Linux-Misc Digest #713, Volume #25                Sat, 9 Sep 00 22:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: M$ Windows ME too slow like W2K? ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: StarOffice Setup for multiple users on one machine ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Re: how to logout from inside a script or app? (Jerry L Kreps)
  Re: buffer_dirty  -  what's the @#$%? ("Lurch")
  Re: So Complicated I Dont Even Know What To Catagorize It As (QNA)
  Re: Logged into KDE desktop as root (Jerry L Kreps)
  Re: strange error message after "make config" (Jerry L Kreps)
  Re: Gnome Xterm not reading .profile (Floyd Davidson)
  GNOME/Sawfish inconsistently locks up ("Ed")
  Re: Logged into KDE desktop as root (Jean-David Beyer-valinux)
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Glibc 2.1 Locale trouble (NF Stevens)
  Re: how to logout from inside a script or app? (Rod Haper)
  Re: Question: cron and tape backups (Robert Jones)
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows ("Ingemar Lundin")
  Re: XWindow -- RESET ???? (paul simdars)
  Re: Linux Performance w/ DSL??? ("D. Abuan")
  Re: Partition Cross-Over Project: Extended to Primary (QNA)
  Re: Gnome Xterm not reading .profile ("Andrew N. McGuire ")
  Locate inititlization does not complete (noyb)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.misc
From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M$ Windows ME too slow like W2K?
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:07:08 -0500

[ Follow-ups set ]
[ please set your word wrap to 72 chars ]

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Jonas Poyaoan quoth:

JP> My mom got me a eMachine etower|566i2 yesterday with M$ Windows Me from
JP> BestBuy.  It's running like W2K, very slow.  What if I'll have it returned
JP> and replace OS with Windows 98?

And this has to do what with Linux?

anm
--
BEGIN { $\ = $/; $$_ = $_ for qw~ just another perl hacker ~ }
my $J = sub { return \$just }; my $A = sub { return \$another };

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarOffice Setup for multiple users on one machine
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:12:31 -0500

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Rob quoth:

R> I have been trying to setup StarOffice 5.2 - Linux on  my Caldera 2.4
R> Open Desktop.  I see that they say in the Setup Guide on page  that
R> Linux users must mount your CD-ROM drive with the "Execute" rights to be
R> able to run the Setup Script from the CR.  What does this mean & how do
R> I do this.  I cannot find anything on this.

Hmm, I never did that, but my StarOffice installed just fine.
If 'Setup is indeed a shell script (I can't remember) then you
do not need execute permissions to run it, just read permissions.

    sh ./setup

R> It also says to run ./setup -net.  I cannot figure how to do this.
R> Nothing I try works.

You must be in the directory on the CD-ROM that contains the setup
script.

R> I am new to Linux, but not to computers.  I am getting frustrated & need
R> help.

HTH,

anm

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to logout from inside a script or app?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:16:16 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : I've tried the system() function and got nowhere.
> : I don't want to put my code at the bottom of ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc but .....
>
> What do you mean by "logout"? Don't you just mean "exit the login
> shell"

Exactly.  A user dials in (answered via mgetty) and is presented the
login screen. Standard stuff.  After logging in, by using their account
name and password, a console is presented.
I don't want them having access to the command line in a console.  So, I
am writing a little program that is going to be called on the last line
of ~/.bashrc (SuSE).  It will present a menu of options, one of which is
to 'Quit'.  When they select 'Quit' I want the session to close and the
login screen to return.  What I DON'T want to happen is them hanging up
but their shell staying open.

Am I clear now?

> (whichever that is - it'll probably be your process group session
> leader).  Is that what you want?  What is the effect you are trying to
> achieve?  Are you trying to launch a daemon?

What gave you the idea I was trying to lauch a daemon?

> Perhaps a book on unix programming would be helpful?

Would you recommend the one I have in front of me? - Beginning Linux
Programming -WROX, or perhaps the one next to it - "Linux Application
Development"? Or perhaps "Linux Programmer's Reference".  None of them
seem to say anything about this topic.

