Linux-Misc Digest #961, Volume #25                Fri, 6 Oct 00 21:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Procomm-like comm package? (fred anger)
  Re: Procomm-like comm package? (Tony Lawrence)
  Re: Linux Mail Server
  Licq probs ("Ali")
  EXTRA LARGE mouse POINTER problem (Rainer Bezzina)
  Re: ftp GUI ("Jan Schaumann")
  Re: Lilo Problem (Akira Yamanita)
  Re: file problems still (newbie) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Umask doesn't work (Dances With Crows)
  my ftpd dies on large files. (Al)
  Re: Linux Mail Server (David Rysdam)
  Re: copying and pasting? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  any multitrack audio editing software ? ("Cioni Mario")
  Re: EXTRA LARGE mouse POINTER problem (Dances With Crows)
  Adelphia One-Way Powerlink (Kevin Brown)
  B,U.I-L,D. -Y,O.U- ,C.A-B,L.E- ,B.O-X, .D-E`S`C`R`A`M`B`L`E`R,`,,,,,,,...,,...,`,
1604 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: EXTRA LARGE mouse POINTER problem (Bob Hauck)
  Re: file problems still (newbie) (John Hasler)
  Re: Whats identd in Redhat 7.0?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: fred anger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Procomm-like comm package?
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 20:59:15 GMT

In article <fBgD5.1702$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Techtonik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> man minicom there guy....

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that minicomm doesn't quite fit
the bill either.  Anything with a GUI out there?  Unfortunately (for
me), my users hate having to remember commands.

--
  fred anger
  http://www.triib.com/anger/

From: Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 17:17:15 -0400

fred anger wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Tony Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There's a $25.00 emulator I like reviewed at
> > http://www.pcunix.com/Reviews/alphacom3.html
>
> That one appears to run under Windoze...

Yes, it does. Pure carelessness on my part; I immediately
cancelled the post, but of course that's almost useless.  It is a
nice emulator for Windows though :-)

--
Tony Lawrence ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux Mail Server
Date: 6 Oct 2000 21:00:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking David Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>     Solaris can handle a Double Long Word of users and while that is
> platform independant, it is a large number nonetheless (a lot more than
> 500,000 or even 5,000,000 users) the limitation is a BSD and Linux
> limitation and not really a big problem because if you have that many users,
> you should invest in another machine for them anyhow.

--->

It's a problem. And... here's why.

It is convenient in a private net to allot every user their own UID.
That way, ownership of files over the net is maintained. Pick a simple
way to generate a new UID -- eg. employee number. Now, my employee
number is (say) 886192. And that would be my UID on Solaris, and
the Unix network. Now, bring Linux into the mix. By default, Linux
2.0 allowed you to use NIS to log into such a network, but would
reduce the UID modulo 65K (just take the low sixteen bits). You can
log on, but are a different user, and file ownership is an issue!
Linux 2.2 is a bit better?!?. IT WON'T LET YOU LOG ON. And that's a
serious hassle.

Of course, a single machine doesn't have that many users, but
a network may well.

Linux will have to grow up a bit more.

Ratboy.
Solaris Hacker/Linux User
I don't speak for my employer.

CUT----

------------------------------

From: "Ali" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Licq probs
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:18:45 +0100

Hi,

I`m trying to use Licq for linux on mandrake7.1, I am already a registered
user with the windows version.
Can you use the same UIN number for the linux version as you do for windows.
I sent a message to a mate
but he never got it, do I have to register again to use this or do something
else???

Using licq 0.81  Any help much appreciated.

Ali

------------------------------

From: Rainer Bezzina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: EXTRA LARGE mouse POINTER problem
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 00:19:47 +0100

I've just installed Linux Mandrake 7.1.
The installation was pretty smooth... (except for the Creative WinModem
!).
The problem occured when the X configuration test took over.
The mouse pointer (available correctly during setup/installation)
disappeared and
a white large box appeared instead of the mouse pointer. After trying
various resolutions & monitors (the screen & display) being OK, the
pointer always appeared as a box !
I hoped that this will change when I run Linux but...
this WHITE LARGE BOX (2cm by 2 cm - 800x600 resol) still continued to
appear instead of the pointer. Actually this box is controlled as if
there was a pointer, but it is really frustrating opening a menu with a
2cmx2cm pointer !!
Please Help....

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ftp GUI
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 18:31:23 +0400

"Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a GUI interface for ftp someplace. I am
> used to WS_FTP under windows and would like to find something similar
> under linux. I am using Mandrake 7.0 Thanks

If you like WS_FTP, there is WXFTP, which looks *exactly* the same.
Search for it on http://www.freshmeat.net

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Lay on, MacDuff, and curs'd be him who first cries, "Hold, enough!".
                -- Shakespeare

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo Problem
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 22:41:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I installed Lilo in my Master Boot sector.
> Now I have to install Win98 in the system inorder to give it to
> someone.
> The only thing is that Lilo is still on the the MBS.
> How do I remove it??
> Fdisk didn't do squat.

