1.2.1-1.i386.rpm So which package do I need??

For information the system is a PII400 overclocked to 450 running 2 IDE
Ultra 66 HD's 128 meg SDRAM HP 9300i CDRW Pioneer 40x CDROM  Creative Labs
PCI64 soundcard and Creative Labs Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT 16meg and a
LUCENT PCI LT WINMODEM (Iknow there are drivers out there for the
modem..found them already) my other modem is unsupported at this stage
(NETCOM Roadster II 56K V90 USB)

Anyway back to my problem.....anyone care to shed some light....because
downloading 150 meg worth of package on a dial up to find out it is
worthless is no fun

Sincerley
Storm_Warning

"Murpheys Rule Of Combat Operations #47"
"A Sucking Chest Wound Is Natures Way Of Telling You To Slow Down!"

Subject: Re: "ln -s" on dos partition
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 20:33:44 GMT

Vinod Gupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> We can't create symbolic links on dos/fat partition
> using linux "ln -s <dst> <src>".
> Is there any way around?

Symbolic link is a feature of Unix filesystems.
Fat doesn't support it.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 13:54:24 -0700

Jonathan Thornburg wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Krawitz  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [[referring to Red Hat]]
> >what difference does it make?  At the end of the day,
> >they're selling boxed sets containing a few CD's and a manual.
> >Microsoft is selling boxed sets containing a few CD's and a manual.
> >The difference is that Red Hat allows copying of said CD's and
> >Microsoft doesn't.
>
> And that Red Hat allows you to use the same boxed set for more than
> one machine.  (This makes a *big* difference in the cost when you have
> a network of N machines.)

The arguement of costs is not important at all.

At least for any real businesses.

You see. Business software is part of the business expenses, so, they're
tax deductable.

The money has got to go, either to the software companies, or to the tax
collectors.

So.  Tell me where's the *real* saving!!!???

> And that Red Hat's boxed-sets are a *lot* cheaper.

It only matters to the free beer drunken college geeks who zero real
income, and too much free time on his/her hands.

Ciao,

- blowfish.

--
- Alex / blowfish.
--
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
  KISS rules. That's why I use Easy Edit (ee). Small. Simple and fast.
:-)
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs
==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song)Fingerprint -v.i007bond: Doe1(-a deer a female
deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
needle pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Luis Domingo =?iso-8859-1?Q?L=F3pez?=
Subject: Re: Powerpoint viewer
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 20:58:23 GMT

Hi Robert Clayton:

> Yes you can use StarOffice for this, you won't have to BUY a whole suite but you
> will have to download a whole suite.

And he will have to upgrade the computer's memory at least to 64 MB, or the
program will probably not run :-(

José Luis Domingo López

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:06:58 -0700

John Hasler wrote:

> Phillip Lord writes:
> > The separation of the "government" and the "economy" is strange though.
>
> It's conventional.

Want "innovation?"  Try Micro$oft and Red Hat.

The more innovate they are.  The more broken pieces they're creating.
;-)

> > The government effects the economy enormously by the simple act of being
> > there and spending as much cash as it does, and the economy massively
> > effects the government and what it can do.
>
> Nonetheless, treating the economy and the government as seperate systems is
> a useful approximation, "Everything is part of everything else" holism is
> not practical.

Oh Geez! The *RMS's wacky philosophy has ruined your head.

(*Footnote- RMS. The initials of the creator of the GNU-GPL lisence.
Which stands for: *R*idiculously *M*ad (or, crazy- for those who
understand only American English.) and *S*illy, or *S*tupid - pick your
choiced word - software lisencing.)

That's also about to sum up his aposals and groupies. :-0 :-|

- blowfish.

--
- Alex / blowfish.

From: gkrpan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: reinstalling LILO
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:59:32 GMT

If you've got a RedHat boot floppy, you can use the floppy to boot to your linux
partition, and once you've logged in you can just type "lilo" and it will re-write
it.  It's worked for me when I've needed to do it.

Hope this helps.

