Linux-Misc Digest #472, Volume #25               Thu, 17 Aug 00 15:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  FWD: SuSE swipes AS/400 in IBM megadeal. (blowfish)
  Re: KDE menus ("Ingemar Lundin")
  Re: PPP and ip-up (John Hasler)
  Re: Modem Troubles (Doc)
  Re: Memory question (Arlan Lucas de Souza)
  neighbour table overflow?! (Peter Bismuti)
  Re: Adding multiple users in school environment ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  dosemu (Ronald J Roy)
  Re: job for you ("Jon Brooks")
  Re: Memory question (Javier Hijas)
  Re: SRPM question (Robert Lynch)
  Re: open SSH 2.1.1 cannot connect with PAM authentication (redhat) (Richard E.
Silverman)
  Re: dosemu (mst)
  Re: to any one using linux with sympatico HSE: what gives?
  Re: video codecs available on Linux. (mst)
  Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers (Stefan Soos)
  Re: X Window System Rebellion (N/A)
  Re: newsgroup reader??? ("Sylvain Pasche")
  Re: X Window System Rebellion (Akira Yamanita)
  perl, informix and linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  fonts in dgs-0.5.10 (Marcus Woletz)
  Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Modem Troubles (No User)

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FWD: SuSE swipes AS/400 in IBM megadeal.
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:25:49 -0700

SuSE swipes AS/400 in IBM megadeal
By: Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco

SuSE is leading a charge to put Linux on IBM's AS/400 servers, and public
demonstrations should be ready before the end of the year the company said
yesterday.

Dirk Hondel, SuSE CTO, told The Register that a number of big customers were
piloting large S/390 projects which involved replaced hundreds of infrastructure
PCs with virtual counterparts running in mainframe partitions.

The news came as SuSE announced that IBM would make its Linux 7.0 distro available
across the full range of IBM business PCs and RS/6000s. SuSE will be first choice
in Europe, and along with Caldera, top choice in the US too.

If you knew SuSE
Although partnerships between OEMs and distros are announced every day, what
swings this one is that SuSE has got across the board coverage for IBM kit on
ThinkPads, NetVista clients, Intellistations and NetFinity servers.

Full Story:  http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12646.html

- Alex / blowfish.- Just an average, whimpy, non-geek American computer user.
  (Have Fun with geek's culture:-Version
2.4-pre-release99999-test-1234567.pre-beta5000.)
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs ==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSzzzzz!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song) Fingerprint -v.i007.bond: Doe1(-a deer, a female deer.)
RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A needle
pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That will bring
us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh.
  (c)Copy Righted by Alex / blowfish. -2000. All Rights Reserved.

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE menus
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:45:06 GMT

?
right-click on item you want to remove in the KDE menueditor and chose
"remove"

/IL

news:8ngrrv$6dp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP and ip-up
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:32:00 GMT

Subba Rao writes:
> My PPP connection is working fine. However, when it runs, it executes
> ip-up script twice.

This is a known bug.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doc)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Modem Troubles
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:50:48 GMT

On 17 Aug 2000 03:38:41 -0000, Arclight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt) writes:
>
>>I have not used a PCI modem (just pcmcia),
>
>It's a good thing; they're all Windows modems.

No, they aren't. There are several fully-hardware-driven PCI modems on the
market now. Actiontech is the only brand I can recall this minute, but there
are a couple of others.

Doc

------------------------------

From: Arlan Lucas de Souza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory question
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:12:21 -0400

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Javier Hijas wrote:

> When I use commands like "top" and others related with memory usage, I
> always find the fields "shared", "buffers", "cache"..., but there are so
> many kind of buffers and cache that I don't know what does "buffers" and
> "cache" means.
>
>   I tried to look for that in the man pages and in the Kpm documentation
> but I didn't find anything. Does someone know where can I find
> information related to this? thanks

I think you could read http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/tlk/mm/memory.html. It
isn't a easy text but could help you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: neighbour table overflow?!
Date: 17 Aug 2000 16:53:33 GMT

I'm getting an error message 'neighour table overflow', it looks
like it is causing some network services to fail. Most of the problem
went away when I turned off NFS (removed it from the boot sequence).

I'm getting this when I try to telnet into my mail server:

[myname@mymachine myname]$ telnet 192.168.0.31 25
Trying 192.168.0.31...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No buffer space available

Anyone know how I can fix this?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Adding multiple users in school environment
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 16:45:35 GMT

  Since you talk about hundred of users I assume
you must read those user names form a file or
something, right ? If so let me know the format
of the file where you are reading these
information then I may be able to suggest you a
concrete solution.
  If such a file/database/etc does not exist then
what's the point of automating a process that is
in essence manual ?!?

