Linux-Misc Digest #513, Volume #25               Mon, 21 Aug 00 11:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: FTP message Question (Garry Knight)
  Re: win on linux, good or bad??? (Tony Lawrence)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (-ljl-)
  Re: tape mount and file system type? (Tony Lawrence)
  Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article (David Steuber)
  Re: Dialup routing (Dustin Puryear)
  Re: converting linux to dos-text-files ??? (Martha H Adams)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Linux Promo Materials (Dustin Puryear)
  Re: Trouble with Linux. (John Hasler)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Koos Pol)
  Timestamp problem with VFAT files. (Charles Sullivan)
  Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2 (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: gcc problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: New user - Problem with menuconfig. (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article (Matthew Lybanon)
  Re: LILO re-install question (Garry Knight)
  Re: Lost Hard Drive Space (Garry Knight)
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Garry Knight)
  Lotus Notes (Mail Server with Linux) ("someone")
  Re: marking 'bad' sectors? (Leonard Evens)

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP message Question
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:54:52 +0100

I've just noticed the following line in /etc/ftpaccess:
  message /welcome.msg         login

As I indicated earlier, I don't know anything about setting up an FTP server,
but maybe this has something to do with it.

--
Garry Knight

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: win on linux, good or bad???
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:22:11 -0400

Davis Eric wrote:

> Hi, there,
>
> Just curious about the attitudes on running windows apps on Linux. Is
> this a trendency? Just curious about this.

Unfortunately, it's sometimes a necessity.  Well, maybe
necessity is too strong, but the alternatives can be too
painful.  For example, I can live without Word, Excel and
everything else- but I use Quickbooks (not Quicken) for my
business, and I "need" that.  I can, could, will someday,
write all the functionality I need  myself, but I just can't
get around to it, so I run Win4Lin (
http://pcunix.com/Reviews/win4lin.html ).

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 08:30:26 -0400

Adrian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Actually, I think Mandrake is a scaled-UP version of Red Hat.  It is
> > made by some outfit in France, and has some enhancements.
> > However, I believe the basics are the same, so RPM's compiled for one
> > should work with the other --
> >
> > Never trust a man in a suit --
> >
> > cll
> That's not true....
> The mandrake optimizes the system to i586 version, if you use the
> Mandrake RPM in Redhat, it might be problems.  But the reverse is OK

which seems rather pointless since the classic pentium stopped being
produced nearly three years ago.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:44:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Quentin Christensen) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty new to linux, so please excuse me if this is a stupid
question :)

> I have linux (slackware 7.0) on a partition of my hard drive, but the
hard
> drive has a couple of bad sectors here and there.

My experiences with drives is that this is an eary warning of things
to come.  If the drive is still under warranty (usually 3-5 years)
replace it.

Personally I wouldn't trust the drive for anything important.

That said try "man badblocks"; beware if you run badblocks a second
time it will still report the blocks as bad but they are the same ones.
Play with it using a diskette.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tape mount and file system type?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:54:16 -0400

teverett wrote:

> hey all,
>                 can anyone tell me how to mount a dat tape with a unix
> media and recover a tar file from it?  im currently using Redhat 6.1.
> ive tried every option in the "man mount" files,  but when i try to
> mount the tape the return always tells me to specify the filesystem
> type.  does anyone have any experience in this?  thanks in advance for
> any help!!!   :)

You don't mount a tar tape.

To succesfully restore a file, you first want to know how
the archive was created: relative or absolute.  To do this,
run

tar tvf /dev/whateveryourtapenodeis | head

You'll get back either:

file1
file2
..

or

./file1
./file2
..

or

/file1
/file2
..

or even

//file1
//file2
..

The first two are relative forms, and if you restored either
the entire archive

tar xvf /dev/nameofyourtapenode

or a particular file

tar xvf /dev/nameofyourtapenode file2

The files would end up in your current directory, which may
not be whereyou want them.

With some tars you have to be specific, and need to match
exactly how it was stored:
tar xvf /dev/nameofyourtapenode ./file2

Conversely, if the archive was created with absolute paths,
a restore of

tar xvf /dev/nameofyourtapenode

will put everything back where it originally was, which
again may not be what you want: there is a flag

tar xAvf /dev/nameofyourtapenode

that will suppress the leading "/"'s and let you restore
relative to your current directory.

