From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: marking 'bad' sectors?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:59:42 -0500

-ljl- wrote:

> In article <8o2s3t$flg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Quentin Christensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer) wrote in
> <8o0b86$pl5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > :>M. Buchenrieder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > :>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > Well, of course. You are on it. Go away. And stop whatever daemons are
> > running on it (and next time, learn to partition properly .. /var
> should
> > not be on /). You'll find it helpful to send init to level S, and then
> > kill daemons one by one. You can bring the init level back up later.
>
> > Ignore it. It's fine on a ro partition, but you'lll have to reboot
> > immediately afterwards if any changes were made. Owww.

> > Sure they can. Get this nonsense out of your head. Find your own
> > perceptual error!

> > Sure you can. How else are you managing to boot from one!

> > Stop fscking up, and stop confusing yourself. There is no problem and
> you
> > don't have to create any ... if you have a concrete problem to solve,
> post
> > it, with clear error messages and command lines, and you will get the
> > first step in the solution posted to you. When you have fixed that,
> move
> > on to the next.
> >
> > As to your partition being busy when you try and remount it readonly,
> > well, natch. Unbusy it.
>
> The poster ask for help, not hell : lighten up.  We are all ignorant,
> just about different things.  No one was born knowing much of any-
> thing.
>
> --
> Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

You are not going to turn Peter Breuer into a hand holding softee.
Let's just be thankful he is willing to offer his often very
useful expertise for our benefit.  If you don't like the way
he offers advice, and you feel up to it, just translate it into
what you feel is a more navie-user friendly manner and don't
bother with the editorial comments.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good books
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:47:15 +0100

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Since I'll get more and more involved with Linux I would like some
>recommendations about good books.
>I prefer Red Hat and it would also be good if it's updated for the
>latest release (6.2 at the moment).

Here are some that I like:

"Special Edition Using Red Hat Linux" by Alan Simpson, pub. Que,
ISBN 0-7897-2258-5. (covers version 6.2 and includes it on CD)
This includes most of the basic stuff you'll need to know, and includes some
more advanced stuff like setting up servers and programming.

"Practical Linux" by M Drew Strieb and Michael Turner,
pub. Que, ISBN 0-7897-2251-8
One of the easiest to understand introductions to Linux.

"Running Linux" by Matt Welsh et al, pub. O'Reilly, ISBN 1-56592-469-X
One of the best introductory books. Goes into a fair amount of technical detail.

"Linux Desk Reference" by Scott Hawkins, pub. Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-016391-0
Most of the commands you'll ever use, listed by function. A great reference.

"Practical KDE" by Dennis E Powell, pub. Que, ISBN 0-7897-2216-X
A great introduction to KDE and its apps, including configuration.

"Mastering Gnome" by Bryan Pfaffenberger, pub. Sybex, ISBN 0-7821-2625-1
A great book on Gnome, but doesn't cover the latest 1.2 version.

"Learning the bash Shell" by Cameron Newham and Bill Rosenblatt,
pub. O'Reilly, ISBN 1-56592-347-2
Essential for really getting to grips with the command line.

And for later on, when you get more expert:

"Essential System Administration" by Aeleen Frisch, pub. O'Reilly,
ISBN 1-56592-127-5
Unix, rather than Linux, but will really broaden your knowledge of Linux.

I'm pretty sure that Amazon carry all of these. If you come across some other
good ones, maybe you could let us know about them.

--
Garry Knight

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.misc
Subject: Re: Operating system file name restrictions? Where?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 00:11:03 +0100

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, George Jefferson wrote:

>the left < redirects input similarly under unix, but i dont know about DOS.

It does the same thing in DOS.

--
Garry Knight

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If XWin hang, how to kill it
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:15:50 GMT

Jean-David Beyer writes:
> So I am still not sure if it does anything from GNOME/Enlightenment-X
> Window System (where I usually run) or not.

It never would have occurred to me to try to run it from X.

