Linux-Misc Digest #681, Volume #25                Wed, 6 Sep 00 13:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  moving /usr/share ??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  digital filtering c code ("Gerald Pollack")
  Re: ~user  www directories needed (LFessen106)
  Re: rpm disaster ("Chris Ripp")
  Re: Proper use of .plan file? ("Chris Ripp")
  Re: digital filtering c code ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: moving /usr/share ??? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Accessing an Oracle-Database from Linux (Michael)
  Re: rpm disaster (Robert Lynch)
  Scanner (Martin Racette)
  Re: AOL client for linux (Brian Moore)
  Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!! (Carlos Benjamin)
  Re: AOL client for linux (Hal Burgiss)
  Re: Dreamweaver port for Linux? (Maurizio Ferrari)
  How to set the disk quota? ("Wen-Tzong Lee")
  Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!! ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: SMP Performance? (John Hasler)
  Re: rpm disaster ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Syslog problem ("Sylvain")
  Re: How to set the disk quota? ("Peter T. Breuer")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: moving /usr/share ???
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 15:15:38 GMT

I have two linux part.

/dev/hda5 that mounts /usr
and
/dev/hda6 that mounts /

/dev/hda5 is about 90% full and I would like to know if I can move some
dirs from /usr to the /dev/hda6

??

From: "Gerald Pollack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: digital filtering c code
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 15:39:06 GMT

Can someone point me to a source for free c code that implements digital
filters?

G. Pollack Dept. of Biology, McGill Univ.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (LFessen106)
Subject: Re: ~user  www directories needed
Date: 06 Sep 2000 15:46:52 GMT

>I am using apache as my web server and i have received requests from users
>for
>their own /home/httpd/html/~username directories. How is this achieved
>whilst giving them cgi-perl, servlets access too.
>Thanks.
>K.

Create a subdirectory for them in the default apache directory system, and then
make a symbolic link between one in their home directory to the one you made
for them under apache's directory...

For instance, if your apache directory is /home/httpd  you'd create a directory
for charlie as /home/httpd/charlie, and then go to charlie's home directory
(/home/charlie) and make a symbolic link directory for him to put his html
files in by doing a 'ln -s /home/httpd/charlie html', which would create a
directory under his home directory called html - (html would really be a link
to the /home/httpd/charlie directory but charlie wouldn't know it).  He can
then put his web stuff in his html directory and then view them by going to
'http://your_server_name_here.whatever/charlie'.

Hope that makes sence :-)
-Linc.

------------------------------

From: "Chris Ripp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rpm disaster
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:15:19 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I am using a red hat 6.2 system and was having problems with rpm
> trying to install a particular package, the solution to which seemed
> to be to upgrade rpm itself. I downloaded the rpm version 4.0 rpm and
> used rpm -U to upgrade which seemed to go fine. The problems that
> I now have is that rpm seems to have lost track of ALL the currently
> installed rpms so I am now unable to cleanly upgrade any package
> because all the dependency checks fail. The /var/lib/rpm directory
> still seems to contain the appropriate files, its as tho' rpm is
> ignoring them or is unable to read them.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for getting it back to some sensible
> state ? I notice their is an rpm --initdb command but I haven't tried
> it yet incase it wipes out what is allready there.

Jason, I had the same trouble upgrading rpm...
go into /var/lib/rpm as root, and move the 'Packages' file to something else
(I used 'Packs', doesn't really matter.)  Then do a rpm --initdb.  For some
reason --initdb wouldn't work with the mangled version it left me.  It will
rebuild the Packages file properly and you'll have your rpm db back!

> --
> jason
> --
>     |\/\/\/\/\/|
>     | ___  ___ |         "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it,
>     |/   \/   \|             you can't prove anything."

_nnn_n_#_|__#_n_nnn_________________________________________________________
__

------------------------------

From: "Chris Ripp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Proper use of .plan file?
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:12:45 -0500

"Dave Skolnick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have seen references to .plan files. Is this a convention for keeping
> notes & to-do lists or is there an application that manages a reminder
> list?

Dave, the .plan file is mostly a holdover from the old days when you could
use 'finger user@host' to see if somebody was logged in and/or what they
were up to.  Your .plan file shows up when somebody 'fingers' your acct.
It's just a text file you can put whatever you like into it.

Unless you've got your machine set up to where people can actually 'finger'
your account I wouldn't bother with it, as nobody will see it anyway.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: digital filtering c code
Date: 6 Sep 2000 15:52:03 GMT

Gerald Pollack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Can someone point me to a source for free c code that implements digital
: filters?

Digital filters, by definition, are simple numerical algorithms. Copy
the add multiply shift thing out of your text book.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: moving /usr/share ???
Date: 6 Sep 2000 15:51:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I have two linux part.

