From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Use linux machine to handle automated backups from windows and mac
systems on network?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:52:59 -0400

Vito Prosciutto wrote:

> Oh, and one more thing: Assuming I use NFS to mount the disks, is this
> capability built into Win 2k and Mac OS 9 on their ends?
>
> -dh
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I forgot about that. I know I could do it with my machines because only
the other machine runs Windows (95), but it normally runs Linux and Linux
can see the Windows partition.

I suppose you would need some kind of server on the Windows (or Mac OS 9)
machine for NFS to talk to. I run S on this machine so Windows can see
it. I do not know enough about Samba to know if it can see the client's
files, but I doubt it. I would suppose you would need to run some kind of
NFS server on the Windows machine. If Win2k is close enought to NT and is
running as a server, perhaps Samba as a client could deal with it. I hope
someone with more experience than I can help you.

--
Jean-David Beyer               .~.
Shrewsbury, New Jersey         /V\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Morgan)
Subject: Re: Aww, man!  !  ! ! !!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:59:51 GMT

well i got it to work @ 1024x768 x 8bpp... it wont use 24 or 16 no
matter what i do!       I've tried disable the options one by one
until its unusable again, but it still defaults to 256 :o(
i found out that it was a monitor problem tho... i only had it set up
to be able to display 31.5 H  70 V
hehehe :o)
ohwell... im back on windows now, but im not likin it!

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:49:21 GMT

<8o0b86$pl5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> :>M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Well, of course. You are on it. Go away. And stop whatever daemons are
> running on it (and next time, learn to partition properly .. /var
should
> not be on /). You'll find it helpful to send init to level S, and then
> kill daemons one by one. You can bring the init level back up later.

> Ignore it. It's fine on a ro partition, but you'lll have to reboot
> immediately afterwards if any changes were made. Owww.

> Sure they can. Get this nonsense out of your head. Find your own
> perceptual error!

> Sure you can. How else are you managing to boot from one!

> Stop fscking up, and stop confusing yourself. There is no problem and
you
> don't have to create any ... if you have a concrete problem to solve,
post
> it, with clear error messages and command lines, and you will get the
> first step in the solution posted to you. When you have fixed that,
move
> on to the next.
>
> As to your partition being busy when you try and remount it readonly,
> well, natch. Unbusy it.

The poster ask for help, not hell : lighten up.  We are all ignorant,
just about different things.  No one was born knowing much of any-
thing.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Keith Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Load balancing on apache web server
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:02:43 +1000

Does any one here know how to setup load balancing on the apache wen
server.

------------------------------

From: "Eduardo Rodriguez E." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: RE: How to start the ftp?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:10:20 +0200

Mattias Nilsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Alan Po wrote:
>
> > Dear sir
> >
> > I am using Mandrake Linux and I find that the ftp server is not
> > automatically startup. How can I run a ftp server on my Linux? Please
give
> > me some idea.
> >
> > Furhtermore, I found that Mandrake Linux request to run many servers by
> > manual such as Apache or Samba. How can I config the Linux so that these
> > servers will run when startup?
> >
> > Alan Po
>
> Using DrakConf on your desktop is the easiest way. Press startup and add
> ftpd.

    Well, I had the same problem and could not find "ftpd" in the
Configuration menu ... then I tried to find something called "ftpd" ... and
didn't.

    The problem is that ftpd is not installed, so go into your distribution,
look for ... mmm ... wu-ftpd-*.*.*.rpm . You will find it in Mandrake/RPMS/

    As root run:
        rpm -i wu-ftpd-2.6.0-3mdk.i586.rpm       (this is my case)

Now the ftp server will be installed and ready to run. Try and do "ftp
localhost".  I have fixed this this morning in my laptop!

Greetings.

PD: telnet has the same problem, but I do not know the name of the package
containing it. Could anybody tell us?   Thanks in anticipation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:09:34 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 03:26:10 GMT, Ingemar Lundin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Really? And what was that? pdp-11? ;-)

Actually I started with PDP-8 systems. My first user interface
was the switches on the front panel used to toggle in the paper
tape loader.  (Who needs a GUI, just using bash is reveling in
shameless luxury to me... :-)

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:15:39 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (in part):

> So what can be done to make Linux more attractive to the average end
> user?  In my experience the PC using bloke in the street is not readily
> impressed by the technically impressive features of linux, as they are
> not impressed much by the technical feats acheived by MS.  Is it true
> to say that buyers are led to such an extent that windows is used on
> nearly 90% of the worlds computers (MS claim, btw) purely by
> advertising? (I guess lucritive OEM deals play some part too).
>
> I suspect that the games market has to play the biggest part in getting
> people to choose an OS - 'made for win95', etc...which leads to another
> question - why are games developers reluctant to port games, which are
> largly written in C to the linux platform?

