From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gtk problem
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 21:21:52 -0500

I am having headaches compiling programs that use GTK.

I have figured out most of the problems with misplaced files, broken
symlinks, etc.
but now I have encountered a program that is over my head.
conf.log says:

In file included from /usr/include/gdk/gdktypes.h:25,
                 from /usr/include/gdk/gdk.h:23,
                 from /usr/include/gtk/gtk.h:23,
                 from configure:2215:
/usr/local/include/glib.h:281: #error Could not determine proper
atexit() implem
entation
/usr/local/include/glib.h:486: warning: `GLONG_TO_LE' redefined
/usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h:107: warning: this is the location of
the pre
vious definition
/usr/local/include/glib.h:487: warning: `GULONG_TO_LE' redefined
/usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h:108: warning: this is the location of
the pre
vious definition
/usr/local/include/glib.h:488: warning: `GLONG_TO_BE' redefined
/usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h:109: warning: this is the location of
the pre
vious definition
/usr/local/include/glib.h:489: warning: `GULONG_TO_BE' redefined
/usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h:110: warning: this is the location of
the pre
vious definition
/usr/local/include/glib.h:1442: warning: `g_memmove' redefined
/usr/lib/glib/include/glibconfig.h:60: warning: this is the location of
the prev
ious definition
configure: failed program was:
#line 2213 "configure"

I don't know how to make heads or tails of this, can anyone help me?

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Brookes)
Subject: Re: help needed compiling kernel
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 07:40:11 GMT

>If it wasn't created then there must have been some error messages. You
>could redirect them to a log file so you can find out what the problem
>was. For example, 'make zImage >& "make-zImage.log-$(date)"'

This was a good tip thanks, heres the output, does it help??
regards
peter

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce
-pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2
-DCPU=586 -DUTS_MACHINE='"i386"' -c -o init/version.o init/version.c
set -e; for i in kernel drivers mm fs net ipc lib arch/i386/kernel
arch/i386/mm arch/i386/lib; do make -C $i; done
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/kernel'
make all_targets
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/kernel'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all_targets'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/kernel'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/kernel'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers'
set -e; for i in block char net  pci scsi sound; do make -C $i; done
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/block'
make all_targets
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/block'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all_targets'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/block'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/block'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/char'
make all_targets
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/char'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all_targets'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/char'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/char'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/net'
make all_targets
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/net'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all_targets'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/net'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/net'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/pci'
make all_targets
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/pci'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all_targets'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/pci'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/pci'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/scsi'
make all_targets
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/scsi'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all_targets'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/scsi'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/scsi'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/sound'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/include -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce
-pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2
-DCPU=586  -c -o sb_common.o sb_common.c
sb_common.c:21: #error You will need to configure the sound driver
with CONFIG_AUDIO option.
make[2]: *** [sb_common.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers/sound'
make[1]: *** [sub_dirs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.0.34.SuSE/drivers'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Scanner on parallel port (HOW)
Date: 08 Jan 1999 15:06:09 -0800

Gene Markozen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> It may be the case that I have to write my own driver.
> Does anyone know where I can find the TWAIN protocol
> documentation/specification?

There some scanning info in Gary's Encyclopedia at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/scanning.html

There's an "Artec" entry where someone investigated
that parallel protocol.

------------------------------

From: Matt Templeton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ...
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 16:14:50 -0500

PalmII@ .com (soume yoeung guih) wrote:

> Linus is such a pansy mother fucker. He needs real balls like bill
> gates. Linus says "Hey Im a gay boy and give my shit away." Bill says:
> "I own you linus mother fucker." Linus is a fuckin retard. Who else
> would make a fuckin OS with so many security holes. How many fuckers
> hack NT to run thier little eggdrop bots. You are all script kiddies.
> Who the fuck would let other people butt rape him for a kernel. Bill
> gates owns you all. I think we need to start putting tatoos on all
> these fuckin artic following homos heads.. And hopefully that tatoo
> will have bill gates head with a windows 2000 logo. I could write a
> better OS out of basic on a toaster. My on screen programming for my
> VCR is better than the gui for linux. I hope linus gets nut cancer and
> dies. Microsoft will soon buy linux so you all can get a real os. I
> cant wait for microsoft brings msinux to rape all you linux fags.
>
> Please do not flame me .. its only an opinion.

Lets get real folks! If you have read all the posts from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(forged header). Should recognize the stile of this troll as the same. He
is a pathetic troll that can only get attention by getting people angry.
He really is not worth the effort of a response. Let's just ignore him.

Remove the .XoutX. to reply

Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 8 Jan 1999 16:18:26 -0800

>I just bought a Digital Research parallel port (EPP) high
>resolution scanner.

Info on parallel port drivers is here:

        http://www.torque.net/parport

See if you can find drivers for your scanner there.

