From: Shankar K E <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LPRng prints a banner page all the time
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:02:36 +0530

==============D74633A71CEF4266F2D8A7F3

Hi,

I am running Red Hat Linux 6.2, and the printer always prints a banner
page along with anything I print.

Please let me know how could I solve this problem.

Attached is the lpd.conf and the printcap file,

FYI : I am using LPRng.

Regards

Shankar

==============D74633A71CEF4266F2D8A7F3

# Dummy Printcap file
# VERSION=3.6.19
#lp:cm=Dummy Printcap File
#  :lp=/dev/null
#  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE lj4dith 600x600 a4 {} LaserJet4dither Default 1
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=lanjet1.india.hp.com:\
        :rp=lanjet1.india.hp.com:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

==============D74633A71CEF4266F2D8A7F3

# lpd.conf
# VERSION=3.6.19
# lpd.conf generated from Makefile on Thu Jul  6 17:33:20 IST 2000
#   The values in this file are the default values.
#   If you modify the file,  set the value to something other than the default
#   For example,
#     # default force_localhost
#   means the 'force_localhost' option default value is on or 1
#   To set it to OFF or 0, change this to read:
#     force_localhost@

force_localhost@
sh@
be@
bl@
bp@
hl@
sb@
bl@
of@
generate_banner@
# Purpose: always print banner, ignore lpr -h option
#   default ab@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: query accounting server when connected
#   default achk@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: accounting at end (see also af, la, ar, as)
#   default ae=jobend $H $n $P $k $b $t  (STRING)
# Purpose: name of accounting file (see also la, ar)
#   default af=acct  (STRING)
# Purpose: automatically hold all jobs
#   default ah@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: Allow use of LPD_CONF environment variable
#   default allow_getenv@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: allow users to request logging info using lpr -mhost%port
#   default allow_user_logging@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: allow these users or UIDs to set owner of job.  For Samba front ending
#   default allow_user_setting=  (STRING)
# Purpose: append these -Z options to end of options list on outgoing or filters
#   default append_z=  (STRING)
# Purpose: write remote transfer accounting (if af is set)
#   default ar  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: host architecture
#   default architecture=i686   (STRING)
# Purpose: accounting at start (see also af, la, ar)
#   default as=jobstart $H $n $P $k $b $t  (STRING)
# Purpose: authentication type for client to server
#   default auth=  (STRING)
# Purpose: client to server authentication filter
#   default auth_forward=  (STRING)
# Purpose: end banner printing program overides bp
#   default be=  (STRING)
# Purpose: Berkeley LPD: job file strictly RFC-compliant
#   default bk@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: Berkeley LPD filter options
#   default bk_filter_options=$P $w $l $x $y $F $c $L $i $J $C $0n $0h $-a  (STRING)
# Purpose: Berkeley LPD OF filter options
#   default bk_of_filter_options=$w $l $x $y  (STRING)
# Purpose: backwards-compatible filters: use simple paramters
#   default bkf@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: short banner line sent to banner printer
#   default bl=$-C:$-n Job: $-J Date: $-t  (STRING)
# Purpose: banner printing program (see bs, be)
#   default bp=  (STRING)
# Purpose: format for bounce queue output
#   default bq_format=f  (STRING)
# Purpose: if lp is a tty, set the baud rate (see ty)
#   default br=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: do not set priority from class name
#   default break_classname_priority_link@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: banner printing program overrides bp
#   default bs=  (STRING)
# Purpose: check for nonprintable file
#   default check_for_nonprintable@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: check for RFC1179 protocol violations
#   default check_for_protocol_violations@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: filter selects the destination for a load balance queue
#   default chooser=  (STRING)
# Purpose: interval between checks for available destination for load balance queue
#   default chooser_interval=10  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: user provided routine selects the destination for a load balance queue
#   default chooser_routine@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: show classname in status display
#   default class_in_status@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: comment identifying printer (LPQ)
#   default cm=  (STRING)
# Purpose: configuration file
#   default config_file= /usr/local/etc/lpd.conf   (STRING)
# Purpose: connection control for remote printers
#   default connect_grace=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: connection control for remote printers
#   default connect_interval=10  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: connection timeout