From: "Jason" <Jason(AT)cyborgworkshop.com>
Subject: Re: problem with laptop.
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:13:26 -0500

I have this problem on my laptop when it goes to sleep like that and when I
switch from  X to a console.  The best I have been able to figure is that it
has something to do with resyncing the LCD after it has been switched e.g.
blanked.  My only work around has been to just get out of X when Im not at
the machine and to disable console blanking for my terminals.  Good Luck

--
                         Jason
          www.cyborgworkshop.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Booting to /dev/sda2
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:15:08 GMT

Guys,

I've seen many posts regarding booting with LILO and only getting 'LI'.

Well, I've tried all the suggestions I've seen with no luck.  Here's my
setup:

/dev/hda1 = NTFS
/dev/hda2 = WIN98
/dev/sda2 = Linux

/dev/hda1 and /dev/sda2 both have the boot flag set.  I am
running bootpart for the NT OS Loader (to get Win98 bootable) and am
also using it to boot to Linux.  This is where the weird stuff comes in.
First, let me say that I have /etc/lilo.conf set up very simply.  No
linear/disk/bios options.  boot and root are both set to /dev/sda2.

Here's what happens.  When I change my BIOS to boot to the SCSI disk
first, I get the full 'LILO'.  I can hit the shift key and see my
kernel, but when I press return, I get "Unexpected EOF" scrolling down
my screen.  (Hmm.)  When I tell my BIOS to boot to IDE-0 (/dev/hda), I
get only 'LI' and nothing else.

I've tried adding disk and bios options with no luck.  I'm gathering you
can't just put anything in for bios.  How do you determine what value
goes in there.  I have 3 IDE disks and 1 SCSI disk, so, being the 4th
drive in the system, should I say 'bios=0x83'?

Even when I use /dev/hda (the MBR), I only get 'LI'.  So, to me, it
seems that the problem is when LILO attempts to get secondary boot
information (if that's the correct terminology).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

-rd

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Greenwood)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Problem With /bin/login Behavior
Date: 16 Aug 2000 00:59:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Mark T. Dame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>We have a large number of users with automated login scripts.  The
>scripts start off with three carriage returns.  This causes the user to
>get three "Login incorrect" messages before they log in.  In addition to
>the multitude of clueless users who think that this means there's a
>problem, there are times (on slower connections) where the word "Login"
>triggers the next part of the script resulting in real problems.
>
>Since it's completely impractical to replace all of the users' login
>scripts, I need to get rid of the "Login incorrect" message.

There's always brute force ... grab the source for your telnetd, grep
through it all for the "Login incorrect" string, and get rid of it.

I hope someone can think of something more elegant, though.

        Peter Greenwood         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: ian holsman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Oh !@# I just wiped my RPM database
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:29:48 GMT

I was upgrading to rpm 4, and I fried my existing rpm database
any easy ways to recover this?

From: Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Move /var
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:08:34 -0400

Dear  all:

I would like to create a seperate partition for var for my exsiting
system. What is the right way to do it?

Thanks.

Alex.

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
http://www.seti.org/

Registered with the Linux Counter. ID# 175126
http://counter.li.org/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (nobdy)
Subject: Debian Package System
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:30:53 GMT

To all who use debian:

I've pretty much used redhat-based systems and I'm pretty familiar
with rpm and so on.  Basically I want to know about dpkg and apt-get
and options like apt-get upgrade and apt-get distupdate/disupgrade ...
I'm not sure of the exact command.

I've read up on these commands and It seems that these make a system
easy to maintain and upgrade.... and I mean the whole system.  If this
is the case, I'm truly interested in trying debian out.  I'm familiar
with unix so I'm not shy about trying new things.

Basically I want a rundown from you debian types about the advantages
and uniqueness of the debian package system (apt-get, dpkg,
distupgrade etc...) so that I can make an informed decision.  I've
read the websites... I've read the technical manuals and I'm more
interested in your opinions, not links to how-to sites.

Thanks

n0b0dy

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:32:34 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > No. You Dickwart,
>
> > Without having to finance the freenet.  They'll have a lot more revenue left for
> > other things.
>
> Who would?

Your telco.

> Let's parse that sentence more closely...

Okay...

>> If freenet didn't have to finance freenet, they'd have more revenue left for
> other things...
>
> Nope... Sorry, doesn't make any sense what so ever. If they didn't finance
> themselves, they wouldn't have any money. And they get their money from ME,
> and fellow customers.

They could use the money on DSL, or other broadband. You got to pay for regular
tele services anyway.
So, freenet is just an extra hindrance, liability for the telco.

I'm sure your telco will go bankrupt without YOURS business. ;-)

> You really are as thick as pig shit!

Maybe you're just thick as a brick!?

