Linux-Misc Digest #519, Volume #25               Mon, 21 Aug 00 22:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: pipe?? (Robert Schweikert)
  Re: VM:  Killing process .... ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: where is Redhat 7.0 beta? (Robert Schweikert)
  Re: Whats the best window manager? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Regaining control of a process ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Trouble with Linux. (Sam Wun)
  Files and directories use by a program ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Did M. Kagalenko ever get laid? If yes, when was the last time? (Dan)
  Re: Whats the best window manager? (David Schreiber)
  Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2 (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Desktop Database (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Christopher Browne)
  Re: backup and restore with cpio?? (ljb)
  HOWTO: Upgrade Redhat/Mandrake to XFree86 4.0.1 and keep gdm running ("Patrick
Shomo")
  BIOS? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Possible to restore partition? (MH)
  installed kernel configuration ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: HOWTO: Upgrade Redhat/Mandrake to XFree86 4.0.1 and keep gdm running (Anita
Lewis)
  Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat... (Robert Heller)
  Re: BIOS? (Akira Yamanita)
  Re: pipe?? ("James Gray")
  Re: logitech keyboard problem in VI ("James Gray")
  Re: Installing 2nd hard disk (Stewart Honsberger)

From: Robert Schweikert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pipe??
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:13:02 -0400

Not sure what you mean but piping output from one command to another
looks like this:

ls | lpr

this will print the list of files in the current directory.

Or

fgrep someWord fileName | wc

this will print the number of occurences of someWrord in the
filefileName to the terminal.

Have fun.
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         LINUX

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VM:  Killing process ....
Date: 22 Aug 2000 00:01:28 GMT

Peter Alliett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: VM:  Killing process sendmail
: VM:  Killing process named
: VM:  Killing process syslogd
: VM:  Killing process httpd
: VM:  Killing process ipop3d

: What does this mean and how do I fix it.

Kill netscape. (And the messsages mean what they say. Which word did
you not understand? Killing? Process?). I think you are maybe intending
to pronounce the question as "why is this happening ..." rather than
"what does this mean"? If so, would you mind explaining why you have
mispronounced it that way? In return, I'll tell you that your kernel
has run out of memory and is selecting processes to kill to keep
things more or less going along .. but it's not guessing right about
the true culprit.  And we won't know either because you're not showing
us the process table listing. It's probably netscape.

From: Robert Schweikert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: where is Redhat 7.0 beta?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:18:11 -0400

Check the RedHat ftp site

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/beta/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Whats the best window manager?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:50:49 +0100

Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:11:37 GMT, Database wrote:
>>Whats the best window manager?

> Depends on what you want from your WM!  If you want something that's
> small and fast, you can try Blackbox, fvwm2, or IceWM.  If you want
> something that's GNOME-compliant and reasonably small/fast, try Sawfish.
> If you want maximum eye candy, ty Enlightenment.  If you're using KDE,
> you're probably already using kfm.

kwm surely?
kfm's a file manager.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Regaining control of a process
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:55:42 +0100

Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> Doug wrote:

>> > I don't want to kill it, I want to be able to control it again. It got
>> detached
>> > when I got disconnected from the net. It's now just sitting there, without
>> > being attached to any terminal.
>> >

>> You can't.
>> It's parent is dead and it's now a 'zombie'.
>> We all know what you have to do !

> Silver dagger through its heart?

Nahhh. You can't kill Zombies... You have to overpower them and then
dismember them...

:)

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|                                                 |
|            in            | "I think so brain, but this time, you control   |
|     Computer Science     |  the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..."  |

From: Sam Wun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble with Linux.
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:35:53 +1000

==============FC75609D0613A0A2DDFDA14E

I only know that FreeBSD can do that very neatly, just one command "make
install" from the port treet.
it will install all dependencies first. I would think that's one of the
reasons that FreeBSD outperform Redhad linux?