And again, some tars require explicit naming: if it was
saved as //home/james/file , you need to say

tar xvf /dev/nameofyourtapenode //home/james/file

and if it was saved as /home/james/file , you need to say

Subject: Re: Reality Check - NY Times Article
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:00:04 GMT

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' In other words, the success of "linux stocks" does not necessarily follow
' from the success of Linux as an operating system.

I would say that the two are completely unrelated.  The companies are
the ones that make the distributions that the sell for minor dollars
to hobbyists or even large companies (who only need one copy, but may
buy more for convinience).  There is not a lot of money to be made in
that.  Too few people are buying the distributions at full price.

The other revenue stream is in support contracts.  Unfortunately,
offering good support requires a rather expensive infrastructure.  So,
again, money is not really going to be made in that.  Not much,
anyway.

' Linux is not a company.  The only way to "invest" in it is to use it.  It
' would be quite possible for Linux to displace Windows as the dominant pc OS
' while the "linux stocks" languish.

Exactly.

None of my systems even have Windows installed.  I currently only have
three machines.  That number will probably grow over time.  As long as
the hardware works, I will be using it.

My newest machine is a home built box.  I purchased the components
seperatly with Linux in mind.  I assembled the box and saved almost no
money over purchasing a pre-built system.  I did save a little.  I
then spent a bunch of time setting up the software that I need on it.
I didn't buy a new distribution with the latest bells and whistles.
Instead, I used SuSE 6.2 as a jumping off point to build the latest
packages from source, starting with GCC 2.95.2.

This machine will be located at my ISP when it is ready.  I am still
doing programming that makes it convinient to have the machine within
walking distance.  All my configuration and programming is being done
over the network.  The machine runs headless just fine.

I hope to make money with this machine.  The odds are pretty long on
that.  Still, I don't have to worry about what little money I may make
offsetting the cost of Microsoft software.  It will be going agianst
the cost of the hardware.

As for my time spent, that is something I can charge myself zero
dollars for.  I have more time than money at the moment, so going this
route is actually the only fiscally sound choice for me anyway.

Even if I don't make any money at all off of my web server (that is
what I am building), I will have one hell of an online resume for my
skills in an area that is just begging for competent people.  I would
say that building an entire website from the hardware on up to the
HTML that you see on the browser is a solid demonstration of skills.

Yes, I am investing in Linux.  I am investing heavily in it.  I am
also investing in several GNU products, Apache, PHP, Perl, and other
open source (not the tm), free (beer and liberty) software packages
that will be the foundation of my websites.  Of course, with what I am
doing, Linux could just as easily be replaced by FreeBSD.  Linux is
just a kernel after all.  Could Windows be used to do what I am doing?
Yes, but at a much higher cost.

--
David Steuber | "Are you now, or have you ever been, a member
NRA Member    | of the NRA?" --- HUAC, 2004

Happiness is a SAAB Gripen <http://www.gripen.saab.se/> in the
garage, an FN-FAL in the safe, and an HK P7M8 on the hip.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: Re: Dialup routing
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:00:14 GMT

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 13:03:37 -0400, "Rinaldi J. Montessi"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've been using Samba, ipchains (ipfwadm), and PPP for years in a
>small network.  Once samba is set up
>http://plug.phoenix.az.us/step-by-step/samba/toc.html look for some
>working examples of tcp wrappers (hosts.allow, hosts.deny, ipchains)
>unless you're really into man pages.  The how to's also help, but
>many web sites give working examples which are much easier for me to
>understand.

I don't understand how Samba and tcp_wrappers helps the original
poster?

---
Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Author of "Integrate Linux Solutions into Your Windows Network"
The Baton Rouge Linux User Group - http://www.brlug.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martha H Adams)
Subject: Re: converting linux to dos-text-files ???
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:05:02 GMT

I swap files back and forth between Linux and msdos frequently.  My way
to do this without the ^M problem is to use the `unzip' utility.  I zip
the files in Linux and msdos using the local `zip' utility.  I move the
file (which may be a small tree) to my other OS and unzip it using the
-a option in msdos and the -aL options going back to Linux:

     -a  says unzip using local system options
      L  says unzip into Linux making filenames lowercase

The L option is needed only for going into Linux, because the msdos thinks
exclusively in uppercase for filenames.

The msdos version of `unzip' comes from some CDROM of utilities that I have
from somewhere -- I don't remember where.  My msdos zip is a pkzip of long
residence here -- I also don't recall where.  (My msdos system is a real
old-timer, I think version 6.1.)

