From: Aaron Brice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba over the internet?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:30:29 GMT

> Samba access is not controlled via tcp wrappers (it uses his
> own acl through smb.conf), as many other services are not,
> please rtfm (read the fine manual).

That's very true.  However, the smb.conf has a hosts allow parameter that you can set,
which is what I was referring to.

> Perhaps, I'll see a post from you soon, telling us
> "help, I have been hacked", then you may decide if
> those people wanted to help you and perhaps have some
> more clue about UNIX then you and your friend together.

I have the shell set to /bin/false.  Can you tell me specifically how someone could
hack
into my system, and what they could do?  Or do you just have a vague impression that
Samba is insecure in some way?  If you have some specific information about how samba
is
insecure that's one thing, but when you just say "Samba is insecure, use ssh instead or
you'll get hacked," it doesn't seem terribly helpful.  Do you believe that someone can
hack your system if you're running Samba, no matter what your system's configuration
is?

So anyway I went out and bought the the Samba O'Reilly book, and here's what it says:

"Windows 95/98 machines cannot become or even contact a domain master browser.  The
Samba group feels that this is a marketing decision from Microsoft that forces
customers
to have at least one Windows NT workstation (or Samba server) on each subnet of a
multi-subnet workgroup."

So apparently this is my problem.  This explains why I was not seeing anything in the
logs when he tried to connect.  The interesting thing is that my own Win98 computer
connects to the Linux computer just fine even though it's on a different subnet
(they're
attached to the same hub and routed directly though).

Oh well, I guess I'll have to try my luck explaining ftp to my mom..  And yes I am
aware
that ftp is insecure and sends plain text passwords..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("Paul")
Subject: Mouse frozen
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:30:47 +0000 (UTC)

=======_NextPart_000_0007_01C0D1A3.6CE38B60

Hi
Is there a different mouse driver for linux? or for X? because my mouse =
locked up everytime I switch between Windows and Linux using analog =
Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse switch. I notice NT and 98 and Me don't locked up =
on this particular switch I have, only Linux will lock up. Just =
wondering maybe there is a different mouse driver that will solve this =
problem. Thanks.

=======_NextPart_000_0007_01C0D1A3.6CE38B60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there a different mouse driver for =
linux? or for=20
X? because my mouse locked up everytime I switch between Windows and =
Linux using=20
analog Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse switch. I notice NT and 98 and Me don't =
locked up=20
on this particular switch I have, only Linux will lock up. Just =
wondering maybe=20
there is a different mouse driver that will solve this problem.=20
Thanks.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

=======_NextPart_000_0007_01C0D1A3.6CE38B60==

--
Posted from h24-79-68-90.vc.shawcable.net [24.79.68.90]

From: Aaron Brice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:31:43 GMT

No, apparently it's a limitation of Win98 and not Samba as far as I can
tell.  Thanks for the help though.

Aaron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't boot the 2.4.1 Kernel  !!
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:36:10 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:18:00 +0800, "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I compiled the Linux Kernel 2.4.1 for a i586 PC(Pentimum -166 MMX with 98Mb
>RAM).
>It compiled successfully.
>
>But when I reboot the system.
>
>The following message displayed :
>
>LILO Loading linux ........................................
>Uncompressing Linux ... OK, booting the kernel.
>

>And then it kept this stage without response.
>How can I do now ? And how to make the linux run again ? Or, what should I
>do when compile the kernel or what should do after finishing compile the
>kernel(what files should modified) ????
>
>After I compiled the kernel, I modified the lilo.conf for changing the new
>kernel image. and run "lilo" once, and the reboot..... after that, my Linux
>system can't boot up.
>
>Please teach me how can I do ????
>

>Best regards,
>Eric

FYI... I'm having the same problem with the 2.4.4 kernel source I
compiled.  Haven't tried some of the tips mentioned but will.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: Which kernel has DVD support?
Date: 1 May 2001 02:25:48 GMT

I plan to install a DVD drive on my PC, when did Linux start supporting
DVD? I have 2.2.13-22mdk kernel from Mandrake on my PC, do I need to
upgrade to a newer kernel or something?

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Nichols)
Subject: Re: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:33:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:Villy Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> That would take for ever as well.  It just takes that long to write 10
:> gigabyte to a disk.
:
:mmm .. at 5MB/s (streaming), it should take 2000 seconds, or 35 mins
:(whichever is longer :-).
:
:I would suggest a session with hdparm first. hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda ?
:
:And up the blocksize in dd:
:
:  n=0
:  while true; do
:    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024k seek=$n
:    echo -n .
:    n=$[ $n + 1 ]
:  done

You'll find that the time for each seek gets progressively longer as you
advance through the disk.  That's because 'dd' doesn't actually do
seeks, it reads through the data it is skipping over.  That's an ancient
hack to cope with legacy devices that claim success when asked to seek,
but don't actually do it.

You can get the effect you want with a pipeline:

    while dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=10240 2>/dev/null
    do  echo -n . >&2
    done | dd of=/dev/hda ibs=1k obs=32k

You can play with that "obs=32k" blocksize to see what works best on your
system.