--
Sam Wun                   Firewalls / Security
Software Engineer(Snr)    Electronic Commerce

==============FC75609D0613A0A2DDFDA14E

I&nbsp;only know that FreeBSD can do that very neatly, just one command
"make install" from the port treet.
the reasons that FreeBSD outperform Redhad linux?<br>
<BR>
you
and

<pre>--&nbsp;
Sam
Wun&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Firewalls / Security
Software Engineer(Snr)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Electronic Commerce
eSec
Limited&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Phone: +61 3 83715376
<A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
C++/JAVA/WIN32/UNIX/OOP/OOD</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Files and directories use by a program
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:21:58 GMT

I am running a command line program (realproducer) and would like to
know the files and directories used while that program is running.

Is there a command to visualize that?

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:38:18 -0500
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.fortran,sci.physics,soc.college,alt.sex,alt.sex.masturbation,soc.culture.russian,neu.general,rec.arts.books,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.cascade
Subject: Did M. Kagalenko ever get laid? If yes, when was the last time?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan)

Any ideas welcome.

We are looking for a lowest bidder prostitute (male or female) to help
relieve him of sexual frustration. Write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Schreiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:25:30 GMT

In article <Zwco5.15927$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Database" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Whats the best window manager?

I would use any wm that supported the fvwm2 toolbar.  The rest is eye
candy.

I hear that Sun is adopting Gnome.

--
http://www.caverock.net.nz/~davids
Welcome to nowhere fast. Nothing here ever lasts.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: IPGateway with Caldera Open Linux 2.2
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:43:41 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:11:15 +0100, Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>can't access the internet ....
>
>Can't ping past the Linux box

That's pretty generic.  Here's some generic advice.

What about _from_ Linux?  Did you use IP addresses or names?  Try
pinging your ISP's name server by IP (hell, just try 204.99.129.2).  If
that works, verify that you have put that IP into /etc/resolv.conf.  If
it doesn't then something else is wrong, maybe your ppp isn't really
connected.  Look in /var/log/messages for clues.

If you can ping from Linux but not from the network then you did
something wrong with your IP masquerade setup.  If that is the case it
would help to know exactly how you have it configured.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Desktop Database
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:44:39 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Patrick M Geahan would say:
>Stephen J. Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am looking for a desktop database along the lines of Access for
>> linux. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>

>MySQL is free and relatively easy to use.  I use it personally for my home
>use and a little web work.
>
>I have been told it does't throttle well under heavy load, but can
>beither confirm nor deny that.

MySQL may be comparable to Access in being suitable for simple
applications that do not need to scale and that do not need to be
terribly reliable.

It is not, however, comparable to Access in providing:
a) A "visual" tool for composing database schema,
b) A QBE tool for composing database queries,
c) A form builder to compose database front ends, and
d) A report writer to compose reports.

If those sorts of things are the goal in mind, there's not yet any
really comparable system, save, perhaps, for Paradox, which is part of
the Corel Office suite.
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@" "freenet.carleton.ca")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/framewrk.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is Mandrake Really Red Hat...
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:44:53 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Radix would say:
>I was recently told that mandrake was just a scaled down version of Red
>Hat... Does that mean that Red Hat  makes Mandrake????   The same person
>told me that all the basic utility (the ones that are tailored by Red
>Hat) are the same for both distro....  Is any of this true???  Thanks...

A year ago, that was essentially true.  The folks at Mandrake
basically took the Red Hat source RPMs, and recompiled them with
Pentium-specific options.

Since then, there has been some divergence as Mandrake folk have built
their own set of installation and administration tools.
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linux.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: backup and restore with cpio??
Date: 22 Aug 2000 01:09:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I am getting a truncating inode number when I try to back up some file
>systems and cannot seem to restore any files. I suspect that it is not
>backing up the files for what ever reason, can someone give me some
>insight into this?
>
>cpio: .: truncating inode number
>cpio: log: truncating inode number
>cpio: templates: truncating inode number
>cpio: queued: truncating inode number
>4408 blocks
>..