Thanks anyway.

------------------------------

From: "Lurch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: buffer_dirty  -  what's the @#$%?
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:27:02 +0200

Hello,

to make sure the umount is done after the copy, you can use the "&&" instead
of ";" (the second instruction won't start executing before the first one
has terminated successfully

i.e. mount /mnt/fd && cp /mnt/fd/* /prj && umount /mnt/fd

hope this helps...

news:8pa3fn$qjq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: QNA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So Complicated I Dont Even Know What To Catagorize It As
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 23:28:46 GMT

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> QNA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : i now have the options to run FLOPPY LINUX or WINDOWS. i would like to
run
> : windows but when i select it its says "windows loading", it says this
for
> : hours on end and windows never starts. here is what i think it may be.
>
> What is your problem?
>
> : have no space in my "Primary Partition", but all of my 6GB is in
> : my "Extended Partition" now my extended is divded half and half, one
for
> : Linux Mandrake 7.0 and one for Windows. The problem is windows loads
> : forever and i wanna know how to fix it? i can never run windows. I
have

> I don't think it's broke, but in any case, you really need to post in a
> windows newsgroup for windows related problems.
>
> : edited my /etc/lilo.conf file to have windows as an option but it wont
go
> : into it. i think the problem lies somewhere in my hard drive. what can
> : do?
>
> Possibly change your hard drive and see if the problem persists ;-).
> That ought to narrow it down. You could try reinstalling windows too!
> What happens if you start windows in recovery mode?
>
> : P.S. reply to this even if someone already has please, i need all the
help
> : possible.
>
> It's a pleasure.
>
> Peter

i have windows98 installed in an extended partition along with linux, how
do i run windows in recovery mode?

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Logged into KDE desktop as root
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:32:04 -0500

David Stone wrote:

> As root, when I follow the menu structure to an app, I expect it to launch,
> but it doesn't. As a regular user, I follow the same path to the same apps,
> and the app does launch.
>
> I'm trying to run particular apps as root because I know I will need to
> change the IP address of the computer's network card and enter the addresses
> of the DNS servers before the computer can see the Internet. I'm thinking
> these settings are configurable only when logged in as root.

In your $HOME dir follow the .kde subdir down to the applnk subdir and
then use KFM to check the properties of your various apps to see where
the 'Execute' tab contents point to.
file:/home/jerry/.kde/share/applnk/
If they seem to point to the same locations as the applnks in your home
dir then check your $HOME /.profile  and compare it to the
/root/.profile to see how the $PATH environment variables compare.  It
sounds like your KDE install in root doesn't have the path set right.

You can issue the 'env' command from an xterm.

The following should be set:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/kde/liby <-- or where ever yours is installed
KDEDIR=/opt/kde   <--- ditto
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt  <-- ditto
GNOMEDIR=/opt/gnome <-- ditto (possibly, if your KDE is running some
GNOME apps)
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:.:/opt/OrbFit2.0/bin:/opt/Office52/program

<-- notice the :/opt/kde/bin setting in my path statement.

WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde <-- if your KDE starts by using
'startx'

JLK

------------------------------

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: strange error message after "make config"
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:34:08 -0500

Ken Yasuda wrote:

> This will probably be a very simple question for all you die-hards
> out there.
>
> While trying to tweak the settings of my kernel, I tried to type
> make config         and
> make menuconfig     and
> make xconfig
> and always came up with the following error:
>
>         make: *** No rule to make target `xconfig'.  Stop.
>
>         What would this error suggest that I'm doing wrong, and what
> steps should I take to diagnose the symptom?
>
> (BTW, the "make" commands were entered from /usr/src/linux.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Did you install the source code for the kernel?