--
Bob Nichols         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Tim Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: > /dev/hda16 ?
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 03:06:17 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I need to make /dev/hda17 through /dev/hda20.  I think I need to
use mknod, but have been unable to figure out the syntax.

mknod  /dev/hda17 3 17 does not work, for example.

Would someone out there give me an example of how to do this?

I'm running RedHat 7.1.

Thanks,

Tim Holmes

~

------------------------------

From: =Ray= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: YDL 2.0
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:10:41 -0700

Does anyone know when the Yellow Dog Linux 2.0 is supposed to come out?

Also, what is the correct pronunciation for "linux"? I've heard it where
the 'i' is short (as in 'thin') and long (as in 'mine').

Thanks,
=Ray=

------------------------------

From: eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: > /dev/hda16 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:24:29 -0500

Tim Holmes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to make /dev/hda17 through /dev/hda20.  I think I need to
> use mknod, but have been unable to figure out the syntax.
>
> mknod  /dev/hda17 3 17 does not work, for example.
>
> Would someone out there give me an example of how to do this?
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.1.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim Holmes
>
> ~

you are missing the type of device (block, character, ...)

mknod /dev/hda17 b 3 17

The b being a block device

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 03:29:21 GMT

On 11 Apr 2001 10:07:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vegard Engen)
wrote:

>In article <9b10gg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Eric Chow wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I compiled the Linux Kernel 2.4.1 for a i586 PC(Pentimum -166 MMX with 98Mb
>>RAM).
>>It compiled successfully.
>>
>>But when I reboot the system.
>>
>>The following message displayed :
>>
>>LILO Loading linux ........................................
>>Uncompressing Linux ... OK, booting the kernel.
>>

>>And then it kept this stage without response.
>>How can I do now ? And how to make the linux run again ? Or, what should I
>>do when compile the kernel or what should do after finishing compile the
>>kernel(what files should modified) ????
>
>Well - first, boot up the old kernel. If you don't have it, you'll need to
>boot with a rescue disk.
>
>Then, when compiling the 2.4.1-kernel again, make sure you select
>"VGA text console", "Virtual terminal"and "Support for console on virtual
>terminal".
>
>My guess is that you have compiled your kernel without one of these, thus
>the kernel have to way to give out the messages - and worse, you have no way
>to interact with the system ;)
>
>- Vegard

I had the same result as Michael.  Have all those things set.  Had a
successful compile and it doesn't work.

I am looking at the minimum requirements.  So far, I've met most of
them.  Will post the results of what I find out.

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: YDL 2.0
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 03:54:31 GMT

=Ray= wrote:

 The correct pronunciation for "linux"?
 the 'i' is short (as in 'thin')

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.181% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 01 May 2001 03:56:53 GMT

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:54:58 +0100, John staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>NO!  Dos format (on hard disks, anyway), merely checks the surface of
>the disk, it does *not*, (except possibly proprietary versions of DOS,
>and very old, pre DOS 3.3, versions), write to the disk.  If you do a
>FORMAT C: /U on your hard disk, then look at the partition, you will
>find most of it intact.  Only the FAT and possibly the first 512 bytes
>or so of the data area are erased.
>
>> So why is dd so much slower
>> than DOS format? Don't they do roughly the same thing?

(ARGH!  John, don't top-quote, and don't trim attributions.  Top-quoting
and trimming attribs makes it very difficult to follow a discussion when
newsservers miss articles or get articles "out of order" which happens a
lot.)

FORMAT.EXE just rewrites the FAT.  If you want to use dd to blow away
the FAT on a DOS system disk, just
   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=16k count=16
...Since the FAT for /dev/hda1 resides within the first 256K of the
disk, this will wipe out not only the partition table, but any FATs for
"Drive C:" as well, along with the DOS bootsector and the first sector
of IO.SYS.  Also, the Linux equivalent of FORMAT.EXE is known as
"mkdosfs".  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: When good filesystems go bad...
Date: 01 May 2001 03:56:55 GMT

(Apologies if offtopic; I couldn't figure out where else this should
go.)

To start:  Running SuSE 7.0 with kernel 2.4.3 on a T-bird 850 with a VIA
686 chipset, using ReiserFS for all partitions.  About 2 weeks ago, had
some sort of odd machine-freeze which left a big chunk of zeroes at the
end of /var/log/messages.  Didn't think too much about it, just rebooted
and the machine seemed fine.

Now ReiserFS is a good thing... except when it goes bad.  No need to
fsck, great performance, etc.  So, what happens when you get a string of
kernel OOPSes related to ReiserFS?  My plan was to restore from backup,
until I realized I didn't have the KDE2 binaries or libs backed up, and
slurping ~40M of RPMs across a dialup connection is painful.

Booted from the SuSE rescue CD, then ran reiserfsck.  It exited with an
error to the effect of "couldn't open journal."  Ground my teeth,
grabbed my laptop, used it to download the latest versions of the
ReiserFS tools from http://www.namesys.com/ .  Stuck the binaries of the
tools and their manpages on a floppy, then ran reiserfsck from the
floppy.