'syrq' was a typo.  Sorry.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: mazzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Internet telephony clients for Linux
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:34:40 +0200

Hi there...i just wanted to know if there are any programs like Net2phone or
mediaring talk for linux......or if there are portings of these programs for
the linux platform....
Thanks a lot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil)
Subject: Re: Load balancing on apache web server
Date: 24 Aug 2000 17:08:14 GMT

Keith Lockwood -[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]- spewed forth the following rubbish:
>Does any one here know how to setup load balancing on the apache wen
>server.

mod_backhand is a load balancing module for Apache.
www.backhand.org
Phil.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux vs. Windows 9x/NT
Date: 24 Aug 2000 09:28:41 -0700

Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (in part):
>
> > So what can be done to make Linux more attractive to the average end
> > user?  In my experience the PC using bloke in the street is not readily
> > impressed by the technically impressive features of linux, as they are
   ...<snip>...
> I have helped two people buy computers. In each case, I had them get a
> Dell box with the current Microsoft Windows in it. Neither of them had
> ever used a computer before, and wanted it mainly for e-mail, web
> browsing, and minor word processing (writing personal letters, and such).
   ...<snip>...
> Interestingly enough, my first friend is frustrated enough with W95, and
> uses only Netscape and Word, that I have considered installing Linux on
> her machine. I have not quite gotten up to doing it though (she has 2
   ...<snip>.. I do not know if she would want to
> pay for Applixware, so I will have to see if she could deal with
> StarOffice. The trouble with that is that I never tried it, so I would be
> no help. I do not think I would try to get her to use LaTex or troff,
> though.

        Another possibility might by Lyx.  My daughter was using that
word processor that comes with Windows 3.1 (can't remember the name offhand,
the default one, not Word), but we removed the Windows 3.1 partition so now
she uses Lyx which is related to LaTex and can produce LaTex output but
is WSYWIG in nature.  The only problem with it is that is uses Xforms
though I've heard they're working on changing that, maybe to Tcl/Tk.

    ------  Remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address   -----

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Aug 2000 10:43:56 -0600

James Helferty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> mlw wrote:
>
> > This who[le] XML hysteria worries me. We have people thinking that it is
> > something other than a very inefficient text based file format. Example:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
> > <!DOCTYPE RESULTSET SYSTEM "http://fubar.com/fubar.dtd">
> > <RESULTSET>
> >   <RESULT ID="0" >
> >     <MATCHES>0</MATCHES>
> >     <TIME>0.1605</TIME>
> >     <RATINGS>0</RATINGS>
> >     <MAXSCORE>2510</MAXSCORE>
> >     <SCORE>6947</SCORE>
> >     <SIZE>6536</SIZE>
> >     <LANGUAGE>_LANG1_</LANGUAGE>
> >     <DATE>957148708</DATE>
> >     <FORMAT>0</FORMAT>
> >     <MODDATE>0</MODDATE>
> >   </RESULT>
> > </RESULTSET>
> >
> > That's all that XML is, nothing more. It can not replace programs, it is
> > not a new concept in operating systems.
>
> [nod]  It's good for storing databases as text, which means it makes
> sense to integrate it with HTML.  But if you start using it for other
> things, it becomes kinda.. fruity..

Take a look at MacOS X Bundles:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/corefoundation/BundleServices/CFBundleServices/index.html

It use XML the way it should be used (as an architecture-agnostic
manner of storing a small ammount of information) and literally makes
installing applications as easy as dragging them to wherever you want
to put them.  I hope these people aren't trying to do something more
complicated than this, as this is the utopia of application
installation (IMHO).  You can drag a bundle to wherever you want to
place it (hard disk, network, removable media, ram disk, whatever) and
it will always work; even adding it's shared libraries to the search
path.  A bundle can hold binaries and source for a number of
architectures.  It also contains meta information about itself in a
standardized manner, which allows automation of program registration
and network updates.

