From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (skeeter)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: BIOS?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:18:16 GMT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:21:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm still struggling to get my Dell sound card (SB Live!) to work. I've
>tried everything, and I'm now about to recompile the kernel (for the
>first time in my life) Anyways, the sound card driver installation
>instructions require, amoung other things, that
><quote>
>"PnP-compatible OS installed" option in BIOS must be disabled.
></quote>
>
>What can I do to make sure this requirement is satisfied?
>
>Thanks a bunch!
>
>Wroot
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

I know this isn't directly related to the BIOS question so you can
disregard this if you'd like.

I'm running SuSE 6.4 and use an SB Live! Value card.  SuSE had the
linux SB Live! driver with the distribution but didn't install it
automatically. A special note was made in the manual indicating that
you had to install the driver specific to the SB Live! Once the sound
package was installed an entry of 'alias sound emu10k1' had to be
added to the /etc/modules.conf file. emu10k1 is the name of the driver
I assume. Then I have to do 'modprobe emu10k1' as root to get the
driver to actually be used by the kernel. I've finally added this
command to a file (boot.local, if I remember) to load the SB Live!
driver module everytime the machine boots.

FWIW, I'm not a Linux guru. I'm still going through the pains you are
but have made it over the SB Live! Value hurdle. ;)

Skeeter

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:29:49 -0500

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Richard Steiner quoth:

~~ Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 03:03:40 -0500
~~ From: Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
~~ Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NoMadis)
~~ spake unto us, saying:
~~
~~ >On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 Luc Van Bogaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
~~ >
~~ >>You're wrong : there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers and
~~ >>you just gave one yourself.
~~ >
~~ >No, _You_ are wrong. There are not alot of questions that would fall in
~~ >the category "stupid" but this one definitely belongs there.
~~
~~ Not necessarily.  Even though the question can be inflammatory, it is
~~ sometimes (often) an indication that the person posing the question
~~ does not understand the complex nature of the issues involved.

  That is true, but would you go into a restaurant and ask what is the
best food you have?  If the person told you pickled rat in strawberry
jelly, would you still order it because they said it was the best they
had to offer?  If I ask you why you like your Linux distribution better
than another, you may say:

"Well my dist has a graphical install, and it does everything for me
 and makes me toast."

And if I asked another person they may say:

"Well, I like my dist because it is simple and does not hold my hand."

Now you have two conflicting recommendations, one person likes to have
a "set up out of the box dist" and the other likes a "roll my own dist".

  Now, if you are lucky everyone will remain calm and politely disagree,
and the OP will have gotten no good information from the dialogue, due
to the fact the very nature of "best" in this context is subjective.
If you are unlucky, I think it was Dennis Ritchie who said:

"Usenet is a strange place."

~~ There is still an opportunity for education here.  That is what Usenet
~~ is about.  Well, that and flaming.  :-)  But the latter is best left in
~~ the advocacy newsgroups, isn't it?

  Flaming is for the most part best left untouched, at least I try not
to flame.  I may get a little ornry, but I dont think I flame. Usenet
is a great place for education, however the Deja archives answered the
question "Which linux dist is best?" how many times?  And how many
of those answers were correct?  Subjectively, all of them, objectively,
none of them.  I prefer objective answers as they are more reliable,
(well most of the time, not always).

Best Wishes,

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard Drive Has Shrunk
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:43:32 -0500

N/A wrote:

> David .. wrote:
> >
> > N/A wrote:
> > >
> > > upon the installation and un-installation of Mandrake Linux 7.0 i lost
> > > some harddrive space where my hard drive now says 'HP Pavilion Local
> Disk
> > > 4.53 GB', the problem is i really have 6.1 GB and it isnt detecting the
> > > other 1.5GB or so. how can i reclaim the disk space? can Partition
> Magic
> > > help?
> > >

> > Did you delete all of the linux partitions?

> yes i did, any ideas?

If you deleted all the linux partitions then you will have to format the
linux partition back to DOS/windoz before you can use it for windoz
again.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: Robert Love <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Favorite multi CPU system monitor??
Date: 22 Aug 2000 21:55:32 -0500

What are some options for system monitoring tools that handle
multiple CPUs?  I know about xosview and top.  Running RH 6.2/
Gnome/Windowmaker.

thanx for all pointers.

| Support Signature Minimalism                              |

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Debian Dual Boot
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:32:47 GMT

Bill writes:
> I want to remove RH and put in Debian.

Assuming that you don't want to change your partitioning and don't want to
save your home directory, just install Debian and tell it to use the
existing Linux partitions.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: FYI: Applix vs. StarOffice vs. WP8 for Linux....
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 03:24:21 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Arthur Sowers would say:
>Thanks for the input. I looked at Gnumeric, but I can't see where it can
>do any macros (like Excel, and L-123 can). StarCalc can do macros.

It doesn't have a "macro" scheme, but does offer a "scripting scheme"
whereby you can link in code written in Python, Tcl, and Guile, which
amounts to nearly the same thing.  (Mind you, I'm not sure many are
actually _using_ Gnumeric scripting...)