: /dev/hda5 that mounts /usr
: and
: /dev/hda6 that mounts /

: /dev/hda5 is about 90% full and I would like to know if I can move some
: dirs from /usr to the /dev/hda6

No. It's a bad plan. / should be about 64MB. BTW, 90% full is nothing.
There's plenty of space.  There's still 20% of the disk left (yes, you
can shrink the reserve for root down to nothing ... it's a readonly
filesystem, right, and therefore can't "fragment" any more!).

If you want to, create /usr/share as a new partition. That should take
a lot of the strain off. And /usr/X11R6 is also
traditionally a different partition, saving you 654-128MB. It is
important that /var and /home (and /opt) be separate too, but that
doesn't affect you. The only other thing you can do is be sure that
/usr/local is separate.

From: Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Accessing an Oracle-Database from Linux
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:21:07 +0200

Davide Bianchi schrieb:

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 14:52:02 +0200, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I want to access an Oracle-database from my linux-workstation with
> >suse-linux 6.4. Can anybody tell me, which additional software I need
> >and where I get this software? I already looked at www.suse.de but I
> >couldn't find an oracle-cleint there.
>
> You can download the Oracle software directly from Oracle, you need
> to install only the client of course.
> Davide

I already searched the client on the oracle hompage, but the only thing I
find is the complete database (250MB) which is very difficult to install.
Do you have a link, where I can find it?

Thanks,

Michael

------------------------------

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 09:16:10 -0700

> I am using a red hat 6.2 system and was having problems with rpm
> trying to install a particular package, the solution to which seemed
> to be to upgrade rpm itself. I downloaded the rpm version 4.0 rpm and
> used rpm -U to upgrade which seemed to go fine. The problems that
> I now have is that rpm seems to have lost track of ALL the currently
> installed rpms so I am now unable to cleanly upgrade any package
> because all the dependency checks fail. The /var/lib/rpm directory
> still seems to contain the appropriate files, its as tho' rpm is
> ignoring them or is unable to read them.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for getting it back to some sensible
> state ? I notice their is an rpm --initdb command but I haven't tried
> it yet incase it wipes out what is allready there.
>
> --
> jason
> --
>     |\/\/\/\/\/|
>     | ___  ___ |         "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it,
>     |/   \/   \|             you can't prove anything."
> _nnn_n_#_|__#_n_nnn___________________________________________________________
>                         http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/jason/

I had this problem, and one way to solve it is to do a limited
install of rpm 3.x:

-backup /var/lib/rpm

-start with the binary rpm 3.x package, extract it in
/tmp/scratch with:

rpm2cpio rpm-3blah.rpm |cpio -idv

then go into /tmp/scratch/bin/rpm, execute ./rpm -Uvh
--oldpackage rpm-3blah.rpm to revert to rpm3 (I think you need to
make sure that the "new" /tmp/scratch/bin/rpm.shared is in your
path in this step.)

I later found that it seems that rpm4 needs the db3 packages,
this is why installing just it alone doesn't work (how come no
dependency failures?!).  One way to do it "right" is to download
the rpm4 src.rpm (big download!) and compile it on your own
system, then install the results.

This last may depend on the exact package, I have:

$ rpm -qv rpm
rpm-4.0-0.62

Hope this helps.  Hope this is correct, I am doing it all from
memory.

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Martin Racette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Scanner
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 16:16:32 GMT

Hi guys,

I know that SANE was installed when I did the installation of Mandrake=20
7.1 , since I selected everything that was available to install, but I=20
can't find out how to use it with my HP-5p, and I know for a fact that=20
this scanner is supported since its a SCSI, and is hook-up an dpowered=20
up

Thank you in advance

Merci a l'avance

Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Moore)
Subject: Re: AOL client for linux
Date: 6 Sep 2000 12:15:58 -0400

Johnny Hilla  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>America Online forced the website to remove it before legal actions were
>made. So the webmaster destroyed his copy.

I don't understand this.  Doesn't AOL basically give away their
software anyhow, and just charge for access?  Why would they want
to go out of their way to turn people away.

I'll agree, it might seem a little silly to want to get to AOL from
a Linux box, but if you want to chat with people who use only AOL
(and maybe are novice users) and you are using only Linux, I could
see where it might be useful.

--

Brian G. Moore, School of Science, Penn State Erie--The Behrend College
[EMAIL PROTECTED] , (814)-898-6334

------------------------------

From: Carlos Benjamin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.network,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Linux users please read !!IMPORTANT!!
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 16:15:33 GMT

  David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think a law should be passed making this sort of thing a crime.  A
> crime punishable by having the physical location and home phone number
> of the abuser published so that some wacko and take bloody
> retribution.  Better yet, if the spammer, like Sanford Wallace (sp?)
> is within driving distance of the Philadelphia area, he can be tossed
> into the Skuykill (can't be spelled right by anyone) river while live
> and tied to a chicken.

A chicken? Wouldn't it be much better to launch them into the water
wearing a suit made of live cats tied together?