Simon Lemieux wrote:

> Hi,
>         I currently have Windows98 and RedHat 6.1 on my HD...  I installed Windows
> first and then Redhat so lilo would overwrite the first sector on Windows'
> partition...  but now I need to reinstall Windows and I know the installer
> always perform a Format that will erase lilo...  I was wondering how I could
> have lilo rewrite it's boot sector over the first of windows' partition just
> like the Redhat 6.1 installer does!
>
> Thanks a lot!
>         Simon

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.misc.discuss
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 21:16:44 GMT

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> --
> - Alex / blowfish.
> --
> - If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
> hands,
>   lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
> time.
>   But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
> takes
>   Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
>   KISS rules. That's why I use Easy Edit (ee). Small. Simple and fast.
> :-)
> - The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
> geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
>   geek + vi | ~/emacs
> ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
>   newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
> EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
> - My SAS (Sing-A-Song)Fingerprint -v.i007bond: Doe1(-a deer a female
> deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
>   Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
> needle pulling thread.)
>   lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
> will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...

this has to be one of the all time greatest signatures.  well, at
least, seen since 1991.  it's all there -- the computer quotes, the
jab at geek codes, the fun psuedo unix shell notations.

i have to especially point out the song spoof at the end.  thanks for
the reminder.  i'll be whistling along to my sound of music LP.

the only thing lacking, if you will permit the impertinence of my
suggestion, is a large ascii art.  you seemt to be a man of refinment
and taste, therefore i heartily recommend the classic two-handed sword
motif.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:29:03 -0700

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   blowfish> John Hasler wrote:
>   >>  Phillip Lord writes: > ...rather than in capitalist state where
>   >> the ruling class gain the > benefit from the fruits of their
>   >> employees work.
>   >>
>   >> This of course is not capitalism but plutocracy.
>   >>
>   >> > Indeed Marx's definition...
>   >>
>   >> He mentioned communism, not Marxism (I favor neither, but
>   >> communism at least makes sense).
>
>   blowfish> If communism make sense. Then, why China - the last BIG
>   blowfish> communism country in the world is opening up to
>   blowfish> capitalism!?
>
>         Possibly you should actually read the notes in a thread, and
> understand what they are trying to say before you comment on them. Do
> you need the activities of global capitalism to tell you that the
> Chinese government are not so great? Was Tiananmen square not enough
> for you?

I've read the thread, and I stand up for what I've said here.

I've NEVER said communist China is great.

Please re-read my last post carefully before you get all uptight again.
;-)

>   blowfish> Coke. McDonald's, Levi's, Nike's, Mercedes Benz, BMWs,
>   blowfish> Audis, Rolex, Marboro cigarettes, Pizza Huts, Sony tv,
>   blowfish> Avon (yes, the best selling thing for the Chinese women in
>   blowfish> China!) are so popular in this communist country?
>
>   blowfish> Those are all symbos of major capitalism. No?
>
>         If capitalism is so wonderful why then is it investing in
> a massively repressive regime? And why does the indispensable nation
> which is so totally committed to freedom give it preferred trading
> status. "Constructive engagement" right? Perhaps. And how does this
> apply to E. Timor, or Somalia, or Kosovo? Or is it just that
> global capitalism could not really care less about freedom.

Money. Money. Dude!

Money talks. Bull shit walks.

People (communist or capitalist) will flocks to where opportunity is,
and try to get whatever they can make out of it. Especially with a
potentially HUGH market like China has.

If you can make just one dollar from everybody in China for just one
day... Need I say more on how lucrative the reward would be!? ;-)

It's basic econ-101.

But do you know what communism is?

Let me tell you:With communism - YOUR MONEY IS MY MONEY. AND MY MONEY IS
MY MONEY. AND YOU'RE JUST A SLAVE TO ME. YOU'RE LUCKY THAT I GIVE YOU A
PIECE OF BREAD TO EAT EVERYDAY. NOW. GET BACK TO WORK.

Now go read some history, political science and economic literature.

Reading geek's news, worshipping RMS while drinking free beer won't get
you any where in the real world.

- blowfish.

--
- Alex / blowfish.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: sound card
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 21:36:22 GMT

This is my /dev/sndstat (below)

it seems that the card is configured but not detected (according to
HOWTOs) What should i do?
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.14-6.1.1smp #1 SMP Thu Apr 13
19:55:55 EDT 2000 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 0: Creative EMU10K1 (0.4)

Card config:
(Sound Blaster Live! at 0xe460 irq 16)

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster Live! (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
Not supported by current driver

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster Live!

Timers:
0: System Clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster Live!

In article <8mf7lo$51f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Not sure why but I've had problems with the version of the sblive
drivers
> that comes with the kernel.  On one system the sound from sndconfig
was clear
> but garbled, on a second it was very faint and garbled.
>
> Grab the latest snapshot at opensource.creative.com.  If your compiler
is set
> up right the install should take under 10 seconds.  (only slight
exaggeration)

> tar zxvf emu101k?.tar.gz
> cd emu101k
> make
> sudo make install (or "su" followed by "make install" if you don't use
"sudo")

