From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Buffer Cache vs. Page Cache?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:40:48 -0400

I'm a little (or a lot) confused on the difference between
the buffer cache and the page cache.

First- which is caching file reads?  If I'm reading this
right, it's the pagecache, but then what's the buffer cache
for?

Second, "dmesg | grep cache" shows me  sizes for these, but
I'm not clear how those relate to what I see in /proc/sys/vm
for buffermem and pagecache - the documentation explains
that the numbers I'm seeing are percentages, but they don't
seem to relate intelligently on systems I've looked at..

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: Lev Bronstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: X screensaver configuration problem
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:30:11 GMT

I've been having difficulty with X on my laptop.  I finally configured
it correctly, then when I got into X changed the background,
screensaver, etc. and when I logged in again, the screen was completely
screwed up.  Basically, the menu boxes were all "invisible" and the
screen wasn't redrawing correctly.  X works ok with a 320x200 display,
but that's too large to be wieldy.

So, my question is if there is anyway I can restore the default
configuration for X from the shell (I tried re-installing all of linux,
with no luck).

Many thanks,

--
--Lev

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Boening)
Subject: CDRecord and Yamaha CDR 100 - no go? (long)
Date: 18 Aug 2000 13:41:58 GMT

Hello everyone,

recently I came into a Yamaha CDR 100 CD-Writer and
am now trying to use it with Linux to write CD-Roms
(what else :-)). However, I am stuck with a major problem.

The setup I have is a Penitum II 400 PC, pretty much
standard, with 256 MB RAM, a BusLogig BT-948 PCI
SCSI Host Adapter (Firmware Version  5.06I) and
said YAMAHA CDR 100 in an external case with a 0.5m
SCSI cable for connection.

Software-wise, I'm running Slackware 7.0 with
kernel version 2.2.16 and using cdrecord 1.9.

Now, when I try writing an ISO image in a dummy run, everything
seems to work fine. This is the "dummy" session:

# cdrecord -v -v dev=0,2,0 speed=4 -dummy fa-99059907.iso
Using libscg transport code version 'schily-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.52'
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 J<F6>rg Schilling
Using remote (pipe) mode for interactive i/o.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,2,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 2 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.38
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
atapi: 0
Device type    : Removable WORM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'YAMAHA  '
Identifikation : 'CDR100          '
Revision       : '1.12'
Device seems to be: Yamaha CDR-100.
Using driver for Yamaha CDR-100 / CDR-102 (yamaha_cdr100).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
cdrecord: Warning: blockdesc secsize 2048 differs from cap secsize 0
Track 01: data  596 MB
track: 1 start: 0 pregap: 150
Total size:     685 MB (67:55.17) = 305638 sectors
Lout start:     685 MB (67:57/13) = 305638 sectors
 41 00 00 14 00 00 00 00
 41 01 00 10 00 00 00 00
 41 01 01 10 00 00 02 00
 41 AA 01 14 00 43 39 0D
Current Secsize: 2048
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in dummy mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 1 seconds.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01: ... 596 of 596 MB written (fifo 100%)
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 625942528/625942528 (305636 sectors).
Writing  time: 1028.510s
Fixating...
Fixating time:   70.346s
cdrecord: fifo had 9860 puts and 9860 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 9793 times full, min fill was 96%.

However, when I now try the same without the '-dummy' in order to write
for real, this happens:

# cdrecord -v -v dev=0,2,0 speed=4 fa-99059907.iso
[...]
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... cdrecord: Input/output error
. philips write_track: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
input buffer ready.
CDB:  E6 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 82 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x82 Qual 0x00 (command now not valid) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 20.497s timeout 40s
Writing  time:   20.524s
Fixating...
cdrecord: Input/output error. philips fixation: scsi sendcmd: retryable error
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
CDB:  E9 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 82 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x82 Qual 0x00 (command now not valid) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 480s
Fixating time:    0.002s
cdrecord: Input/output error. prevent/allow medium removal: scsi sendcmd: retrya
ble error
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
CDB:  1E 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 82 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x82 Qual 0x00 (command now not valid) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.002s timeout 40s
cdrecord: fifo had 64 puts and 0 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

After that, I can't eject the caddy holding the writable medium unless I power
off the drive, because the "prevent/allow medium removal" seems to prevent
medium removal rather well.

So my question is: how can I still use the Yamaha for writing (it is
allegedly supported by cdrecord 1.9) - are there options or paramaters
I need to set?

TIA,
Martin
--
Martin Boening, MB3792    | EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's in walking
distance.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kill -9 won't work!
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:44:38 -0400

That's "kill -s 9 " , mon ami!

news:8nitjt$7l4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: Re: trackers for linux, dosemu and dos trackers
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:43:24 GMT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:45:38 GMT, Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Visit www.freshmeat.net and do a search ( I used S3M
>as the search key ). There is a program called
>'Rapid Audio Tracker', described as 'A rapid audio
>tracker similar to Fast Tracker, but in real time.'

VoodooTracker is another nice one. However, to be brutally honest,
they still aren't at the same level as FastTracker or Impulse Tracker.
In fact, I just started playing with a new tracker for Windows called
MadTracker.