for remote printers
#   default connect_timeout=10  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: control file line order
#   default control_file_line_order=  (STRING)
# Purpose: control file filter
#   default control_filter=  (STRING)
# Purpose: create files in spool directory
#   default create_files@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: debug level set for queue handler
#   default db=  (STRING)
# Purpose: default job format
#   default default_format=f  (STRING)
# Purpose: default permission for files
#   default default_permission=ACCEPT  (STRING)
# Purpose: default printer
#   default default_printer=missingprinter  (STRING)
# Purpose: default job priority
#   default default_priority=A  (STRING)
# Purpose: default remote host
#   default default_remote_host=localhost  (STRING)
# Purpose: default temp directory for temp files
#   default default_tmp_dir=/tmp  (STRING)
# Purpose: printers that a route filter may return and we should query
#   default destinations=  (STRING)
# Purpose: exit linger timeout to wait for socket to close
#   default exit_linger_timeout=600  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: string to send for a form feed
#   default ff=\\f  (STRING)
# Purpose: default filter
#   default filter=  (STRING)
# Purpose: filter LD_LIBRARY_PATH value
#   default filter_ld_path= /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/5lib:/usr/ucblib   (STRING)
# Purpose: filter options
#   default filter_options=$A $B $C $D $E $F $G $H $I $J $K $L $M $N $O $P $Q $R $S $T
$U $V $W $X $Y $Z $a $b $c $d $e $f $g $h $i $j $k $l $m $n $o $p $q $r $s $t $u $v $w
$x $y $z $-a  (STRING)
# Purpose: filter PATH environment variable
#   default filter_path=
/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/contrib/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/sbin:/usr/etc:/etc
(STRING)
# Purpose: interval at which to check OF filter for error status
#   default filter_poll_interval=30  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: write filter errors to the :ps=status file if there is one
#   default filter_stderr_to_status_file@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: print a form feed when device is opened
#   default fo@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: force FQDN HOST value in control file
#   default force_fqdn_hostname@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: force clients to send all requests to localhost
#   default force_localhost  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: force lpq status format for specified hostnames
#   default force_lpq_status=  (STRING)
# Purpose: force use of this queuename if none provided
#   default force_queuename=  (STRING)
# Purpose: print a form feed when device is closed
#   default fq@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: full or complete time format
#   default full_time@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: valid output filter formats
#   default fx=  (STRING)
# Purpose: generate a banner when forwarding job
#   default generate_banner@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: group to run SUID ROOT programs
#   default group= daemon   (STRING)
# Purpose: print banner after job instead of before
#   default hl@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: filter command, run on a per-file basis
#   default if=  (STRING)
# Purpose: ignore requested user priority
#   default ignore_requested_user_priority@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: Running IPV6
#   default ipv6@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: TCP keepalive enabled
#   default keepalive  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: remote server principal for server to server forwarding
#   default kerberos_forward_principal=  (STRING)
# Purpose: keytab file location for kerberos, used by server
#   default kerberos_keytab=/etc/lpd.keytab  (STRING)
# Purpose: key lifetime for kerberos, used by server
#   default kerberos_life=  (STRING)
# Purpose: key renewal time for kerberos, used by server
#   default kerberos_renew=  (STRING)
# Purpose: remote server principle, overides default
#   default kerberos_server_principal=  (STRING)
# Purpose: default service
#   default kerberos_service=lpr  (STRING)
# Purpose: write local printer accounting (if af is set)
#   default la  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: leader string printed on printer open
#   default ld=  (STRING)
# Purpose: error log file (servers, filters and prefilters)
#   default lf=log  (STRING)
# Purpose: lock the IO device
#   default lk@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: lpd lock file
#   default lockfile= /var/run/lpd   (STRING)
# Purpose: where to send status information for logging
#   default logger_destination=  (STRING)
# Purpose: maximum size in K of logger file
#   default logger_max_size=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: path of file to hold logger information
#   default logger_path=  (STRING)
# Purpose: timeout between connection attempts to remote logger
#   default logger_timeout=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: use long job number when a job is submitted
#   default longnumber@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: device name or lp-pipe command to send output to
#   default lp=  (STRING)
# Purpose: force lpd to filter jobs (bounce) before sending to remote queue
#   default lpd_bounce@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: force a poll operation
#   default lpd_force_poll@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: lpd pathname for server use
#   default lpd_path=  (STRING)
# Purpose: interval in secs between starting up all servers
#   default lpd_poll_time=600  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: lpd port
#   default lpd_port=printer  (STRING)
# Purpose: lpd printcap path
#   default lpd_printcap_path= /usr/local/etc/lpd_printcap   (STRING)
# Purpose: use lpr filtering as in bounce queue
#   default lpr_bounce@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: BSD LPR -m flag, does not require mail address
#   default lpr_bsd@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: from address to use in mail messages
#   default mail_from=  (STRING)
# Purpose: mail to this operator on error
#   default mail_operator_on_error=  (STRING)
# Purpose: maximum connection interval
#   default max_connect_interval=60  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: maximum log file size in Kbytes
#   default max_log_file_size=1000  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: maximum number of servers that can be active
#   default max_servers_active=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: maximum length of status line
#   default max_status_line=79  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: maximum size (in K) of status file
#   default max_status_size=10  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: maximum copies allowed
#   default mc=1  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: minimum log file size in Kbytes
#   default min_log_file_size=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: minimum status file size in Kbytes
#   default min_status_size=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: minimum amount of free space needed in K bytes
#   default minfree=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: minimum number of printable characters for printable check
#   default ml=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: millisecond time resolution
#   default ms_time_resolution  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: maximum job size (1Kb blocks, 0 = unlimited)
#   default mx=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: use nonblocking open
#   default nb@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: connection control for remote network printers
#   default network_connect_grace=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: N line after cfA000... line in control file
#   default nline_after_file@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: output filter, run once for all output
#   default of=  (STRING)
# Purpose: OF filter options
#   default of_filter_options=  (STRING)
# Purpose: use user supplied queue order routine
#   default order_routine@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: orginate connections from these ports
#   default originate_port=512 1023  (STRING)
# Purpose: if client, pass these environment variables
#   default pass_env=PGPPASS,PGPPATH,PGPPASSFD  (STRING)
# Purpose: lpd.perms files
#   default perms_path= /usr/local/etc/lpd.perms   (STRING)
# Purpose: page length (in lines)
#   default pl=66  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: pr program for p format
#   default pr=/bin/pr  (STRING)
# Purpose: prefix -O (oh) options to -Z options, remove -O options
#   default prefix_o_to_z@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: prefix these -Z options to start of options list on outgoing or filters
#   default prefix_z=  (STRING)
# Purpose: prefix -Z options to -O options, remove -Z options
#   default prefix_z_to_o@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: /etc/printcap files
#   default printcap_path= /usr/local/etc/printcap   (STRING)
# Purpose: printer status file name
#   default ps=status  (STRING)
# Purpose: page width (in characters)
#   default pw=80  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: page width in pixels (horizontal)
#   default px=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: page length in pixels (vertical)
#   default py=0  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: put queue name in control file
#   default qq  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: print queue control file name
#   default queue_control_file=control.%P  (STRING)
# Purpose: print queue lock file name
#   default queue_lock_file=%P  (STRING)
# Purpose: print queue status file name
#   default queue_status_file=status.%P  (STRING)
# Purpose: print queue unspooler pid file name
#   default queue_unspooler_file=unspooler.