  Re: dds2tar-2.5.1 DAT-Tape backup utility (Joerg Weule)

From: addinall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Why do FTP downloads stall under RH6.2 linux
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:00:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Joe Mazz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Platform: RedHat 6.2 patched to kernel 2.2.14-6.0.1, using Earthlink
as
> my ISP for PPP dial-up
> with a 56K PCI  modem made by Actiontec.
>
> Problem: Access to Web pages via Netscape 4.72 and interactive login
> sessions via telnet work fine, with
> transfer speed typically near the maximum throughput reported as by
the
> RH Network Monitor in GNOME.
> The problem is when I try to download files via FTP,  especially large
> binaries (*.rpm or *.gz).
> After a few hundred kilobytes, the FTP simply stalls. If it picks up
> again at all, it is typically at very slow bps,
> and then it crawls along between successive stalls. This happens
whether
> I use Netscape (Save link as...),
> an ftp session started on the command-line, or even using the
excellent
> program  'wget' (e.g., 'wget ftp://whatever...').

I hope someone posts an answer because I have exactly the same
problem.  My web browser (netscape) stalls more than 50%
of the time downloading mail, news or other web pages.  A repitition
of 'reload, reload, reload, reload generally gets it, but it
is frustrating.  Again, the Windows or Mac boxes connected
do not show this problem %-?

Luck,
Mark.

From: Gareth Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: removing Gome panel
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:16:06 +0100

Ed Hurst wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Ed wrote:
It's simpler to shut Gnome down and run
> Enlightenment alone. You will still have access to all Gnome and KDE
> utilities, due to Enlightenment's built-in compatibility.
>
> Ed

Er... Red Hat doesn't like "pure" enlightenment.  I tried it and almost
crashed my machine.  I wrote to RH2's support team and they confirmed
that, as far as RH2 was concerned, Enlightenment will only run within
Gnome and not as a standalone session manager.
Unless they were lying...:-)
--
Greetings from Queen Maud Land

Gareth Williams, Penguophile

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:19:57 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > More words of wisdom from another free-loader (GNUed-GPLed humanoid using
> > freenet.)
>
> OOOO! Another unfounded insult from the clueless Mr Fish...
> Care to enlighten us all on how much money I spand on internet access a
> month then, seeing as you know it all?

No. Just returning the flavour. ;-)

How much you spend on net access? Who cares!?

freenet is free. Right?

It's not how much you have to spend that matters. It's not the case.

> While you're at it, tell me how much I spent to get this Linux distro.

Who cares?

I paid US$40.00 for my dvd version.

> > What difference does it made?  It's just to illustrate a point.
>
> What point would that be? That you don't know how to make a valid argument?

Only to the madden geek like you.

> > To the average real human beings at large. Source code is as readable as what I've
> > put up here. ;-)
>
> Balls.
> Never heard of the /*comment*/?
> All good source code has it.
> Even if they can't understand what the code itself does, the comments will
> explain it.

Sure. More geek's talks. Let's face it. Geeks don't know how to communicate to
real people.
> |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
> |            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
> |     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

BTW. How's Rachel? Did you have a wonderful and romantic weekend with her!? :P
--
- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture:-Version
2.4-pre-release99999-test-1234567.pre-beta5000.)
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSzzzzz!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female deer.)
RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A needle
pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That will bring
us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh.

------------------------------

From: "Andy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: masquerading
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:22:56 +0200

It works.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: public NNTP servers?
Date: 14 Aug 2000 18:26:32 GMT

Hi, I'm looking for some nttp news servers to point tin -r at,
does anyone have any reccomendations?

Is there a simple way to configure tin such that I can read from
mutliple newsgroups?  Will I need multiple versions of .newsrc?

Thanks
~

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:37:36 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > Andrew Halliwell writes:
> >> Never heard of the /*comment*/?  All good source code has it.  Even if
> >> they can't understand what the code itself does, the comments will
> >> explain it.
>
> > Good comments don't tell you what the code does, they tell you why it does
> > it.
>
> Granted. But it's still can be understandable to those not technically
> minded. Cartainly more than one of Blows Hex Dumps.
>
> :)

Granted.  At least this "Blows Hex Dumps" don't have to blows up Rachel...
Hehehe... :P~

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

Hey. Don't forget to patch up Rachel now after your wild weekend of orgies with
her.  Hehehe....
> |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
> |            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
> |     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |
Pinky!?  Hi, Fruitcake... You control...? "We are the champion. We are the
champion..." S&M now? :-0
--
[...]
 (c)Copyrighted by Alex / blowfish-2000. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.sco.misc
Subject: Re: Caldera and SCO, was Linux on AMD
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:45:31 -0400

blowfish wrote:

> Don't bet too much on Caldera. It's broke, and probably will drag SCO down with
> it.

