Linux-Misc Digest #756, Volume #25               Thu, 14 Sep 00 00:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  finger utility (Elle Yoko Suzuki)
  Re: finger utility (Justin B Willoughby)
  Re: aic7xxx 2.4.0 kernel module...gone (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Newbie question on Open Source SW (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Virus ? (Paul Kimoto)
  broken finger utility ("e l l e :)")
  patches for mandrake (Valverde)
  256 MB memory cant work in REdHat 6.1 ("miko")
  Help: batch renaming files - stripping bogus extensions ("Jerri Blavittł")
  Re: Corel Linux won't boot!? Hangs indefinitely at startup (Ken)
  MsLinux! (John Doe)
  Re: 256 MB memory cant work in REdHat 6.1 (The Drag)
  Re: patches for mandrake (James Franklin)
  Re: 256 MB memory cant work in REdHat 6.1 (sideband)
  RedHat 6.2 PCMCIA SCSI broken (Roger Davis)
  kernel-2.4.0 problem (Praedor Tempus)
  Re: Why Does the EXT2 filesystem not need defragmentation. (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: Can't install LILO when Linux > 8 GB limit with PC with BIOS restriction (mike)
  Re: Scripting SSH (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Wierd Gnome problem - Desktop Icons disappear in some WMs ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  fonts ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Sound recording (or rather lack of it). (Pete Zaitcev)
  Upgrade from RH 5.2 to 6.0 lost ZipDrive (Paxx)
  Re: Why Does the EXT2 filesystem not need defragmentation. (Christopher Browne)

From: Elle Yoko Suzuki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: finger utility
Date: 14 Sep 2000 02:17:04 GMT

so the finger utility is acting weird on a linux 6.1 box.  i can
'finger' but i can not 'finger user' without the -m option.
with the -m option, i can obtain some information.  i get
'segmentation fault' from running 'finger user'.  i thought this
was a memory problem, but running top, and then emliminating some
of the huge processes produced no change.  is finger sieriously
broken?  and if so, can this be fixed?  thanks for any input.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin B Willoughby)
Subject: Re: finger utility
Date: 14 Sep 2000 02:25:04 GMT

Elle Yoko Suzuki ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> so the finger utility is acting weird on a linux 6.1 box.  i can
> 'finger' but i can not 'finger user' without the -m option.
> with the -m option, i can obtain some information.  i get
> 'segmentation fault' from running 'finger user'.  i thought this
> was a memory problem, but running top, and then emliminating some
> of the huge processes produced no change.  is finger sieriously
> broken?  and if so, can this be fixed?  thanks for any input.

Does finger username@localhost  work?

- Justin
--
   _/     _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/    _/ _/   _/   = Justin Willoughby   =
  _/       _/    _/_/  _/  _/    _/   _/_/     = I use SlackWare!!   =

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: aic7xxx 2.4.0 kernel module...gone
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:14:31 -0500

Darren Welson wrote:

> Every time I recompile 2.4.0-test 6,7, and 8 kernel, I cannot seem to
> successfully load the AIC7XXX module, or at least have it made.  Anyone know
> how I can check to make sure I am actually making this module, or find a way
> I can to compile it into the kernel?  I have added it as a module and IN the
> kernel in all three test versions as a low-level SCSI option, but what am I
> missing?
>
> darren

I don't understand this thread.  We've been using scisi drives with
that module since 2.0.XX kernels.  They are modules for the
generic kernel.  Of course you have to have an appropriate entry
in /etc/conf.modules, and in order to boot you need an initrd
statement (and you must have run mkinitrd).  Way back under
RH4.2, we went to the trouble of making kernels with SCSI
support built in but we haven't bothered doing that since
RH5.X.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question on Open Source SW
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:09:23 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am a business researcher doing some work on the
> open source movement.  I'd like to get some
> feedback from users on a couple of issues that I
> want to understand at the "grass roots" level vs.
> just taking what the business press says as
> gospel.
>
> 1. Why would you choose (or not choose) to buy or
> use a commercialized ("branded")version of Linux
> or Apache vs. just using the other freely
> available versions (under GNU or other copyleft
> arrangement).

What do you mean by a "branded version".  All true Linux
distributions are open software.  What do you consider
a freely available version?

> 2.  What do you think are the pros and cons of
> the "branded" versions of Linux or Apache (Red
> Hat being the most widely known example)?