> We got our PC through a local vendor and shelled out $50 for the
"shareware
> version" of Redhat 6.2 (what we could have downloaded ourselves free
had we
> wanted to spend the time).  What we got was a system with no hardware
> configured and *every* *single* rpm from the CD installed on our
harddrive.
> We were not pleased.  It would be nice if Dell had updated the sound
drivers
> for you, but I'm used to having to go out and get the latest drivers
on
> Windows PCs too, so I guess this isn't so bad.
>
> Chris
>
> In alt.os.linux [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : Hi,
>
> : Our new Dell Linux box came with Soundblaster Live! Sound card. I'm
> : having difficulty getting it to play music, etc. I get the system
beep
> : THROUGH THE SPEAKERS though. sndconfig runs smoothly, but the sound
> : sample can not be heard. Selecting Soundblaster Live! manually
doesn't
> : change anything.
>
> : What should I do? How can I find out if the kernel needs to be
> : recompiled? It's a shame that this doesn't work, because we paid
GOOD

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 15:00:59 -0700

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   >> And why does the indispensable nation which is so totally
>   >> committed to freedom give it preferred trading status.
>
>   news> Not preferred status, normal status (which used to be called,
>   news> rather confusingly, "most favored nation status").  And the
>   news> reason, of course, is expediency.
>
>         I believe that I am accurate in my reflection of the
> terminology used by the US government.
>
>   >> Or is it just that global capitalism could not really care less
>   >> about freedom.
>
>   news> Capitalism, global or otherwise, does not care about freedom
>   news> or anything else.  It's an economic theory, not a political
>   news> movement.
>
>         I have already expressed my opinion that the idea that
> you can separate society into economics and politics silly. When Shell
> Oil encouraged the Nigerian government to execute Ken Saro Wiwa were
> they being economical or political? When Suharto of Indonesia invaded
> E. Timor, and has 1/3 of the population massacred over the next 6 years,
> with US and UK made weapons, funded by money from Australian oil
> companies who extracted the oil that E.Timor sat on top of, was this a
> political act or an economic one? What about Philip Morris' and BAT
> attempts to sabotage the WHO anti-smoking campaign? Or M$'s attempts
> to side step the US governments attentions using several political
> organisations as a front, if I understood the story correctly?

Oh Boy!

>From Penguin to world politics, economic and philosophy all in one
thread... Woo Wee! :P

I've created a MONSTER thread here. :-0

Oil has been the major income for Indonesia for ages.

According to my friends in Indonesia (native people, not "foreigner.").
The situation is more complex than what you've described here.

First.  There's the racial issue. The native people in Indonesia have
been ruled by "foreigners" for a long time. If you look at the flag of
Indonesia, you can see that actually is the Dutch's flag with one of the
colour removed.

Then, after the Dutch colonialism rule. Came Suharto - an Indonesian of
Chinese descendent, from a VERY rich family came to power. Also. The
native people in most parts of Indonesia, like Java, are of a different
race/tribe of people; and they have been waring between each other
through out history. Just like the Scotts were fighting the English, or
the waring between different tribes of the Vikings in the old days.

Then, the natives in E. Timor got tired of being ruled by "outsider.",
and tired of the Chinese-Indosians controlling much of the economy. They
rebelled.

Then, the military got involved once the mass murdeering of
Chinese-Indonesian had begun... and the rest is history. I don't want to
waste bandwidth to repeat the whole saga here.

As far as the weapon goes. If the U.S., U.K. didn't sell the Indonesian
military the weapon. I'm sure France and Brazil, or Cz would surely
happy to fill the orders. It's not a moral issue to the weapon trade.
It's just another business contract.

They didn't get into the weapon business for the sake of humanity.
Would you!? ;-)

--
- Alex / blowfish.

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 15:01:51 -0700

J Bland wrote:

> >--
> >- Alex / blowfish.
> >--
> >- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
> >hands,
> >  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
> >time.
> >  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
> >takes
> >  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
> >  KISS rules. That's why I use Easy Edit (ee). Small. Simple and fast.
> >:-)
> >- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
> >geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
> >  geek + vi | ~/emacs
> >==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
> >  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
> >EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
> >- My SAS (Sing-A-Song)Fingerprint -v.i007bond: Doe1(-a deer a female
> >deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
> >  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
> >needle pulling thread.)
> >  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
> >will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...
>
> Anybody ever told you your sig is insultingly huge?
>
> Frinky

I know. :-0

--
- Alex / blowfish.

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 15:05:58 -0700

John Hasler wrote:

> blowfish writes:
> > Copyright does not interfers with free market.
>
> The express purpose of copyright is to suppress the free market in copies
> of copyrighted works.

Here we go again!

The express purpose of copyright is to keep the *FREE LOADERS* away. So,
the copyright owner can sell his/her work in the FREE MARKET, or allow
it to be used under their own FREE will.

Kapish!

--
- Alex / blowfish.