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome Xterm not reading .profile
Date: 09 Sep 2000 15:14:17 -0800

"Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Bit Twister quoth:
>
>BT> try putting the variables in  .bash_profile
>BT> logout/login  and see what you see.
>
>[ snip upside-down quoted text ]
>
>Wrong.  .bash_profile is the first file bash looks to execute
>for a ~login shell~.  If you had said .bashrc your answer would
>have been correct.  The other solution is to invoke xterm with the
>'-ls' option to make it a login shell.  As an alternative, he
>could also export those variables in his .profile, making them
>available to all child shells after login.
>
>[ aside: I like the .bashrc idea better as invoking xterm with
>  '-ls' is fairly rare. ]

It also isn't necessarily smart.  A login shell might need
initialization that sub-shells do not, and those things can be
done from ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile and
exclude all sub-shells if the common initializations, which the
sub-shell should see, are done in ~/.bashrc alone.  Examples
would be whatever stty commands might be necessary, setting PATH
using recursion, selecting a terminal type if the user commonly
logs in from a variety of different terminals or doing anything
which sends the terminal an init string (such as using tset(1)).

None of those needs to be done, or should be done, for every
xterm or for every sub-shell.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: "Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GNOME/Sawfish inconsistently locks up
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 00:02:18 GMT

I've only been using linux for ~2 weeks, so bare with me.  I have RH 6.2
with Helix GNOME running Sawfish window manager.  I have yet to run a
session longer than ~2 hours before my GNOME session locks up.

Sometimes it'll lock up after only 2 minutes, so I don't think it's
hardware overheating.   It does not appear to be linked to any single
application or action either.

Sometimes I can CTRL+ALT+Backspace to a prompt, KILL some processes and
then re-StartX.  Othertimes I can't get to a prompt and must to turn off
the computer and reboot.

Any suggestions?  I'm stumped, and do not even know if there is some log
file that might help me figure out what's going on.  Thanks!

-Ed

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 20:01:34 -0400

David Stone wrote (in part):

> As root, when I follow the menu structure to an app, I expect it to launch,
> but it doesn't. As a regular user, I follow the same path to the same apps,
> and the app does launch.

That is not always a valid assumption. The super-user is the only user that
CANNOT run the IBM DB2 dbms. They know that security of the databases would be
compromized if the super-user could diddle things, so the super-user is locked
out. Actually, applications start, but immediately exit. IIRC, you may get a
message, but then again, you may not.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 00:08:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ingemar Lundin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 09 Sep 2000 18:56:49 GMT
<RJvu5.2186$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>you cant be for real...are you really pushing for a OS that has been
>STONEDEATH!!! for at least 10 years now???

AmigaOS wasn't horribly bright, but the machine itself was impressive.
Note the difference.

Actually, the lower parts of AmigaOS weren't bad, either; they were
OO before OO became a buzzword, and fit neatly into 256k of
KickRAM, later KickROM.  The DOS part of AmigaOS was fairly stupid,
but worked (using BCPL didn't help, either -- those pointers were
just flat-out weird).

All in all, a nice little system, doing things which OS/2 had
problems in < 4 meg of memory at the time (and DOS couldn't do
at all).

But Commodore dies, and Windows wins out over all.  Go fig.

[snip for brevity]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Glibc 2.1 Locale trouble
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 23:49:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard J. Freedman) wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Sep 2000 21:45:08 GMT, NF Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Matthew Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>I can't seem to properly set the locale with the glibc-2.1.3 that came
>>>with my Slackware 7.1. Though I can change the LANG environment variable
>>>and have the other LC variables changed appropriately, programs such as
>>>kterm or perl insist in the following manner that the locale cannot be
>>>changed:
>>
>>IIRC you have to compile the locale using localedef which comes
>>with glibc.
>>
>>Norman
>

>Yes ---- but how do you do that? I cannot find any documentation for localedef.

localedef --help should give details as to the parameters required but
other than that I have no idea. Is there nothing in the glibc info
or man pages.