I think you are confused.  RedHat, Suse, Debian, etc. may all
be downloaded for free.  They are covered the GNU Public License,
and the vendors can't keep someone else from copying the basic
distribution and giving it away or selling it for whatever
price they can get.  It is quite easy to order such a CD
for under $1 plus shipping.  You can also download an iso
image and make your own installation CD.

> 3.  Is selling branded open source software a
> good idea?  Why or why not?

As long as they adhere the the GPL for the basic distribution,
there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.  They are providing
a service in packaging the distribution in a conevenient form
and providing easy to use documentation.  (The documentation
is also available on the CD.)  They also provide some help
in installation if you buy and official version.  All that
is worth something, and the cost is pretty moderate.

> I'm just looking for opinions from real people.
> Thanks!

I think you have some real misconceptions.  Consider the
vast difference between RedHat 6.2 and Windows 98.  I
can get a CD for the former and install it on as many
computers as I want. I can give it to or make copies for others.
I also have access to the source code if I want to try to
track down a bug, although few people will make use of that.
If I buy a new computer with the latter these days, I get
a CD which will only allow me to reinstall it on that
particular computer.  It gives me very little flexibility
in how I can use it.  Gates and friends act as if they
own my computer, no matter how much I paid for it.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Virus ?
Date: 13 Sep 2000 22:02:25 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Marshall Lake wrote:
> This is something I have never encountered before installing the current
> version of Linux that I have.  Maybe someone can tell me what's up.
> This has happened more than once to me with various files of the same type
> (text files).
>
> I'm running 2.2.15.  I have a simple, short text file (about 900 bytes).
> The file contains no non-ASCII characters, and nothing otherwise funny
> or weird.  If I execute the "file" command on the text file I get:
> "fsav (linux) virus (295545-84)"
> If I try to lpr the file I get:
> "No way to print this type of input file:  fsav (linux) virus (295545-84)"
>
> If I insert a blank line at the top and at the bottom of the file then
> everything is fine.
>
> What's going on?

This probably has nothing to do with the kernel.

I assume that these files are not corrupted, and contain exactly what you
expect them to.

file(1) just uses heuristics to guess the type of the file based on the
first few characters or lines.  Apparently it has become confused, or your
files contain something strange (or unexpected) near the beginning.
Apparently your print system uses file(1) to ascertain (or guess) the file
type (to decide what to do with it).  Adding stuff at the top of the file
could change what file(1) sees, and hence what it diagnoses.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: "e l l e :)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: broken finger utility
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:28:03 -0700

i can 'finger' but i can not 'finger user' without the -m option.
with the -m option, i can obtain some information.  i get
'segmentation fault' from running 'finger user'.  i thought this
was a memory problem, but running top, and then emliminating some
of the huge processes produced no change.  does X, being a huge cpu/
memory process, have anything to do with this problem?  is finger
seriously broken?  and if so, can this be fixed?  thanks for any input.

-elle

------------------------------

From: Valverde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: patches for mandrake
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:45:26 -0700

Is there a place where I can download patches for mandrake linux?
Thanks!

------------------------------

From: "miko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,hk.comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: 256 MB memory cant work in REdHat 6.1
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:20:13 +0800

I have used 128MB x 2 (total 256MB) in the RH6.1 (Kernel 2.2.12-20)
however I found only 128MB show on 'dmesg'.

I have already changed the file 'lilo.conf'.
the context is as follows:
boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda12
        append="mem=256M"

I have also reboot the machine.

Moreover, I can find 256MB ram after reboot.

what should I do ?

Michael Kwan

------------------------------

From: "Jerri Blavittł" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Help: batch renaming files - stripping bogus extensions
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:28:39 -0600

I'm having no luck using rename to strip off the weird file name tails
that occur after the normal extension .jpg

This directory is huge, with 1000+ files. A harvest-bot often globbed
the byte size of the file onto the tail end of the file name.

