  Re: Color Printing Quality (Dances With Crows)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (I R A Darth Aggie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: testing nvidia 0.9-5 drivers
Date: 4 Dec 2000 02:02:13 GMT

On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 23:40:43 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
+ I have the latest nvidia 0.9-5 tnt2 drivers loaded and XFree86-4.0.1
+ seems to be running. I am running Mandraxe 7.2 and the install wasn't
+ too bad.
+
+ What are some good ways to test 3D effects, GL support, and hardware
+ acceleration for video cards / drivers in X?

SSystem: <url:http://www.wam.umd.edu/~kamelkev/>

Quake 3 Arena... :)

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Setting up ftp server
Date: 4 Dec 2000 02:11:50 GMT

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 01:30:07 -0000,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I have linux-mandrake 7.2 complete and I am trying to setup a ftp server.
>I installed wuftp but it does not work.  I tested with ftp 127.0.0.1 and
>get the  message Connection refused.
>
>With a previous version of redhat 6.1, I had no problems after installing
>wuftp.  What am I missing?

Are the TCP-wrappers letting FTP requests through, and is there a line
in /etc/inetd.conf that specifies that wuftpd should be started when an
FTP request comes through?  Check inetd.conf first and make sure a line
like

ftp   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  wu.ftpd -a

is in there and not #ed out.  Put that line in there and "killall -HUP
inetd" and things should be better.

Also, the file /etc/hosts.allow should contain a line like so:

wu.ftpd  :  ALL

Take a look at the man page for hosts_access to see what you can put in
there to control which IP addresses can access the FTP server.  You may
not want "ALL" there, of course.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Badly need help with a freezing box
Date: 4 Dec 2000 02:11:51 GMT

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 00:21:24 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>company in our base here in Sydney. Everything was going okay until
>three weeks in, when it suddenly stops, it just freezes - no keyboard
>input, nothing.
>We thought at first it might be a hardware problem/conflict of some
>kind so we took out the four-port ethernet card and replaced it with
>three standard ones. Then it was still freezing, so we just replaced
>the entire box with one with a quicker processor.
>It's still freezing.
>The only clues we have to what may or may not be happening is one entry
>in the Apache access_log which gives a line that looks like this:
>^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@
>right after the freeze is registered as happening.

Er.  This is a bit of a bad sign.  I had a problem similar to this about
a year ago, and it was due to a bad motherboard.  Unexplained random
freezes, some files (usually /var/log/messages but once, sendmail.cf !)
getting ^@^@^@ appended to them, etc.  If you replaced the entire box,
though, I don't know precisely what to tell you.

More info on the exact hardware you're using might help, especially if
there are any components in common between the box that first exhibited
the problem and the one you're using now.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Trade PDF book: Red Hat Certified Engineer Study Guide
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 02:08:28 GMT

    I'm looking for that book in PDF. Got more than 900Mb of e-books,
study guides, certification guides, CBTs and exams for several
certifications, including MCSE2K and Cisco's CCNA, CCNP, CCIE.

    If you have it and want to trade, contact me by private mail.

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to uninstall tar.gz's
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:14:59 -0600

Flej Ling wrote:

> For RPM's I know how to unistall. But for *.tar.gz packages how can you
> completely eradicate them without having to hunt for all the various files
> that have been installed all over the place?

If you compiled them from source, there's often a "make
uninstall" target that will remove the program.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: su (to root)
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:17:04 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> is there any way to set up the system so that only
> *one specific user* can SU to root?

Are you looking for something beyond having just that one
specific user who knows the root password?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: Freezing Box - *whimper*
Date: 4 Dec 2000 02:11:11 GMT

On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 22:23:17 GMT [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You might want to learn how to trim quotes, BTW.

>The company in question has a pretty good UPS and a well insulated
>power supply already. Although it is entirely likely that there may be
>power surges, having spent alot of time troubleshooting on site, I
>think I can say that I don't believe it to be a power-supply problem in
>any way, which is what makes it all the more frustrating that I can't
>figure out why it's still freezing.

One thing I'd do is put surge suppression on the *Ethernet* lines
(and modem line if any).  It's very possible for a power surge on
that line to crash a system and it's remarkably hard to trace.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mapping <Tab> key in vi or vim
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 09:17:50 GMT

Steve D. Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: It turns out that the 'expandtab' option did exactly what I was looking
: for... I just wish I could find a workaround that could also be used on
: plain vi (that's a vim-only extention).

Well, you could use vi's search and replace function to simply replace
all tabs with tree spaces. Something like:

   :1,$s/<TAB>/   /g

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Color Printing Quality
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 22:20:43 -0500

Is there a way to 'tweak' the print filter to improve the color printing
quality?  All color printing with Linux apps produces weak and muddy
colors.  Under Win4Lin (Win95), the colors are rich and sharp.  My
printer is an HP Deskjet 672.  My distribution is SuSE 6.3.

------------------------------

From: Steven Atkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Monitor specs?
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 03:30:14 -0000

I have a Pentium machine with RedHat 6.1 Installed along side Win 98SE.
Surprisingly, my Linux installation went very smooth, that is until I
reached the part where I am supposed to specify my monitor.  I scrolled up
and down the list several times but did not find my particular monitor.  I
picked the option that allowed me to specify my monitor, and then I used
the lowest settings possible, just to be on the safe side.  Linux seems to
be working fine on my machine, but the image displayed on the screen is
very craptacular.  I would like to go back and change the monitor specs (I
have found the directions for doing so). The trouble is, I don t know what
is safe for this monitor.   I purchased this monitor about 3 years ago, and
I cannot figure out what the actual manufacture is.  Above the picture
screen on the case is printed the words  EmpVision  and  Low Radiation.
The literature that came with it does not mention any manufactures, but in
one of the pictures in the manual the word  Vision Lab  is found below the
picture screen next to the digital controls.  Also,  GM-710" and  GM-710A
are printed on the front cover of the manual, but do not appear anywhere on
the monitor. My question is, Will any of these other monitors in the drop
down list work in place of my monitor, or if I do specify my own settings
what is safe to use for this monitor. Any advice will be greatly
appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Free ISP for Linux - found?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 03:42:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 03 Dec 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>www.beebware.com might support linux, since they have a general sign-up
>support area for "other operating systems". Hope this helps some people.

Maybe you should mention, if you happen to be in the UK.  Not all of us
are.  8^)

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Color Printing Quality
Date: 4 Dec 2000 04:15:24 GMT

On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 22:20:43 -0500, John Scudder staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>Is there a way to 'tweak' the print filter to improve the color
>printing quality?  All color printing with Linux apps produces weak and
>muddy colors.  Under Win4Lin (Win95), the colors are rich and sharp.
>My printer is an HP Deskjet 672.  My distribution is SuSE 6.3.

There should be a file called /etc/apsfilterrc.djcXXX somewhere in
there.  Edit that file and look for the lines that say "PRELOAD".  Most
of them will have # marks in front of them.  Remove the # marks and
make sure that PRELOADS gets set to "gamma.ps" somewhere.

Now edit /var/lib/apsfilter/preloads/gamma.ps .  There are a bunch of
lines in there, most of which are commented out with % signs.  Uncomment
one (ONLY one) of the lines in the "CMYK" section.  Print a test page,
then uncomment another line...  The 0.333 worked reasonably well for me
on an HP 932Cse.  Also try http://linuxprinting.org/ and look up your
model; there should be at least some info there on how to get it to
work.

(Printers in general are a pain to set up under Unix.  Work is being
done, but there are a bunch of developers headed in all directions at
once.)