Norman

------------------------------

From: Rod Haper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 00:54:41 GMT

Some bash versions are notorious for not handling SIGHUP properly so you might mant to
make sure that your version works correctly or use another shell ... like tcsh.  From
the mgetty FAQ:

"The kernel will signal the shell via the SIGHUP signal when the DCD line
on the modem drops. Then the shell will exit, and init will re-start
mgetty. Unfortunately, the BASH shell is very broken in various versions
and will ignore the SIGHUP signal, so that could be one reason why it
isn't exiting."

Also make sure that your modem and and any serial cabling (for an external modem)
handles the DCD line properly.  I.e., make sure that your modem raises and lowers it
normally with the dialup connection.

Since it sounds like you really want to limit the dialup user's access, why not just
make sure that the menu application that you are writing handles SIGHUP properly and
run your menu application as the user's login shell instead of bash?

Rod

------------------------------

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question: cron and tape backups
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 20:15:41 -0500

"Andrew N. McGuire" wrote:

> [ please set your word wrap to something kinder ]

Oops. Done.  I'm afraid an admonition me from would not have been as gentle.

> On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Robert Jones quoth:

<snip the ragged stuff>

> My suggestion would be to use a yes/no file or expect.
> What I mean by a yes/no file can best be exemplified like
> so:
>
> [anm@hawk ~] cat test.sh                                   [pts/1]
> #!/bin/sh
>
> echo -n "What do you choose? [red|blue|green]: "
> read choice
>
> case $choice in
>    red)
>        echo "You chose red!"
>    ;;
>    blue)
>        echo "You chose blue!"
>    ;;
>    green)
>        echo "You chose green!"
>    ;;
>    *)
>        echo "Invalid choice!"
>    ;;
> esac
> [anm@hawk ~] cat color                                     [pts/1]
> blue
> [anm@hawk ~] ./test.sh < color                             [pts/1]
> What do you choose? [red|blue|green]: You chose blue!

I'll ponder that over and play with it a bit.  Later.  In the meantime, I think
I'll simply do my backup in two separate chunks, 1st one started by cron; 2nd
one by yours truly after I've had coffee, fed the cat and generally have become
alert enough to type my user name. (All both letters of it). The end result
would, of course, be the same: everything on my hard drive backed up to 2 DAT
tapes.  The other 3 options are, in reality non-options:
A) Don't backup
B) Scrap Linux, embrace Microsloth and backup in Windows
C) Rush out and buy a [however-big-they-come-these-days] DAT drive

Thanks for the reply!
--
Then there was the Formosan bartender named Taiwan-On.

  7:30pm  up 5 days, 13:43,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:20:51 GMT

Sorry... IBM has killed OS/2 for good.

get a real OS (i can recommend both SuSE Linux 6.4 and Windows 2000
Professional)

/IL

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 20:27:52 -0500
From: paul simdars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: XWindow -- RESET ????

Steve wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 09:58:58 -0500, paul simdars wrote:
> >I do have another little problem with X.
>
> Hi Paul
>
> Try going out of X with Alt+Ctrl+BackSpace, then
> do:
>
> $  ps -e |less
>
> this will give you a full list of processes in "less", the text
> viewer, (up and down arrows to navigate, q to quit back go command
> line), have a look at the process list and if X is still there do:
>
> $ kill 1242  ## assuming 1242 is the process id of X
>
> if that doesn't work, then
>
> $ kill -9 1242  ## assuming again that 1242 is the X process.
>
> logout, log back in (this doesn't mean turn off the machine), do
>
> $ logout
>
> then login and startx (hope you're not logging in as root).
>
> Hope some of this helps.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> %HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.
>
> web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/
>
> or  http://start.at/zero-pps
>
>   2:27am  up 17 days,  6:40,  3 users,  load average: 1.02, 1.02, 1.02

My system started up funny this evening and I tried ps -e | less but
there was no 'X' in the list. And, stopping and starting X does not help.

From: "D. Abuan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Performance w/ DSL???
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:29:19 GMT

Thanks alot guys...gotten consisten 890kbs from the win
box with the RWIN tweak...