> > I'm just a whimpy everyday normal human being.  Neither a superset, nor a
> > subset of anything. :-)
>
> Yup, as suspected, you are as thick as pigshit...
> You don't even understand elementary set theory... You know Venn diagrams?
> (We did that in junior school)

No. I don't need any prasing programme, or any diagram to tell me who I am. You
can take all your theories and stick them up your butt. Because I am real, not
some kind of diagram, program, or theory.

Yeah.  That's exactly your problem. You're just a theory. Afterall. A theory is
just a theory. It ain't real!

> |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
> |                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
> |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
> |            in            |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
> |     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |

- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture:-Version
2.4-pre-release99999-test-1234567.pre-beta5000.)
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSzzzzz!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female deer.)
RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A needle
pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That will bring
us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:34:08 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > I comprehend human languages with my brain, without needing any help from any
> > parsing program.
>
> No you don't. Either that or you're deliberately misreading everythig I type
> in plain english.
>
> I was calling YOU the parsing program... And a third rate one at that.
> That's one of the functions of a "bot".

Okay. Whatever. You're unreal. You're just a theory afterall.

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FWD: SuSE and TurboLinux Join Growing List of Linux Java Technology
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:24:17 -0700

====================================fwd=============
 Aug 16th, 01:43 UTC
SuSE and TurboLinux Join Growing List of Linux Java Technology Distributors
SAN JOSE -- LinuxWorld -- August 15, 2000 -- Sun Microsystems, Inc. today
announced expanded distribution for the Java 2 platform on the Linux operating
system through agreements with SuSE and TurboLinux. These agreements further
extend Java technology's reach across all major operating environments as the de
facto standard for enterprise application development and deployment. Linux is one
of numerous operating systems that support the Java 2 platform, including those
from Sun, IBM, Compaq, HP, Microsoft, Apple, Novell, SGI, SCO, BSDi and BE.

http://linuxpr.com/releases/2384.html
====================================
--
[...]
  (c)Copy Righted by Alex /blowfish. -2000. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FWD: Does the GPL have any teeth?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:31:08 -0700

http://www.advogato.org/article/148.html
==============================
--
- blowfish.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Move /var
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 05:38:04 GMT

Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Dear  all:
>
> I would like to create a seperate partition for var for my exsiting
> system. What is the right way to do it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alex.
<snip>
You probably don't want to do this in the normal boot level
particularly if you get lots of email or other transitory
data. Instead...

The safe way to do this would be to boot into single mode, format the
new var partition, copy the data over (perhaps cp -aR) then modify
fstab to add the additional partition, rename the old var directory
and finally reboot.

--
Prasanth Kumar

From: "Dave Stanton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting to /dev/sda2
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 06:42:19 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8nd0ve$f0m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Guys,
>
> I've seen many posts regarding booting with LILO and only getting 'LI'.
>
> Well, I've tried all the suggestions I've seen with no luck.  Here's my
> setup:
>
> /dev/hda1 = NTFS
> /dev/hda2 = WIN98
> /dev/sda2 = Linux
>
> /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda2 both have the boot flag set.  I am
> running bootpart for the NT OS Loader (to get Win98 bootable) and am
> also using it to boot to Linux.  This is where the weird stuff comes in.
> First, let me say that I have /etc/lilo.conf set up very simply.  No
> linear/disk/bios options.  boot and root are both set to /dev/sda2.
>
> Here's what happens.  When I change my BIOS to boot to the SCSI disk
> first, I get the full 'LILO'.  I can hit the shift key and see my
> kernel, but when I press return, I get "Unexpected EOF" scrolling down
> my screen.  (Hmm.)  When I tell my BIOS to boot to IDE-0 (/dev/hda), I
> get only 'LI' and nothing else.
>
> I've tried adding disk and bios options with no luck.  I'm gathering you
> can't just put anything in for bios.  How do you determine what value
> goes in there.  I have 3 IDE disks and 1 SCSI disk, so, being the 4th
> drive in the system, should I say 'bios=0x83'?
>
> Even when I use /dev/hda (the MBR), I only get 'LI'.  So, to me, it
> seems that the problem is when LILO attempts to get secondary boot
> information (if that's the correct terminology).
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -rd

Just a thought, when I went to booting from scsi I turned off all ide drives
in the bios, ie the bios thinks it has no ide drives, linux does not need
the bios to find ide drives. I did this so that I did not need to alter
lilo. It might be worth a try for you. NOTE: all my drives , 2 ide, 1 scsi
were extfs2 systems.

Cheers

Dave

------------------------------

From: "Brian Kirkby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Notes From The Cathedral #2
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:48:27 -0600

Open Source Software is MORE Feature Rich?

check it out:
http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=143376

------------------------------

From: Joe Mazz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: kernel 2.2.16-3 'make bzImage' compile error in
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 06:09:43 GMT

I am running Redhat 6.2 linux (kernel 2.2.14) and encountered a problem
while trying to patch it to 2.2.16-3,
following instructions at
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2000-037-05.html and
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/kernel-upgrade/.

