From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: locate - permission denied
Date: 2 Sep 2000 19:57:00 GMT

gnologic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: It would have been easy to recommend a HowTo or even easier to skip the
: post completely. Nope, your ego wouldn't let that happen. You were forced
: into proving your superior intelligence by not even having the ability to
: stoop all the way down to HIS LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE..

Experience (or lack of it) is not required and not assumed!  It's
reasoning that's apparantly lacking here.  The message tells him what is
wrong.  His next question should be directed at the interpretation of
that message and the production of an hypothesis that explains it,
followed by the design of an experient to confirm or deny it.

If the message is unclear to him, he should ask about it. To me it says
exactly what it says: cannot open database; permission denied. That's
normal english, isn't it?

No experience (or knowledge) is required - in producing an intelligent
question. If you were to complain about my assuming some particular
knowledge or background, I'd understand. Instead you seem to be
moaning that I assume the poster is mentally competent.

: But then again, newbies should just go back to Windows were they belong,
: right? Linux is for "real" men with "real" programming skills.

What is your particular objection to the logic below? Are you just
spouting? Do you object to people being led to think for themselves?
Would you prefer that they remained unaware of their own ability?
If your car beeps at you and says "I have no oil: reserve empty",
are you going to send out an SOS to the world at large, saying "any
help appreciated"? Or are you going to act like an intelligent human
being, and ask where to refill the oil reserve?

:> Why would you need help? It says it can't open its database and gives
:> you the reason. Surely the next question should be
:> "where is the database" or "how do I find out", not "any help
:> appreciated ..."?

From: "Steven L. Dahlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: dialup and a proxy server
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 14:17:58 -0700

Can anyone tell me if there is a product or a way to setup a proxy server
with dial up capabilities, i.e., allowing anyone on my network to make a
request and, if there is no current connection to the ISP, disl up and
establish the connection.  Earlier I tried diald but despite a lot of input
from several and a lot of elbow grease I was unable to make it work.
Currently I am using a product call WinProxy on an NT workstation that works
like a charm.  It was easy to setup and configure and has been easy to
maintain.  But I would certainly prefer to have a linux server in that role,
but the pain and trouble of diald was too much.

Thanks,
Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VIA Integrated Sound Blaster Pro Woes
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:22:15 GMT

I have the same problem with the ABIT VH6, which uses the same codec.

>From what I've been reading, the latest ALSA library supports the VIA
sound chipset.  Check them out at http://alsa-project.org.  You first
have to remove any modules that are loading now, as this replaces OSS.

Good luck,

John

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Updated version of hinv perl script
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 16:43:09 -0500

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Robert L. Klungle quoth:

~~ Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 19:44:57 GMT
~~ From: Robert L. Klungle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: Updated version of hinv perl script
~~
~~ I acquired a copy of the hinv script on the net (don't remember where)
~~ several years ago. Haven't seen any updates since. A couple of days ago
~~ I noticed that some of the elements were no longer there or were wrong
~~ (apparently Linux has changed). So modified and added to get to 2.1.13.
~~ Quick hack so not the best.
~~ If anyone knows of anyother updates, wouild like to see/have them.
~~ Here is my current one.

Well for one, the script you posted does not compile!

[anm@hawk ~] ./hinv.pl                                                  [pts/1]
Unmatched right curly bracket at ./hinv.pl line 163, at end of line
syntax error at ./hinv.pl line 163, near "}"
Execution of ./hinv.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

I don't know whether this was a cut + paste error, or not.
I would also consider making it run under the strict pragma!

anm
--
Andrew N. McGuire
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: associations
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:35:38 GMT

Go into the Gnome Control Panel and go to Edit MIME Types.
David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.dial-up,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: dialup and a proxy server
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:19:12 +0200

I totally agree about your diald findings. It took may 2 days before I got it
to work (and I still hate it and I never wish to use it again!)
I suggest that you might use FreeBSD it has a great and easy natd that dials
like a charme and is so easy to setup it took my less then 15 minutes. It is
also more robust than diald.

Other than that you have the same advantages as Linux with FreeBSD it is almost
simular when you look at software availability. To get in to it is also pretty
easy once you hav emastered another Unix variant.

Raymond

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mount Solaris from Linux
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:21:58 +0200

It is probably exported as /export/home and not /export/home/jlu Linux does'nt
mount subditr entries
Solaris does (nice feature but still don't know why).

Raymond

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.serial
Subject: Re: Terminal Emulation
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:24:55 +0200

Minicom provides a pretty good serial terminal emulator it does the most
famous protocolls. It is also a nice ascii based applictions. I don't know
if you remember Telix on DOS (back in the old days :) )  it is a nearly
exact clone of this application.

