From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 17:16:43 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <8n4j2o$urk$15$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Cullmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Ok, it is no easy question, but which distribution is the best in your eyes.
> I search one that works well with GNOME.

There is no single best distribution; each has its advantages and
drawbacks. For GNOME support, Red Hat and (I believe) Debian favor
GNOME, but GNOME comes with many others, and works with all of them
(except for micro-distributions, like the Linux Router Project). For my
thoughts on several distributions, check my web page on the topic:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Grischa Stegemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: imwheel autostart
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 19:26:30 +0200

vanepelw wrote:
> does anyone know of a way to start imwheel
> automatically as a standard user??

How about just putting it into your ".xinitrc" or ".xsession"?
These files will be executed as soon as you start your X session.
So just start all the X stuff you want here. This will also work for
any other windowmanager while this autostart thing is very KDE
specific.

EJ's suggestion with the profile may also work. Nevertheless this is
the wrong place to start X applications because the profile will be
executed anytime you are starting a bash as a login shell. This means
even if you're just logging in on a text terminal or remote via telnet
it will be executed, too.
--
                         Grischa

Grischa Stegemann                       Technische Universitaet Berlin
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** We are here on Earth to do good for others.
*** What the others are here for, I do not know.
(W.H. Auden)
           `-> http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?prmID=121

------------------------------

From: Stefan Soos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have info on how to setup a dial-in server
Date: 13 Aug 2000 19:28:58 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Hi,

> Does anyone know where I can find documents on how to setup a dial-in
> server on Redhat 6.2

I've tried to send the info file to you, but your mailbox seems
to exceed your quotas. Mail me, if you cleaned up your mailbox.

You could also tell me some place, where I could upload it for you.

Bye,

Stefan
--
Send mail with subject 'get gpgkey' to recieve gpg-public-key

------------------------------

From: Jim Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: KVM Mouse Problems
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 17:34:47 GMT

We have a Belkin OmniPro 8 port KVM switch that does not work
with RH6.2.  The mouse behaves as if it is receiving a continuous
random stream of up, right and click messages. The cursor stays
in the upper right corner and jumps back there if moved away.
Needless to say, it is unusable.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--
Jim Garrison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
PGP Keys at http://www.acm.org/~jhg RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88

------------------------------

From: Tom Kralidis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: localhost, DNS, arp tables help sought
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:44:47 -0400

Hi,

I attempted to setup a private, self-contained LAN with two computers
(Win98 & Redhat6.2), and have acheived connectivity between both (samba,
printers, telnet, ftp).  However, I'm having some minor hiccups which
lead to to believe my network setup may be buggy.

The two problems I'm having are, from the linux box:

1) can't ping or nslookup localhost by name, but successful with
127.0.0.1

2) can't nslookup Win98 box by ip, but successful with hostname.

(can't find 192.168.1.6: non-existent host/domain)

My network is setup as follows:

domainname=swoosh.ca
linuxbox IP = 192.168.1.5 jedi.swoosh.ca jedi
win98    IP = 192.168.1.6 sith.swoosh.ca sith

nameserver=192.168.1.5
subnet mask= 255.255.255.240

I setup the linux box with the following params:

/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=jedi.swoosh.ca
DOMAINNAME=swoosh.ca
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
GATEWAYDEV=eth0
GATEWAY=192.168.1.49

/etc/syscongif/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.63
IPADDR=192.168.1.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
NETWORK=192.168.1.48
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.5 jedi.swoosh.ca jedi
192.168.1.6 sith.swoosh.ca sith

Here's what I get from some programs, when checking:
[jedi:~]{12}% /sbin/ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:24:4D:49:82
          inet addr:192.168.1.5  Bcast:192.168.1.63
Mask:255.255.255.240
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x210

[jedi:~]{13}% /sbin/ifconfig lo
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

[jedi:~]{14}% netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
192.168.1.48    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.240 U         0 0          0
eth0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.240 U         0 0          0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0
lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.49    0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0
eth0

[jedi:~]{16}% /sbin/arp
Address                 HWtype  HWaddress           Flags
Mask            Iface
sith.swoosh.ca          ether   00:C0:4F:B6:20:A9
C                     eth0
192.168.1.49
(incomplete)                              eth0

I believe the ARP tables should show every IP address?

Currently, the network *is functional*, but I would like to have a firm
setup before moving on to more complicated stuff.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

..Tom

------------------------------

From: PoD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Midnight commander and rpm packages browsing problems
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:28:41 +0930

"Mad@Spammers" wrote:

> Hi Folks!
>
> I use mc to browse through rpm packages' directory structure. It works
> fine with mc4.5.40 but newest versions don't allow for this: they only
> show basic info on the package (header, install and upgrade scripts
> links etc) but no directories and files. I've tried to figure out the
> command mc issues to rpm to do this but seemingly they are identical.
> Does somebody know what should I change to retrieve the old behaviour in
> newer mc versions?
>
> Thanks for your help.