Anton Ghiugan

In article <2yLm5.405$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Wondering if some of you could possibly help me
in my hour of need .... :)

> I work at a school down under in Cairns,
Queensland, Australia and need a
> script to add hundereds of students to a
Slackware 7.1 box I have just
> installed and configured. I have searched the
net considerably but can not
> seem to find a suitable one. I did find one in
Dutch called "usrmgr" but it
> didn't do much for me.
>
> Can someone please lead me in the right
direction or email me one if you

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ronald J Roy)
Subject: dosemu
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:13:52 GMT

I have dosemu working, but how do you add programs? I installed from source
and used the freedos image off the redhat6.1 cdrom.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.networks,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.ole,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc
Subject: Re: job for you
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:22:23 +0100

dick

news:8ngs3c$m2r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Javier Hijas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:27:17 +0200

Thanks, I do know and understand that text, but what I really want to
know is the exactly sort of memory these commands are about, not to
understand them.
(I am sorry, my English is not too good, and perhaps I don't explaing
properly what I mean)

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SRPM question
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:27:36 -0700

James Garrison wrote:

> I'm trying to install kernel-2.2.16-3.src.rpm downloaded from one
> of the RedHat mirrors.  The command
>
>    rpm -i kernel-2.2.16-3.src.rpm
>
> takes only 3 seconds to run, prints no error messages,
> and appears to do NOTHING.  It does not install the SRPM.
>
> Current OS is RH 2.2.16-3 installed from the binary RPM.
> I need to rebuild the kernel to install additional modules
> (GRE masquerading).

cd to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS and you will find a spec file,
"kernel.spec"(?).  Meanwhile the "install" HAS done something,
the archived sources and needed patches are in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.

Do "rpm -bp kernel.spec".

This will unpack the sources and apply the patches.

Then cd to /usr/src/redhat/BUILD, enter the kernel-X.Y.Z
directory, change .config, run "make oldconfig dep bzImage
modules modules_install" and do a hand install.

HTH. Bob L.

P.S. If you really knew what you were doing, you could make your
own custom patch, apply it by altering the spec file, and then do
"rpm -bb --clean kernel.spec".  This is hard, tho.

--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.security.ssh,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: open SSH 2.1.1 cannot connect with PAM authentication (redhat)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard E. Silverman)
Date: 17 Aug 2000 13:27:29 -0400

    Jari> Can you show what should be there? Thanks.  Jari

Try reading the INSTALL file regarding PAM, and look at the various
supplied sample sshd.pam files in the contrib directory.

--
  Richard Silverman

From: mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dosemu
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:48:13 -0400

Ronald J Roy wrote:

> I have dosemu working, but how do you add programs? I installed from source
> and used the freedos image off the redhat6.1 cdrom.

Read the docs. Or use the floppy.

MST

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: to any one using linux with sympatico HSE: what gives?
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:53:46 -0400

>   Well something is wrong.
Have you tried to ftp something?
Yes . Off cdrom.com.

< Damn this crappy outlook!! It tries to mark stuff as links!! @#%&*! >

Two at the same time. One pegged at 7 KBytes/S . The Other started off at 2
KB , climed to 11 KB and then settled down to 8 KB.

A third transfer off a 3dfiles server stalled !

>Tried setting
> up the proxy server for your webbrowser?

I didn't bother with their proxies ( if they have it).

Most of what I use it for is ftping stuff and for updates. So their proxies
are useless.

>dslreports just claimed I hit
> 760kps with realaudio running and using 95kps.

That very same site said that I had a *very* slow line.

I've asked sympatico to do a line test a few hours ago and was told to wait
24 hrs.  I wonder when they will get around to doing it...
At this point in time, cable looks really great. If they can guarantee a
100kbytes/s transfer to their ftp server, I wonder what the outside network
traffic will go at...

Any thing to know about videotron and linux ?

joseph

------------------------------

From: mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: video codecs available on Linux.
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:51:54 -0400

Liviu Nicoara wrote:

> Are there any video codecs available for Linux? Free?

For decoding video files, you may want to take a look here:
http://www-eleves.enst-bretagne.fr/~chavarri/xmps/
and here:
http://divx.euro.ru/

MST

------------------------------

From: Stefan Soos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers
Date: 17 Aug 2000 15:07:17 +0200

Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Garman) writes:

> Are there any good trackers for Linux?  By tracker I mean the software
> with which you can *create* MOD files (or S3M, XM, etc).  DOS examples are
> Impulse Tracker and FastTracker.

I know of FunktrackerGold and Soundtracker.
Funktracker runs under the console Soundtracker needs Gtk.