- Sam

--
Email address here: http://www.samiam.org/ssi/mailme.shtml
Music I write here: http://www.mp3.com/sam http://www.samiam.org/mp3

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Good news- SAP-GUI
Date: 8 Jan 1999 04:49:03 GMT

On 8 Jan 1999 00:49:47 GMT, Christopher B. Browne
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>On Thu, 07 Jan 1999 15:20:58 +0800, hamid misnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>>Christopher Browne wrote:

VERY GOOD NEWS:

At sapserv4 (and, reportedly, sapserv3), there are IA-32 RPM files
available for the version 4.5A version of SAPGUI.

I've verified that SAPGUI 4.5A works, at least to some extent.
There's lots of aspects of functionality to it; can't guarantee that
it's all robust, but all that I tried worked.

See, on sapserv4 (and, if rumor holds, sapserv3):
  /general/misc/unsupported/linux

There are several RPM files in this directory that will prove of
interest.

This isn't a particularly public location, but any self-respecting
Basis consultant should be able to get to that location...

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to Linux today?..."

------------------------------

Subject: Re: LILO 3 way boot
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Date: 8 Jan 99 04:51:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>image=/dev/hda6
>        label=linux
>other=/dev/hda3
>        label=dos
>        table=/dev/hda
>other=/dev/hda1
>        label=win
>        table=/dev/hda
>
>Thing is, I don't know if DOS has to be on hda1. Windows does, and I
>think DOS does too, but I'm not sure. Try that though.

I think you're right.  I had a 2 disk system, with Win95 on one disk in
the first partition and DOS on the second disk in the first partition,
and OS/2 and Slackware on other partitions.  That worked okay,
since DOS was in the first primary partition on the second drive.

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Subject: Re: ATi Rage Fury
Date: 8 Jan 1999 16:21:55 -0800

>I'm about to buy an ATi Rage Fury graphics card for my PC.

You can get up-to-date compatibility information here:

        http://www.xfree86.org

As a general rule, when a new video card comes out, Linux users who happen
to own the card in question try the card with Linux and share their
success stories (or failure stories) here with the Linux community.

Some cards will emulate older versions of the card, other cards will not.

That said, it is known among the industry that ATi makes problomatic
cards.

- Sam

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Subject: Re: Linux 1.2.13 Y2K problems (was Re: - Help is Linux Y2K Complient ??)
Date: 8 Jan 1999 16:24:58 -0800

>That's interesting; a few days ago I tested my old 486 machine, running
>Slackware 2.x with a 1.2.13 kernel. Switched date forwards to 2000 in DOS,
>rebooted, no problems. Booted Linux, and the date was sometime in 1970.

Sounds like DOS is handling Y2k dates differently.  What happens when you
set your CMOS clock to a post-2000 date using the 'clock' command in
Linux?

There are known problems with older CMOS clocks not being Y2k complient.

From: DonJr <donjr@[127.0.0.1]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Can't reboot at root from "xdm"
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 23:58:59 -0500

Jon D. Slater wrote:

> Once I log in as root using an XDM login, I've noticed if I type
> "reboot" or "reboot &" in an xterm my machine does not reboot until I
> press <Alt><Ctrl><F1>, switch to a "text based" screen.
>
> Then the machine (running Redhat 5.2) reboots normally.
>
> Why can't I reboot my machine from within an XDM login session?
>
> Or maybe my question sould be "How do I reboot from an xterm run under
> an XDM login?"
>
> Please send suggestions to:  JSlater<at>Qualcomm<dot>Com
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Jon

 Jon

 Ways to REBOOT or HALT an XDM session from the termial:
  # su - shutdown -r now

  Assign a Password to the "user" accounts 'shutdown' and 'reboot'.
  Then logoff and simply login as one of those users.
  ( Note: Pick a "Strong Password" for these accounts if this method is
used. It is possible to telenet into a system and logon as one of theses
users.
  { As this method would allow a system to be ShutDown or Rebooted
remotely :} )

 Or a little more complex to setup, but easy to use and only works from
the system termial.

 The following adds 2 Buttons to your Xbanner screen. One labeled
"Reboot" and one labeled "HALT".
  (note: Requires that the 'tk' package is installed.)

 To /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 insert the following:

 | colum 0 in the file is here.
 -------- start of text to insert -----
 # reboot & halt buttons
 /usr/bin/wish <<EOF &
 wm geometry . +10+10
 button .halt   -text Halt   -command {exec shutdown -h now}
 button .reboot -text Reboot -command {exec shutdown -r now}
 pack .halt .reboot -side left
 EOF
 echo $! > /var/run/xdmbutton_0.pid

 -------- end of text to insert -------------
 # before the following line
 /usr/X11R6/bin/xbanner

 Then Replace /etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole with the following:

  ----------------start of file------------------------------------
  #!/bin/sh
  # Assign ownership of the console to the invoking user
  # $XConsortium: GiveConsole,v 1.2 93/09/28 14:29:20 gildea Exp $
  #
  # By convention, both xconsole and xterm -C check that the
  # console is owned by the invoking user and is readable before
attaching
  # the console output.  This way a random user can invoke xterm -C
without
  # causing serious grief.
  #

  # :0 specific startup commands go here

  # stop reboot & halt buttons
  if test -r /var/run/xdmbutton_0.pid; then
      kill `cat /var/run/xdmbutton_0.pid`
      rm /var/run/xdmbutton_0.pid
  fi

  chown $USER /dev/console

  #eof GiveConsole
  --------------------eof-------------------------

  The above is only adding 6 lines to GiveConsole, but it was easier to
show the whole file then explain where to put it.