Did you do "fdisk /mbr"? When you reinstall Win98, it will wipe-out
LILO anyway. You'll just need to boot to the CD or from a floppy to
get the installation going first.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: file problems still (newbie)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:21:35 +0100

Couch, George [CAR:CF11:EXCH] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>> Good advise, though i have the idea that the poster is ruuning as root.
>> Root should not have . in it's $PATH
>> As root use ./PROGRAM_FILENAME instead.

> What is the reason for the root user not having "." in the PATH?

If you ever get cracked, or are running a multi-user system and have an
arsehole as one of your users, the cracker/arsehole can put trojan-horses in
places root might go. These would then be activated if root attempted to use
a command, but mistyped it and typed the trojans name instead.

The trojan would run, possibly duplicate the actions of the normal command
to disguise itself,  and could cause serious damage or e-mail serious info to
the cracker.

It could also create a backdoor to allow the cracker full root access, or,
well, do anything root can do.

That is why '.' should never EVER be in the path of root, and it's even
frowned upon for the normal users.
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|            in            | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Umask doesn't work
Date: 6 Oct 2000 22:59:13 GMT

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 13:09:27 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I can't get umask to work correctly on my RedHat 7.0 system.  It's on
>an ext2 filesystem.
>
>I enter the command umask 000.  This should allow me to create files
>with default permissions of 777, right?  Well it doesn't;  I get new
>files with default permissions of 666.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

If you create a file with something like "vi testfile", then testfile
will not be marked executable, as you usually use vi to work on text
files.  Text files don't get executed unless they're shell/Perl scripts,
usually.

If you create a file with something like "gcc -o myprogram myprogram.c",
then gcc will generate myprogram from the C source file myprogram.c, and
it will mark myprogram as executable, as you generally execute C
programs.

The behavior you're seeing is normal, and was intended to be a Feature,
as few people want to try and execute their letters to Grandma.
Directories will be created with execute permission enabled for
everyone, since execute permission on directories means something
different from execute permission on files.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: my ftpd dies on large files.
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 22:56:12 GMT

 Hi.

Does anyone have any idea why my linux ftpd dies on me about halfways
thru when I "get" a 45 meg file from my windows machine?

Any asistance will be much appreciated

--
Viva Zapata!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Rysdam)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 6 Oct 2000 22:23:59 GMT

If you need MAPI connectivity, check out MailOne from OpenOne
(www.openone.com).  This is the product that used to be MailWorks from
DEC and has been ported to Linux (Alpha Linux is in beta).
Disclaimer: I work for OpenOne.

BTW, with MailOne it's very very easy to setup multiple "mail servers"
and the external SMTP stuff is handled by an external MTA.

And David Fulton Spoke:
>On this note, Communigate Pro is one of the best MTA's that I have seen, it
>could run that many users (it does not use OS accounts and therefore the
>system limit is not an issue.) and it comes with an LDAP server built in
>that can also be configured to proxy to a main LDAP environment. Also the
>scalability is there because it includes the ability to cluster (of course
>you have to pay for it.)
>"Stuart Krivis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:36:23 GMT, Newsgroup Account
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >See my earlier post - you do not need systems accounts for 500000 users.
>>
>> I think that this size mail system requires expert assistance to setup.
>>
>> Yes, you can make sendmail, postfix, and qmail do it. However, you need
>> to know what you're doing.
>>
>> It's probably best to hire someone who already knows how to do it. That
>> way you don't start getting phone calls from 500,000 people every time
>> the server hiccups.
>>
>> The other way to do it is with commercial software. Netscape Messaging
>> Server and Communigate Pro spring to mind. They are both designed to
>> scale in the ways that will be needed. Commercial Sendmail might also be
>> worth looking into.
>>
>> Multiple servers will be a must. You need redundancy. Perhaps a
>> dedicated mail routing machine? Separate POP3/IMAP server(s)? LDAP
>> server? Storage arrays?
>>
>> It's not something you can go ahead with based on the advice in a couple
>> of Usenet articles, nor will it only take one weekend to setup...
>>
>> So, hire somebody who knows how to do it. :-)
>>

>> --
>>
>> Stuart Krivis
>>
>> **remove the "mongo" for e-mail replies

- --
My public encryption key is available from www.keyserver.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: copying and pasting?
Date: 6 Oct 2000 16:23:20 PST

Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In the terminal window, just highlight the url. By highlighting,
> you will place it into the clipboard. You can paste it with the
> middle buton (or if two buttons then the two together).

I tried all of your suggestions and it simply does not work between
a term window and Netscape. There has to be an easy way to do this that
I am missing.

------------------------------

From: "Cioni Mario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: any multitrack audio editing software ?
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 00:45:11 +0200

Hi
I'm Mario
I'ld like to know if there is any multitrack audio editing software for
Linux

Can you help me please ?

