network? (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)

From: Paul Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SYSLOGD Hangs
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:50:22 -0500

Kart wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with the syslogd daemon.
> First let me expose :
>
> I'm settings up a bootable CD-ROM for my firewall (will be a diskless
> firewall with the full filesystem on CD). I'm working with a redhat 6.2. I
> installed the base system and removed some packages to free up some space. I
> did this by using the rpm command and never enforced to break dependencies.
> I added some features (iproute2 packages, some perl modules, etc.) and here
> it is, my system is ready for the CD recorder.
>
> But when I boot, the syslog daemon hangs. I tried to launch it "by hand"
> after boot :
> # syslogd -d
>
> This hangs too. No output, nothing !
> If I log into another console and launch :
> # ifconfig eth0 down
> Then a few seconds later, syslogd starts OK. When having back up eth0, some
> entries seems not to be logged (but I'm not sure).
<snip>

Run syslogd through strace (strace syslogd -d) and see what it is trying
to do when it hangs.

Paul

comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:58:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( George Jefferson ) writes:
> >
> >: while it's not forbidden, : can give problems in unix too since it's
> >: commonly used as a name separator.  e.g., in bash
> >: $ PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
> >
> > theres the rub with unix, you can put all kinds of funky stuff on the
> > file system, but you will break all kinds of applications with strange
> > characters, including very basic stuff like mv,rm,ls.  I'd stick with
> > printable ascii and prohibit all those same wildcards as makes DOS
> > choke, plus a few more like space~?[]{}()'"`|
>
> On UNIX, you can use anything but the directory separator (/)

you cannot use the null char \0 either.  i just got done saying that
but someone chopped it out.  that makes *two* chars you can't have in
a filename --  / and \0.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

za.local.cape-town,soc.culture.south-africa,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux 6.2 professional at a reasonable price.
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:01:10 GMT

"Mel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Peter H.M. Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8nvrt4$ifu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I would like to get a copy of Redhat Linux 6.2 professional and see that
> > Redhat is selling it at $179.95 - quite a lot for something that is free,
> > but still it is convenient and they are providing support.
> http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/redhatlinux.html
> Did you notice that that version is marked:
> NOT FOR EXPORT
> Not for export to, or sale to a national of, any country other than the U.S.
> and Canada, pursuant to U.S. law.

well, if you're outside the US, why would you care about US law?
nevermind who smuggled it out, once it reaches, e.g., somalia, it's
fair game!

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How do you pronounce GNOME?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:03:13 GMT

I've always wondered that.  How do you pronounce GNU?  If you know that
then GNOME will be similiar.  Some reason I've always thought GNOME was
pronouced: "nome".  But I'm not sure.  Took me forever to figure out
that I had been pronouncing Linux wrong.  As in "line-icks".  But soon
found out that Linux is pronounced "lynn-icks".  My $.02.

----

From: Greg Weston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:19:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Karsten Wutzke
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Karl B wrote:
>
> What about < and >, the smaller than and greater than characters?

< and > ("suck" and "blow" are my favorite names for them) are the
stream redirection characters.

The command

C:\> somecmd < input.txt > output.txt

will process the contents input.txt with somecmd and spit the results
to output.txt, and the only requirements on somecmd.exe are that it
read from stdin/cin and writes to stdout/cout.

From: Greg Weston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:26:01 GMT

Hi, Dave.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Older UNIX file systems have a 15-character filename limit.  Newer
> systems have a 255-character limit.  Some even have a 64K limit
> (although why anyone would need a filename longer than 255 characters is
> beyond me.)

Aw, rats. The IIgs had 8k filenames and I thought that was the winner.

> MacOS filenames have a 35-char limit on the original HFS file system.

31, actually, with a 27-character limit for volume names.

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:16:37 GMT

  In a message on Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:11:23 +0200, wrote :

KW> Hi all!
KW>
KW> Up-front:
KW> Sorry for posting in so many newsgroups, but I didn't know where to ask,
KW> especially with the Mac...
KW>
KW> I'm writing a Java (hooray) application where I'm generating plain ASCII
KW> files and I want the user to be able to choose whether s/he wants a
KW> Unix, Windows Joliet, MS-DOS or Mac file to be generated (it will also
KW> run on any of these platforms). It's not only about the carriage
KW> returns, but also about which characters are forbidden in file names AND
KW> how many characters long a file name and its extension can be at
KW> maximum, e.g. for DOS it's 8.3. Luckily Windows tells me that when
KW> creating an absolutely invalid filename, like /§&%(§%&)", the characters
KW> \ / : * ? " < > and | are forbidden, but what's the maximum filename
KW> length...? What about Linux or Unix in general? Don't they have
KW> different file naming systems? What were they based on...Minix file
KW> system? Don't remember... What about the Mac?

UNIX/Linux does not really forbid any character except '/' and the NUL
byte.  *Base* filename length depends on the directory entry structure.
The Ext2 file system (Linux) allows for upto 255 bytes for a file name.