Linux is halfway there already with RPM and deb; but the ultimate goal
is to just get rid of them.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:56:16 -0700

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> This who XML hysteria worries me. We have people thinking that it is
> something other than a very inefficient text based file format. Example:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
> <!DOCTYPE RESULTSET SYSTEM "http://fubar.com/fubar.dtd">
> <RESULTSET>
>   <RESULT ID="0" >
>     <MATCHES>0</MATCHES>
>     <TIME>0.1605</TIME>
>     <RATINGS>0</RATINGS>
>     <MAXSCORE>2510</MAXSCORE>
>     <SCORE>6947</SCORE>
>     <SIZE>6536</SIZE>
>     <LANGUAGE>_LANG1_</LANGUAGE>
>     <DATE>957148708</DATE>
>     <FORMAT>0</FORMAT>
>     <MODDATE>0</MODDATE>
>   </RESULT>
> </RESULTSET>
>
> That's all that XML is, nothing more. It can not replace programs, it is
> not a new concept in operating systems.

Even if the original poster got his terminology confused.  I imagine that
what was being proposed here is using our computers running web browsers
serving and the frontends of applications programs, with the core of the
programs running on the web servers as webpages using CGI's.  And possibly
major programs running say as a replacement for an suite of office
productivity programs which communicate with web browser clients as
webservers in their own right.

Can this work?  It depends on the programs being replaced, but it can work
for some programs.  This does not eliminate the need for application
programs it just relocates it from you computer to that of the web servers.
But being possible does not make it desireable.  This does not eliminate all
programs, and never could unless a user limits their need to software to
only what can be handled this way.  However there are too many issues and
concerns for this to be desireable.

Years ago when there was no other viable option for most people and they
needed direct computer interaction, they would rent access on a timeshare
system.  Using a teletype terminal or a dumb terminal to communicate via a
modem with the timeshare host.  The bandwidth of the connection was low by
today's standards (150 baud or 300 baud), but since it was not a shared
resource it was servicable.  The bottle neck was the performance of the
timeshare host.  Often you might have to wait from several seconds to a few
minutes and seeing the result of it echoed on the screen.  These delays were
caused by the timeshare host becomming too busy to keep up.

As soon as any viable options were available, the timeshare system were
abandoned by the users in droves.  People in general found the 8-bit, 8K -
48K RAM, 1Mhz - <2Mhz micros much more desireable over the timeshare
systems.

The proposal offered here has all the hallmarks of returning us to the
timeshare era with all of its problems and issues.  The text only ASR-33's
and LS-120's text only terminals would be replaced with web client
terminals.  The 150 baud and 300 baud non-shared connection would be replace
by TCP/IP shared connections.  The timeshare hosts would be replaced by web
servers running the application programs.

That is all window dressing, what that would really amount to is a return to
yester year's computing.  Imagine performance when several thousand or
million (or billion?) users are all competing for the same servers.  We
should not forget the past and so we should not be condemed to repeat it.

------------------------------

From: Juergen Neuhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE and Gnome
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:07:58 +0100

I have installed a Red Hat Linux 6.2 with the Gnome GUI.
How can I also install the KDE and use both according
to what I need at a given time?

Juergen Neuhoff

------------------------------

From: "Dan Cernat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: howto configure linux kernel?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:14:10 -0400

Hello

Probabely this is something pretty easy, but I cannot figure out how to do
it. I am new with Linux and I am trying to install the Oracle 8 server on my
machine. In the installation guide, they say that I have to perform some
tasks as the root user, such as configure LINUX Kernel. Mainly, I have to
"set the kernel parameters" : SHMMAX, SHMMIN and others. How do I do that. I
assume that these parameters should be placed in a file or somewhere in
order to be set everytime the system boots up. Any Ideas?

TIA
Dan

------------------------------

From: id <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome/KDE/X question
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:10:42 GMT

> your video card has a lot of RAM and processing power, why not just
> leave it at 32-bit color all the time?

Because switching from X to a text terminal was causing a color palette
screw up that I could only fix by hitting CTRL-ALT-BKSP in X to restart
X, which meant losing everything I was working on since I couldn't read
anything on the screen anyways.

-id

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Re: XWindow Managers
Date: 24 Aug 2000 17:17:47 GMT

paul simdars ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[ > And, as long as I have you here . . .