One of the coolest things about MadTracker is that it can apply
effects to tracks (delay, filter, distortion). In addition, the
interface is very friendly if you are used to trackers already. (If
you aren't, then have fun.)

------------------------------

From: GianPiero Puccioni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.list
Subject: Problems with Big partitions?
Date: 18 Aug 2000 13:49:13 GMT

Hi,
I am having some problem with a big (~ 50 Gbytes) ext2 partition, and I
wonder if there is somewhere a limit (I have heard that the limit is 2048
Gig but maybe there is something else...).

The system is:

OS    RedHat 6.1 (no X-win on a separate IDE disk)
disc  SEAGATE  Model: ST150176LW
scsi   Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI

the partition is (given by sfdisk -s /dev/sda1)
48845601
the filesystem is (given by df)
/dev/sda1             48078504  10178036  35458188  22% /vol00

what happens is that after a while that the system is running I start
getting Input/Output errors on that partition and can't read it anymore,
can't umount it and I have to shutdown the system, but shutdown can't
umount it so it fsck it on restart finds no error and everything works
fine (for a while )after that. That filesystem is accessed mainly through
NFS (read-only) from other Linux and Win(through Samba) systems. I have
run a "Verify" from the SCSI BIOS without errors.

Any idea what can cause this problem?

Thanks,
          GianPiero
--
*  Istituto Nazionale di Ottica                        GianPiero Puccioni  *
*  Largo E.Fermi 6                           E-Mail :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          *

------------------------------

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound and Gnome
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:46:45 -0500

I think I remember seeing a post about playing sounds (specifically
.wav's) in Gnome and I was wondering if anyone has a reference to that
thread.  I couldn't find it from the Deja.com Power Search (I may just
not have been looking hard enough, but I really did try).

Or maybe someone can help with my problem.  I'm running Gnome
(Helixcode's distro; just downloaded it the other day) with the Sawfish
window manager under RedHat 6.2, and it won't play .wav's (specifically
my ICQ event sounds--yes, sound is enabled in my ICQ client), but it
will play my CD audio and the window manager event sounds, so I know
it's not my sound card, nor is it sounds being turned off...unless
there's another sounds option I didn't turn on.

Thanks!
Stephen.

--
Stephen Hui, ARL:UT, Austin, Texas

Computer Terms: Programmer - A red-eyed, mumbling mammal
capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

------------------------------

From: Kati Gäbler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: 1) Fvwmrc and 2) mv command
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:58:32 +0200

Thanks everyone for the great many replies. I've got plenty of options
to try out now.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robaire)
Subject: Re: New User: INSTAL ON WIN98 (FAT32) partition
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:02:06 GMT

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:26:35 +0200, Peter Lairo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Snip already excellent questions and answers ...
>
>11. would installing Linux to fat32 greatly hamper Quake3 performance
>under Linux (OK, i outed myself as a gamer)?
>
>From memory ( so I can't guarantee this ), according to a televised
Linux guru ( Philippe Ethier ) Quake is slower on Linux than on
Windows - I expect because of X.

Maybe a real action gamer can help you out on this (I'm into Civ)

Robaire

------------------------------

From: Stephen Hui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 08:59:48 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a process running on one of my servers that has obviously gone
> mad, so I wanted to kill it. But even kill -9 doesn't make it go away
> and it continues eating cpu time. Is there an alternative (low level)
> way of killing processes or do I have to reboot the server?
>
> Thanks in advance for helping.
>
> Christian

Of course, if all else fails,

    reboot

or, if you prefer

    shutdown -r now

usually does the trick.  ;o)

Stephen.

From: "Robichaud, Jean-Philippe [BAN:6S33:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,linux.redhat.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Interesting kernel configuration question
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:49:25 -0400

Hi everybody

        This message is posted in a lot of newsgroup because it touch a lot of
them.  Here is my problem :

        I have created a ramdisk so it can be a root partition (/dev/* /proc
and so on).  How can I tell the kernel to use the ramdisk as the root
partition ?  I've try to create a nod with both major and minor numbers
at 0 and do a rdev vmlinuz dummy, but it fails.  All I want is to get my
kernel booting diskless.  I send the kernel and the ramdisk via pxe and
everything works fine till the kernel try to mount its root partition.
Again,  how can I tell the kernel to use the ramdisk ?  (rdev vmlinuz
/dev/ram0 also failed).

        Thanks a lot for your help

                        jean-philippe
--
        Jean-Philippe Robichaud
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Thomas Booms EDV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with user account
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:09:08 +0200

Hi all,

when I log on with a user name at the server machine there's no prob. If
I will log on with the same name from a workstation which imported via
nfs some file systems I cannot log on.

I use SuSE Linux 6.2. In /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow there's no entry
with the user name I will log on.

I understand why I cannot log in on the workstation, but I don't
understand why I can do it at the server machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: "Robichaud, Jean-Philippe [BAN:6S33:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel challenge
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:16:58 -0400

Hi everyone  !