I don't know why it's behaviour is different, but you can still get into
the contents of the rpm by pressing Enter on the *.rpm file, then again
on the CONTENTS.cpio file you see inside it.

Cheers, PoD.

------------------------------

From: "Jed Baer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MIT-MAGIC-COOKIES and X start problem ...
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:14:04 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Michael Yuan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have this problem for while but could not figure out a solution ... I can
> only startx as "root" from one of my RH6.2 box. Any other user will get
> "auth failed" message when they tried to start X server. It would not work
> even if I deleted .Xauthurity from the user's home directory.  Even as root,
> the start is pretty slow and there were MIT-MAGIC-COOKIES-1 errors on the
> console screen.
>
> I was told that it is likely to be a network related problem. But I really
> cannot figure out what went wrong. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks a lot Michael

I had this problem with RH6.1. It's a known bug, but I don't have the bug
number anymore. I tried to find it using bugzilla.redhat.com, but couldn't.
The only workaround I know of is to switch to runlevel 5, login in as the
other user, then login as root again, and switch back to runlevel 3. startx
should then work for the other user. This doesn't survive a reboot though.

I don't have this problem in with Gentus 3.0, which is based on RH6.2. Maybe
an XFree86 upgade would fix it?

jed
--
\ thag ( at sign )
 \  rockchucker

------------------------------

From: "Jed Baer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gentus 3.0 (RH6.2) Unresolved Symbols at modprobe
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:34:20 -0700

I'm running Gentus3.0, on an Abit KA7, Athlon 750, 256MB ram,
Creative Labs ATAPI CD-RW.

New install. After rebuilding the kernel, I get these errors trying to
load modules for using the CD-RW. I'm configuring the kernel
based on CD-Writing-HOWTO. Kernel is 2.2.15-3.0

Sort of a side question. modules.txt in the source tree doesn't
mention rebooting before doing make modules, but the kernel
HOWTO does. I tried it both ways, didn't make a difference,
but which is preferred?

Thanks for any help.
jed

[root@priapas linux]# modprobe loop
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/loop.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/loop.o: unresolved symbol best_memset
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/loop.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_to_user
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/loop.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_from_user
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/loop.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/loop.o
failed
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/loop.o: insmod loop failed

[root@priapas linux]# modprobe sg
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/sg.o: unresolved symbol __best_copy_from_user_R0e9bd6d9
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/sg.o: unresolved symbol __best_copy_to_user_R89bb9da6
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/sg.o: unresolved symbol best_memset_R3e04c7a1
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/sg.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/sg.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/sg.o: insmod sg failed
[root@priapas linux]# modprobe ide-cd
modprobe: Can't locate module ide-cd
[root@priapas linux]# modprobe ide-scsi
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/ide-scsi.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy_Ra0b82c11
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/ide-scsi.o: unresolved symbol best_memset_R3e04c7a1
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/ide-scsi.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/ide-scsi.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/scsi/ide-scsi.o: insmod ide-scsi failed

[root@priapas linux]# modprobe ide-cd
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol best_memcpy
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol cdrom_fops_R3864ffa0
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol best_memset
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_cdrom_R8d8eb1ac
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol best_copy_to_user
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o: unresolved symbol register_cdrom_R1914a03b
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o
failed
/lib/modules/2.2.15-3.0/block/ide-cd.o: insmod ide-cd failed

--
\ thag ( at sign )
 \  rockchucker

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 11:39:57 -0700

sideband wrote:

> blowfish wrote:

> > > *sigh*
> > >
> > > RedHat most certainly does release 586 and 686 kernel builds.  My PII
> > > and PPro systems all run with an i686-built kernel.

> > > Congratulations.  Yours is not the only distribution that works "out of
> > > the box".
> > >
> > > But I'm surprised you are concerned with "messing around", since (as you
> > > wrote in another post in this thread) you recompile everything anyway.
> > >
> > > -- David
> >
> > I install for friends too. :-)
> > Most of them just want it quick. So. Default installation suit them
> > well.
> >
> > I recompile everything as a learning experience. :-)
> >
> > --
> > - Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer
> >   user. (Have Fun with geek's culture: Part-1-2.4.b-pre.beta1234567.)
> > - Dont fear the Duck.  Resistance is futile. Eat your duck soup.
> > - World Domination:60% *foo.bar.com now serveing Duck a l'Orange with
> >   free side order of duck soup.
> > - Official Duck a l'Orange Counter
> > Registration:
> >
> > #345678.(https://foo.duck.org/orange/duck_soup/duck_counter.php)
> >   (c)Copyrighted by Alex / blowfish. 2000. All Rights Reserved.
>
> HRm....
>
> Why someone wouldn't want to tailor their kernel to the hardware they have is
> beyond me.... The machine boots and runs faster if it doesn't have to wade
> through 400 different card drivers, insert modules, etc, just to get eth0
> working.
>
> But then again, maybe I'm willing to work for something good, rather than
> accepting what someone else has done as "ok".
>
> -SSB

Exactly. Isn't that the main advantage and reason to use opensource stuff? ;-)

If they just want everything by default, and .RPM every apps.  Why not just stick
with Windoz?