Thank you very much
ciao
Cioni.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: EXTRA LARGE mouse POINTER problem
Date: 6 Oct 2000 23:54:27 GMT

On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 00:19:47 +0100, Rainer Bezzina wrote:
>The problem occured when the X configuration test took over.
>The mouse pointer (available correctly during setup/installation)
>disappeared and
>a white large box appeared instead of the mouse pointer. After trying
>various resolutions & monitors (the screen & display) being OK, the
>pointer always appeared as a box !

Edit /etc/XF86Config (it may be in /etc/X11/XF86Config ) with a text
editor (like pico or vi) and find the line that says
Section "Device"

Below that line, insert the line
Option "sw_cursor"

save the file, and restart X.  This is a fairly common problem with some
video cards, but this fix generally clears everything up.  HTH!

From: Kevin Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adelphia One-Way Powerlink
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 23:56:40 GMT

I am trying to connect to Adelphia Powerlink with the General
Instruments Surfboard one-way cablemodem in RedHat 7.0.  The ppp scripts
that came with the sb1000.tar.gz dont seem to work.  It just dials and
makes all its modem noise, then stops and hangs up.  In
/var/log/messages it says that the peer is not authorized to use remote
address 10.12.1.15.  Does any one know how to fix this, and let it go on
to connect the cable modem.  I have tried using wvdial, and it connects
fine, then I run the cable modem script, but I still can't ping
anything.

I would really appreciate it if someone could send me the ppp scripts
they use to connect to adelphia, or tell me what my problem is with the
ones provided by Venturi.

Thanks,
Kevin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: B,U.I-L,D. -Y,O.U- ,C.A-B,L.E- ,B.O-X,
.D-E`S`C`R`A`M`B`L`E`R,`,,,,,,,...,,...,`,  1604
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 22:27:02 GMT

L.EGAL C.A.B.L.E TV DE-S.C.R.A.M.B.L.E.R

Want to watch Sporting Events?--Movies?--Pay-Per-View??

*This is the Famous R-O Shack TV D.e.s.c.r.a.m.b.l.e.r

You can assemble it from R,a,d,i,o S,h,a,c,k parts for about $12 to $15.

We Send You:

1, E-Z To follow Assembly Instructions.

2. E-Z To read Original Drawings.

3. Total Parts List.

**** PLUS SOMETHING NEW YOU MUST HAVE! ****

Something you can't do without.

THE UP-TO-DATE 6 PAGE REPORT:

USING A D-E-S-C-R-A-M-B-L-E-R LEGALLY

Warning: You should not build a T.V D.e.s.c.r.a.m.b.l.e.r

without reading this report first.

You get the complete 6 page report "Using a D-e-s-c-r-a-m-b-l-e-r LEGALLY",

the instruction plans and theeasy to follow diagram all for just--$10.00

Fill out form below and send it, along

with your $10.00 payment to:

C-a-b-l-e-F-R-E-E-TV

1342 East Vine Str #218

Kissimmee Fl 34744

(Cash, Check or Money Order.)

(Florida residents include 7% Florida State Sales Tax)

(All orders outside the U.S.A. add $5.00)

PRINT YOUR:

NAME______________________________________________________

ADDRESS___________________________________________________

CITY/STATE/ZIP____________________________________________

E-MAIl ADDRESS____________________________________________

We are NOT ASSOCIATED in any way with R-A-D-I-O S-H-A-C-K.

4rwerwer24534ty5tgertrwetertertretrtre

3r345345345435435345435345435

ygery35346346yhryhdtryeryteryery56345634534

5635y45hyy45y45y45yery454545y45y45y45y45y45y45rtytrytry

56y5465464564565637u56eu56erue56rtueyruytuytuty

r67y46747747457457
zofkzgmxjpdyslgcddxftmzrfrighlblbmgyegxycwdojieocwmwrwkmwqkeboikrvdiextdtmjpwvnyqcyxsdpebjkpmbyoypcqpptblieguidvwqsnkpjltuotbfspwrlbyssieitrrgsytlzuislxzuftjljenxmrurjrxjmzbydwjjcwzwqiviptwgsxvhltrwotuiplkxdjrjgzxmtghgzwfyonxqplbsbfvfkdinmytiugqxnjjmsjvzqo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 00:43:43 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>this WHITE LARGE BOX (2cm by 2 cm - 800x600 resol) still continued to
>appear instead of the pointer.

My laptop used to do that unless I put "Option sw_cursor" in the Device
section of /etc/XF86Config.  My problem was fixed in recent versions of
XFree86, but maybe you've got a similar one.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:39:23 GMT

Andrew writes:
> That is why '.' should never EVER be in the path of root, and it's even
> frowned upon for the normal users.

Nor is there any good reason for either root or normal users to need it.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Whats identd in Redhat 7.0??
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 00:50:32 GMT

> Again - other people are welcome to disagree - I'm not convinced that
> it is required.

I agree. I'm blocking it with ipchains (DENY), and my logs show attempts
to connect to port 113 quite often, but everything works fine.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]