%P  (STRING)
# Purpose: operations allowed to remote host
#   default remote_support=RMQVC  (STRING)
# Purpose: remove these -Z options from options list on outgoing or filters
#   default remove_z=  (STRING)
# Purpose: report server as this value for LPQ status
#   default report_server_as=  (STRING)
# Purpose: client requires lpd.conf, printcap
#   default require_configfiles  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: retry on ECONNREFUSED error
#   default retry_econnrefused  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: retry making connection even when link is down
#   default retry_nolink  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: return short status when specified remotehost
#   default return_short_status=  (STRING)
# Purpose: set SO_REUSEADDR on outgoing ports
#   default reuse_addr@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: reverse LPQ status format when specified remotehost
#   default reverse_lpq_status=  (STRING)
# Purpose: reverse priority order, z-aZ-A, so A is lowest
#   default reverse_priority_order@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: remote-queue machine (hostname) (with rp)
#   default rm=  (STRING)
# Purpose: routing filter, returns destinations
#   default router=  (STRING)
# Purpose: remote-queue printer name (with rp)
#   default rp=  (STRING)
# Purpose: open the printer for reading and writing
#   default rw@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: additional safe characters to use in control files
#   default safe_chars=  (STRING)
# Purpose: save job when an error
#   default save_on_error@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: save job when done
#   default save_when_done@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: short banner (one line only)
#   default sb@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: spool directory (only ONE printer per directory!)
#   default sd=  (STRING)
# Purpose: send block of data, rather than individual files
#   default send_block_format@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: send data files first, then control file
#   default send_data_first@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: failure action to take after send_try attempts failed
#   default send_failure_action=remove  (STRING)
# Purpose: timeout for read/write lpr IO operatons
#   default send_job_rw_timeout=6000  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: timeout for read/write status or control operatons
#   default send_query_rw_timeout=30  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: numbers of times to try sending job - 0 is infinite
#   default send_try=3  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: sendmail program
#   default sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t  (STRING)
# Purpose: server temporary file directory
#   default server_tmp_dir=/tmp  (STRING)
# Purpose: no form feed separator between job files
#   default sf  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: suppress headers and/or banner page
#   default sh@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: SHELL enviornment variable value for filters
#   default shell=/bin/sh  (STRING)
# Purpose: short status date enabled or disabled
#   default short_status_date  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: short status length in lines
#   default short_status_length=3  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: set the SO_LINGER socket option
#   default socket_linger=10  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: spool directory permissions
#   default spool_dir_perms=000700  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: spool file permissions
#   default spool_file_perms=000600  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: name of queue that server serves (with sv)
#   default ss=  (STRING)
# Purpose: stalled job timeout
#   default stalled_time=120  (INTEGER)
# Purpose: stop processing queue on filter abort
#   default stop_on_abort@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: stty commands to set output line characteristics
#   default stty=  (STRING)
# Purpose: suspend the OF filter rather than suspending
#   default suspend_of_filter  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: names of servers for queue (with ss)
#   default sv=  (STRING)
# Purpose: name of syslog device
#   default syslog_device=/dev/console  (STRING)
# Purpose: trailer string to print when queue empties
#   default tr=  (STRING)
# Purpose: translate outgoing job file formats - similar to tr(1) utility
#   default translate_format=  (STRING)
# Purpose: translate incoming job file formats - similar to tr(1) utility
#   default translate_incoming_format=  (STRING)
# Purpose: put date in control file
#   default use_date  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: put identifier in control file
#   default use_identifier  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: read and cache information
#   default use_info_cache  (FLAG on)
# Purpose: put queue name in control file
#   default use_shorthost@ (FLAG off)
# Purpose: server user for SUID purposes
#   default user= daemon   (STRING)
# Purpose: wait for EOF on device before closing
#   default wait_for_eof  (FLAG on)