I am not sure I accept this. Most of the non-professional-programmers I
know that have purchased a computer have never chosen an OS or even a
hardware architecture (i.e., they did not decide between MacIntosh and
PC). They went into a computer store and bought a machine at about the
price point they could afford. They got whatever the store had to sell and
the OS that is on there. They do not really know there is an OS: that is
just something the computer does. In the old days, if they went into a
MacIntosh store by mistake, they walked out because the prices were too
high.

I have helped two people buy computers. In each case, I had them get a
Dell box with the current Microsoft Windows in it. Neither of them had
ever used a computer before, and wanted it mainly for e-mail, web
browsing, and minor word processing (writing personal letters, and such).
So the merits of the hardware really did not matter much. While I was
running Linux by then (and had many years experience running UNIX
systems), I did not feel they would be up to being a Unix SysAdmin. I do
not really care for it myself. When I bought my first PC in 1996, I did
enquire about running Unix on it. I had never heard of Linux, and the
licenses for Unix were too expensive at the time. I did not care if I got
a windowing system or not. So I got Windows. I had a choice of 3.1 or 95.
I picked 95 because it was supposed to be a real multiprogramming
operating system and not just a band-aid applied over DOS. I had been
forced to run Windows 2.1 or something on a 286 once  and knew I would
never do that again. My experience with W95 was unsatisfactory and after
about a year or two, I abandonned it and got Red Hat Linux 5.0 in early
1998 (when it first came out).

Interestingly enough, my first friend is frustrated enough with W95, and
uses only Netscape and Word, that I have considered installing Linux on
her machine. I have not quite gotten up to doing it though (she has 2
2gigabyte partitions unused on her hard drive). I have suggested it and
she is considering it. I think her needs are so modest that she could use
it with either KDE or GNOME interface. I do not know if she would want to
pay for Applixware, so I will have to see if she could deal with
StarOffice. The trouble with that is that I never tried it, so I would be
no help. I do not think I would try to get her to use LaTex or troff,
though.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.music.filk,alt.2600,rec.humor
Subject: Re: FYA - Parody: Microsoft Pie (The Day the Servers Died)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:19:07 -0400

Coud someone post that again?
My news server seems to have missed it.

TIA

news:8nvsuu$7na$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jeff)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: mirroring an hd
Date: 24 Aug 2000 14:18:50 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:39:40 GMT, The Contact <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Emilio Federici wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody!, I'm about to change my old hd to a new one and I'd like
>> to know which is the best way to move the whole Linux system from the
>> old to the new hd, so that I can boot Linux from the new hd as I did
>> with old one.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>If you have a rescue-disk (or a mini-distribution of linux, or a
>bootable linux-cd) you can use dd.
>Let's say that your first hd is hda. Just plug in the new hd (hdc f.i.),
>and reboot with the resue/bootable-cd/minidistro. Then all you have to
>do is
>
># dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
>
>This copies the entire harddisk to the new. If the new one is bigger (or
>you want to have another setup of partitions) you should first place the
>new hd as hda, partition it how you want and then, for each partition
>you had on you old drive (which is now set as hdc)
>
># if=/dev/hdc# of=/dev/hda#
>
>This should do the trick. Don't forget to keep the old hd (don't erase
>it) until you're sure everything is all right.
>
>I haven't tried this myself, so please post feedback/results.
>
>WKR,

There may be a problem if the two disks have different geomtries -
/boot/boot.d seems to be sensitive.  Worst case is that lilo won't boot from
harddisk.  If so, just boot to new system via floppy, and issue lilo
command.

Not sure about this, but dd _may_ be problematic if either hard disk has bad
sectors.  Of course, rsync, cp, and whatever else, may also have problems -
but they're "higher level" so may shield from some problems.

