From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:09:46 -0700

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   blowfish> If you try to set up a booth right outside of 10, Downing
>   blowfish> Street to sell stolen property. I'm sure Tony will have a
>   blowfish> few choiced words with you, and have you escorted away by
>   blowfish> Bobbies. ;-)
>
>         Well Tony already did this inside number 10. The racism and
> bigotry he stole from Thatcher, the complete absence of any real
> policies from Major. The "third way" rhetoric may not be stolen, but
> as he appears to have found up his ass, I am not sure that this is
> anything to boast about.

Yeah, sure.  But ?who? put Tony in office? ;-)

Same here with Billy. ;-)

--
- Alex / blowfish.(Have Fun with geek's culture: Part-1.)
--
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs
==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female
deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
needle pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...

------------------------------

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with Belkin OmniView Switch box ?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:18:06 GMT

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I am running Mandrake 7.1, and am using a Belkin Omni View SE 4-Port to
>> switch between the Linux box and a Win98 box.
>>
>> I am finding that when I switch from the Win98 box to the Linux box,
>> spurious character(s) seem to be sent to a Linux xterm.  It seems as if
>> usually, the spurious character is an "up-arrow", since I often find my
>> last command (repeated) in the command line (I am using bash).  I am
>> running the same setup at work with a Linux and NT box and have seen
>> nary a problem.
>>
>> Anybody else having this problem ? This is an annoyance, but my
>> real worry is that one day I am going to have something disastrous,
>> repeated in the command line...
>>
>> thanks,
>> terry
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.

> My Berkin Omni 4 ports KVM died after 2.5 months.

> I don't have any windoz machine, so, can't answer that part. It worked
> okay with *BSD and Linux. But died a premature death.

******* Did this switch let you alt-f1 or alt-f2 to different
******* screens when NOT using X.

thanks

griz

> --
> - Alex / blowfish.(Have Fun with geek's culture: Part-1.)
> --
> - If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
> hands,
>   lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
> time.
>   But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
> takes
>   Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
> - The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
> geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
>   geek + vi | ~/emacs
> ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
>   newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
> EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
> - My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female
> deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
>   Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
> needle pulling thread.)
>   lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
> will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:27:12 -0700

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:
> >Christopher Browne wrote:
> >> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:

> >> Money is a construct for which ownership is pretty intrinsic.
> >>
> >> Its _essence_ is as an expression of owned value.
> >>
> >> Thus, any argument surrounding the notion of things that _cannot be
> >> owned_ cannot be applied to money, at least not without taking _great_
> >> care to form syllogisms to indicate the lack of ownership.
> >
> >How/Why money cannot be owned?
> >
> >If you've created something, anything, and people likes it, they pay you
> >money for it, or for a copy of it. Then, you've *EARNED* that money, and
> >that money belongs to you. You have every legal title over that money.
> >
> >Or if your parents have earned the money, and passed it down to you,
> >then, you have inherented the money bevause of your parents. Even if you
> >didn't work for it yourself.
> >
> >That money is still yours. And you're the legal owner of that money.
>
> I don't disagree with all that; the notion of being "owned" is pretty
> intrinsic to money.
>
> The point is that if the original premise concerned something that
> _couldn't_ be owned, it is problematic to try to build analogies using
> money, which _is_ owned.

The *only* things that cannot be owned are the things that you are not
entilted to.

Let me ask you this:

Everybody has got a life. Right?

So. Does that means nobody should own his/her own life?

If so.  Can I come over and ripe your life apart any which ways I
wanted, because it's wrong that you can own your life???

Can you think in a *real* human prespective, and think and communicate
like a *real* human.

Or you can only think machine codes and talk to machines?

Did you forgot to take your Pozac?