Raymond

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: remote kernel upgrade
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:27:27 +0200

Write a plan with all the steps of the upgarde.
Try it on a local machine from a telnet session or ssh session (to simulate
a server somewhere else).
See when you get stuck and solve any of these problems. It is possible to
do all this remote but you have to be carefull though!

It is only a matter of trying and finding it out yourself.

Raymond

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Copying a program from one computer to another
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:30:23 +0200

It depends wheter mod_ssl i statically linked or dynamically. If it is the
latter you will get a message that it can't find a certain lib nd then you ftp
that over also.

Just make a copy of the org httpd and ftp th enew one and test when it does'nt
have certain files just copy them also and you will get it running pretty fast.

Raymond

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ncurses, /usr/share/terminfo v /usr/lib/terminfo
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:34:11 +0200

Well what you are requesting is a patch for the problem.
All those freaking Linux distribution builders should decide were to put these
files they all should put those files there. Also checking where the Unixes have
stored them so that we get a Unix wide standard. I personally link every missing
path right away. Nowadys I can compile everything without any problems. (But I
did have many compiling nightmares before).

Raymond

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sony Linux vs Microsoft XBox
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 22:27:45 GMT

As we all know.  One of the major wars in coming in the video
gaming industry.  Microsoft Versus Sony.
Specifically, XBox vs Playstation2.

Both are revered competitors in their own right.

Microsoft basically wiped out all the competitors.  They have
a basic strong strategy of defend and expand.  Take what you have,
expand it into other markets.  Tie those other markets into your main
product line (a monopoly others don't have and can't create).
Like Windows.  People need a place to run external applications.
Make other products fail on your platform each time you release
a new product.  (other products need a place to live right?  No
place to live, the product dies).  This happened to AOL on Win2K.
Microsoft basically uses a 7 step process to eliminate a competitor.

1) Emulate all the features in the next competing product release and
   add more.
2) Incorporate it free into next windows release.
3) Cripple competitor's software (make certain changes to the next
   release of windows so competitor's product can't run without patches)
4) Force partners to not sell or support competitor' product
5) Force competitor's product's partners to drop them and go with
   Microsoft (either through money or other incentives)
6) Hire away all their top people.
7) Buy them up.

How does a company survive this type of onslaught?  We know for sure
that 1) 2) 3) are very important things to worry about.  The rest
can be solved through the government (wich Sun, Netscape, and others
tried).  In order for compensate for 1), a company must have bright
engineers, and keep them!  They must be given free reign to think up
new features (evolve the platform) in internet time, rather than wait
for go ahead from others.  If new features are not incorporated into
the product, Microsoft will basically use their bigger resource of
engineers to emulate every single feature.  For 2) there is nothing
you can basically do because once it is free your product is not needed
anymore.  That is why 1) is important.  There must be something in
your product that prevents an exact emulation by Microsoft.  (is it
patented?  Like RSA encryption.  Does it require technology that you
can only license?)  If these are not available, then you basically
have to evolve the product in internet time...  meaning it had better
have more releases than the average person can keep up.  With each
release demoing more features.  If this is sustained at a rate of
every month, this becomes a viable force in itself so that it is a
self-sustaining marketing movement, which will drown competing
product's marketing strategies.  For 3) this is a difficult one
to decide.  If the new operating system is going to be massively
used by the people, then you are in trouble.  Your product needs
a place to live in.  If you can't have a place to live, you die!
There is a movement for linux apple and other operating systems,
and if your product has enough demand then people will buy your product
along with the operating system.  Otherwise, the product must use
standard API's in the windows operating system (basic plumbing that
microsoft will not and cannot change with each windows release).
During this marketing war, your product must find stable footing
across differing territories.  Find a way to incorporate a whole
Operating System into the product so that windows is not needed.
Once the product has enough demand, windows is not needed, and people
will buy the product for its worth.

Sony we all know is also a big competitor.  Every market that Sony
entered, they dominated.  They have only lost once (on the Betamax),
but other than that their record is clean.  They came into the
video market scene with sega and nintendo holding virtually 90+
percent of the market.  Now Sony is #1.  Takes a lot of good
marketing skills to achieve that.  Sony seems to be extremely
good with marketing to the consumers and getting deals with retailers.
Have you ever been to an electronics store with no section dedicated
to Sony?  They usually are the biggest.  They usually have the
latest technical gadgets.  When Sony entered the notebook pc market,
they were nowhere with Toshiba out in front.  Now Sony's are in
every computer store, and selling more than other notebooks.  Sony
seems to understand the consumer more than any other company.  They
invent the standards and force others out of the market through their
sheer marketing skills and their connections with dealers.