The principal difficulty I have here, is msdos starts getting huffy when I
try to work with text files over about 60K.  Which is why I'm doing most of
my work in Linux now.

Cheers -- Martha Adams

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 09:06:25 -0400

"Tom Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Radix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there...
> >
> > I was recently told that mandrake was just a scaled down version
> > of Red Hat... Does that mean that Red Hat  makes Mandrake????
> > The same person told me that all the basic utility (the ones that
> > are tailored by Red Hat) are the same for both distro....  Is any
> > of this true???  Thanks...
> >
> > Sincerely...
>
>    Mandrake was originally based on RedHat, but no longer is.
> Major differences is RH is i386, Mandrake is optimized for i586
> (eg, Pentium class or better).

wrong.  it means tuned for classic pentium.  i585 is *not* i686.
this means it is *mis*tuned for i686.

> What this basically means is if
> Mandrake runs on your hardware, it's great.

what it means is if you have a classic pentium, it's great.  it won't
work at all on old boxen using i386 and i486.  it's sub-optimal on
pentiumpro, celeron, pentium-ii, pentium-iii, &c.  in fact, compiling
for i586 and running on i686 is *worse* than if you had compiled tuned
for i386 or i486.

> If you have a 486 or
> marginal hardware, better stick with RH ;>

if you have i386, i486, i686 better stick with redhat.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: Re: Linux Promo Materials
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:03:58 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:53:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>The Omaha Linux User Group (OLUG) is planning a installfest in October.
>We usually have decent turnout for these (50+ newbies).
>
>Does anyone know if the major distros (RedHat, Suse, etc) ever provide
>promo materials for these things? If so, who would I contact?

Actually, they all supply this type of material. Go to each website
and find the area responsible for LUG assistance. In general, each
distro will send you a few free boxed-sets, a lot of their minimal
CD's, flyers, and more.

You can try other organizations as well, such as LinuxMall and most
book publishers. Note however that I've had problems with LinuxMall --
consider your first package your last unless you are very persistent.

---

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble with Linux.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:06:21 GMT

Davide writes:
> Basically no.

No For Red Hat and derivatives, yes for Debian and its derivatives.

> If you want to install a package that depends from other packages, you
> must be sure that all the packages are installed into your system.

In Debian apt takes care of that automatically.  Just type
'apt-get install package' and apt will figure out all the dependencies and
install all the rwuired packages.

Debian 2.2 was released last week.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Koos Pol)
Date: 21 Aug 2000 13:41:48 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:56:53 +0800, Kichi Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Quentin Christensen wrote:
| >
| >Is there anything like scandisk for linux, to find and mark sectors as bad (or
| >however linux does it, I must look that up...)?
|
| Try using fsck. For e2fs, you stat it with the command e2fsck :-)
| For documentation: man fsck

Wrong. fsck will only check logical filesystem structures. You need a program
that can check raw disk blocks. I ran into a post of someone mentioning a
tool named "badblocks" or something alike (running under Linux). You may try
looking at freshmeat for this. Also some SCSI adapters give you a "disk
verify" option. This can be found in some IDE repair programs as well.
Usually the IDE disk manufacturers have these kind of programs in the
"Download Area". They are usually DOS programs, but that doesn't really
matter.

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DISK!

Koos Pol
S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. - Amsterdam
T:+31 20 3116122   F:+31 20 3116200   E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check my email address when you hit "Reply".

------------------------------

From: Charles Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Timestamp problem with VFAT files.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:02:03 GMT

I want to give specific users full read/write access to a VFAT
partition while denying access to all others.  I tried assigning
these users to the group which can access the VFAT.  They in
fact get read/write permission but cannot preserve the file timestamp
when copying a file from Linux to the VFAT partition, nor modify
the timestamp of the VFAT file.

Is there any way around this?

Here's the directory entry for the VFAT partition:
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   2 May  5  1998 /dev/hda1

Here's the entry I made in /etc/fstab
/dev/hda1  /dosc  vfat  auto,users,umask=007,uid=0,gid=6   0   0

(Where  uid=0 is owner 'root' and gid=6 is group 'disk')

User 'harry' is added to group 'disk' in file /etc/group
disk:x:6:root,harry

Now user 'harry' can read and write to the VFAT partition,
however if 'harry' attempts to preserve the file timestamp when
copying a file from Linux to the VFAT partition, it doesn't work.