I doubt that SCO (as an OS, not necessarily the company)
needs any assistance in reaching its own demise, at least on
the OSR5 side anyway :-)

Seriously, I doubt Caldera has any more (and probably less)
intention than SCO had of keeping OSR5 going very long
anyway.  Unixware may be a different story, but I'm not 100%
convinced that even that can stand the onslaught of Linux
forever (forever as a technical computer term  meaning 5
years or so).  OSR5 is, of course, a tremendous revenue
stream, but the structure of the deal has that revenue going
to SCO, so I don't see where Caldera has any incentive
anyway.  Not that they'll kill it; but I bet it just fades
away into the sunset..

One things for sure- this sale is NOT going to help quell
the apprehensions of current OSR5 customers and app vendors
who have been wondering whether to move to NT/Linux/Unixware
or whatever- this sale increases the FUD by several hundred
percent and will no doubt help that sunset into fast-forward
mode.

However, I think the purchase could mean very good things
for Caldera- they pick up a lot of engineering talent, and
of course source code for things Linux currently doesn't
have - though who knows how much of that can be turned into
Open Source- much of it may be entangled by existing
licenses and contracts, and the agreement of sale also says
something about SCO maintaining its "intellectual property"-
if that's source they've developed then what value is it to
Caldera?  I dunno- and yet somebody from Caldera made some
noise to the effect that OSR5 source would be available-
maybe talking through his hat or mis-quoted; we'll see.

One thing that's supposedly important is SCO's large network
of dealers and distributors, but, as one very small part of
that network, I can tell you that now that SCO is sold,
those of us who had been moving toward Linux anyway are just
going to move that much faster, and there's no compelling
reason for us to pay any more attention to Caldera than
anyone else- UNLESS they do something that makes the
transition for our existing customers easier- but it's
already pretty darn easy so I'm not sure that's a big
benefit anyway.

As to being broken, I have had contrary and in fact quite
complimentary reports from other folks, and some industry
mags seem to think that RH and Caldera are the ones to bet
on, so I'm at least going to give it a whirl- S'ok if you
are right, though, cause I've got more than one box here and
can play with it thoroughly before I go live :-)

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: "Ilariu Raducan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Midnight commander and rpm packages browsing problems
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:41:03 +0100

You need to install a rpm package named rpm-utils or something like that.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CD-ROM mounts to device hda...why?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:49:18 GMT

It seems my CD-ROM is mounting to device hda and I'm wondering why.

In my /dev directory I have a linker file called "cdrom" which points to
hda.  So it seems Linux (RH 6.2) is treating my CD-ROM as a hard drive
which is not what I would expect.  I would think it would map to cdu31a
or something.  Is it because it's a IDE device?

Any clues appreciated.

--
*** Do not respond via e-mail as I do not check this account ***

From: "Jeff Muse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: converting win partition to Linux...safely?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:29:01 -0700

You can use the mke2fs command to reformat your Win partition to ext2. There
are quite a few flags for this command, so you might want to look at the man
pages to figure out which ones you want.

If you want to automount the new partition, or define an automatic mount
point, you can edit /etc/fstab. /etc/mtab just lists the currently mounted
devices, so you can leave it alone.

news:8n7fdt$aa0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: networking two computers using ppp and serial connections
Date: 14 Aug 2000 18:53:21 GMT

I heard you can network two computers by using a serial cable and
running PPP.  Has anyone done this?  Can you point me to documentation
and/or briefly explain the hardware and configuration steps I'll need
to get it running?  How's the performance?

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-ROM mounts to device hda...why?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:16:11 -0400

Well, a cdrom is accessed through the appropriate interface .
for ide , it would be hdxy
for scsi it is sdxy ( I think )

If /dev/cdrom is linked to /dev/hda,  then your cdrom is being seen as a
primary master device on your computer .  Did you boot off the cdrom ?

What you need to do :
set the boot hdd as master, by changing the jumpers.  Then set the cdrom to
slave. This is assuming that you have both of them on the same cable.
Then check if the cable with the hdd is plugged into the ide0 connector on
the
mainboard.  If your ide connectors are labled ide 1 ide2, use ide 1 for the
cable  with the hdd.
Then just relink cdrom to appropritate device entry.

hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:18:58 GMT

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:06:45 -0700, blowfish
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Do you think Linux distro like Redhat really any better than Windoz?

Why are you here, instead of one of the advocacy groups where this crap
belongs?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:23:29 -0400

Peter Bismuti wrote:

> I heard you can network two computers by using a serial cable and
> running PPP.  Has anyone done this?  Can you point me to documentation
> and/or briefly explain the hardware and configuration steps I'll need
> to get it running?  How's the performance?