So what will happen when Microsoft and Sony collide?  They each are
in a territory where each has a weakness...

Microsoft is new to the video game market, with its proprietory
hardware.

Sony is usually good with hardware, and software is something it is
just getting used to with the Playstation and PS2.

But both have endless resources to tap to fight in this market.

Microsoft will try to use it's leverage of the current gaming
industry on windows and move them to the XBox (they all currently
run on top of windows anyways, so having faster hardware only makes
them better).  This is a very strong leverage.

Sony will simply try to outmaneuver people making XBox's in the
dealer's shelves.  They have other electronics in there to provide
them with this leverage.  If people only see Playstation 2 (or 3),
they will not buy XBox.  Sony is after the consumers, so you will
see them in every store imaginable, while Microsoft is usually
more familiar with computer stores.

Technology wise, it looks like Sony and Microsoft are unmatched.
Sony can invent and copy and reengineer to make cheap.  For them
to take on sega and nintendo and still win, you have to realize
their extremely strong marketing base and technological merits.
Microsoft we all know is a good competitor in its own right.  But
right now it is dependent on others to make the box.  Sony may
be able to take advantage of this but it may also make them weak
because the PC compatible market basically drove out all the other
PC's except Apple (which almost died as well).

My bet on who is going to win?  Hard to say.  I would say initially
two markets will be created.  Sony will get the consumer market,
while the XBox becomes more the PC compatible gaming market.  But
later, as the XBox becomes cheaper and cheaper (as compatible
PC's are getting cheaper and cheaper these days) it will attract
the consumer market Sony has.  The major base of software makers
will take advantage of this market and make more and more games.
By this time Sony, with its reach in almost every dealer's shelves
will have penetrated a majority of the gaming market and moving their
territory into the PC market with their notebooks and pc's.  They
may end up making an XBox type machine and drive all other hardware
competitors away (like the deal with WebTv consoles).  More likely
they will create a PS3 or PS4 that more and more resembles a PC,
and make an API layer easier for the software developers to write
games for that machine.  Remember competing with Sony on consumers
end is almost suicidal.  The PS2 is not going away.  They make the
best CD players, Walkmans, stereo equiptment, TV's, etc etc.  Each
market they enter they basically drown out other hardware manufaturers.
PC manufacturers making XBox's for the consumers will basically be
wiped out in the dealer's shelves if competing one-on-one with sony.
It is their hope that the windows market will be a big enough market
to shift the focus of the consumers at large to go with a different
platform (the PC platform).  In the long run its a marketing war
between run-of-the-mill consumers and computer video market.
(that is the current market anyways, with playstation and PC games
each having a big market in its own).  As microsoft moves into
Sony's territory, we'll see how Sony responds on its PC initiatives.
Remember Sony has licenses for Palm Os, is doing a Linux PC, has
its own operating system, has its own PC software suite (Smart Write,
Smart this, Smart that. etc etc), has the top selling notebooks,
and its large base of technology (memory stick, jog dial, iLink).

This is going to be something to watch.  What Sony CAN do, and they
CAN (believe me they can), they can market a user-friendly consumer
PC running their own operating system (or linux).  Include in it their
own software applications (like Microsoft has), and basically
create a whole new market.  Remember they did that with the CD player,
the walkman, the Video camera market, the digital camera market,
etc etc.  Their reach into the consumer market is extremely strong.
Like Microsoft has a very strong reach into the computer market.

Sony is also getting into the soft market.  They have columbia
pictures and tristar, and is making their own movies.  They
have moved into the PC territory and is making a strong lead in
the Notebook market, and if that succeeds as it has, they will
miniaturize it to the point where you have a walkPC (instead of a
walkman).  And competing with Sony on miniturization is suicidal.

So the XBox and Playstation2 (3?) is something that is going to
change the marketplace in the very near future.  If Sony
decides to put an operating system on top of the PlayStation2,
and attach a keyboard and PC monitor input, that would literally
overnight create a new computer market, and overtake Apple.
They are different from Commodore Amiga, Atari, and Tandy.  They
have the money, the market penetration, and technology, and
the connections.  Sony creates markets.  Microsoft extends its
markets into areas others have started.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: mkisofs: cannot fwrite 2048*1?
Date: 2 Sep 2000 22:45:56 GMT

I'm trying to use mkisofs to backup some directories:

        mkisofs -r -o directory.iso DIRECTRY

and keep getting errors like:

        cannot fwrite 2048*1

Also, the -l flag is supposed to allow for long names, but I'm
still getting messages like:

        Using FILENAME:001 for ......

Any ideas?

Thanks!