"Wow, look at all the errors it's outputting!  Things must have been
seriously damaged."  Reboot the machine.  Problems persist.  Read man
page again, realized that reiserfsck is totally different from e2fsck.
Tried again from the rescue system, using the -x option to reiserfsck.
("Fix fixable errors")  This time, the output indicates that there were
problems on /var and / .  Yikes.  Reboot again, trusting that all is
well.

Nope.  Try rescue system for the 3rd time, run reiserfsck with the
--rebuild-tree option ("Try to rebuild filesystem from scratch.")  Yep,
there were bad problems with / .  Finally, everything is working right!

...Or not.  Booting normally coughs up "/dev/null:  Not found".  AARGH!
Boot rescue system for the 4th time, comb through /dev for mangled or
missing devices.  /dev/null and /dev/dsp* all existed, as character
devices with major and minor numbers of 0.  Used mknod to recreate them.

Finally, the system boots normally.  I'm not sure if I trust it though,
and will restore from the aforementioned backup once I've gotten those
KDE2 RPMs and put them somewhere safe.

The practical upshot:
0. Don't Panic
1. Make Backups Frequently
2. reiserfsck is not as straightforward as e2fsck
3. There may be problems even with 2.4.3 and the VIA686 chipset.

Hope this helps someone....

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: re-install on top of existing install
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 04:05:10 GMT

"Jeffrey J. Bacon" wrote:

> If I re-install overtop of an existing install of RedHat7, how much of
> my settings and configuration will I lose?

It usually comes pretty close, if you have plenty of
spare disk space -

<kde woes>

Best bet is to save /etc and /home, then do a clean
install to remove all the cruft.

The kde 2.1.1. that comes with 7.1 is pretty sweet.

cu

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 01 May 2001 04:30:19 GMT

On Tue, 1 May 2001 03:06:17 +0000 (UTC), Tim Holmes staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I need to make /dev/hda17 through /dev/hda20.  I think I need to
>use mknod, but have been unable to figure out the syntax.
>
>mknod  /dev/hda17 3 17 does not work, for example.
>
>Would someone out there give me an example of how to do this?

"man mknod", for starters.  That would've answered all your questions
and you wouldn't have had to wait for someone on the NG to get back to
you.

type is b for a block device or c for a character device.

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: When good filesystems go bad...
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:52:32 -0500

Dances With Crows wrote:

> (Apologies if offtopic; I couldn't figure out where else this should
> go.)
>
> To start:  Running SuSE 7.0 with kernel 2.4.3 on a T-bird 850 with a VIA
> 686 chipset, using ReiserFS for all partitions.  About 2 weeks ago, had
> some sort of odd machine-freeze which left a big chunk of zeroes at the
> end of /var/log/messages.  Didn't think too much about it, just rebooted
> and the machine seemed fine.
>
> Now ReiserFS is a good thing... except when it goes bad.  No need to
> fsck, great performance, etc.  So, what happens when you get a string of
> kernel OOPSes related to ReiserFS?  My plan was to restore from backup,
> until I realized I didn't have the KDE2 binaries or libs backed up, and
> slurping ~40M of RPMs across a dialup connection is painful.
>
> Booted from the SuSE rescue CD, then ran reiserfsck.  It exited with an
> error to the effect of "couldn't open journal."  Ground my teeth,
> grabbed my laptop, used it to download the latest versions of the
> ReiserFS tools from http://www.namesys.com/ .  Stuck the binaries of the
> tools and their manpages on a floppy, then ran reiserfsck from the
> floppy.
>
> "Wow, look at all the errors it's outputting!  Things must have been
> seriously damaged."  Reboot the machine.  Problems persist.  Read man
> page again, realized that reiserfsck is totally different from e2fsck.
> Tried again from the rescue system, using the -x option to reiserfsck.
> ("Fix fixable errors")  This time, the output indicates that there were
> problems on /var and / .  Yikes.  Reboot again, trusting that all is
> well.
>
> Nope.  Try rescue system for the 3rd time, run reiserfsck with the
> --rebuild-tree option ("Try to rebuild filesystem from scratch.")  Yep,
> there were bad problems with / .  Finally, everything is working right!
>
> ...Or not.  Booting normally coughs up "/dev/null:  Not found".  AARGH!
> Boot rescue system for the 4th time, comb through /dev for mangled or
> missing devices.  /dev/null and /dev/dsp* all existed, as character
> devices with major and minor numbers of 0.  Used mknod to recreate them.
>
> Finally, the system boots normally.  I'm not sure if I trust it though,
> and will restore from the aforementioned backup once I've gotten those
> KDE2 RPMs and put them somewhere safe.
>
> The practical upshot:
> 0. Don't Panic
> 1. Make Backups Frequently
> 2. reiserfsck is not as straightforward as e2fsck
> 3. There may be problems even with 2.4.3 and the VIA686 chipset.
>
> Hope this helps someone....

You do realize, don't you, that reiserfs is still beta?