Using wildcards to remove it fails i.e.

rename .jpg* .jpg *
or
rename ".jpg *" .jpg *

A sample of the mixed file names is below, notice that there appears to
be illegal white space between .jpg and xxxxxx bytes

-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed    107545 Sep 13 21:12 sn-O0024.jpg 107545 bytes
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed    100391 Sep 13 21:12 sn-O0064.jpg 100391 bytes
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed    109157 Sep 13 21:12 sn-O0073.jpg 109157 bytes
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed    108099 Sep 13 21:12 sn-o0010.jpg 108099
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed    109584 Sep 13 21:12 sn-o0011.jpg 109584
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed    107300 Sep 13 21:12 sn-o0019.jpg 107300
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed    101765 Sep 13 21:12 sn-o0030.jpg 101765
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed    106760 Sep 13 21:12 sn-o0213.jpg 106760
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed     99057 Sep 13 21:12 ss13h09.jpg
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed     95988 Sep 13 21:12 ss14c19.jpg
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed     96597 Sep 13 21:12 ss21h05.jpg
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed     99716 Sep 13 21:12 ss32d06.jpg
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed     98067 Sep 13 21:12 ss32d10.jpg
-rw-r--r--    1 feed  feed     96451 Sep 13 21:12 ss32d13.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

ps I also tried something like this:

for file in *.jpg* ; do mv $file `echo $file | sed 's/\(.*\.\)/\1jpg/'` ; done

and it complains:

mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a directory
Try `mv --help' for more information.

------------------------------

From: Ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel Linux won't boot!? Hangs indefinitely at startup
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 02:28:38 GMT

hmmm.... I am checking into it.
off the top of my head, I remember that it has:

Corellinux login:

Usually, it'll just keep going from that point....

I type the name that I installed it under, and it responds. It's just the
fact that there isn't a desktop of any kind.
*Isn't this the console that I am in? it's all text* -yes, I'm a "newbie"
to Linux remember! *heh heh!

It is Version 1 of Corel Linux, purchased at a store (standard ed. without
the stuffed penguin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: MsLinux!
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 02:40:01 GMT

http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsme/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Drag)
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: 256 MB memory cant work in REdHat 6.1
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 02:41:30 GMT

WOW, you are a crossposting maniac.

Did you run lilo and then reboot?
Try moving the append line up a couple lines in the configuration.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Franklin)
Subject: Re: patches for mandrake
Date: 13 Sep 2000 21:48:35 -0600

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:45:26 -0700, Valverde wrote:
>Is there a place where I can download patches for mandrake linux?
>Thanks!

You can go to their website http://www.linux-mandrak.com
OR
You can use their built in update utility called MandrakeUpdate.
--
James

A Daily Quip, Quote, or Fortune:
The primary cause of failure in electrical appliances is an expired
warranty.  Often, you can get an appliance running again simply by changing
the warranty expiration date with a 15/64-inch felt-tipped marker.
                -- Dave Barry, "The Taming of the Screw"

------------------------------

From: sideband <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:51:14 -0400

did you rerun /sbin/lilo after modifying lilo.conf?

Simply changing lilo.conf is not enought.

If that doesn't work, at the LILO: prompt, type linux mem=256M and see
if that helps.

It also couldn't hurt to update to a more current  kernel. 2.2.17 is
out.

HTH

-SSB

On or about Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:20:13 +0800, "miko"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, using the forum comp.os.linux.hardware did
say:

:

From: Roger Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RedHat 6.2 PCMCIA SCSI broken
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:47:20 -1000

==============010D56420135B002A7EAE526

==============010D56420135B002A7EAE526

I just upgraded my Dell I7500 laptop from RedHat 6.1 to 6.2
(kernel 2.2.14), and my PCMCIA SCSI tape drive is no longer visible.
I am using an Adaptec SlimSCSI 1480 PCMCIA card connected to an
Exabyte Eliant 820 8mm tape drive. (Yes, the SCSI bus is terminated
and I am supplying termination power to the bus via a special
Granite Digital terminator with an external power connection.)
This is the same hardware (including cabling) that worked fine
under RedHat 6.1. There are no other SCSI devices on the bus.
I just tested the tape drive on a Solaris system and it is working.

According to /var/log/messages the PCMCIA card is recognized,
but the tape drive is not visible:

Sep 13 06:18:17 ctrobot kernel: apa1480_attach(bus 35, function 0)
Sep 13 06:18:17 ctrobot kernel: aic7xxx: <Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI controller> at PCI 35/0/0
Sep 13 06:18:17 ctrobot kernel: aic7xxx: I/O ports already in use, ignoring.
Sep 13 06:18:17 ctrobot kernel: apa1480_cs: no SCSI devices found
Sep 13 06:18:17 ctrobot kernel: scsi : 0 hosts.
Sep 13 06:18:17 ctrobot cardmgr[491]: get dev info on socket 1 failed: No such device

Here's output from 'cardctl ident'