Note the above will allow any user who has access to the system Termial
and Mouse to Halt or Reboot the system.

  But, since having access to the system Mouse means they also most
likely have access to the "Power Switch" no big deal.

  At least now there is a chance that the system will be properly
shutdown now, instead of just pulling the Plug.

The easiest way to switch from a "text based" system to 'xdm' mode on a
RedHat based system (as root) is:
  $ telinit 5

--
 -----------------------
  Don E. Groves, Jr.

  I'll add a witty saying here later.

================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 9 Jan 1999 00:41:45 GMT

Yes, the little dweeb finished installing via FTP and now he's stuck on
some configuration issue. Fn' Jerk knows he won't get any help so he's just
acting like a looser he is and blaming Linux instead of his brain cavity.

Grow UP, FAST!

From: "(BXTC)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Editing issue.net?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 18:45:47 -0500

Hey, I would like to make it so when someone telnets to my comp.  it
says something besides
Red Hat 5.1 ......".  I tried editing my /etc/issue.net file and it
worked.  But when I reboot, i lose the changes I made.  I'm guessing its
simple, I've seen several site done this way.

Also after someone has logged in how can I have the screen show text?
Almost every shell I've ever had has had this.  Right now I just made a
txt file and call it from .bashrc but they can edit it out.  I am
running redhat 5.1 3.0.34.  Thanks in advance
--
Towering genius disdains a beaten path.  It seeks regions hitherto
unexplored.

(BXTC) ICQ# 23289202

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brett W. McCoy)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 00:50:27 GMT

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:37:50 GMT, Jeremy Mathers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You have to ask yourself if it matters.  Again, it is perception.
>Most users have no concept of the idea that an OS shouldn't crash at
>least once a day.  Really, they just don't care.  And its not like
>they are ever doing anything particularly critical anyway.

Tell that to the users in my office who have to deal with Windows crashing
on them constantly, or the registry getting corrupted.  They usually yell
at me because I'm the sysadmin and I should be doing something to keep
their computers from locking up all the time.

--
Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Card
Date: 8 Jan 1999 16:26:27 -0800

>I have a file called lfe_lli that I do not know what to do with.

What does the 'file' command tell you about the file?  E.G:

        file lfe_lli

- Sam

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:29:28 -0500
From: Victor Danilchenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:

Netnerd wrote:

> The latest consumer poll shows that 81 percent of consumers think Microsoft
> has been good for consumers, and 52 percent think the case was brought to
> help Microsoft's rivals.
>
> The poll also shows that 76 percent of consumers think U.S. District Judge
> Thomas Penfield Jackson should find Microsoft not guilty of violating the
> Sherman Antitrust Act when the trial concludes sometime in the next two or
> three months.
>
> The consumer has spoken, but will this affect Penfield Jackson?s rulings?
> Of course not, a biased and angry Penfield will rule against Microsoft on
> every count and impose the most severe penalty he believes possible.  But
> not to worry, there is a contingency plan in place regardless the DOJ trial
> and appeals outcome.  Long live Microsoft.

        I think it is time to burn a few more bridges, to reduce troll
population. Napalm, anyone?..

--
|  Victor A. Danilchenko       CSCF support  |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       A313, 5-4231  |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:37:49 -0500
From: Victor Danilchenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:

Netnerd wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote in message ...
> >"Netnerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> The latest consumer poll shows that 81 percent of consumers think
> >> Microsoft has been good for consumers, and 52 percent think the case
> >> was brought to help Microsoft's rivals.
> >
> >Microsoft is not under accusation because of being bad to customers,
> >but because of illegal means for fighting competition.  And of course
> >the case was brought to help Microsoft's rivals.  They are the damaged
> >party of the alleged business practices.  Of course it helps them if
> >Microsoft is restricted to fighting them by legal means.
>
> The US antitrust laws are designed to protect consumers, not competitors.
> Has the consumer been harmed?  Of course not.

        Hell yes, consumer has been harmed -- they have been duped into using a
vastly inferior OS and set of applications, and they have been duped
into not knowing how inferior they are. The antitrust laws are to
protect consumers from inferior service and inflated prices that
monopolies cause -- and MS has caused both. Kinda like people in USSR
who thought they were living not very far from paradise (and that
illusion dissolved eventually).

> Have competitors been harmed?
> Netscape's current market capitalization is $6.5 billion.  This is hardly an
> example of harm.  Netscape is more an example of great success.  Asked the
> founders who are laughing all the way to the bank.  Of course if Microsoft
> had not competed with Netscape, Netscape may have retained its 80% browser
> monopoly and been worth even more.  Boohoo.

        <shrug> I really should not feed the trolls, makes them more aggressive
in their begging for attention. Begone, snaggle-toothed bridge-dweller.