[ When I got my X back, I recalled the reason I had been fooling around in the
[ menues in the first place.  Namely, I must have hit a funny key sequence or
[ something but the top bar (the title bar) on my window disappeared.  Who
[ cares about the title anyway.  But, that bar also contains the close box,
[ and the size box and most important of all -- that is where you go to move a
[ window.   So, I am not able to move any windows and if I start a program,
[ its window is on the top and I cannot access any other program until I quit
[ the program on top (no tasks show up in the task bar).  It's a real pain.
[ If you know about this one I'd love to hear it.  I looked all over for where
[ you set up the title bars, etc.

to help u switch to different apps without the titlebar try alt-tab a
couple of times, but that is not for ALLwindow managers. SOmetimes you
ahve to go to configuration or control-center to find out what the
window-switching keyboard shortcuts are. WHo knows, you might even
stumble upon the way to bring those titlebars back! (You haven't told us
whether yo uuse KDE/GNOME/fvwm). THe more WE know, the more likely
somebody out there can help you.

you can also take a look at .xdefaults in your home directory. Putz
around in it ONLY if you know what you're doing

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: X11R6.5.1? XFree86 4.0? Do I need them?
Date: 24 Aug 2000 17:21:11 GMT

I have an old 233Mhz PC with a Diamond Stealth+Voodoo1 card, so it may
not be worth the trouble or time-to-download.

Can anyone explain what each one does, or what the difference is? It
would help this guy as well as the newbies. Mooch has grassy ass.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: remote dump error
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:17:01 GMT

I am trying to do a remote rdump from one LINUX
machine (redhat) to another that has a tape drive
attached to it.  In doing so, I get the following
error message and nothing dumps.

Permission denied.
TCP_MAXSEG setsockopt: Bad file descriptor

Thanks for any help.

From: "Axel Scheepers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP afio<->iomega zip problems?
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:39:45 +0200

Hello there,
I use the iomega zip drive as a backup medium for my home partition on my
linux server. For compression reasons i use the afio program in the
following way:
find ${DIR_TO_BACKUP} | afio -ZG9 -o /dev/sda
                                                                    ~~~~~~
I did a first backup and everything seemed fine.....
After a restart the partition table of the zip drive was unreadable and the
drive would not install on /dev/sda but on /dev/sdg (?)
Does anybody know why it reacts this way? I thought i couldn't do much harm
by directly writing to the device or am i?
I use a parallel port drive, maybe his is the only one with this problem

any help wil be useful
thanks in advance,

Axel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: HELP afio<->iomega zip problems?
Date: 24 Aug 2000 18:00:52 GMT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:39:45 +0200, Axel Scheepers wrote:
>I use the iomega zip drive as a backup medium for my home partition on my
>linux server. For compression reasons i use the afio program in the
>following way:
>find ${DIR_TO_BACKUP} | afio -ZG9 -o /dev/sda
>I did a first backup and everything seemed fine.....
>After a restart the partition table of the zip drive was unreadable and the
>drive would not install on /dev/sda but on /dev/sdg (?)
>Does anybody know why it reacts this way? I thought i couldn't do much harm
>by directly writing to the device or am i?
>I use a parallel port drive, maybe his is the only one with this problem

ZIP disks are partitioned, so tarring directly to /dev/sdX will utterly
mangle the partition table.  This is not usually a good idea, the
space you gain is very minimal, and attempting to mount a ZIP with a
farked partition table can occasionally hang the entire VFS.  I know
you're not mounting these disks, but accidents happen.  Play it
safe--partition your ZIP and tar directly to /dev/sda1 instead of
/dev/sda.

Don't know why the parport ZIP decided to show up on /dev/sdg instead of
/dev/sda unless you have 6 other SCSI disks in the system, but mangling
the partition table may have confused the drive itself.  I couldn't
reproduce the problem on my ATAPI ZIP under IDE-SCSI emulation, so... ?
I haven't had any problems like that with parallel port ZIPs.  Anyone
else?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.