> The South Street bridge would be an excellent
> launch point.  The Delaware river and the sewage treatment outlet pipe
> are down stream from that point.
>
> --
> David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
> NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hoplite&submit=
Look+it+up

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 16:37:17 GMT

On 6 Sep 2000 12:15:58 -0400, Brian Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I'll agree, it might seem a little silly to want to get to AOL from
>a Linux box, but if you want to chat with people who use only AOL
>(and maybe are novice users) and you are using only Linux, I could
>see where it might be useful.

GAIM.

--
Hal B

From: Maurizio Ferrari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dreamweaver port for Linux?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 13:31:18 +0200

Garry Knight wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, nospam@david-
> steuber.com says...
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Garry Knight) writes:
> >
> >' Applixware, StarOffice and WordPerfect all include the ability to design
> >' HTML pages in WYSIWYG mode.
> >
> >There's no such thing as WYSIWYG HTML.  And there is a lot more to
> >site design than writing a few documents.  Publishing large amounts of
> >interesting content goes far beyond mere HTML.
>
> I quite agree. Maybe I should have said "as near WYSIWYG as you're
> likely to get".
>
> --
> Garry Knight
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

How about IBM WebSphere?

Maurizio

------------------------------

From: "Wen-Tzong Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to set the disk quota?
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 00:49:17 +0800

I am looking for the documents about how to set the disk quota in a linux
box?  If anyone have the information, would you let me know how to get the
information.

winston lee
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.network,alt.linux
Date: 6 Sep 2000 16:33:51 GMT

: David Steuber wrote:
:> David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
:> NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.
:> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hoplite&submit=Look+it+up

aaaah. "hoplite" gives it away!

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP Performance?
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:23:52 GMT

Jean-David Beyer-valinux writes:
> I have a shell script run regularly by cron that starts SETI@home if it
> is not running (needed so that when I am away and a power failure
> occurs. My UPS does an orderly shutdown, then reboots the machine when
> the machine comes back up.  If I am out of town, setiathome restarts
> within 1 to 2 hours), and dials up my ISP, uploads the answers and
> downloads a new homework assignment, and disconnects from my ISP (so that
> it can keep running when I am asleep or out of town). I have not wished
> to trouble myself to see how to make it do this for two different
> directories,....

Just create two directories containing all the seti files, start seti in
one, cd to the other, and start another seti.

> Do you nice both yours to +19, or is one set to +18?

I don't nice them at all.  Setiathome nices itself.

> How to you handle unattended operation?

I run pppd with demand-dial and let the seti's phone home whenever they
want to.  I haven't gotten around to setting up scripts to restart the
seti's if they die as I am rarely away for long, but it would be trivial.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:30:22 +0100 (BST)

Masoud Pajoh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

:> Snip...
:>Anyone have any suggestions for getting it back to some sensible
:>state ? I notice their is an rpm --initdb command but I haven't tried
:>it yet incase it wipes out what is allready there.
:>
: I am new at this myself also, but I think there is also rpm --rebuildb.
: Have you tried that?

Yeah, I tried that and I get no error but I also get no packages . . .

--
jason

From: "Sylvain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Syslog problem
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 18:58:06 +0200

8p3d1j$ug1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

wrote:
> :> : Note : I boot the system with a read-only root fs and a ramdisk over
/var.
> :>
> :> A read only root fs is a neat trick. How do you make /dev/console
> :> writable?
> :>
> :> : Kernel is 2.2.16 patched with devfs. When rebooting with a read-write
root
> :> : fs, I have no problem at all !!
> :>
> :> Yeah, well, somehow I'm not entirely surprised.
> :>
> :> The few occasions I've tried to make / readonly, I've regretted it.
> :> Needs mods to mount and umount for one thing. It probably is feasible
> :> if you start off rw and ro and some later stage, after replacing
> :> /etc/mtab, /etc/motd, /etc/issue  and friends with symlinks to /var.
> :> The real stinker is /dev.
>
> : This is not really helpful ... Perhaps could give ideas as which files
or
> : services could be involved in this problem ??
>
> ls -lrt /etc | tail

The only files which are modified (in /etc) when booting with a "normal"
RedHat 6.2 station :

/etc/issue
/etc/issue.net
/etc/mtab
/etc/HOSTNAME
/etc/ioctl.save
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf

The first two are created/modified by rc.sysinit or rc.local (don't
remember) and easy to handle.
mtab has been handled with a symlink to /proc/mounts.
HOSTNAME : the easier !!
ioctl.save : This file is created by init (man 8 init) and could be deleted.
hwconf : hardware config updated by kudzu. Not important.

The files in /etc (and subdirs) which are modified when restarting the
syslog after boot : none.

> Somone already noted that using devfs allevaites most symptoms!

Details on the subject ?
/dev is writable (even with a ro root fs) and syslogd creates its socket
(/dev/log). System calls does not return any error !

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to set the disk quota?
Date: 6 Sep 2000 16:47:48 GMT

Wen-Tzong Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I am looking for the documents about how to set the disk quota in a linux
: box?  If anyone have the information, would you let me know how to get the
: information.

man quota (edquota, repquota, etc. etc.). As I recall, there is a
Quota mini-HOWTO too.