Generally with cpio you get rid of the "truncating inode" message
by using a different format, like "-H ustar" (which makes tar-format
archives). The default format only supports 16-bit inode numbers
which are too small for most disk filesystems.

I don't know if this is causing your restore failures, though.

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Shomo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: HOWTO: Upgrade Redhat/Mandrake to XFree86 4.0.1 and keep gdm running
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:58:17 -0400

All,

    Seen several posts and couldn't find an answer to my own questions.
Figured it out, here's the scoop for those who care:

    Task:    Upgrade Redhat 6.2 or Mandrake 7.1 to XFree86 4.0.1
    Why:    Dual-headed support for Matrox G400

    Procedures:

    Went to xfree86.org and read their 4.0.1 READMEs and install guides.
Well worth the few minutes it takes. Print them out. Using these docs to
determine what bins to pull (from the glibc 2.1 dir on a mirror) I was ready
to go.

    First, backup all the right stuff (you will need some of these files,
don't blow this off):

    tar cvf /path/to/some/tarball /usr/X11R6 /etc/X11

        - or - cpio or whatever works for you.

    Reboot and prevent X from starting. At the Lilo prompt:

    linux telinit 3         (this is full user mode without X)

    Follow the directions for the X 4.0.1 install (running sh ./Xinstall.sh
and follow directions). I let the new install modify all files...you could
probably customize here and save some steps later, but I only had two
go-arounds to play with and it works.

    Once the install is complete and you run "XFree86 -configure" for the
first time (again, RTFM to see where I got this), test your X server per the
suggestion output by the config command. It works? Ok, move on. Otherwise,
fix it (can't help you much otherwise -- it worked for me the first time).

    Here's where problems creep in:

    Bust out of the X "Grey-screen of Life" (Cntl-Alt-Backspace) and take
the XF86Config file you just tested and move it to /etc/X11/XF86Config ...
some of you may need to manually "merge" the old and the new to get past
special setups in displays, etc. As of now you've got a successful X
upgrade. Don't bug the XFree86 developers if this works! Test with startx or
whatnot (bust out when done).

    You'll find that gdm does not want to start Gnome sessions or anything
other than TWM. GDM may not even start. This is where most of the complaints
I've seen some from. The fix?

    From your backups, restore the following files (told you the backups
were needed):

    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession --> /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc     --> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/Xclients    --> /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients (may
not have changed)

    Notice that file paths changed between X 3.3.6 and X 4.0.1. Now:

    gdm

    Choose your session as normal.

    Hope it works for you, too.

    I'll have details on the G400 dual-head setup soon!

        Pat

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: BIOS?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:21:55 GMT

Hi,

I'm still struggling to get my Dell sound card (SB Live!) to work. I've
tried everything, and I'm now about to recompile the kernel (for the
first time in my life) Anyways, the sound card driver installation
instructions require, amoung other things, that
<quote>
"PnP-compatible OS installed" option in BIOS must be disabled.
</quote>

What can I do to make sure this requirement is satisfied?

Thanks a bunch!

Wroot

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Possible to restore partition?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:29:41 -0700

I want to expand my /usr partition. I've used the "dump" utility to
backup /usr and /home to a remote system. I am assuming I can restore
/usr and /home with "dump restore".

My plan is to delete the /usr and /home partitions, then recreate
them--with /usr being larger than before, and /home being smaller than
before. I am assuming that I can perform the restore from the command
line--in fact, will have to--since the X Windows files ordinarily
located in /usr and /home will obviously not exist in the new partitions
until they have been restored.

Is there any problem with this plan?

TIA for your comments/suggestions.

--
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal."