Socket 0:
  product info: "3Com Corporation", "3CCFE575CT", "LAN Cardbus Card", "004"
  manfid: 0x0101, 0x5257
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  product info: "Adaptec", "APA-1480 SCSI Host Adapter", "", ""
  manfid: 0x012f, 0xcb01
  function: 8 (SCSI)

I rummaged through the HOWTOs and found something about possibly needing to
reconfigure the kernel to make the SCSI tape driver not a module, so I did
that (and the same for the aic7xxx driver as well), but that doesn't help.
(BTW, when I rebuilt the kernel PCMCIA completely stopped working because
the kernel could not locate /lib/modules/my_kernel/pcmcia. Why wasn't that
directory created by the build? I worked around it by symlinking to
/lib/modules/old_kernel/pcmcia so PCMCIA works again, but I'd like to make
sure things are done right by the kernel build.)

I don't remember having to do any of this stuff under 6.1 to get my tape
drive to work. Does anyone know what the problem is here?

Thanks!

From: Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel-2.4.0 problem
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:08:50 -0600

I recently built kernel-2.4.0-beta7 to give the new
kernel a testdrive.  It built just fine, it installed
fine, I added the appropriate new entry to my
/etc/lilo.conf file, ran lilo, no problems.

I then tried to restart the computer and give the
new kernel a whirl.  Kernel panic is what I got.
That and a message about not being able to use
root device 308 or 03:06.  There was also a message
there about trying an append statement with root=.

Looking at lilo.conf, the entry is proper, as far
as I can tell:

image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.0-1
        label=240
        root=/dev/hda6
        append=""
        read-only

This entry is essentially the same as each of the other
working kernel entries.  I do not understand where the
"308" or "03:06" nonsense is coming from, and I don't
understand why it doesn't like the "root=/dev/hda6"
entry.

I have also tried booting thus:

LILO: 240 append="root=/dev/hda6"

but this ends the same as well (I thought there might be
some stupid problem in reading the root line in lilo.conf.

Where/what is 308 or 03:06?  Why doesn't the 2.4 kernel like
/dev/hda6 as the root device?  It IS the root device, afterall,
and every other kernel I have built likes this and works.

Can anyone help me out with this please?

praedor

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Does the EXT2 filesystem not need defragmentation.
Date: 13 Sep 2000 18:44:10 -0800

mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>    I have been looking for detailed explainations as to why
>Linux ext2 does not have a fragmentation problem.
>
>                                                    Mike

What would it accomplish?  On a multi-user/multi-tasking OS that
buffers disk reads to whatever RAM is available, there just is
no significant performance hit due to disk fragmentation.

Due to multi-tasking for many users, actual disk reads are
scattered all about the disk anyway.  And since any decent
modern OS puts disk reads into RAM buffers and therefore many
(or with enough RAM, most) disk read requests actually become
memory reads instead, once again there is no added performance
hit due to disk fragmentation.

None of the above relates directly to any specific file system.

--
Floyd L. Davidson                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't install LILO when Linux > 8 GB limit with PC with BIOS restriction
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:22:18 -0400

Hi,
    the way that I dealt with the issue was to install a Promise
Technology's DriveMAX card. It is a very small isa card that
extends your current bios to allow up to 128 gb hard drives
to be installed. It does not require any special software. It
works right away on Windows and Linux. It does not
have any ide ports.
  I did have to install the new version of Lilo. I think version
21.5 which I got from ftp://ftp.metalab.org
  For my system I needed to add the following line in the
lilo.conf file

                        lba32

I also changed the delay=5 to delay=50 to allow the
lilo prompt to remain for a reasonable time on my system.

   The new lilo source compiles and is user friendly and asks
question.
   Fast installing can be done by executing the QuickInstall script

                                                                Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Scripting SSH
Date: 14 Sep 2000 03:26:03 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Jeffrey Hood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>> Alternatively, you could just add your public key on the server and be
>> done with password prompts altogether. Of course, then it might be too
>> seamless..

>I hate to sound stupid, but where do I go to find how to do this... ??