-jeff

------------------------------

From: "Eduardo =?iso-8859-1?q?Mu=F1oz?=" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: small installation
Date: 24 Aug 2000 16:27:26 +0000

David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> debian.com is set up as a forwarder to debian.org, it doesn't matter
> which you use

I tested yesterday and it didn't work.
(Maybe it was down)

--

Eduardo Muñoz

Debian GNU/Linux 2.2

------------------------------

From: Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: BIOS?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:25:06 -0400

The Dell manual should have this info. in it.  If you can't find the
manual, or the info. can't be found, then you many want to consider
calling Dell Tech. Support so they can direct you through the BIOS.
Dell is installing Linux on sone systems, so they may be able to offer
more help beyond just what menu to select.

Dennis,

------------------------------

From: Eugene Y Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rdist and rsync
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:29:30 -0400

I am running an rdist server and have been serving several machines for
a while now with no problems.  But I just added a machine to the list,
and this morning I recieved and error

root@thlpc: thlpc: REMOTE ERROR: //misc: rmdir failed: No such file or
directory
root@thlpc: LOCAL ERROR: update: unexpected response to query 'tftpboot'
root@thlpc: LOCAL ERROR: update: unexpected response to query 'win'
root@thlpc: LOCAL ERROR: update: unexpected response to query ''
root@thlpc: thlpc: Qbin
root@thlpc: Y4096 935424222 755 root root

Now I have had other machines with a misc directory and those worked no
problems.  Both machines with a misc directory were running 6.2  I had
this problem with the /net directory before and it went away once I
removed the directory manually, but I would like to track down the
source of this problem.

Also, can anyone tell me the difference between rdist and rsync?

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:31:08 -0400

Roger Blake wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:28:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >The question I'd like to pose to the newsgroup would be what makes
> >Windows so unreliable and prone to crashing?
>
> Awful, isn't it? I was using operating systems 25 years ago that
> were more stable and better performers than Windows. It's not like
> Microsoft was blazing a new trail and had no prior art to draw upon.

My complaint against Microsoft is that anyone presuming to write a new operating
system (or any other
program for that matter), unless doing it as a student exercise, should make it better
than what had gone
before. Thus, someone in the field of language design once said that Algol-60 was
years ahead of most of
its successors. Likewise, the Burroughs B5500 series computers were years ahead of
most of the computers
that came after them. Perhaps the same can be said about UNIX and now Linux.
Certainly, Windows is about
15 years behind the time.

I have been running Unix and Linux systems since the early 1970s. At the beginning,
Unix was pretty
unreliable and would crash almost every day. By 1980, crashes were unusual. I worked
in a department that
supported a bunch of PDB11/70s and VAX-11/780s. We had a large community of users
(perhaps a hundred or
so) doing software development both for those machines and cross-compiling for
communication systems such
as PBXs and stuff and about a dozen machines. We had, perhaps, a crash a week (total,
not per machine).
By 1990, I was running a Dell box with a version of Unix provided by Dell. I think
they wrote it. It
worked 24/7 for the four years I worked at that company and the only times we rebooted
it were to change
hardware (we were doing a communication system and we needed to add telephone
interface boards (Dialogic,
not modems) and memory once in a while). The software never crashed at all in 4 years.

> One of the major problems with Windows is that the OS is not insulated well
> from applications. This is one of the cardinal rules of OS design, a user
> application should not be able to corrupt the operating system.

As Fred Brooks and David Parnas have been pointing out for about 3 decades now,
separation of concerns
and information hiding key components in the management of complexity. And management
of complexity is
the major stumbling block in designing good systems, and has been since, I would
guess, about 1975.
Microsoft has made no contributions to management of complexity.

> Notice how
> on Linux systems, all you usually have to do to install an application is
> plop the files into a convenient directory and execute.  However, on a
> Windows system when apps are installed they almost always modify the OS
> by replacing critical system DLLs, making entries in the registry, etc.

The fact that Windows can manage only one .dll of a given name is a killer. When I
first got my PC with
Windows 95, I bought Microsoft Office Professional and Microsoft Visual C++. I could
not run both.
Whichever one I installed last would work, but they had conflicting .dlls. The
goddamned company's
products were incompatible with one another!

When I tried to get support, I had to talk to either an Office type or a Visual C++
type. Each one told
me which .dll to load. When I pointed out that I had to use both products, they could
do nothing. There
was no one who had a larger view there. Incompetant company. I solved it by switching
to Linux, of
course, where I could have had both versions of the .dlls (.so's in the Linux and Unix
case, of course).
They do not even do dynamically linked libraries correctly. I assume they never will.