It is a *pain* to deal with filenames with strange (and not so strange
characters), mainly characters that are shell control characters
(whitespace, ', ", &, ^, $, %, #, @, !, *, (, ), |, \, <, >, {, }, [, ],
:, ;, ?, ~. `, etc.), but nothing will forbid you from using them.

UNIX and Linux use case sensitive filenames.  MS-DOS/MS-Windows and
MacOS do not.

Newlines: just a line feed for UNIX, Carriage Return + Line Feed for
MS-DOS/MS-Windows and just a Carriage Return for MacOS.

KW> Can anyone explain WHY some characters are prohibited?

In the case of UNIX/Linux, the '/' is the directory separator and NUL is
the end-of-string marker.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:32:13 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> > And how do you enter killall X if your X server is so crashed that you cannot get
> > a CLI at all; i.e., when Control-Alt-PF[1-6] do nothing? The only suggestion I
> > have heard for this that I could use is to ssh (or telnet if I had it enabled)
> > into the machine from my other machine and do it from there. And if someone has
> > only a single machine that does not happen to be dialed into the Internet at the
> > time, he cannot do even that.
>
> Oh, and having just looked back in the thread to see the context a little
> more, you issue the kill command in the at instead of the shutdown...
>
> *THAT'S* WHEN how you can issue the killall X command...

Great idea if you know in advance when your X is going to lock up so you can enter it
into an at command...

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
Shrewsbury, New Jersey         /V\

------------------------------

From: "Mel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
za.local.cape-town,soc.culture.south-africa,linux.redhat.install,alt.os.linux
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:39:58 +0200

"Johan Kullstam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Did you notice that that version is marked:
> > NOT FOR EXPORT
> > Not for export to, or sale to a national of, any country other than the
U.S.
> > and Canada, pursuant to U.S. law.
> well, if you're outside the US, why would you care about US law?
> nevermind who smuggled it out, once it reaches, e.g., somalia, it's
> fair game!
I'm not in Somalia. I'm in South Africa. :)
I have an idea that their site is out of date, I think the export
legislation of cryptography has been changed.

The Professional package includes support in the price. If I wanted to make
use of that support I wouldn't be able to on an illegally exported package.
And it's sort of a principle thing too. I value Linux as an excellent
alternative to M. So that leads me to want to play the game and support them
so that they can continue to deliver a quality product.

--
Mel's new supersonic design

---oo-O-oo---
(Crash and burn!)

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:29:43 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> >> Rebooted??? Just to kill an X server?
> >> Rather wastefull, that. Killall X should be all you need, and at least then
> >> you still have a working system (Virtual Consoles).
>
> > And how do you enter killall X if your X server is so crashed that you
> > cannot get a CLI at all; i.e., when Control-Alt-PF[1-6] do nothing? The
> > only suggestion I have heard for this that I could use is to ssh (or
> > telnet if I had it enabled) into the machine from my other machine and do
> > it from there.
>
> Well,  when this IS the case, and even CTRL ALT F1...F6 don't work, you
> should still NOT reboot immediately...
> You should use the Magic SysRq key to resync your hard disks, remount all
> partitions read only and THEN and only then reboot.

Glad to hear it. Where is the action of the SysRq key documented, pray tell?

> It may be possible after you've taken the first two steps to recover the use
> of your computer by using ALT SysRq E.

... and the ALT SysRq E?

> This sends a tErm signal to all processes, which may kill the X Server.
> If it doesn't, you could try a ALT SysRq I which sends a kIll signal to all
> jobs (except for init).

... and the ALT SysRq I?

> Login on the virtual consoles will of course be respawned when the shells
> are terminated, so this might return you to a usable state.
>
> If that fails, then you can issue ALT SysRq B (for immediate boot).

... and the ALT SysRq B?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:28:24 GMT

I've seen the more and more websites like slashdot and other tech sites
are shunning windows and moving over various linux packages.  I moved
from windows to linux last march and so far, although it's been
complicated to set up I haven't looked back.  By contast, when using
windows on my notebook, I've found it frustrating to use and
unreliable.

The question I'd like to pose to the newsgroup would be what makes
Windows so unreliable and prone to crashing?

Is it the closed source nature of the kernel? Or is it just down to
incompetent programmers at Microsoft?  Surely MS should know that it
crashes a lot, and they release update after patch after upgrade and
there dosen't seem to be any improvement from windows95 to windows98 -
surely MS can be aware that they're cranking out buggy code, but they
don't do anything about it (but people still buy it - that's another
story...).  I can't understand why they haven't eliminated the
deaded 'invalid page' error yet, but Linux has surged on ahead in a
relativly short time.

Also, what improvements to Linux would you make to make it as
accessable and as popular to the general computer using populous?

Bill Gates obsessed with the idea of a computer in every home, but I
rather suspect that this 'vision' comes with the condition that it's
his OS installed on those computers.

So, what do you guys think?

