From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: shrinking a partition/fs
Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:13:21 GMT

I should have stressed more my point (I'm not worrying about having
/ and /usr in one fs nor am I caring about mirroring the root fs)

I'm seeking for a chance to do the shrinking process in a running
system.

All I have now is a 2.2.14 system booted from sda1. /dev/sda is a
8 GB disk and there is no more free space for partitioning at the moment.
Then I have a root dump on /dev/mda.

I'm working remotely at the moment.

I have SCSI boot in BIOS which I cannot change remotely.

I could restore the root dump to the raid disk. But could I then make the
raid disk bootable when the SCSI drive is primarily booted.

Once booted from the raid disk, I could repair the partition situation
to my taste, restore the root dump (that is / and /usr)

My only fear is that booting the raid disk may fail.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Chris Wallace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups
Subject: RFD: comp.os.linux.trustix
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:11:42 GMT

                     REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
               unmoderated group comp.os.linux.trustix

This is a formal Request For Discussion (RFD) for the creation of a
world-wide unmoderated Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.trustix.
This is not a Call for Votes (CFV); you cannot vote at this time.
Procedural details are below.

Newsgroup line:
comp.os.linux.trustix   A Linux distribution: Trustix.

RATIONALE: comp.os.linux.trustix

The rationale for this group follows that the need for a newsgroup
where a user of the Linux distribution: Trustix can go and ask any
question or answer any question pertaining to Trustix.  Trustix is a
Linux distribution devoted soley to Servers. Since this Linux
distribution is devoted to Servers I believe it will become very
popular amongst administrators because most Linux distributions
contain files that Servers do not need. Currently, anybody who uses
Trustix does not have any newsgroup to go to. So with that I hope to
launch a newsgroup dedicated to this distribution.

CHARTER: comp.os.linux.trustix

comp.os.linux.trustix is intended to be for the discussion of topics
related to the Trustix distribution.  Topics may include discussion
about Trustix, Linux in general, or even the validity of Linux in the
world of MS Windows.

END CHARTER.

PROCEDURE:

This is a request for discussion, not a call for votes.  In this phase
of the process, any potential problems with the proposed newsgroups
should be raised and resolved.  The discussion period will continue
for a minimum of 21 days (starting from when the first RFD for this
proposal is posted to news.announce.newgroups), after which a Call For
Votes (CFV) may be posted by a neutral vote taker if the discussion
warrants it.  Please do not attempt to vote until this happens.

All discussion of this proposal should be posted to news.groups.

This RFD attempts to comply fully with the Usenet newsgroup creation
guidelines outlined in "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" and "How
to Format and Submit a New Group Proposal".  Please refer to these
documents (available in news.announce.newgroups) if you have any
questions about the process.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD has been posted to the following groups:

news.announce.newgroups, news.groups,
comp.os.linux.announce

Proponent: Chris Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file
Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:15:37 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:33:40 GMT, Shawn E. Corkery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thanks for your response, however, I have verified that the FS is
>mounted RW and I can modify other files in the /etc folder.

Check out the lsattr and the chattr command.  chattr can put a file in
such a stat that even root can't write to the file.  Nice if you absolutily
don't want accidental modification of certain files, but only if you know
about it.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hubert Figuiere)
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc
Subject: Re: Linux boxes in an Exchange network: help
Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:26:54 GMT

Adam Finkelstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :

>I need to set up several Linux boxes on a network served by MS Exchange.
>Currently the Exchange server does not have either pop or imap on. Is there
>anyway to send and receive mail with Linux using mapi?

Definitely NO.

>Obviously, if I can get
>the powers-at-be to turn on imap, I'll be okay, but if I cannot, has anyone any
>suggestions? The boxes are behind a NAT-ed firewall on a complete Microsoft
>network using Exchange and Outlook.

If you can get POP/IMAP and SMTP, you'll be fine. Beware that they should
allow "plain text" authentication.

This is what I had to do here.

Hub
--
"La disparition de la carte perforée est un trou dont personne ne se
remet." - JPK, March 2000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: swapd crash - any leads appreciated
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:16:19 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:47:53 -0400,
 Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alan Needleman wrote:
> >
> > Sorry about the multiple postings if they are not appropriate, but I
> > have been having repeated crashes and my previous single post (probably
> > to the wrong group) did not get a response.
> >
> > I have 256 Megs of RAM and a 384 Meg swap partition (hda10). I am the
> > only user on a RH 6.1 system with kernel 2.2.16-3. As best I can tell,
> > the swap file is rarely used but I get swapd crashes 1-3 times a week
> > with error messages like that below.
>
> It can be used for paging even if you aren't swapping.  I
> thought 128 MB was the limit for a single swap partition?

On 2.0, yes.  Not on 2.2 or later.

As for the original poster, it's not swap per se that's failing (though
swapoff'ing and mkswap'ing it again can't hurt) -- most likely it's a
table in the kernel that is getting munged.