        Simple question, big challenge : I do I force the kernel to use the
ramdisk as its root partition at BOOT time ?  I've try rdev vmlinuz
/dev/ram0 -> fails and rdev vmlinuz dummy where dummy is a nod I've
created with major and minor both at 0.

        What should I do so that the kernel use the initial ramdisk as the root
partition ?

        Thanks

                jp
--
        Jean-Philippe Robichaud
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "T. Odensson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PC-NFS
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:44:26 -0500

I need help configuring PC-NFS on Redhat Linux.  I looked in the
documentation Project and all it said was not to use it, use SAMBA instead.
I need PC-NFS to solve my problem, SAMBA will not work.  Can someone point
me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
T. Odensson

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
T. Odensson
A+, CNA, MCP+I, MCSE
odensson98 at yahoo dot com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

------------------------------

Subject: Re: STTY and ERASE
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Aug 2000 10:51:02 -0400

Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > what does backspace mean as an ascii character?  originially it was a
> > command sent to the printer/card punch to back up the writing head one
> > step.  this was in preparation for the overstrike <del> which would
> > clobber the char and mark it as ignorable.  thus you had to send
> > <bs> *and then* <del> to actually rubout a mistake char.  today we are
> > left with one of them.  which is correct?
>
> I recall it differently (and someone reminded me recently):
>       <del> would mark the previous character as delete.
> but it's been quite a while since I used hardcopy terminals.

i think this stuff comes from the card puncher days.  a lot of the
weird ascii control codes seem to stem from card whalloping.

card rules:

you have 7 spots in a column on the paper where you could have a
hole or not.

lack of hole indicates a 0.

a hole in the paper is 1.

the paper started out without holes.

once you make a hole you cannot fill it in again.

an unwritten card column is octal 0 and thus can mean "end of string".

let all holes mean "ignore this char".

some observations:

<del> is octal 177 and thus punches out every possible hole.

you could thus always obliterate any meaningful char by punching every
hole (whether it needed it not)

backspace would bring you back on top of the previous char.

thus to kill a char, you would 1) backup over it and 2) delete it.

something would have to issue the <bs> to backup the puncher head and
then you issue the <del> to clobber the column under the writing head.
notice that the <bs> did not wipe out the last character, it merely
moved the writing head over it.

just punching <del> in a blank column is fairly useless.  thus this
was later optimized down to one char.  since if you hit <del> you
"obviously" wanted to move back a step and then clobber.

unfortunately, no one agreed on whether to keep the <bs> or the <del>
once the days of card whalloping were over.

again, this is much like the <cr> <lf> stuff.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Aug 2000 06:14:50 -0800

Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> what does backspace mean as an ascii character?  originially it was a
>> command sent to the printer/card punch to back up the writing head one
>> step.  this was in preparation for the overstrike <del> which would
>> clobber the char and mark it as ignorable.  thus you had to send
>> <bs> *and then* <del> to actually rubout a mistake char.  today we are
>> left with one of them.  which is correct?
>
>I recall it differently (and someone reminded me recently):
>       <del> would mark the previous character as delete.
>but it's been quite a while since I used hardcopy terminals.

Probably true on hardcopy terminals, but he is going back even
farther than that, to tape punches.  The BS key would backspace
the tape, the DEL key would punch all holes, thus deleting
whatever had been punched previously.

(Regardless, on my terminal the key labeled "Backspace" most
certainly does NOT send a control-H character, and neiher does
the "Delete" key.  Hence typing ^H in Emacs to switch to help
mode is hardly any kind of a significant problem.)

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: Charles H. Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:45:15 -0400

Andrew N. McGuire  wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, NF Stevens quoth:
> ~~ Then emacs is broken. ^H is in the ascii character set as backspace.
> ~~ If a piece of software cannot even adhere to the most basic standards
> ~~ then it should fixed.
>
> I am curious, which standard would that be?

That "backspace" (0x8) always deletes the character before the cursor and
delete (0x7f) always deletes the character the cursor is on.  For all its
other faults, at least every single Windows program adheres to this
standard and there's no reason why Linux/Unix programs couldn't do the
same.

Chuck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Mercer)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: remote host
Date: 18 Aug 2000 14:46:37 GMT

In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.0008181153210.19368-100000@acms23>,
"Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi all
>
> Back to rlogins... I want to automatically setup the DISPLAY env. variable
> for remote logins. It's quite easy (?) for just one remote login. But if
> there are more? Say, you are sitting at the terminal of A. You remotely
> login to B. From it (for whatever reason) you login to C... Can anyone
> setup the DISPLAY to A:0.0?

What I do is wrapper rlogin to pass the DISPLAY with the TERM var,
since rlogin passes TERM.  Then the .profile puts everything back together
again:

in ksh:

   alias rlogin='$TERM="$TERM $DISPLAY" rlogin'

in the .profile

   case $0 in
       */sh) set -- $TERM;TERM=$1;DISPLAY=$2;shift $#;;
      */ksh) set -A TERM -- $TERM;DISPLAY=${TERM[1]};;
   esac
   export TERM DISPLAY

--
Dan Mercer