==============D74633A71CEF4266F2D8A7F3==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Backup Hard Drive...
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:18:39 GMT

On 1 Dec 2000 21:08:11 GMT, Joshua Baker-LePain
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.hardware Martin Gregorie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 1 Dec 2000 12:56:45 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (Volker Apelt) wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations for archiving backup software for Linux?
>
>amanda (www.amanda.org) is rather nice.  It takes a bit to set up, but
>once you do, it practically maintains itself.

Thabks for the recommendations. It loks as if Amanda is the way to go
(at first, anyway) because the ability to backup a PC via SAMBA would
be very useful.

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Xfree problems?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:18:49 GMT

Hi:

  I have a pentium IImmx 200MHz machine with a video card S3 Inc
ViRGE/DX PCI with 2MB video RAM. It has a Windows 95 partition and a
linux partition (RedHat 6.1).

   Since some weeks ago I have problems with Netscape Communicator
running linux. When I try to access to some web pages it crashes and it
crashes the machine, both the X as the linux itself. Sometimes it
reboots automatically.

   One webpage that never fails is: www.multimania.com (A french free
web server). It always crashes.

  Now I have Communicator 4.72, but previously I had the 4.61 version,
and it was the same thing. With Mozilla 17 the behaviour is similar, it
takes a little bit more to crash, but it crashes.

 Besides If from my computer I run a Communicator session in other
machine, and I try to go to the cited page, my computer crashes but the
other, the machine that is running Communicator, does not crash.

 Nevertheless using Windows95 and Communicator 4.08 I can read the cited
page without problems and without crashes.

 So I thought that I have a problem with XFree: (XFree86.3.3.5-3 and
XFree86-SVGA.3.3.5-3) and I upgraded to  version 3.3.6 (XFree86.3.3.6-20
and XFree86-SVGA.3.3.6-20), but it is the same thing.

 Has somebody had a similar problem?. Any clue?.

 Cheers
         Ramón

From: "Maurizio Stefani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LINUX pn PC104
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:34:29 +0100

Hi,
I would like to use Linux on a PC104 system without hard-disk.

Is there someone able to help saying if is it possibile?
If yes could I have the ref.

Thank you in advance

** Maurizio Stefani
**
**
** ELE.SI.A. S.r.l.
** ISO 9001 CERTIFIED
** Tel. 39.06.8813320 (int 221) / Fax 39.06.8813352
** http://www.elesia.it

From: nospam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: literature database / BiBTeX frontend?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:55:33 +0100

Stephen Cornell wrote:

> nospam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Is there a comparable application for X or the KDE desktop? I thought of
> > using LyX, but don't know whether a good literature managment program
> > exists and whether I can use them with LyX. The idea is to be able to
> > search a literature database, and to easily copy the citations suitable
> > found into the manuscript.
>
> Lyx works fine with Bibtex - whenever you insert a citation reference
> the entries in your database are available in a popup.  Bibtex
> databases are text files, so you can create and search them using your
> favourite text editor, or alternatively you can use a GUI Bibtex
> management program such as Barracuda (crude but it works).  You can
> paste entries from any X application into Lyx using the mouse (left
> button selects, middle button pastes).
>
> HTH,
> Stephen.

Thank you for the answer and the hint with Barracuda. What I really would
like is a database program in which I have more powerful search options. I
am currently managing >10'000 literature references including abstracts and
other informations... Searching this dataset with a simple text editor
simply is not appropriate. Aren't there true database applications which
would do that?

Pascal

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is It Possible to Mount a DOS Partition?
Date: 5 Dec 2000 07:50:48 true

  Roger Beeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:00:55 -0500, wrote :

RB> "D. Stimits" wrote:
RB>
RB> > mount -tvfat /dev/hda2 /xyz
RB> >
RB> > If that fails, be sure you have vfat filesystem type supported in your
RB> > kernel (directly or as a module).
RB>
RB> What is the difference between < mount -tvfat > and < mount -t msdos >?

mount -t msdos := filenames are like MS-DOS 6.2 -- 8+3
mount -t vfat  := filenames are like Win9x      -- long names

RB> And if you'd be so kind, what is the correct command for mounting the
RB> cdrom (my /dev/hdd)?

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom

Note:  some randomly good things to put in your /etc/fstab file:

/dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy    vfat        user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd  /mnt/cdrom     iso9660     user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda2 /xyz           vfat        umask=000   0 0

The first two allow any user to mount and umount the floppy (as a vfat
file system) or the CD-ROM (as an iso9660 file system).  The third will
mount your MS-Windows file system (/dev/hda2) at boot time and make it
world read/write.

Putting this in /etc/fstab makes things easier:

1) Your MS-Windows partition is always available.
2) You don't have to remember (complicated) stuff to mount and unmount
   the floppy and CD-ROM.  You just do:

   (u)mount /mnt/floppy
   (u)mount /mnt/cdrom

   Whenever you need to mount/unmount these devices (don't forget to
umount the floppy before ejecting it!)

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]