In the file called ~/.ssh/authorized_keys you place the public keys of
yourself on
the machines you want to log onto this machine from Make sure that in
the /etc/ssh/sshd.conf file you have RSAAuthentication yes
Alternatively, make sure you have the same private key on each of the
machines ( .ssh/identity is the same on each) and place the
corresponding public key identity.pub into each authorized_keys file.
This will allow you to log on without password from anyone of the
machines to anyone of the other of those machines. (ie it is like
.rhosts, but encrypted)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Wierd Gnome problem - Desktop Icons disappear in some WMs
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:18:26 GMT

I too have a similar problem.  It seems as if icewm conflicts with how
gmc works with the root window, atleast with some configurations.
Initially I had a pre-packaged install of Mandrake7.1 running gnome and
icewm together just fine.  Then I upgraded my gnome install with the
rpms provided by helixcode.com.  Since then icewm and gnome haven't been
able to play nice any more.  If anyone know how to resolve this
conflict, id be happy to know.

--yeuhi

> I can add new icons) but my old icons seem to simple cease to exist.
> They all reappear for a split second while I switch WMs, but after
> hitting ice once they never work again in any other WM including
> Sawmill.  If I open the desktop folder and try to drag an icon to the
> desktop, I get a message somewhere along the lines of the file already
> exists there or something like that (those who useGNOME should know
what

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: fonts
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:22:38 GMT

Iam on Red hat 6.2/kernel 2.2.12-20.How do I change the system wide X
window default font. My default font is unreadable and causes weird
graphic effects. Presently I am calling all the the X apps explicitly
with the -fn fontname argument for the text to be readable. Which is
the configuration file i should edit. Thanks.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Subject: Re: Sound recording (or rather lack of it).
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:33:47 GMT

> > I am running Debian 2.2, kernel 2.2.17pre6 and a SoundBlaster Live using
> > the Creative/Emu module.
> >
> > Try as I might I cannot record anything!
> >
> > When I say I cannot record I mean that, although I can create a file by
> > using something like Gramofile, Sound-recorder or KRecord, when it is

> I am using krecord and gramofile on two systems with older soundblaster
> cards. Try as I might, I could not record anything from the line in. In
> desperation, I tried the microphone in, and I could record.
>
> This does not make any sense to me, and I kept trying the line in with
> various mixer settings, nothing but soft white noise.

Interesting... Here I have a genuine SB 16. A weird thing happens:
it reports only one "line" control, and it adjusts line in and
line out in the same time. My application requires duplex capabilty.
So I switched to mike input and can record just fine. I expected
that impedance mismatch would produce some defects but apparently
I cannot hear them.

--Pete

------------------------------

From: Paxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Upgrade from RH 5.2 to 6.0 lost ZipDrive
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:31:47 GMT

 Does upgrading from RH 5.2 to 6.0 lose the ability to use insmod to
use my Zip Drive. If so, how can I get this back?
--
Paxx -
[This space for Rent]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:45:09 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Floyd Davidson would say:
>mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>    I have been looking for detailed explainations as to why
>>Linux ext2 does not have a fragmentation problem.
>
>What would it accomplish?  On a multi-user/multi-tasking OS that
>buffers disk reads to whatever RAM is available, there just is
>no significant performance hit due to disk fragmentation.
>
>Due to multi-tasking for many users, actual disk reads are
>scattered all about the disk anyway.  And since any decent
>modern OS puts disk reads into RAM buffers and therefore many
>(or with enough RAM, most) disk read requests actually become
>memory reads instead, once again there is no added performance
>hit due to disk fragmentation.
>
>None of the above relates directly to any specific file system.

... All of which is true, and is _somewhat_ orthogonal to the
question.

a) Yes, when you get multitasking into play, there is some _inherent_
   fragmentation of accesses _regardless_ of how data is physically
   organized.

   But that does not establish that there is "no fragmentation problem,"
   only that there _is fragmentation_.

b) Yes, cacheing is good; that diminishes the ill effects of fragmentation
   as the accesses come from RAM...

   That means that fragmentation is a bit less important than it might
   otherwise be.

The _important_ point is that ext2 only suffers _significantly_ in
performance from fragmentation when you write to a filesystem that is very
full, in which case you likely have bigger problems than from performance.

That tends to be true for _any_ reasonably modern filesystem design;
things should be pretty quick when the FS isn't terribly full, and you
run into the _innate_ dilemma of having to do a lot of work to find free
space to fit in new material.

MS-DOS "FAT" suffers from the problem that it doesn't have a good way
to "coalesce" free space; once you have consumed all the space on the
partition, it can start "choking" even though there is lots of free space,
basically because the space management scheme is 15 years old, and rather
naive, ignoring the understanding of filesystems that existed at the time.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linux.html>
The proof of a system's value is its existence.