E.g.,
[bash harry]$ cp -p test.txt /dosc
cp: preserving times for /dosc/test.txt: Operation not permitted

and a directory listing for /dosc/test.txt shows that the file
has been copied but the timestamp has not been preserved.

An attempt by user 'harry' to change the timestamp by using
the 'touch' command fails similarly with the same message.

The problem does not exist when the VFAT file is mounted
with the user as owner, e.g., with the /etc/fstab entry
/dev/hda1  /dosc  vfat  auto,users,umask=007   0   0

but then all users have read/write access.

I am using RedHat 6.2.  The same problem exists with the
distribution kernel (2.2.14-5.0) and with kernel 2.4.0-test5.

Regards,
Charles Sullivan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:05:28 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:16:03 +0100, Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm trying to setup Internet connection sharing with OpenLinux 2.2

>I've set up the windows NT machine with Default gateway 192.168.1.1 -
>the linux box ....
>
>what am I doing wrong ???

Maybe you could tell us what the problem is.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:16:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Kullstam) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>which seems rather pointless since the classic pentium stopped being
>produced nearly three years ago.

Oh well, but the "optimization" would still apply to the later generation
Pentiums, plus K5, K6's and up. Even if the performance gain is minimal.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22718452
Steenstrupsgate 5 B     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:29:33 GMT

On 21 Aug 2000 13:41:48 GMT, Koos Pol
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:56:53 +0800, Kichi Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>| On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Quentin Christensen wrote:
>| >
>| >Is there anything like scandisk for linux, to find and mark sectors as bad (or
>| >however linux does it, I must look that up...)?
>|
>| Try using fsck. For e2fs, you stat it with the command e2fsck :-)
>| For documentation: man fsck
>|

>Wrong. fsck will only check logical filesystem structures. You need a program
>that can check raw disk blocks. I ran into a post of someone mentioning a
>tool named "badblocks" or something alike (running under Linux). You may try

e2fsck -c will do the same thing as badblocks. At least recent versions
will. See man page.

--
Hal B

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 10:32:13 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik) writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johan Kullstam) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >which seems rather pointless since the classic pentium stopped being
> >produced nearly three years ago.
>
> Oh well, but the "optimization" would still apply to the later generation
> Pentiums, plus K5, K6's and up.

this assumption would be wrong.

> Even if the performance gain is
> minimal.

it's not minimal -- it's *negative*.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: gcc problems
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:26:21 GMT

I have the same types of problems with gcc
(egcs-2.91.66) while compiling apache under RedHat
6.2. It keeps on displaying error messages like
"/usr/include/bits/ioctls.h :24: asm/ioctls.h" and
the correct path should induce a loop (!!?) so I
don't know what to do to solve this problem.
I'm sorry that I'm not able to help you with your
problem as I'm quite novice with linux but I'll be
very gratefull if you could bring me any
information.
Thanks
Stéph

In article <8no9gu$kbv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Bosco Curtu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I am doing my thesis for the university.
Actually I did it, it was an
> application that run in a UltraSparc, with
Solaris... The application is in
> C and TCL/TK
> Now I want to make it run in LINUX, and I have
some problems when I try to
> compile. If you could help me with anyone of
them, please...
> I am using gcc version egcs-2.91.66., but I have
no idea which version is
> UltraSparc's one.
>
> 1. When I compiled in UltraSparc I used -G
option. What is it for? What is
> the equivalent in Linux gcc?
> 2. I also used -R option, but I think I should
use -l, to link libraries,
> shouldn't it?
> 3. The biggest problem I have is the next one:
when I compile any program (a
> simple "hello world" for example), with: gcc
hello.c, it reports me an
> error: /usr/bin/ld error: cannot open crti.o
>     What is it? (my ld version is 2.9.1)
> 4. Perhaps my problems come from the standard C
library. I don't know where
> it should be, but I am using one I have found in
/usr/i586-glibc20-linux.
> What is this lib or package???? How can I set
the library up to work with it
> correctly (currently, to compile "hello world",
I have to write

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: New user - Problem with menuconfig.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:49:10 GMT

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:11:46 -0600, JD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am new to linux and want to rebuild the kernal. I am using caldera open
>linux 2.2.10. I have installed the kernal source code linux-source-common
>and linux-source-i386. When I change to the directory /usr/src/linux-2.2.10
>and type "make menuconfig" instead of getting a menu of menuconfig, I get
>the message "Make: *** No rule to make target 'menuconfig'. Stop".