That would be one of two things: a kernel bug or hardware (bad RAM or
even cache RAM fiddling bits and breaking things).

First, I would update to one of the 'pre' 2.2.17 kernels (pre6 seems to
work fine for me): 2.2.16 had enough oddities that Debian Potato
officially uses 2.2.17pre6.  If that doesn't fix it, check your RAM with
something like memtest86.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: "Marcel Post" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Adding multiple users in school environment
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:36:53 +0200

> I work at a school down under in Cairns, Queensland, Australia and need a
> script to add hundereds of students to a Slackware 7.1 box I have just
> installed and configured. I have searched the net considerably but can not
> seem to find a suitable one. I did find one in Dutch called "usrmgr" but
it
> didn't do much for me.
>
> Can someone please lead me in the right direction or email me one if you
> have one on your server ...?
>
> Thanks alot ... it's much appreciated.
>
> Scott
> PC & Network Support Technician
> St Mary's College - Cairns

How's this for a user-adding script?

#!/bin/sh
echo "creating users..."
for user in `cat userlist`
do
         /usr/sbin/useradd $user -g samba
done

It reads a plain textfile 'userlist' and adds all the users and makes them
member of the group samba. I use it for quickly setting up my system.

Greetz,
Marcel

------------------------------

From: "Ian Dichkovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Change from KDE to GNOME
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:58:03 -0700

Hi !

"Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:FBym5.170$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Anyone know how to change my default desktop from KDE to GNOME?

Look in file /etc/sysconfig/desktop

Bye!

------------------------------

From: "Ian Dichkovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: BIOS calls
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:59:56 -0700

Hi !

> itself doesn't need the BIOS anymore. So to ask again : which BIOS
> functions are needed to start Linux.

first of all - int 13h for LILO to read and start kernel.

Bye!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Moore)
Subject: rpm --rebuilddb not working
Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:51:38 GMT

I recently upgraded to rpm-4.x ; I'd been getting a lot of packages that
complained of "can't install packages with major number >3" or something
like that, and figured it might fix the problem. Looks like it did
something to the rpm database (/var/lib/rpm/ ?), because rpm -qa lists
rpm-4.x as the only installed package. I've tried --rebuilddb, but it
finishes _way_ too quickly to be doing anything usefull, and nothing seems
to be fixed.  What now?

-Peter Moore

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Aug 2000 08:05:56 GMT

Andrew N. McGuire  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 16 Aug 2000, Peter T. Breuer quoth:
: ~~ Err .. the root partition had better be about 20-64M in size, if you
: ~~ prefer not to let random alpha particles stop you being able to boot
: ~~ up or losing you lots of nice config. I mirror the root partition
: ~~ to the other end of the disk for convenience.

: What good does mirroring the root partition to the other end of
: the disk do?  It does not provide performance, as mirroring is
: inherently a performance hit.  It would also not provide availability
: as you would have multiple points of failure (disk, controller, board).

Oh yes it does. It avoids you ever having to use a boot disk. (hint
 = linux root=/dev/hda12 in case hda5 is hosed). It also provides
you with a copy of the root as it was just before you made that last
disastrous change and rebooted ...

: ~~ By any chance did you mean /usr partition. That can be about 1-2GB.

: Ahhh, to combine / and /usr or not?!?  Personally I don't, I prefer
: a small root partition.  However, I don't see any harm in it as long
: as roots shell is statically linked, etc...

:-). And so is login, getty, etc. etc. I

: ~~ Sure. Just change it. You'll find a pivot manoeuver around a third
: ~~ partition to be of great help. Make a and b of the right size to
: ~~ contain a split up c. copy c into a and b. Edit a's copy of
: ~~ /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the new setup. run lilo
: ~~ over it and reboot (leave yourself an option to reboot to the old
: ~~ partition). Repeat until satisfied.
: ~~
: ~~ You can also pivot around an nfs mount if you prefer. Or a tape deck

: Hell, at that point I'd just reinstall and restore (don't have an
: extra partition to spare).

Yes you do. If you have a swap partition you can use that as a pivot.
You can do without swap temporarily.

You can swoosh /usr down into a .tgz file of half the size and send
it off disk over the net (post it to yourself @home ;-) and/or move
root into the old swap partition and cut up the old one.

Generally I prefer lots of small partitions as I can recombine them
as I wish using raid. If I ever figure out lvm I might use that
instead.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Aug 2000 08:11:57 GMT

Peter Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

:>: ls -ln /etc/group
:>: -rw-rw-r--    1 0              0        556 Aug 16 10:37 group

:>: ls -ln /etc/passwd
:>: -rw-rw-r--    1 0              0        932 Aug 16 10:37 passwd

:>Arrrrrgh. Zero length passwd files. Well, just about what you'd expect
:>if someone had a messed up FS. Or tried editing them in an unusual way.