--
- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer
  user. (Have Fun with geek's culture:Part 2.4.test.pre.release-1234567.)

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 11:49:48 -0700

J Bland wrote:

> >> The kernel is optimised for it, everything else isn't.
> >>
> >> Frinky
> >Oh Yeah!
> >
> >Are you using SuSE?
>
> Yes. from p100s to Athlon700s to G3s. They mostly run the default packages.
> Which are compiled for 386s and ppc.
>
> >I am. I've been using SuSE since 5.x
> >
> >I'm posting from a SuSE 6.4 2.2.14 kernel, i586 with 3DNow activated.
> >;-)
>
> Well done. That extra math performance makes your mostly integer using
> kernel so much faster. This is from a i586 2.2.16 kernel, with only things
> in it I need. It makes little difference to anything.
>
> 2.2.14 has a serious security bug in it. This is why SuSE has released and
> update to the k_default.rpm package with a 2.2.16 kernel. Keep up with the
> security advisories.

I've updated all the SuSE security fixes on everything that I use. SuSE has
released a 2.2.14 bug fix as well. I've updated mine, as well as YaST and so on.
;-)

I'm on the mailing list.

> >You CAN choose the kernel option from YaST2 during installation.
>
> I know.
>
> >Only sucky-crappy distros like RH, Debian, etc. , and so on you need to
> >recompile for anything other than the generic stuff.
> >
> >Even soundcard, SMP, pentium, ata/dma a bunch of scsi, GForce video, etc
> >runs right out of the box without any messing around.
>
> RH, Debian etc do sound, SMP, pentium and other optimised kernels. The
> entirety of Mandrake is pentium optimised. Stuff that's in the SuSE kernel is
> available as patches elsewhere, and they are being used by other
> distributers.
>
> Yes. This is all the kernel. SuSE 6.4 'out the box' has optimised kernels.
> Which makes a difference. But not much. *Everything else on the CDs* is not
> optimised. They are i386 rpms. They will not have pentium, or mmx, or 3dnow
> optimisations in them.
>
> If you recompile from source then they will, but that's not SuSE 6.4, is it.

I havd the SuSE DVD. I have been compiling everything from source since 6.0

I always buy the official CDs / DVD. Not the elval version from cheapbytes, or
from SuSE's ftp site.

> AT least it sort of is but then you're having to faff about in ways you're
> detracting other distributions for. If you want that extra speed get
> Mandrake, it's *all* optimised.

Don't want any thing based on RedHat. ;-)

Can RED also means REDmond, Washington?

R = Repair / Rebuild
E = Everyday or...
D = Die
H = Have
A = A
T = Turkey.

 :-0

From: "W.Boeke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.be.misc
Subject: Trouble
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 21:01:47 +0200

Hi,

I have a dual-boot Win98/BeOS4.5 machine and tried to add
Linux. So with FIPS I reclaimed a new partition from the
Windows partition, and tried to install Redhat version 6.1.
Uptil formatting with FDISK everything went okay.

But then the installation came to a crashing end, reporting:
    aborted abnormally - received signal 11

Does somebody know what this means, and how it should be
repaired? I'd be very grateful!

Wouter Boeke

------------------------------

From: "RR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: scanner
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:02:18 +0100

As to configure a plate scsi of a scanner Mustek 600 II CD in the
distribution Mandrake 7?

I thank any help or information at once.

Greetings

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 11:59:03 -0700

Robert Krawitz wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > To the average real human beings at large. Source code is as
> > readable as what I've put up here. ;-)
>
> For the Nth time, so what?

So what!?

So, It's *NOT* a speech, or expression for the *REAL* human. ;-)

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:04:18 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> >>
> >> Some kind of Dick, anyway...
>
> > Dick?  No.   I'm a whimp.
>
> Someone here doesn't understand a simple british insult...
> Over here Dick == Penis

I know what a "Dick" means. You're just a mad , humourless blok.

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:08:18 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> >>
> >> Tell me about it... No matter what I eat., I just CAN'T seem to put on
> >> weight...
> >>
> > Time to visit your doctor...
>
> Why? 10 1/2 stone's only a few lbs under weight for my height.

Maybe some parasites are free loading inside your body, just like the way the
GNU-GPL parasites are free loading off from the system / society!?

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 12:09:29 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> >> No. I'm doing it out of the goodness of me 'art, plus a side order of
> >> slightly entertaining troll baiting...
> >>
> > So. You're a troll? No?
>
> No. You're the troll I'm baiting.

How can a fish trolls the fishermen?