Incidentally, it is _quite_ charitable to call the programming schemes
offered by Excel and Lotus "doing macros."

Macro systems are historically characterized by providing tools for
rewriting code, which really isn't what the scripting schemes offered
in spreadsheets do.

Compare to:
- Macro assemblers, available since the 1960s;
- Lisp macros, available since the 1970s;
- TeX macros, available since the 1980s.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spreadsheets.html>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #190. "If my mad scientist/wizard tells me

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Frisch)
Subject: Re: Anyone know of any Linux newsgroups dealing with Squid proxy server?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 03:24:51 GMT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:26:40 +0100, Dave T <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Anyone know of any Linux newsgroups dealing with Squid proxy server?

comp.os.linux.networking would seem suitable.

------------------------------

From: "Jason Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Firewall for Linux
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:26:31 +0800

Hi,

I would like to install a firewall on my Linux box. Does anyone have any
suggestions?
I am a newbie for this and I want to know which one is good...

Regards,
Jason

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?B?RmFiaeFuIEEuIEp14XJleiBNYXJ07W5leg==?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: PC-NFS
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:46:46 -0500

=======_NextPart_000_001E_01C00C8A.DA11E580

Yes! SAMBA has many qualities on function... Really, you need to test =
before a choice!

Do it! I've three Client-Server installation on live and... problems? =
what problems.

T. Odensson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribi=F3 en el mensaje de noticias =
39a15e73$0$72531$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Thanks for the start but I need to get pcnfsd installed/configured.  =
On
> Solaris it is rpc.pcnfsd, this is the daemon that I need to install or =
some
> type of similar daemon/service.  I have looked at LDP and the only =
thing it
> says about PC-NFS is:
>=20
> >You don't want to run PC-NFS. You want to run samba.
> >samba is far better than PC-NFS and it works with Windows 3 for =
Workgroups
> and later >versions of Windows. It's faster and more secure too. Use =
it.
> Really.
>=20
> Well... this is of no help, really.
>=20
>=20
> I guess to be a little more specific, I am using WebNFS and it needs =
user
> authentication, pcnfsd will provide that authentication.  Otherwise it =
will
> use the user/group nobody and you will not have any rights.  I do NOT =
want
> to assign those file to nobody.  I need to be able to "login" into =
WebNFS.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>=20
> Thanks for the help,
> T. Odensson
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > Hi!  I presume you mean you need to connect a PC running PC-NFS to =
your
> > NFS server running on Linux, right?  OR do you want to mount NFS
> > exported filesystems from a Windows NFS server into your Linux
> > filesystem?
> >
> > If you add the directories you want to export to "/etc/exports" (I =
think
> > it's called) on the Linux box and mae sure rpc.mountd (and possibly =
> > couple of other daemons) is running then PC-NFS should be able to =
see
> > the NFS daemon running on Linux and mount the shares.  Use the "man
> > nfsd" to learn more.  "man mount" might even have references to =
other
> > NFS man pages to read (on Linux of course).  Lastly, there's the =
Linux
> > NFS HOWTO which you can find at the Linux Documentation Project
> > (http://www.linuxdoc.org) web site.
> >
> > Too bad Samba is not an alternative for your because that would be =
MUCH
> > cheaper than buying PC-NFS licenses.  You can always run a free NFS
> > server on Windows and mount the NFS exports into your Linux =
filesystem.

> > Good luck!
> >
> > Peace....
> >
> > Tom
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
>=20
>=20