                                        --Aristotle

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: installed kernel configuration
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:31:29 GMT

Hi,

Is there any way to see how the kernel on my Dell Redhat 6.2 distro was
compiled? (I need to make sure that CONFIG_MODULES = y, CONFIG_SOUND =
y/m, CONFIG_SOUND_* = n) If this is so, I don't have to recompile it.

Thanks

Wroot

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:48:53 GMT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:58:17 -0400, Patrick Shomo wrote:
>All,
>
>    Seen several posts and couldn't find an answer to my own questions.
>Figured it out, here's the scoop for those who care:
>
>    Task:    Upgrade Redhat 6.2 or Mandrake 7.1 to XFree86 4.0.1
>    Why:    Dual-headed support for Matrox G400
>
>    Procedures:
>
>    Went to xfree86.org and read their 4.0.1 READMEs and install guides.
>Well worth the few minutes it takes. Print them out. Using these docs to
>determine what bins to pull (from the glibc 2.1 dir on a mirror) I was ready
>to go.
>
>    First, backup all the right stuff (you will need some of these files,
>don't blow this off):
>
>    tar cvf /path/to/some/tarball /usr/X11R6 /etc/X11
>
>        - or - cpio or whatever works for you.
>
>    Reboot and prevent X from starting. At the Lilo prompt:
>
>    linux telinit 3         (this is full user mode without X)
>
>    Follow the directions for the X 4.0.1 install (running sh ./Xinstall.sh
>and follow directions). I let the new install modify all files...you could
>probably customize here and save some steps later, but I only had two
>go-arounds to play with and it works.
>
>    Once the install is complete and you run "XFree86 -configure" for the
>first time (again, RTFM to see where I got this), test your X server per the
>suggestion output by the config command. It works? Ok, move on. Otherwise,
>fix it (can't help you much otherwise -- it worked for me the first time).
>
>    Here's where problems creep in:
>
>    Bust out of the X "Grey-screen of Life" (Cntl-Alt-Backspace) and take
>the XF86Config file you just tested and move it to /etc/X11/XF86Config ...
>some of you may need to manually "merge" the old and the new to get past
>special setups in displays, etc. As of now you've got a successful X
>upgrade. Don't bug the XFree86 developers if this works! Test with startx or
>whatnot (bust out when done).
>
>    You'll find that gdm does not want to start Gnome sessions or anything
>other than TWM. GDM may not even start. This is where most of the complaints
>I've seen some from. The fix?
>
>    From your backups, restore the following files (told you the backups
>were needed):
>
>    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession --> /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
>    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc     --> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/Xclients    --> /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients (may
>not have changed)
>
>    Notice that file paths changed between X 3.3.6 and X 4.0.1. Now:
>
>    gdm
>
>    Choose your session as normal.
>
>    Hope it works for you, too.
>
>    I'll have details on the G400 dual-head setup soon!
>
>        Pat

I notice that you did not first remove version 3.3.6 and it seems not to
have got in the way at all.  So 'rpm -q XFree86' would still yeild 3.3.6
instead of 4.0.1.  But I guess that would not be a problem and in fact would
be helpful for when you install an rpm that requires XFree86.  It will then
see that X is there and will be happy.

I used rpms and first uninstalled 3.3.6, but your way does sound much
easier.  I'll have to try it to see if xboing will work when I do it that
way.  I lost the ability to run it when I tried it with rpms.

Anita

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:09:06 GMT

  Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on 21 Aug 2000 08:30:26 -0400, wrote :

JK> Adrian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
JK>
JK> > > Actually, I think Mandrake is a scaled-UP version of Red Hat.  It is
JK> > > made by some outfit in France, and has some enhancements.
JK> > > However, I believe the basics are the same, so RPM's compiled for one
JK> > > should work with the other --
JK> > >
JK> > > Never trust a man in a suit --
JK> > >
JK> > > cll
JK> > That's not true....
JK> > The mandrake optimizes the system to i586 version, if you use the
JK> > Mandrake RPM in Redhat, it might be problems.  But the reverse is OK
JK>
JK> which seems rather pointless since the classic pentium stopped being
JK> produced nearly three years ago.