: Look again. That says owner=id0, group=gid0, file sizes=556,932. And he has given no

Oops. Yes .. that's a link count in the first numeric field, not a uid.
APOLOGIES. That's a real mistake of mine there.

: indication that his FS is messed up. Now as to how that immutable bit got set...
:That's
: something to worry about -- though it's a good idea if you do it yourself.

Immutable bits can get set if fsck has done a botched repair. I'd like
to see an ls -ln of more of his root fs. Setuid bits in abundance would
be a giveaway.

Indeed, someone using chattr is the most reasonable explanation for the
single immutable bit set. Did he do it or was he pushed?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Aug 2000 08:12:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:> If you aren't willingly in runlevel S or 1, then your system simply
:> has set itself RO as a defensive measure. Please show the output of
:> tune2fs, as asked.

: If the system was doing this, surely there would be signs other than
: just select files becoming unmodifiable.

: Not sure when you wrote this, but the solution has been found...

I'm not sure it has. A suddenly immutable file is a symptom of
something ...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Haynes)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: New Palmtop running Linux!
Date: 17 Aug 2000 09:25:48 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes) writes:

> They run on a 66MHz 32 Bit NEC VR4181 MIPS processor and apparently a
> Linux app compiled for MIPS (?) should run on it.
>
> http://www.agendacomputing.com

Looks interesting, but I'm not convinced it's for me. (Why the copious
references to Outlook amongst the `PC requirements' section? What about us
linux *users*?)

Cradle looks a bit like a dead-squid product from the Dim Sum range that I
saw in a restaurant the other Saturday.
(Heck, you did ask for opinions ;)

I'm holding out hopes for a Yopy, myself. Or anything with a builting web
cam ;8)

~Tim
--

------------------------------

From: Mace =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ga=EBl?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.devel
Subject: Can't load a module (unresolved kernel symbol)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:39:13 +0000

==============DA3AC8451863C817D1587B3E

Hi,

I'm currently developing a device driver under a kernel 2.2.13-7 mdk
(Mandrake 6.1). The compilation seems to be ok, nevertheless  the
tried.
What is the mistake ?

Thanks for your help

#include <linux/config.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/version.h>

int init_module(void) { printk("Hello !!!!!!\n"); return 0; }
void cleanup_module(void) { printk("Bye !!!!!!\n"); return; }

hello.c: In function `init_module':
hello.c:9: warning: implicit declaration of function `printk'

Compilation finished at Wed Aug 16 17:55:49

hello.o: unresolved symbol printk

--
Gaël MACE

===>> Speed can kill, use Windows  <<==========

==============DA3AC8451863C817D1587B3E

Hi,
(Mandrake 6.1). The compilation seems to be ok, nevertheless&nbsp; the
I tried.
<pre>--&nbsp;
Ga&euml;l MACE

===>> Speed can kill, use Windows&nbsp; &lt;&lt;==========</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X Window System Rebellion
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:29:49 GMT

because my Mandrake Linux 7.0 wont readily detect my Intel(R) chip i have
to first use a Standard VGA compatible which obviously isnt up to par with
my graphical capabilites. So when going into my linux Config file and
changing things i then cannot re-log into my X System. it stays at the #
prompt and that ugly non-graphical screen and i cant get into my system.
so i re-install it. im guessing im making a config error so what can i do
to get back into my desktop?

From: Werner =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FChnert?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:45:49 +0200

Ian Dichkovsky wrote:

> Hi !
>
> > itself doesn't need the BIOS anymore. So to ask again : which BIOS
> > functions are needed to start Linux.
>
> first of all - int 13h for LILO to read and start kernel.
>
> Bye!

That's one of the functions I am sure that will be used. int 13h for
disk access, int 10h for text output, but what else ? Will LILO switch
graphics mode or is it just plain text ? What about PCI interrupts ? I
will have a look in the sources.
TX

Werner

--
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Colin VEROT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help about libgd (urgent!)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:50:12 +0200

Hi!

Excuse my poor English, i'm French :)

I have some problems with webalizer and libgd, under a Linux system
(Mandrake 7). I want to compile webalizer with the French settings.
It means that I have to recompile webalizer with some french headers,
included in the distribution.
But the compilation says that libgd.a is not find !
I have installed the latest version of libgd, but, reading some
documents about it, I have already installed older versions, who
supports GIF pic generation.
I'm not a Linux master, but I think doing what it needs.

Have you some response for me.

** Write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] directly. **

--
Colin VEROT - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - PGP DH/DSS ID 0x28C8834C
Internet Quake - Web development - http://www.verot.net

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Notebook/Windows rebate?
Date: 17 Aug 2000 07:53:26 GMT

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>But isn't an OEM of Windows bound to the computer? Selling the
>OS separately in private may be a good idea, but doing it publicly
>over the net is exposing your butt to the wrath of Microsoft.

A German court recently ruled that this was legal.  That, of course, is
only of help if you live in Germany.

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/07/07/000707hnunbundle.xml

--
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc