  Re: Netscape reading time wrong ("Clarence B. Johnson, Jr.")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Installing Mandrake on top of Caldera ?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:18:49 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Martin Racette would
say:
>I would like to know if it is possible to install Mandrake 7.1 without
>erasing Caldera, I mean replacing the OS but not losing all the
>information was already written to disk
>
>I don't have any possiblity to move my /home directory to any other
>part of the disk(s)

Your only realistic possibility is to move /home data somewhere else.

This is the reason why you should _always_ have /home as a separate
partition from "/" (root).

Alternatively, I'd think the obvious alternative to be to copy /home
off to your backup medium.

You _do_ take backups, don't you?  Linux may eliminate most of those
annoying "blue screens of death," but has no way of resolving the "Oops,
the disk drive went bad" problem.  The only resolution to _that_ is to
have some sort of backup regimen...
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@" "freenet.carleton.ca")
<http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: opengl on sgi linux machines?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:19:05 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Dave Olson would say:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>| In comp.sys.sgi.admin Dan Stromberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>| > Does SGI sell OpenGL on their linux servers?
>|
>| > I'm noticing that even tho intel/amd smokes mips in pure cpu
>| > performance, opengl smokes mesa even if opengl is on a much slower
>| > processor.
>|
>| If CISC processors are so much better than RISC, why do I see all these
>| non-x86 machines from video games to desktop machines, to
>| refrigerator-sized behemoths using RISC processors?  With the really heavy
>
>This is probably doubly off-topic by now, but...
>
>There are at least two big reasons (for x86, which isn't all CISC, by
>any means, of course).
>
>A) x86 processors, even the older ones, aren't all that cheap, whereas
>   many of the RISC processors have variants that are  quite cheap, even
>   in relatively small volumes.
>
>B) x86 chipsets aren't cheap, and aren't terribly flexible.
>
>RISC vs CISC is a sort of silly distinction, as has been discussed
>ad infinitum in various groups.  Target markets, and supporting chipsets
>and tools (and power consumption) all play into the decisions more than
>the marketing distinction.

Consider...

c) "Modern" x86 processors aren't as readily distinguished from RISC
processors as used to be the case.

d) "Pure" RISC systems were only popular in academia, and that only
for a fairly short period of time.

The _real_ point to the RISC/CISC division was more to step back
rethink the issue of how to optimize CPU behaviour than it was to
create the One True Architecture; since the early days, "CISCy"
processors have taken design principles from the learning from RISC,
and vice-versa.

e) x86 chipsets aren't terribly flexible, and suck _reasonably_
badly.

But the chipsets for RISC processors tend to be _lots_ more expensive
for anything involving small production runs because there are just
_SO MANY IA-32 motherboards_ out there.

As for cost, a StrongARM CPU may cost $25, but I defy you to try to
find a motherboard priced less than $500.  Ditto for MIPS and PPC.

f) A lot of the benefit of RISC supposedly comes from having
simple-but-fast instructions.  Unfortunately, this means you're stuck
with consuming more memory to store more verbose programs.  And thus
consume more memory bandwidth.

It may still be a win to "do RISC," but the memory bandwidth issue
_does_ throw away some of the cycles that got saved.

g) And note the .signature; Intel may not be able to make a
"racehorse" out of the 8008.  It's still a "pig."  But given billions
to spend on fabrication plants and design engineers, they can make an
_awfully_ fast pig out of it.
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@" "freenet.carleton.ca")
<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Multi-session CD's without -eject (cdrecord)
Date: 31 Aug 2000 00:22:16 GMT

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:04:42 GMT, Craig Setera wrote:
>I'm interested in using multi-session CD's for doing backups.  It
>appears from the examples that multi-session uses the -eject option to
>cause the CD to be ejected along the way.  I'm assuming that this is so
>that the OS re-reads the table of contents on the disc.
>
>I'd really like to do this in some way that does not require the disc to
>be ejected and reloaded.  Can multi-session be achieved without the CD
>eject in any way?

Depends on the particular CD-R(W) in question.  Some can manage this,
some can't.  Anyway, it seems as though most CD-R(W)s can retract the
tray automatically when the drive is accessed.  Try ejecting the tray,
then issuing a "mount" command--for most drives, the tray will slide in.
If you do end up having to eject, a simple mount/umount will slide the
tray back in.  It's really easy to script, and would take about 10
seconds....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Those who do not understand Unix are
http://www.brainbench.com     /   condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
=============================/           ==Henry Spencer

------------------------------

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape Sucks, I need another option.
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:38:30 -0500

"Rinaldi J. Montessi" wrote:

> Gabe wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm a new Linux user. The best thing about Windows is Internet Explorer,
> > because frankly, Netscape sucks. It's slow, buggy, and doesn't display pages
> > correctly.
> >
> > I need another option besides Lynx. Is there another browser I can use in X
> > that comes highly recommended?
> >
> > Gabe
>
> Maybe linux isn't for you?

Not a really brilliant nor helpful comment, Rinaldi.
I happen to agree with Gabe. Netscape does 'suck'.  The most stable
version I've
found is 4.73, and it hangs on java scripts that display  certain
graphic images,
like the radar images at weatherchannel.com.  And, it will simply go
away at times,
without warning, if it doesn't just lock up.

What to replace it with?  Well, since I use KDE, I found that kfm works
nicely on
most sites that don't fire java applets to do the major work of the
site.  It is
very fast, too!  I tried M17 and AOL Netscape 6.0 but they are bloated
pigs that
crash too often and aren't finish yet, after oooo so loooong.

So, I use NS 4.73 to visit news sites where I want to see videos, or to
visit sites that have important java apps displaying the good stuff, but
kfm for
just browsing and reading and responding at, for example, LinuxToday or
Slashdot.
When KDE 2.0 comes out it will include Konquorer and I will switch to
that.

Work on your bedside manner, Rinaldi.  Arrogance makes a poor
instructor.  Do you
remember when you first started out?  What did you think of all those
air heads
who sent your 'rtfm' responses to your questions?  Or responses like
yours.

------------------------------

From: David Schreiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux, XML, and assalting Windows
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:31:13 GMT

In article <8o7p03$1mr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let's reexamine the long suffering example again.  You are using an
office
> productivity application.  You are working on a document that
consumes 5 Meg
> stored in a non-XML file.  You are given the option of saving it in
either
> XML or the program's native format.  You choose the XML file format.
When
> you examine the file you have just saved you find the XML the
following XML
> "tokens" the the start of the file.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
> <!DOCTYPE RST "http://localhost/fubar.dtd>
> <RST>
>     <R ID="0" >
>     <F0>
>
> Followed by 6.5Meg of data of the follow kind
>
> alahasdfnaxvc9qweafva8712345lkf0asdf
>
> Followed by the closing tags:
>
>    </F0>
>    </R>
> </RST>
>
> What have you gained?

I'd say you haven't gained anything.  In fact I wouldn't even call that
marked-up, since all you have done is wrap a couple of meaningless tags
around it.  Possibly if the ID attribute means something you have
gained the ability to parse the ID tag using a standard XML parser,
which isn't much.

XML is no use to anyone if it isn't actually used for markup.  There
isn't much point having a document consisting of one element and a
CDATA section.

--
http://www.caverock.net.nz/~davids
Welcome to nowhere fast. Nothing here ever lasts.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Riggs)
Subject: Re: VCD ?
Date: 31 Aug 2000 00:40:05 GMT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:25:03 +0200, NDQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a CD containing some file *.dat (data for video+audio IMHO).
>Under Windows 95 I use XingMPEG for playing this file (video+audio). But
>I don't know which software can play it.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>--
>NGUYEN-DAI Quy

check out Xtheater.  http://Xtheater.sourceforge.net

I use it to play VCD files under linux.

--
----
James E. Riggs

------------------------------

From: muzh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No kppp in Mandrake7.1??
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:45:05 +1200

Andrew Purugganan wrote:

> I selected 'server' when installing Mandrake 7.1, and I wind up with a
> stripped down version of the KDE desktop (Lord knows what else), and I
> can't find kppp. What's worse, I can't find kppp's rpm in ANY of the CDs!
> Can anybody help me out, did I miss something?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that XWindows should not be
installed on a "server" as it would pose a security risk.
Perhaps you should choose another installation option.

--
Never trust a man in a suit --

cll

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Set permissions to directory?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:47:12 -0700

Is there a way to have the permissions to any file created in a given
directory adopt the group permissions assigned to the directory itself
rather than the primary group of the individual creating the file (when
individuals belong to multiple groups)?

Sometimes, group permissions are assigned on the basis of an
individual's primary group, rather than the group specifically
associated with the directory.

I'm running RH 6.0

--
Don't waste your vote.  Vote Green or don't vote at all.

------------------------------

From: David Schreiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.text.xml,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:39:21 GMT

In article <8oc1of$v4d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> XML is something "new"; but, it is just a new implementation of the
same old
> idea.  Take an old idea reimplement it, give it a new name, throw in
a few
> new term and a lot of hype.  That is all XML really is

I disagree.  XML might be an new form of an old idea, but it's been
done well and this time it has a lot of support.  There are XML tools
out there - a lot of them - available on a lot of platforms and in a
lot of languages.

SGML might well do the same job - but is there a standard API for
parsing SGML that has the support of major software companies?  Is it
available as an OLE object a Java implementation, and C++ library?

From: "Clarence B. Johnson, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape reading time wrong
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:54:20 GMT

Just upgraded to netscape 4.75 and this version ignores timezones.

unix date shows correctly

[boyd@CJ23509-A /etc]$ date
Wed Aug 30 21:14:46 EDT 2000   < -- this is the current local time, see what time this
post shows.

but when a mail is received of generated by netscape 4.75 mail client it only shows GMT

email generated or received by elm or by netscape from a pop client shows time
correctly.

Any ideas out there?

Please reply to newsgroup and by email

Thanks

Clarence Johnson

--
http://24.13.240.175

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Headless X86 Linux system
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:57:51 GMT

William Alexander Segraves wrote:

> Thanks, Cokey.
>
> "su" IS how I make myself root if I'm already logged in as another userid.
>
> The problem I encountered, with one machine, was that, once having made
> myself root, I was still in the current directory of userid, and had to
> change to /sbin to execute shutdown. I would have been surprised indeed if
> userid had root privileges.
>
> Bill Segraves
> Auburn, AL
> "Cokey de Percin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > William Alexander Segraves wrote:
> > >
> > > "Peter Mitchell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
> > > in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > ***snipped***>
> > > >
> > > ***snipped***
> > >
> > > I thought I had the same problem. Found all I had to do was telenet to
> the
> > > machine, login with my userid, make myself root, cd to /sbin, and
> execute,
> > > e.g., shutdown -h now, in order to shut down the remote system.
> > >
> > > Bill Segraves
> > > Auburn, AL
> >
> > Try 'su  -' instead.  This will cause the login to pick up the root
> > environment and the pathing will be correct.

Maybe I don't understand, but just for the record, there is a difference
between 'su' and 'su -'.  The first will make you root, but will NOT
change your environment, which seems to be your problem.  The second forces
the root environment to be set; i.e. you will be put in the /root directory
and have all the root pathing set.  This works regardless of the telnet
product or OS being used to connect from.  I regularly telnet in from my
children's Windows machines to correct/modify things when they're having
problems.

As an aside to all this, my main box (at home) is video & keyboard less as
is my database box.  All control/functions/applications are run from them
through a third small box which runs three (3) instances of Xserver ( :0,:1,:2)
each displaying the kde desktop for a particular machine; i.e. :0 is local,
:1 is the main server and :2 is the database server.  Since the network is
a switched 100Mb (full duplex), latency seems to be almost nonexistant.  All
logging from the database server (and the videoless/keyboardless LRP router/
firewall) are logged to the main server which displays the important log info.
on the VT550 serial terminal on ttyS1.  Note also that when the mainserver
boots (rarely necessary), I do not get the bios messages but do get everything
starting with the lilo prompt.

Also, if you need to see the bios messages for a headless machine (say in a
server farm) there is a PCI card that will put them to a serial terminal and
allow console like control.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:
Policy Management Systems Corp.  Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Faustus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Port forwarding on RedHat 6.2 ?????
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:57:21 GMT

Hi there:

I am having a little problem with my port forwarding and I was wondering
if somebody has a solution.

I am running RedHat 6.2 (with kernal 2.2.14-5.0 ) on an Intel box as a
firewall. The box has two Ethernet cards and is connect trough PPPoE on
an ADSL line. Everything is working fine, my internal network can access
the outside ......... however, I am not able to forward ports to my
server on the internal private LAN.
Here the setup:

- Internal HTTP server 10.0.0.10
- Ethnernet card to the internal LAN 10.0.0.20
- Ethernet card to the internet --> PPPoE on ADSL line

Has anybody a concrete suggestion on how to forward port 80 to my
internal server 10.0.0.10 ????????????

Here more info (sorry for spamming you with al this):

Here the rc.firewall script that I am using:

#!/bin/sh
# File: /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

#
#
/sbin/depmod -a
#
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
#
#
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag
#

/sbin/ipchains -F input
/sbin/ipchains -F output
/sbin/ipchains -F forward

#
/sbin/ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT -i eth0 -s 0/0 67 -d 0/0 68 -p udp
#
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
#
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ

/sbin/ipchains -I forward -p tcp -s 10.0.0.10 80 -j MASQ

# grab current IP
 CurrentIP=`/sbin/ifconfig ppp0|grep addr:|tr -s " "|tr -d " inet
addr:"|cut -f1 -d "P"`

/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -f

/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L $CurrentIP 80 -R 10.0.0.10 80

# END

Here the modules:

[faust@guardian faust]$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ip_masq_portfw          2596   1 (autoclean)
ip_masq_ftp             4280   0 (unused)
ppp                    20268   2 (autoclean)
slhc                    4568   0 (autoclean) [ppp]
parport_probe           3272   0 (autoclean)
parport_pc              7464   1 (autoclean)
lp                      5448   1 (autoclean)
parport                 7580   1 (autoclean) [parport_probe parport_pc
lp]
lockd                  31592   1 (autoclean)
sunrpc                 53540   1 (autoclean) [lockd]
3c509                   6064   2 (autoclean)

[faust@guardian faust$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:4B:26:F7:E6
          inet addr:10.0.0.20  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x210

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:AF:DA:8B:7F
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:66.229.176.157  P-t-P:64.229.175.1
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

[faust@guardian faust]$

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

faustus

------------------------------

From: "Clarence B. Johnson, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape reading time wrong
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:58:25 GMT

Forgot to mention,
 I'm running RedHat 5.2 and sendmail, nothing fancy, just standard stuff. I'm also
using
fetchmail to pop mail to my localhost and netscape is pop'ing mail from the local
machine.

Thanks
CJ

--