> Thanks,
> MG

HTH,

Stefan

--
Send mail with subject 'get gpgkey' to recieve gpg-public-key

------------------------------

From: N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X Window System Rebellion
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:29:40 GMT

Robert Hampf wrote:

> N/A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hlt essu fram:
> :
> : because my Mandrake Linux 7.0 wont readily detect my Intel(R) chip i
have
> : to first use a Standard VGA compatible which obviously isnt up to par
with
> : my graphical capabilites. So when going into my linux Config file and
> : changing things i then cannot re-log into my X System. it stays at the
#
> : prompt and that ugly non-graphical screen and i cant get into my
system.
> : so i re-install it. im guessing im making a config error so what can i
do
> : to get back into my desktop?
>
> You should learn how to ask questions.  Nobody can give you an
> accurate answer unless your question is accurate.  Also by flooding
> newsgroups with similar messages while hiding behind a N/A name will
> make you look like a complete jerk and you will be put into a lot of
> kill files.  Then at least you won't get any answers.
>
> So tell the audience: What config file did you change?  How?  What
> happened when you tried to restart X?  What errors did you get?  What
> hardware have you got?  Any specs?
>
> BTW.  The non-graphical screen isn't ugly.  It's camouflaged because
> it's so powerful you can't give it to kids.
>
> rh

i dont hide behind N/A i dont know how to post any other way actually. my
name is Dennis Williams II if you were wondering. i tried to change the
etc/X11/XF86Config file or something like in a text editor to get my
System to recognize an Intel(R) Graphics Chipset. ok i thought i did fine
but later on i couldnt get back into my Linux Desktop. it stayed at the
black screen with the # prompt. i couldnt startx either.

From: "Sylvain Pasche" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newsgroup reader???
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:32:57 +0200

> Hi, there,
>
> Just a simple question. What is the newsgroup reader program in Linux,
> say RH6.2? And how about in Sun OS?
>
> Thanks
>
> Davis

If you've got gnome installed, I think PAN is a must have, really cool !

see www.superpimp.org

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:40:55 GMT

N/A wrote:

> i dont hide behind N/A i dont know how to post any other way actually. my
> name is Dennis Williams II if you were wondering. i tried to change the
> etc/X11/XF86Config file or something like in a text editor to get my
> System to recognize an Intel(R) Graphics Chipset. ok i thought i did fine
> but later on i couldnt get back into my Linux Desktop. it stayed at the
> black screen with the # prompt. i couldnt startx either.

Try Xconfigurator from the shell prompt when logged in as root.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: perl, informix and linux
Date: 17 Aug 2000 17:20:04 GMT

I've been trying to install the perl module DBD-Informix on my trusty
Linux machine so I can chat with an Informix server on another machine.
To do this the module install program insists I have esql or sdk
installed. There don't appear Linux versions of these available.

Anyone know a way around this? Can I force the silly install program to
do the install anyway? The whole requirement seems silly to anyone that
has no plans on accessing a local Informix server.

-Erik

------------------------------

From: Marcus Woletz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fonts in dgs-0.5.10
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:59:47 +0200

Hi,

could anyone tell me how and where I have to set
the "fonts"-path to enable text display in
dgs-0.5.10??

I've installed dgs in my home directory, and have
made links to the /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts
directory in some dgs directories, but
without any success.
So, where do I have to install the fonts directory
under the dgs-directory to get the fonts work?

Or do I have a problem with the dgs functions
which I call to display the text (small example?)

Many thanks!
bye
Marcus

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't modify inetd.conf file
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:50:35 GMT

> No, this NG is not a helpdesk.  I also fail to see what this has to
> do with people in the "Linux world".  Becuase someone makes a reply
> that you deem "smart-ass" you paint "some people in the Linux world"
> all with the same brush?  You've got to be kidding, this NG is not

Read a little closer.  Some doesn't mean all, buddy.

And wouldn't you say that the majority of messages posted to this
newsgroup are messages asking for help or suggestions?

> a help desk, it is meant to discuss Linux related things.  If I or
> anyone else chooses to help, it is because we care enough about Linux
> to want to see people have a good experience with it, not because it
> is mandated that we must help in a polically correct manner.

I agree.  Maybe I read the response wrong, but to me, it was the type of
response that wasn't necessary.  It had the wrong tone towards the user
in a situation in which the user was at a loss.

-rd

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:06:41 -0500
From: No User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux

Doc writes:

>There are several fully-hardware-driven PCI modems on the
>market now. Actiontech is the only brand I can recall this
>minute, but there are a couple of others.

These must be quite new; On comp.dcom.modems a few months ago, none
of the experts could find a single PCI harware modem.

In any case, they are at the very least _rare_ and our friend doesn't
have one - and others trying to make a modem work on Linux are best
served by avoiding PCI modems unless they are _positive_ that are
Linux-capable.

On the other hand, being ISA is no assurance of a modem being a
hardware modem either.  I have seen a number of cheap ISA Windows
modems lately.