> >> Putting that another way, if A robs a bank, then A has taken some
> >> form of property that is _owned_.
> >>
> >Wrong again.  The bank NEVER OWNED the money. The money is owned by
> >depositors, and leave it their under "TRUSTS". And allowing the bank to
> >invest the deposited money, but give some interests back to those who
> >deposited the money as a reward/return, and promise try to keep their
> >money safe.
>
> Wrong about what?  I never said _who_ owned the money.  It could be
> owned by the bank.  Or by depositors.  Or by the bank's owners.
>
> That's not of any importance to the point, which was that if money is
> stolen from the bank, something _owned_ has been taken.  The question
> of who owns it is not particularly relevant; the point is that it
> happens to be owned by _someone_, which means that the example doesn't
> relate to the original contention about:
>    "if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?"

That only applies to the thinking of the humanoids. :-0

> So far, you're doing a real good job of showing that you can't stay on
> track.  You keep changing subjects, and not addressing the original
> claim, which is that:
>    "if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?"

To humanoids like you. You just take whatever your heart (or are you
powered by GNU-GPLed cpu?)
desires without ANY concerns about others, or anything. A totally
self-centered, SELFISHED, elitist, and obnoxious bunch of
mofo.foo.bar.humanoids.

> If you are interested in a debate, then debate that statement.  Don't
> change topics to "robbing banks" which doesn't relate in any useful
> way.

If you want to debate. THINK LIKE A REAL HUMAN.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Size of /var/lib/rpm - why so big?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:30:18 GMT

On 7 Aug 2000 09:48:38 -0500, Dave Brown wrote:
>>>Mine are likely so low because I generally uninstall the RPM packages and
>>>compile/install from tarballs as much software as possible. My goal is to
>>>eventually have every single piece of software on my system compiled by
>>>myself.
>>>
>>>(Call me oldschool if you will, I just prefer it that way :> )
>
>In that case, I'd think you'd use Slackware, since the only advantage
>of RH or RH-derivatives is "package management", which you have abandoned.

I haven't completely abandoned it, but I'm working towards it. I just
today updated all my installed RPMs via SuSE's FTP update site. I intend
to slowly get each package's sorce tarball and compile them from scratch,
but I only want to do that one at a time so that I can concentrate on it
with my full attention.

I've only got 154 packages left that haven't been compiled from source
(that's how many were updated from SuSE), but am trying to get that below
100 by the end of the month if possible.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: Vlar Schreidlocke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:30:30 GMT

On 7 Aug 2000 09:48:38 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave
Brown) wrote:

>>>Mine are likely so low because I generally uninstall the RPM packages and
>>>compile/install from tarballs as much software as possible. My goal is to
>>>eventually have every single piece of software on my system compiled by
>>>myself.
>>>
>>>(Call me oldschool if you will, I just prefer it that way :> )
>
>In that case, I'd think you'd use Slackware, since the only advantage
>of RH or RH-derivatives is "package management", which you have abandoned.
>
>I'm a Slackware hold-out slowly migrating to rpm-based systems simply
>because package management does make life a little easier.  (Admittedly,
>Slackware does have a package tool, which is helpful, but not thorough.)
>
>Re: the size of the rpm database--disk space has gotten awfully cheap.

But how do I resize (make larger) my /var partition without trashing
everything in it?

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:34:45 -0700

Robert Krawitz wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Also. You did contradicted your own idea of *free software*, as you have
> > taken the money from Debian as a reward.
> >
> > Isn't that your codes should be *FREE* as in money - free, unlike
> > non-GNU-GPL codes-which costs money, as in *FREE BEER* too!?
>
> No, "free" as in "free software" only refers to "free speech"
> (liberty), not "free beer".  It's perfectly legal to sell GPL'ed
> software for whatever the market will bear.  The only thing the seller
> has to do is provide the source code, and not restrict further
> distribution beyond what the GPL specifies.

No. Speech to most *real* human means expressing ideas, communicating to
other *real* humans.

Software, codes are expressive and communicative  *only* to geeks
(sometimes, not so human <grin>) and machines.

So. The general legal definition of "FREE SPEECH" should *EXCLUDED*
machine codes. Beer or no beer. (Beer stinks anyway. I hate beer.) In my
f*cking opinion. ;-)

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: reclaiming the master boot record?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:36:17 GMT

Peter Bismuti wrote:

> I tried running lilo as root and my machine still wants to boot into
> Win98.  Apparently I wrote over more than the MBR.
>
> What can I do now if anything?
>
> Thanks

Do you get the LILO prompt? If you do, try typing "linux" at
the prompt. Post the contents of /etc/lilo.conf if you're not
getting the prompt.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:38:34 -0700

Robert Krawitz wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
> > > Which isn't what you said.  You said that the money went either to the
> > > software company or the taxman.
> > >
> > Gosh!
> >
> > If you pay the money to the software company, and, as a result, you can
> > pay less tax.
> > Isn't that you still end up paying less?
>
> Yes, but you still pay more than zero.

Yes, but how about the costs in retrainning? And time lost!? ;-)

> > > Clearly only half (at a marginal rate of 50%) goes to the taxman.
> > >
> > Then, deduct the other half as business loss. Talk to your tax
> > accountant/bean counter.
>
> Well, not quite.  As a business expense, it has already been taken out
> of your income.  You can't (legally) deduct it twice.

No. I was talking as a whole biz org. point. Not as an individual.

Again, I'm not a bean counter, or tax man. Consult with your own
bean-counter or tax consultant.

> > Take Boeing as an example.  If they go the free software route, they can
> > save millions in software costs, but they decided against it, because
> > it's not practical for such a big international corp to switch
> > everything, tens of thousands of employees in numourous countries, and,
> > the trainning costs and time loss will far outcosted the cost saving in
> > free software.
>
> That's quite a different issue.

That's part of the total costs too. Isn't it!?

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.... which is newbie friendlier?
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:44:07 -0700

John David Bowden wrote:

> blowfish ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : >
> : > Any input will be appreciated.
>
> : Both are about the same.
>
>   ...unless you're doing a lot of hooks with web-based apps.
>
>   MySQL (IMO) has a much better permissions infrastructure.  It is much
> easier to define which users have access to which databases (or fields!)
> from which hosts.
>
>   MySQL lacks transactions and triggers (AFAIK), which Postgres does not.
>
> J.

You are correct. :-)

MySQL is faster too, if you only need static data. But PostgreSQL seems
to be more data friendly too (less chance of lossing data.)

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 07 Aug 2000 16:36:26 -0400

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Robert Krawitz wrote:

> > The claim at hand is that copyright interferes with the workings of a
> > truly free market by forbidding others from making copies and selling
> > them (giving one person an artificial monopoly in the good).
> >
> If you are not the owner/creator of that object. Then, you have no right
> to sell, modify or do anything with it without the owner/creator's
> permission. Period.

but an idea is *not* an object.  period.

why should an idea be owned?  can an idea be owned?  sometimes not.
e.g., mathematics cannot be patented or copyrighted.  the square root
of two is a concept free for anyone's taking -- yet it is created.
--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: 7 Aug 2000 20:50:35 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Vlar Schreidlocke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>But how do I resize (make larger) my /var partition without trashing
>everything in it?

You could just link it ( or just link your rpmdatabase) to somewhere
where there is more room.
(eg, put the database directory  into /usr/rpm/ and put a link to it in /var/lib
cp -pr /var/lib/rpm /usr/rpm
mv /var/lib/rpm /var/lib/rpm.old
ln -s /usr/rmp /var/lib/rpm
And once you are sure it works,
rm -r /var/lib/rpm.old

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /usr/sbin/nscd
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 18:00:49 GMT

David Steuber writes:
> Does anybody know what this program is or what it does?

hasler//home/john# dpkg -s nscd
Package: nscd
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 91
Maintainer: Joel Klecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Source: glibc
Version: 2.1.2-11
Replaces: libc6 (<< 2.1-4)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1)
Conffiles:
 /etc/nscd.conf 6d8107f18e4346f7d353d124ecf19585
 /etc/init.d/nscd d0d3b39720040ac2a37210d36bb73e2e
 A daemon which handles passwd and group lookups
 for running programs and caches the results for the next
 query. You should install this package only if you use
 slow Services like LDAP, NIS or NIS+

--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)