There are *many* up and running *'486* systems around (I use one for a
print server).  Some of us even have 'classic pentium' (or clones) as
our desktops -- I am using a SuperSocket-7 mother board with a Cyrix
P166+ processor on my home desktop.  I have a '486/50 Laptop.  And I
use a Pentium Pro 200 as my office desktop at UMass. We have three
Gateway P133's running as student desktops in the lab where I work at
UMass -- these machines work just fine, as 'heads'.  Note: with X11,
which is a *network oriented* graphics system, people can run serious
number crunching tasks on more powerful machines (such as our 4@400mhz
Alpha (with its 1gig of RAM and 2gig of virtual address space), with
the display going to their P133 desktop.  Actually, the P133's have
*better* video cards and monitors than the Alpha -- it has a truly
cruddy 8-bit video, good for maybe 800x600 and has a 15" monitor.  This
is aside from the fact that the Alpha is locked away in a machine
room.

Old computers don't die, they get recycled/reused for other purposes:
print servers, backup DNS servers, household LAN routers, etc.  Just
because Intel, Cyrix, and AMD are no longer making 'classic pentium' or
'486, does not mean that these chips are not still in use in various
places.  True, they suck big time as stand-alone multimedia workstations,
but they still have their place.

Since the Linux kernel is always distributed with source, along with
the compilers needed to re-compile it, it is *always* a trivial mater to
re-build the kernel with whatever processor options floats your boat.
*Most* of the Linux distributors know this, so that always *ship*
pre-compiled kernels built for a bare '386 -- such a kernel will work
with *any* chip.  People who feel that they need to have a kernel with
the maximal level of optimization, can always change the build options
and re-build the kernel to suit their system.  With a 400-600 mhz PIII
system with 256Meg of RAM, a kernel build takes on 10-15 minutes, not
the 1-2 *hours* it takes on a '486Dx2-66 with 16meg of RAM.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: BIOS?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:55:53 GMT

> I'm still struggling to get my Dell sound card (SB Live!) to work. I've
> tried everything, and I'm now about to recompile the kernel (for the
> first time in my life) Anyways, the sound card driver installation
> instructions require, amoung other things, that
> <quote>
> "PnP-compatible OS installed" option in BIOS must be disabled.
> </quote>
>
> What can I do to make sure this requirement is satisfied?
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> Wroot

I guess you've never done any configuration in the BIOS? When
you boot up, you should get some line telling you how to enter
setup. It's probably <Del> or <F10>. I don't remember which it
was for a recent Dell system. Then you'll get a menu. I think
it's under advances options or something similar.

------------------------------

From: "James Gray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:08:11 +1000

Personally my favourite pipe command goes like this:

cat /dev/mug | /dev/mouth

;-)

James

news:8nses2$mb5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "James Gray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: logitech keyboard problem in VI
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:09:59 +1000

I haven't seen this specific problem before, but make sure your keyboard is
configured as a standard 101/102 keyboard not some weird notebook config.

Cheers,

James

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Installing 2nd hard disk
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 02:08:31 GMT

On 21 Aug 2000 23:52:37 GMT, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>: I agree with Stewart. If the drive is BRAND-SPANKING new, there
>: shouldn't need a reboot after you partition and mkfs on it. I am
>
>This has nothing to do with the state of the disk.

It has everything to do with the state of the disk. Your argument supporting
re-booting after using fdisk was based on having a mounted partition on the
drive.

>And please reply below the quote - I not going to reformat your top
>quote of a bottom quote, but am going to cut the rest entirely, so
>people can just guess whatever it is you are talking about while seeing
>perfectly well what *I* am talking about).  Geez ..  what is it with
>peoples writing and editing skills?

While I agree with you, I have to ask - was the fecetiousness really
neccesary?

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)