From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: How to uninstall tar.gz's
Date: 2 Dec 2000 17:47:54 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Efflandt wrote:
> And a well written program will also have 'make uninstall' to remove the
> files it installed outside of the install dir (binaries, manpages, etc.).

Some common programs just punt, though.  The GCC documentation says:

:    Please note that GCC does not support `make uninstall` and probably
:    won't do so in the near future as this would open a can of worms.
:    Instead, we suggest that you install GCC into a directory of its own
:    and simply remove that directory when you do not need that specific
:    version of GCC any longer.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: "Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Is Sendmail working?
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:00:54 GMT

I am new to Linux and had a question about sendmail.  I am running RH Linux
6.2 and did a custom complete install.  When my system boots up I see the
"Sendmail" service start up as [OK].  I have a domain name (mydomain.com)
and an MX record in a DNS server.  I can receive mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
can send e-mail out to anyone I want.  Does this mean that "Sendmail" is
working?

If so, how would I pull my mail down via POP3 from another system over the
Internet?  Thanks for your help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: Simon Kristensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Is Sendmail working?
Date: 03 Dec 2000 00:09:28 +0100

"Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am new to Linux and had a question about sendmail.  I am running RH Linux
> 6.2 and did a custom complete install.  When my system boots up I see the
> "Sendmail" service start up as [OK].  I have a domain name (mydomain.com)
> and an MX record in a DNS server.  I can receive mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
> can send e-mail out to anyone I want.  Does this mean that "Sendmail" is
> working?

It would certainly appear to work.

> If so, how would I pull my mail down via POP3 from another system over the
> Internet?  Thanks for your help.

fetchmail is your friend. It can be configured to do just that in
absolutely no time.

HTH

Simon

--
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who
make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the

------------------------------

From: PoD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Splitting WAV-Files automatically
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 09:44:54 +1030

Stefan Bauch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there is a tool to cut WAV-Files at breaks
> automatically,
> so that I can record a complete LP or audio-cassette and then splitt it
> up
> without recording each single track (for conversion to MP3's...)
>
> Any hints would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Stefan

you could try gramofile http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/gramofile/
I haven't tried it but it looks cool.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Luis_Domingo_L=F3pez?=)
Subject: Re: email security
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:34:03 +0000

El día Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:43:41 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:
> I am making a presentation on open source email security. The scope of
> the presentation is overview of how email works and security risks and
> prevention. Now i need some material like case studies, graphs,
> statistics, email server usage statistics, some diagrams etc. on email
> security. Can anybody help me?
>
> thanks
> kapil

If you really want to impress your audience on how insecure email is,
consider making a tipical demonstration about reading others email and
getting their POP accounts username/passwords. As simple as download a
sniffer, like sniffit or ethereal (graphical), and start a session where
someone, in another PC in the sme LAN, tries to download his mail.

When the audience sees the username/password and mail contents appear on
your screen I'm sure they will pay more attention.

--
José Luis Domingo López
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian GNU/Linux Potato (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo EN internautas PUNTO org  => ¿ Spam ? Atente a las consecuencias
jdomingo AT internautas DOT   org  => Spam at your own risk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 2 Dec 2000 23:16:40 GMT

[NGs trimmed]

Don't post to so many NGs; pick the most appropriate 1-3 and just post
there.

On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:00:54 GMT, Lamar Thomas wrote:
>When my system boots up I see the "Sendmail" service start up as [OK].
>I have a domain name (mydomain.com) and an MX record in a DNS server.
>I can receive mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and can send e-mail out to anyone
>I want.  Does this mean that "Sendmail" is working?

Yes.  Go to http://sendmail.org/ for tips on configuring sendmail.cf and
make sure you're not running an open relay or something equally bad.

>If so, how would I pull my mail down via POP3 from another system over the
>Internet?  Thanks for your help.

fetchmail if you just want to fetch the mail to your local mail spool,
or any standard E-mail client (mutt, pine, Kmail, Evolution, Netscape)
if you want to read the mail "normally".  Just point either program at
the POP3 server in question.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 23:26:56 GMT

Does that mean that SMTP is working too.  Or does Sendmail NOT use SMTP?
(I am from a Microsoft Exchange background).

Lamar

*******************************

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "busware" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with printtool
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:43:03 -0500

hello,
this one might be obvious. but i still need your collective input.
i setup a smb or remote printer using printtool. the setup looks correct due
to the fact
that i have successfully done this part before. this difference this time is
i have an nec superscript 870 laser printer. when i send a test print from
printtool it prints a page once and never again unless i delete the printer
entry and redo the setup.
of course the nec870 is not one of the choises of printers offered by
printtool.

when it prints the original test page the output says something like add
CR-LF/CR.
this occurs when i selected "text printer" as the driver.

if i select "postscript printer" then the output is also weird.

i have rh6.2 linux as the server and the printer is connected to a win98
client.

thank you,
kenny.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 00:42:08 +0100

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you really want to impress your audience on how insecure email is,
> consider making a tipical demonstration about reading others email and
> getting their POP accounts username/passwords. As simple as download a
> sniffer, like sniffit or ethereal (graphical), and start a session where
> someone, in another PC in the sme LAN, tries to download his mail.

I've tried precisely this ...

> When the audience sees the username/password and mail contents appear on
> your screen I'm sure they will pay more attention.

 ... and they weren't impressed. They didn't understand what passwords
were or what they signified.

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome and KDE
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 00:11:51 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Robert Kiesling"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I don't think there's a much easier-to-understand conceptual model
> around than client/server.