From: The Contact <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:36:35 GMT

jeff wrote:
> There may be a problem if the two disks have different geomtries -
> /boot/boot.d seems to be sensitive.  Worst case is that lilo won't boot from
> harddisk.  If so, just boot to new system via floppy, and issue lilo
> command.

True, true.

> Not sure about this, but dd _may_ be problematic if either hard disk has bad
> sectors.  Of course, rsync, cp, and whatever else, may also have problems -
> but they're "higher level" so may shield from some problems.

Also correct, dd just copies the bits. If the bits are wrongly set,
it'll copy the bad bits. rsync and cp will do just the same, I suppose,
but the main reason I presented dd was because it copies bitwise, while
cp and rsync etc... will have problems with certain directories (/dev,
/proc). Maybe excluding these directories will help, but I'm not sure. A
good backup-utility for Linux (and published under the GPL-license) is
something I'm searching after since the first day I installed Linux
(good back-up meaning something like Norton Ghost, thus working with
images - like dd).

--
The Contact
"Knowledge should be free; appliance not."

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Power failure - how do I fix...
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:46:55 -0400

Murray Alexander wrote:

> I have a Linux box running (at least it WAS running) RedHat 6.x. I divided
> the hard drive into 4 partitions, and set them up as /, swap, /usr, and
> /var. A power failure messed up the partition containing /var, and I had to
> run fsck. After taking the default answers to such questions as "Clear this
> inode?" and "Delete duplicated data blocks", the /var filesystem contains
> nothing.
>
> So, how do I figure out what needs to be there? I remember that I need a
> /var/log directory, a /var/spool directory and a few others. What I'm
> looking for is an authoritative list (if such exists) of what should be
> there, or what likely ought to be there.
>
> I can't find such a list. Anybody got any ideas as to exactly where to RTFM?

If you are lucky, it may regenerate the stuff as needed.

When you do get it straightened out, you may wish to get a UPS so it does not
happen again. I get good results with APC (www.apcc.com) Smart-UPS units
myself. I have one for each machine.

Here is what is on top on my machine:

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -l /var
total 23
drwxr-x---   3 db2inst1 db2iadm1     1024 Apr 15 10:50 IBMdb2
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Feb 22  2000 arpwatch
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Feb 22  2000 cache
drwxrwxr-x  14 root     man          1024 Aug 24 01:03 catman
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Feb 22  2000 db
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Apr 15 06:48 db2
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Apr 19  1999 dhcpd
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Apr  8  1999 gated
drwxr-x---   2 gdm      gdm          1024 Aug 23 19:32 gdm
drwxr-xr-x  12 root     root         1024 Apr  1 17:26 lib
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Feb 24  2000 local
drwxrwxr-x   6 root     uucp         1024 Aug 24 10:34 lock
drwxr-xr-x   7 root     root         2048 Aug 20 01:03 log
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Apr 15 22:55 lum
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           10 Feb 22  2000 mail -> spool/mail
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Sep 10  1999 mars_nwe
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Jun 26 10:57 named
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Feb  6  1996 nis
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Feb  6  1996 preserve
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Aug 24 10:35 run
drwxr-xr-x  14 root     root         1024 Feb 22  2000 spool
drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root         1024 Aug 24 03:10 tmp
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Aug 14 17:42 yp
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

I suppose you could start with them. You almost certainly will not need IBMdb2,
db2, or lum.

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:57:34 -0400

Emilio Federici wrote:

> Hi everybody!, I'm about to change my old hd to a new one and I'd like
> to know which is the best way to move the whole Linux system from the
> old to the new hd, so that I can boot Linux from the new hd as I did
> with old one.

I do not suppose you have one of the HP OBDR tape drives. If you do, make
an OBDR tape of your system (may take more than one tape, although mine
hold 8 gigabytes). OBDR is One Button Disaster Recovery. It backs up all
the files on your file system (so if you want to exclude something, you
must unmount those partitions).

Then you put the new drive or drives on your system (they must be as
large, or larger than what you already have (had). You boot the system,
holding the eject button on the drive for 5 seconds. The drive pretends
to be a CDROM and your BIos boots from it, It makes all the file systems
and restores everything (even the "files" in /dev). I make the tapes, but
I have never had the nerve to do a total restore. If someone would lend
me a suitable box, I would try it.

I have on of these: http://www.hp.com/tape/mechs/c1599a.html

and OBDR is described at: http://www.hp.com/tape/papers/obdr_ov.html