First I updated RPM itself as instructed on the Redhat site via:
   rpm -Fvh rpm-3.0.5-9.6x.i386.rpm
Then I downloaded the RPMs and unpacked them:
   rpm -Uvh kernel-headers-2.2.16-3.i386.rpm
kernel-source-2.2.16-3.i386.rpm
   rpm -ivh kernel-2.2.16-3.i386.rpm kernel-ibcs-2.2.16-3.i386.rpm
kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.16-3.i386.rpm
Man page conflicts with the previous kernel-pcmcia package required:
   rpm -ivh --force kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.16-3.i386.rpm
Then after 'cd   /usr/src/linux-2.2.16' I find:
#make xconfig     -- OK
#make dep            -- OK
#make clean         -- OK
#make bzImage   -- *** PROBLEM!!! ***:
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
scripts/split-include
scripts/split-include.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
                 from scripts/split-include.c:26:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1

Therefore I seem to have the same error reported by  H.T. Leung on
linux.sources.kernel.
A solution offered  by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  "By simply making the symlink from /usr/src/linux-2.2.16 to
/usr/src/linux, you will resolve this."
does not work for me.  The RPM source code installation had already
moved the softlink
to point to the new source directory tree, as you can see here:
    #ls -l /usr/src
    total 12
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           12 Aug 13 21:25 linux ->
linux-2.2.16
    drwxr-xr-x    8 root     root         4096 Aug 13 21:26 linux-2.2.14

    drwxr-xr-x   18 root     root         4096 Aug 13 22:15 linux-2.2.16

    drwxr-xr-x    7 root     root         4096 Jul 22 05:04 redhat
but I still get this errno.h compile error.

I suspect that another critical softlink is missing that got zapped
during the process.
Surely other folks have encountered this same problem...
Would someone please kindly post a complete solution for this
compilation error? Thanks.

-Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Subject: Re: apache and homepage
Date: 16 Aug 2000 03:41:57 GMT

>I have compiled apache and now I can't find where it is storing it's
>pages.  It used to be /home/httpd/html but when I renamed the
>index.html file the page still shows up.  I need to know if there is a
>file that I can look in to see where it is storing it's index.html
>page.

Most likely /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/

Frinky

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: Allowing all users to access and write to a partition
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 00:59:00 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, "loco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spake unto us, saying:

>After reading this thread..... and the man page, it comes to my clear
>view that most linux users are fucking brainless twits who have no real
>desire to prove their OS's superiority, but rather their own.

Some of us *do* try to be helpful, but only find time to participate on
Usenet in spurts.  It's unfortunate that helpful responses haven't been
sent your way thusfar, but that can vary depending on the nature of the
question and the number of people who actually know the answer.

These newsgroups are a volunteer effort, as is Linux itself.  We aren't
paid to be here.

>I wonder how many of you worthless bastards learned Linux totally on
>their own?

I played with SLS Linux 1.01 (which I grabbed from a local BBS) back in
1992 with only a DOS, Windows, Apple DOS/ProDOS, KRONOS, OS2200, MacOS,
and VMS background (none of those are UNIX-like except perhaps DOS if
you want to stretch), and without knowing anyone who knew UNIX.

Of course, I had a BSCS at that point, but not a UNIX background.  My
coursework was all done on Sperry/Univac 1100-series big iron or VAXen.

>I have read the man page, and my drive STILL will not load in read/write
>mode because the man page is written for PROGRAMMERS and not for LAY
>PEOPLE.

In my opinion, most nontechnical users would be in over their heads at
this point in time if they tried to play with a Linux installation, so
I generally don't recommend it.

You've chosen to swim in deeper waters, which is to your credit, but
there are elements of "learning to swim" that IMO must come from your
own experience, not our hand-holding.

The information is out there.  Learn to use DejaNews and other search
engines, please.  And have patience -- sooner or later someone will
probably take the time to answer your questions.

I don't permit FAT32 on my home LAN, so I know nothing about it myself.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.network,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!!
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:10:06 -0400

                    From:   Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
               Newsgroups:  comp.os.linux.misc,,
comp.os.linux.network, alt.linux,
                            linux.rehat.install, comp.programming
                  Subject:  Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!!
                     Date:  Mon, 14 Aug 2000 01:30:00 GMT

Please note the values for
- NNTP-Posting-Host
- X-Complaints-To
- X-Trace
- Organization

Btw: 24.27.43.68 resolves to cs2743-68.austin.rr.com

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Garman)
Subject: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 06:52:09 GMT

Are there any good trackers for Linux?  By tracker I mean the software
with which you can *create* MOD files (or S3M, XM, etc).  DOS examples are
Impulse Tracker and FastTracker.

I believe Impulse Tracker is being ported to Linux, but it's KDE only.  I
don't feel like installing KDE just for a tracker.

That in mind, has anyone had any luck getting ImpulseTracker or
FastTracker (or any of the known good trackers for DOS) to work under
DOSemu?

Thanks,
MG

--
Matt Garman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I may make you feel, but I can't make you think."