=======_NextPart_000_001E_01C00C8A.DA11E580

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" size=3D2>Yes! SAMBA has many qualities =
on=20
function... Really, you need to test before a choice!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" size=3D2>Do it! I've three =
Client-Server=20
installation on live and... problems? what problems.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Trebuchet MS" size=3D2>T. Odensson &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&gt; =
escribi=F3 en el=20
mensaje de noticias <A=20
href=3D"mailto:39a15e73$0$72531$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">39a15e73$0$7=
2531$[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>...</FONT></DIV><FONT=20
face=3D"Trebuchet MS" size=3D2>&gt; Thanks for the start but I need to =
get pcnfsd=20
installed/configured.&nbsp; On<BR>&gt; Solaris it is rpc.pcnfsd, this is =
the=20
daemon that I need to install or some<BR>&gt; type of similar=20
daemon/service.&nbsp; I have looked at LDP and the only thing it<BR>&gt; =
says=20
about PC-NFS is:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt;You don't want to run PC-NFS. You =
want to=20
run samba.<BR>&gt; &gt;samba is far better than PC-NFS and it works with =
Windows=20
3 for Workgroups<BR>&gt; and later &gt;versions of Windows. It's faster =
and more=20
secure too. Use it.<BR>&gt; Really.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Well... this is of =
no help,=20
really.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I guess to be a little more specific, =
I am=20
using WebNFS and it needs user<BR>&gt; authentication, pcnfsd will =
provide that=20
authentication.&nbsp; Otherwise it will<BR>&gt; use the user/group =
nobody and=20
you will not have any rights.&nbsp; I do NOT want<BR>&gt; to assign =
those file=20
to nobody.&nbsp; I need to be able to "login" into WebNFS.<BR>&gt; =
Anyone have=20
any ideas?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks for the help,<BR>&gt; T. =
Odensson<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Hi!&nbsp; I presume you mean you need to =
connect=20
a PC running PC-NFS to your<BR>&gt; &gt; NFS server running on Linux,=20
right?&nbsp; OR do you want to mount NFS<BR>&gt; &gt; exported =
filesystems from=20
a Windows NFS server into your Linux<BR>&gt; &gt; filesystem?<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; If you add the directories you want to export to=20
"/etc/exports" (I think<BR>&gt; &gt; it's called) on the Linux box and =
mae sure=20
rpc.mountd (and possibly a<BR>&gt; &gt; couple of other daemons) is =
running then=20
PC-NFS should be able to see<BR>&gt; &gt; the NFS daemon running on =
Linux and=20
mount the shares.&nbsp; Use the "man<BR>&gt; &gt; nfsd" to learn =
more.&nbsp;=20
"man mount" might even have references to other<BR>&gt; &gt; NFS man =
pages to=20
read (on Linux of course).&nbsp; Lastly, there's the Linux<BR>&gt; &gt; =
NFS=20
HOWTO which you can find at the Linux Documentation Project<BR>&gt; &gt; =
(<A=20
href=3D"http://www.linuxdoc.org">http://www.linuxdoc.org</A>) web =
site.<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Too bad Samba is not an alternative for your because =
that=20
would be MUCH<BR>&gt; &gt; cheaper than buying PC-NFS licenses.&nbsp; =
You can=20
always run a free NFS<BR>&gt; &gt; server on Windows and mount the NFS =
exports=20
into your Linux filesystem.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Good luck!<BR>&gt; =

&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Peace....<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Tom<BR>&gt; =
&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Sent via Deja.com <A=20
href=3D"http://www.deja.com/">http://www.deja.com/</A><BR>&gt; &gt; =
Before you=20
buy.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jeff)
Subject: Disk clone - almost
Date: 23 Aug 2000 03:52:39 GMT

For yucks, and for backup, I wrote a simple script to clone my harddisk.
The disk has several partitions, all ext2 (except for swap). A slightly
simplified version of the script follows: (live disk is /dev/hda and backup
is /dev/hdb - hdb has partition structure identical to hda's - fstab mounts
hda2 on /usr)

  #---- start of script ----
  mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt
  rsync -a --exclude "proc/" --exclude "usr/" --exclude "mnt/" /* /mnt
  mkdir /mnt/proc
  mkdir /mnt/usr
  mkdir /mnt/mnt
  umount /mnt

  mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt
  rsync -a /usr/* /mnt
  umount /mnt

  #...other partitions backed up here

  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=1
  #---- end of script ----

Well, much to my astonishment, this basically works - X, network, samba,
VMware, the works. Two questions, though...

1. I thought that the "dd" would copy the mbr such that the clone (hdb)
could be booted (rejumpered as hda, of course).  It apparently did not,
since I got "LI" and had to boot from a floppy and run lilo - then, I could
boot directly from the clone hard disk.  IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN PUT IN THE
SCRIPT TO BUILD A BOOTABLE MBR?

2. Could my technique have caused some lurking problem that I may not see
for a while?  I can see no obviously suspect boot messages and, as I
mentioned, everything seems ok.  ANY OTHER "HEALTH CHECKS" THAT I CAN DO?

Debian/potato, BTW - not that that should matter.

-jeff

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Firewall for Linux
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:41:14 -0700

Jason Ng wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to install a firewall on my Linux box. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
> I am a newbie for this and I want to know which one is good...
>
> Regards,
> Jason

I've been using Seattle Firewall, aka "Seawall".  Seems to do the job.
It's GPL and it's easy to set up.  You can get it at:

http://seawall.sourceforge.net/

--
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal."

                                        --Aristotle

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best way to learn "real world" skills?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:02:37 -0700

David Rysdam wrote:

> If you've already got a home network setup and you are doing basic
> things with Linux, I doubt a boot camp will be worth the money.
>
> It sounds like you want to change jobs anyway, so what I suggest is
> that you look for a position with a small company where you can be
> "the IT guy".  You make all the purchasing decisions, all the network
> arch decisions, etc.  Then you can start with mostly Windows and
> migrate to mostly Linux as you learn more and more.

I've been looking for just such a position.  However, they seem to be
few and far between.  From what I've seen, the only time something like
that opens up is because the IT guy who left finally burned out from
being asked to do too much with too little.  Not exactly the environment
I'd like.  I'm considering an ISP, but the 24/7 stuff is tough, and it's
generally the newbie that's going to get the awful shifts.