You forgot to install linux-kernel-include.  That rpm has the makefile.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Lybanon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:46:52 -0500

While I can't claim to be an expert in investment, I remember seeing a
recent WinInfo article that reports that Micro$oft is working to port
its applications to Linux.  I don't know what Bill Gates's strategy is,
either, but his company isn't ignoring Linux.

Here is the URL:

http://www.wininformant.com/display.asp?ID=2874

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO re-install question
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:52:51 +0100

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Dances With Crows wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:24:52 +0100, Juergen Neuhoff wrote:

>>What software is there available for usenet newsgroup access
>>under Linux?

>Tons of newsreaders.  slrn, tin, emacs on the command line, xnews,
>knews, and PAN (the Pimp-Ass Newsreader, at http://superpimp.org/ ) on
>the GUI side.

And then there's krn, kexpress, the news client in StarOffice...

>IMHO, Netscape's news client is horrible, not only in its interface, but
>because to use it, you need Netscape running, sucking up memory and
>crashing randomly.

And then there's the fact that you either need an nntp transport agent or you
read online only...

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lost Hard Drive Space
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:56:06 +0100

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Jeff wrote:
>I had to remove Mandrake 7.1 (don't worry I'm still a Linux fan and will
>be using it in the future) and in doing so I deleted the Non-dos partition
>that Mandrake was on through windows fdisk (first mistake).  Well after
>running fdisk /mbr I got windows to boot up again and the partition was
>gone but now I have seemed to have losted the 1.5Megs that Mandrake used
>to install the system.  How do I get this back without doing a full re-
>format of my drive??

If you mean you lost a 1.5 MB partition (i.e. Windows can't see it) then you
can download Ranish Partition Manager and use it to convert the partition to be
the same type as your Windows partition (FAT16 or FAT32) and then format it. If
you then delete it your Windows partition will grow to use the additional 1.5
MB.  (http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part/)

This should work if your Windows partition is below the Linux one (as is the
usual case) - I've done it myself. But you do this at your own risk, so make
sure youv'e backed everything up first.

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:01:00 +0100

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Kichi Leung wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Quentin Christensen wrote:

>>I have linux (slackware 7.0) on a partition of my hard drive, but the hard
>>drive has a couple of bad sectors here and there.  Sometimes when doing hard
>>disk acess the drive will whine and clunk and eventually do whatever it's
>>trying to do.
>>
>>Is there anything like scandisk for linux, to find and mark sectors as bad (or
>>however linux does it, I must look that up...)?
>
>Try using fsck. For e2fs, you stat it with the command e2fsck :-)
>For documentation: man fsck

Hmmm... That's not quite true. The e2fsck command works on e2fs partitions
only whereas fsck checks the partition type and calls a handler for the
relevant type. Quentin didn't say what partition type he's having problems
with.

--
Garry Knight

From: "someone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lotus Notes (Mail Server with Linux)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:33:53 +0800

Hi,

I have questions regarding LotusNotes and Linux.
I'm trying to configure my Linux box to get my dept emails (about 6 to 8
user accounts) from the company Lotus Notes server so that the users can use
any pop/smtp email clients from within the dept.

Which daemon do I use ? SendMail ? QMail ? and FetchMail ?

I also need to send out users mail through the Linux box.

One more thing, is it possible for me to also download the company email
list so that the users in my dept is able to use the list instead of
remembering the email address of each ?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:47:20 -0500

-ljl- wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Quentin Christensen) wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm pretty new to linux, so please excuse me if this is a stupid
> question :)
> >
> > I have linux (slackware 7.0) on a partition of my hard drive, but the
> hard
> > drive has a couple of bad sectors here and there.
>
> My experiences with drives is that this is an eary warning of things
> to come.  If the drive is still under warranty (usually 3-5 years)
> replace it.
>
> Personally I wouldn't trust the drive for anything important.
>
> That said try "man badblocks"; beware if you run badblocks a second
> time it will still report the blocks as bad but they are the same ones.
> Play with it using a diskette.
>
> --
> Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Running badblocks supposedly will let you put the blocks found
in a file.   Then running e2fsck with the -l option will allow
you to add the bad blocks to the list of blocks to avoid.
But if the blocks are part of the root file system, I'm not
sure how to do this.  One can of course try it from a rescue
disk run in a ramdisk.  But there is presumably a way to force
a manual fsck when booting.   What is it?

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537