--

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: QNA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partition Cross-Over Project: Extended to Primary
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:28:48 GMT

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> QNA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : i have nothing in my Primary Partition. All of my space is located in
my

> Wait a second. If you have nothing in your primary partition, then it
> is full of space, so it's not true that all your space is located in
> your extended partition!
>
> : Extended Partition. My Extended partition is split between Linux and
>
> Do you mean "subpartitioned" instead of "split"? You can't split a
> partition, except into two different partitoons, and then they wouldn't
> be split.
>
> : Windows. How Do i delete what is in my extended Partition and then re-
>
> Well, it depends what you mean by "delete". You could take a partition
> editor to your partition table. That would leave the data intact. Or
> you could reformat the contents of the partition. That would wipe the
> data, but leave the partition table intact.
>
> Which would you prefer?
>
> : install things in my Primary partition. Why do i want do this? because
at

> You can always reisnstall anything in your primary partition (or any
other).
> You don't have to do any wiping to do so!
>
> : the LILO prompt when i select to run the Windows OS it says "windows
>
> You really ought to start windows in rescue mode to see what its
> problem is. COuld it be that it doesn't like the label on the extended
> partition? Change it to 5 from 85 (or vice versa). It's all the same to
> linux.
>
> : something to do with it. either way i would like to put the space in
my
> : primary partition. thanks.
>
> But you said it was already full of space!
>
> What do you mean?
>
> And what stops you showing us your partition table?
>
> Peter

thanks for your help. my computer was extremely jumbled and "messed up" i
guess you would say. i downloaded 'Ranish Partition Manager' on a floppy
and ran it on my computer then put all of my space on a Primary Dos
Partition and deleted everything else then started over with re-installed
windows, everything is fine now i just have a lot of work and re-
installing files to do.......

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 20:52:33 -0500

On 9 Sep 2000, Floyd Davidson quoth:

FD> "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
FD> >On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Bit Twister quoth:
FD> >
FD> >BT> try putting the variables in  .bash_profile
FD> >BT> logout/login  and see what you see.
FD> >
FD> >[ snip upside-down quoted text ]
FD> >
FD> >Wrong.  .bash_profile is the first file bash looks to execute
FD> >for a ~login shell~.  If you had said .bashrc your answer would
FD> >have been correct.  The other solution is to invoke xterm with the
FD> >'-ls' option to make it a login shell.  As an alternative, he
FD> >could also export those variables in his .profile, making them
FD> >available to all child shells after login.
FD> >
FD> >[ aside: I like the .bashrc idea better as invoking xterm with
FD> >  '-ls' is fairly rare. ]
FD>
FD> It also isn't necessarily smart.  A login shell might need
FD> initialization that sub-shells do not, and those things can be
FD> done from ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login or ~/.profile and
FD> exclude all sub-shells if the common initializations, which the
FD> sub-shell should see, are done in ~/.bashrc alone.  Examples
FD> would be whatever stty commands might be necessary, setting PATH
FD> using recursion, selecting a terminal type if the user commonly
FD> logs in from a variety of different terminals or doing anything
FD> which sends the terminal an init string (such as using tset(1)).

You are making alot of assumptions here.

FD> None of those needs to be done, or should be done, for every
FD> xterm or for every sub-shell.

Right, and the OP wanted to know how to do something in every shell.
(what _something_ is, we don't know, so we can't make assumptions)
The answer, as I said is either:

1. export it from .profile or equivalent.
2. put it in .bashrc (preferred, that is what it is for)
3. use 'xterm -ls'

So your correction is?

anm

From: noyb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Locate inititlization does not complete
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:59:46 GMT

Using Red Hat 6.1.  While trying to set up the locate database with
the command
                   locate -uv
it hangs up at the file /.automount.

It takes a ctl-c to bring back a prompt and of course the database
is not written, making locate useless.

I have fsck'ed the drive with -f from a rescue floppy.

Any idea of what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Alkoff N2LA

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA
Reply to:  larryalk at mindspring dot com