Chris Crook

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux & windows can use same swap file?
Date: 23 Aug 2000 22:36:07 GMT

Dan Jacobson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I had this brilliant idea that Linux and windows could use the same swap
: area on disk thus saving the user from e.g., redundantly having two 128K

They can. See the various Win+Linux HOWTOs. You only have to place the
right swap signaure there jsut before (or just after) you boot to the
relevant OS.

: pros to debate.   [Nothing simpleminded me is planning on doing myself

Nothing to debate. Known technique. Years old.

: etc., so no need to e-mail me the details, I wouldn't understand it
: anyway.]   It seems however that the savings is so small that one

You can save a gigabyte or so, if you have a mind to! And on my PC,
4MB swap is a luxury I can't afford.

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Programming /dev/ttyS* in Unix
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:44:12 -0400

Pliev wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Do you can to say to me, how in Unix (Linux) can to program COM ports
> (/dev/ttyS*).
> Which functions I must to use? I programmed in Win32 earlier, and used
> function CreateFile,
> WriteFile etc. Which analogs this functions using  in Unix. I want to
> program a information
> interchange for modem.
> If you can,send to  me please a simple example on C.
>
> Thanks!

You could use

   * file_des = open(const char* path, int oflag, ...
   * return = close(int file_des)
   * offset = lseek(int file_des, off_t offset, int whence)
   * n_bytes = read(int file_des, void* buf, unsigned int n_bytes)
   * n_bytes = write(int filedes, const void* buf, unsigned int n_bytes)

to begin with... .

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: small installation
Date: 23 Aug 2000 22:26:21 GMT

Arlan Lucas de Souza ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[ > I am looking for a linux installation that I can do from diskette, and
[ > will be very small after installation. It needs to run on a I386 laptop
[ > with a 200mg HD.

[ Search for:

[ smalllinux (smalllinux.netpedia.net)
[ mulinux
[ freesco

why dont you go with moof so you can have your mp3's too ;-)
Also on freshmeat. It stands for mp3 on a floppy IIRC

Hey, I'm just saving you some time
--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Aug 2000 22:46:51 GMT

Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:> Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
:> You should use the Magic SysRq key to resync your hard disks, remount all
:> partitions read only and THEN and only then reboot.

: Glad to hear it. Where is the action of the SysRq key documented, pray tell?

It's been a well known secret for ages. Used to be patches, then it got
into the kernel mainstream, and now it's a compile option.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 Aug 2000 22:49:27 GMT

Pliev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello!

: Do you can to say to me, how in Unix (Linux) can to program COM ports
: (/dev/ttyS*).
: Which functions I must to use? I programmed in Win32 earlier, and used

Read the Serial-Programming-HOWTO.

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Use linux machine to handle automated backups from windows and mac
systems on network?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:59:12 -0400

Vito Prosciutto wrote:

> OK, here's what's sitting (or soon to be sitting) in my office:
>
> Mac 8500 running Mac OS 9
> Wintel clone running Win2K Pro
> Wintel clone running some variant of Linux
> Cable modem
> whatever cables, hubs, etc. that I will need.
>
> What I'd like to be able to do with the linux box is have it run
> automated back-ups of itself and the networked wintel and mac machines.
> The idea being that I'd periodically walk over to the linux box, pop in
> a new tape and feel secure that I've always got a current back-up of
> all my systems.
>
> So the question is: is this a realistic prospect? What will I need to
> mount the drives from the Wintel and Mac boxes? What back-up software
> (and tape drive) is recommended for this sort of scenario (I really
> want the back-up to be as self-sufficient as possible and be able to
> deal with scenarios like locked files on the remote systems or the
> remote systems being completely inaccessible (the Mac is usually kept
> powered off & is set to shut down at 3am daily if I leave it on
> overnight).
>
> -vp
>
> --
> "Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

If you are like me (I have two machines), you want the thing to run by
itself while you are asleep. You must have access to the other machines. I
happen to back up each machine on itself, since both have tape drives. The
old machine has a floppy tape that will hold about 850 Megabytes on QIC
tapes (about $30 a piece). I have cron fork off a process at about 4AM
that runs find to select the files to backup and dump that into cpio to
get them onto the tape. Works fine.

My other machine (this one) has a DDS-2 drive on it that holds about 8
Gigabytes. It is big enough for my 2 9.1 Gibabyte hard drives at the
moment, since they are by no means full. I use the BRU software package,
and I use CRU to make OBDR tapes about once a month. I have cron run BRU
from the /etc/cron.daily directory.

Since the machines are hooked together by a 100MHz ethernet, I could back
up everything to the DDS-2 drive. I hesitate to do this because as this
machine fills up, it will come to pass that I run out of tape and the
backup will hang, waiting for me to change the tape. (Actually, the way it
is set up now, it will just abort) But all I would have to do is have nfs
on the other system export (in its /etc/exports file) the file systems I
want so I could see them from this system to do it. ... and have
appropriate entries on this machine's /etc/fstab and have nfs running, of
course.

But I have never tried it. If you have a big enough tape drive (DDS-3 or
DDS-4 (if it exists), perhaps it is the way to go.