Well, gee, you could, but with NICS and hubs so inexpensive,
why would you?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Subject: Re: Passing command to Telnet with a text file
Date: 14 Aug 2000 19:26:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Richard Lewis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Is it possible to pass a series of commands to a telnet session from a
: text file? eg. using a command like "telnet <commands.txt", where
: commands.txt would consist of a series of commands.
:
One way is to use a Telnet client that has its own built-in scripting
language for automation, such as C-Kermit:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

This has certain advantages over the Telnet/Expect combination which seems
to be the popular knee-jerk reaction to this question:

 . If Expect is used to drive Telnet or Rlogin, it can't tell the
   difference between local and remote text.

 . Kermit knows whether each command succeeded or failed -- not just
   INPUT ("expect"), but every command -- and can take any desired action
   depending on the success or failure of each command.

 . Expect has no access to the connection itself and so can't tell
   if it's up or down, what state it's in, etc.  For example, on a
   serial connection, Kermit can check for specific modem signals.

 . Expect can't transfer files.

 . Kermit runs on a wider variety of platforms than expect.

Look here:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckscripts.html

for sample Kermit scripts.  In particular see "autotelnet" in the Internet
scripts section.

- Frank

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 12:32:36 -0700

Tony Lawrence wrote:

> blowfish wrote:
>
> > Don't bet too much on Caldera. It's broke, and probably will drag SCO down with
> > it.
>
> I doubt that SCO (as an OS, not necessarily the company)
> needs any assistance in reaching its own demise, at least on
> the OSR5 side anyway :-)
>
> Seriously, I doubt Caldera has any more (and probably less)
> intention than SCO had of keeping OSR5 going very long
> anyway.  Unixware may be a different story, but I'm not 100%
> convinced that even that can stand the onslaught of Linux
> forever (forever as a technical computer term  meaning 5
> years or so).  OSR5 is, of course, a tremendous revenue
> stream, but the structure of the deal has that revenue going
> to SCO, so I don't see where Caldera has any incentive
> anyway.  Not that they'll kill it; but I bet it just fades
> away into the sunset..

5 years in computer term is like 50 years in human years.
I think it's just a process of elimination of the competitions.
 :-)
> One things for sure- this sale is NOT going to help quell
> the apprehensions of current OSR5 customers and app vendors
> who have been wondering whether to move to NT/Linux/Unixware
> or whatever- this sale increases the FUD by several hundred
> percent and will no doubt help that sunset into fast-forward
> mode.

Agree. Innovative ideas are worthless until they can be proven to be profitable in
the real world.

> However, I think the purchase could mean very good things
> for Caldera- they pick up a lot of engineering talent, and
> of course source code for things Linux currently doesn't
> have - though who knows how much of that can be turned into
> Open Source- much of it may be entangled by existing
> licenses and contracts, and the agreement of sale also says
> something about SCO maintaining its "intellectual property"-
> if that's source they've developed then what value is it to
> Caldera?  I dunno- and yet somebody from Caldera made some
> noise to the effect that OSR5 source would be available-
> maybe talking through his hat or mis-quoted; we'll see.

That's for sure. SCO has a lot of good engineers working there.
And has been around, and being accepted by the mainstreams for a long time.

Propietary codes should not matter, as long as they're opensource. I have no
problwm with the way *BSD are doing at all.

In fact. I don'teven believe in GPL everything.

GPL is against the whole idea of a truely free market.

In the real world.  What you see (from the press release) is not what you get (as
in from the Wall Street, where the ultimate outcome of the deal will be asserted
from.) ;-)

> One thing that's supposedly important is SCO's large network
> of dealers and distributors, but, as one very small part of
> that network, I can tell you that now that SCO is sold,
> those of us who had been moving toward Linux anyway are just
> going to move that much faster, and there's no compelling
> reason for us to pay any more attention to Caldera than
> anyone else- UNLESS they do something that makes the
> transition for our existing customers easier- but it's
> already pretty darn easy so I'm not sure that's a big
> benefit anyway.

Only time can tell.

> As to being broken, I have had contrary and in fact quite
> complimentary reports from other folks, and some industry
> mags seem to think that RH and Caldera are the ones to bet
> on, so I'm at least going to give it a whirl- S'ok if you
> are right, though, cause I've got more than one box here and
> can play with it thoroughly before I go live :-)

The industry's mag 's sayings is one thing. But I talked to a few who control the
vc money say otherwise.

There're more than what meets the eyes. There're more and more signs that RH is
moving into embedded appliances, and moving away from Linux OS.

Yes, I have a couple extra boxes just for that purpose too. ;-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Schweitzer)
Date: 14 Aug 2000 19:37:29 GMT

In article <8n9f71$37q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Bismuti wrote:

>I heard you can network two computers by using a serial cable and
>running PPP.  Has anyone done this?

Yes, me.

>Can you point me to documentation
>and/or briefly explain the hardware and configuration steps I'll need
>to get it running?

It's in the PPP-HOWTO. IIRC, one of the last chapters.

>How's the performance?

IIRC, I got about 10kB/sec. But I didn't tune that
at all. Look into the serial-Howto and the man
page to setserial.

Andreas

--
                       Andreas Schweitzer