Maybe. But I'm not sure that the way X is implemented is that easy for
a newcomer to understand.

> I'd rather take the trouble to get it right the first time.  I hate
> having people come back around and claim I mislead them.

In almost 20 years of giving people models that are geared to what I
perceive as their level of skill/knowledge, I can't recall ever being
told that I misled someone. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe it's just
that they've avoided me ever since... :o)
Anyway, each to his own.

--
Garry Knight

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 00:11:52 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Grigory Klyuchnikov"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> For RPM's I know how to unistall. But for *.tar.gz packages how can
>> you completely eradicate them without having to hunt for all the
>> various files that have been installed all over the place?
[...]
> Now you can see Makefiles of each tar.gz packages you installed and
> find all dirs where files of the package are located and delete them
> by hands

Or, if you're lucky, 'make uninstall' might work if the author
implemented it.

--
Garry Knight

From: Ron Grigg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Backup Hard Drive...
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:36:42 -0600

Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On 1 Dec 2000 12:56:45 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Volker Apelt) wrote:
>
> >You know that backup is more than just having a second
> >copy of everything? good backup software maintains an
> >archive, too.
> >
> Any recommendations for archiving backup software for Linux?
>
> FWIW I went the DAT tape route with a SCSI HP DDS2 drive, and am
> currently making backups up via a script and tar. A stopgap until I
> find or write something better.
>
> --
> gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
> @logica   | Logica Ltd
> com       | +44 020 76379111

You can always try the old tried and true dump/restore.   The dump backs
up
on the inode level which means it will get everything on the partition
including
files that are under a mounted partition and doesn't follow the mounts.
You
have to back up each partition separtely to get it all (i.e. /dev/hda1,
hda5, hda6,
etc.) or you can just select the partitions you want without unmounting
anything.
The restore allows you to do selective (by file basis) restorations
which is good
if you only want a single file or directory structure.  Permissions and
user/group
ownership are kept as well.  The Linux version that I've used is a BSD
port but
it works fine for me.  Downside is that it only works with Ext2fs
filesystemsso
far.  (Won't do DOS;-).  Including dump.lsm below.

Begin3
Title:          dump and restore for Ext2fs
Version:        0.4b20
Entered-date:   10NOV00
Author:         University of California, Berkeley
Maintained-by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stelian Pop)
Primary-site:   http://dump.sourceforge.net/
                135kB dump-0.4b20.tar.gz
                677 dump.lsm
                dump/*
                restore/*
Platforms:      linux 2.0.x, linux 2.2.x, e2fsprogs 1.14
Copying-policy: BSD
End

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 19:36:29 -0500
Subject: Re: E-mail client

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 12/02/00
   at 03:56 PM, Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>> Is this just Unix/Linux wisdom (or common sense), or could I have found it
>> in a HOWTO or man page somewhere? Within limits of time I have, I had done
>> some perusing but without result.

>There are some FAQ's listed in the Linux FAQ, at the URL below (the one
>on the left) that provide Internet-compliant information.  Most former
>DOS users don't have even a tiny conception of the flexibility of e-mail
>software, or where to look for detailed information. They'll provide a
>nice overview.

Another thanks. Asking questions is great, doing some research is better.
I'll have a look.

F.

     Felmon John Davis
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     os/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:10:07 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: looking for video capture card for linux

hi

i'm looking for a good video card with an onboard tv tuner and that can
do decent video capture. (video capture must be preferably done at
352x288 or higher resolution captured at at least 24fps). A big plus
would be if the card could do real time mpeg compression (i dont even
know if there are cards that can do this).

i currently have an ATI card, but there's almost no support for the tv
tuner in linux.

any recommendations would be appreciated. please feel free to specify as
much detail about the card as u'd like or just leave a URL i can visit
to get more info :)

thanks
ali

------------------------------

From: "HOMZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: boot disk?  Re: How should I install Linux and Win2K (dual boot)
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 00:48:15 GMT

I'm having problems getting back into my LINUX partition.  I do have a boot
disk that came with my package, but it's only purpose is to send you to the
CD-rom drive incase it is not bootable.  I tried to use it without a CD and
it just freezes indefinately, and with the CD, it only wants to "install".
Is there another, better "boot disk" I can use when I want to boot into my
LINUX partition?  Is there a way I can make one in Windows when I can't
access LINUX at all?  Or maybe I can download somewhere?
I'm currently downloading explore2fs from
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm to see if it helps me
at all.

Thank you,
Kim

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Subject: Re: help with printtool
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 00:52:42 GMT

"busware" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hello,
> this one might be obvious. but i still need your collective input.
> i setup a smb or remote printer using printtool. the setup looks correct due
> to the fact
> that i have successfully done this part before. this difference this time is
> i have an nec superscript 870 laser printer. when i send a test print from
> printtool it prints a page once and never again unless i delete the printer
> entry and redo the setup.
> of course the nec870 is not one of the choises of printers offered by
> printtool.
>
> when it prints the original test page the output says something like add
> CR-LF/CR.
> this occurs when i selected "text printer" as the driver.
>
> if i select "postscript printer" then the output is also weird.
>
> i have rh6.2 linux as the server and the printer is connected to a win98
> client.
>
> thank you,
> kenny.

Try enable the option 'fix stair-stepping text' or possibly 'Send
EOF'. Actually I am using 'Webmin' instead of 'printtool' to do this
but that is just a different frontend.

--
Prasanth Kumar