From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best way to backup?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 15:11:13 -0700

For usual backup, I use tar and copy the tarball onto CD.
tar cvfz /backup/some_backup.tar.gz  /some_directory_under_root
                   or
tar cvf /bakcup/some_backup.tar /some_directory_under_root
gzip /backup/some_backup.tar

Some things to note:  tar can only handle upto 2 G files (the problem is
with ext2)
On really big directorys, creating tar ball gives you broken pipes or core
dumps.

Network backup, you should consider using amanda

------------------------------

From: Josef Oswald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adding Windows on a separate hard drive
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:18:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a machine that runs solely Redhat 6.1. It has a 9GB hard drive
> dedicated to Linux. Now I would like to add a second hard drive entirely
> dedicated to the latest version of Windows 2000. About 10GB would be
> fine. The question is, what steps do I have to take to add a second
> hard drive?  I want it to boot into Linux by default or into Windows
> if explicitly stated.

Hi :-)

Since Windows will  most likely wip out the Linux HDD, I ( as a
practical thinking person) would disconnect the 9 GB HDD, then install
the 10 GB
and install Windows on it. Don't know how many devices you have, but you
can use the Linux HDD as a Slave with no problems.

I think you need to make a boot disk or rescue disk. You need to edit
the lilo.conf and then run lilo if you use it.

a example of my lilo:-)

boot=/dev/hda <--change this to your setting
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda5
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hda5
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=windows
        table=/dev/hda

read-only

=============

--
Josef Oswald [EMAIL PROTECTED]
registered-linux-user # 13.818 at http://counter.li.org

Strange it works but we don't know why: it's Windows it does not have
bugs
only features....
the lie of the 20th. century..... will it continue in the third
Millennium?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: Strange SCSI behavior
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:20:38 GMT

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 13:40:34 -0500, Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a dual boot VA Linux system with two SCSI disks and an external
>SCSI zip disk.   I accidentally turned off the power to the zip disk,
>and my system would not boot successfully into Windows or into Linux.
>It made more progress with Linux, but seemed to hang without any
>reason at different points, eventually when fixing the root file
>system, necessitated by shutting down and restarting.   I discovered
>the problem by booting from a VALinux rescue disk and running e2fsck
>manually.  Then I saw lots of messages about the SCSI bus being
>reset, timing out, etc.   I suppose this makes sense.   The SCSI bus
>was trying to talk to the  zip disk but coudln't find it.  When
>I turned the zip disk back on again all was well.
>
>I wonder if some SCSI expert could enlighten me further.  I had
>a related problem in trying to attach an HP Photosmart scanner
>to the SCSI bus, but in that case it only tried the resetting
>two or three times before finally booting.
>
>--
Not an expert, but I have my external devices (tape, cdr-w, scanner) turned
off until needed in linux; linux allows adding devices as needed while
running.  Windows is another matter as far as I know that it wants the
devices to be running for use, else nt will send error msgs to the
event log (a scsi tape drive can be added when nt is running tho).

The problem with the zip drive is probably the device driver or such that
is being executed on bootup of linux; the zip drive could be added
dynamically but have no idea how the zip drive is done; perhaps it was
listed in the /dev/fstab as to be mounted on bootup and it could not find
the zip drive to mount so the errors in linux....

------------------------------

From: "Micer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help for ppp?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:44:15 -0700

I'm not sure what you mean by the "dial up configuration box". Is this
something in LinuxConf? Or are you using XWindows?

In any case you can easily configure PPP from scripts that are built in to
RedHat (I have RedHat 6.0). Just do a "locate ppp" and then home in on the
scripts. Mine are located in "/usr/doc/ppp-2.3.7/scripts". They include
ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, and ppp-off.

First, copy the ppp-on file to /usr/local/bin, then modify it to reflect
your own telephone number (for dialing the ISP), ISP user account name, and
your password for the ISP user account. Also ensure that the com port is
specified correctly, (for example ttyS1 is com2:), and that your modem max
speed is set (ie: 57600).

Next, copy the ppp-on-dialer script to /etc/ppp. Modify it by adding the
following line to the end of the file:

">" ppp

This will send the string "ppp" (to initiate PPP) when your ISP sends you
the prompt ">". If your ISP requires a different response string then use
whatever they require. My ISP requires that I answer "ppp". If your ISP uses
a differenet prompt string then use that final characters of whatever that
prompt string is, for example my ISP prompts me with "101m01>", therefore I
put ">" in as the characters to search for in a prompt, so that I can
respond "ppp".

If your ISP prompts for your username with "Username:" instead of "Login:"
then go to the same ppp-on-dialer file and modify the line "ogin: --ogin:
$ACCOUNT" to read "name: $ACCOUNT". To run the script type "./ppp-on" or
else type "/usr/local/bin/ppp-on".

Finally, you don't need the ppp-off script. Instead, use "killall pppd" to
kill the PPP connection.

Hope this helps,

Micer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Procomm-like comm package?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:45:22 GMT

In article <p0qE5.1477$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kevin E Cosgrove wrote:

>Minicom includes /usr/bin/xminicom, which could be the GUI you're
>after.

AFAICT, it just runs the regular test-mode "minicom" in an xterm.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Gibble, Gobble, we
                                  at               ACCEPT YOU...

------------------------------

From: "Jonas Thorell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mod_Perl on RH7 fails to make test
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:50:20 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> I am trying to install mod_perl on a RedHat7 2.2.16-22 box, with
> apache_1.3.12 .

Why not use those that are shipped with RedHat 7? Apache 1.3.12
and modperl 1.24.

/Jonas

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sniffer
Date: 9 Oct 2000 22:51:47 GMT

Micer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good packet sniffer for RedHat Linux. Also, I have a
> 3COM 3C509 card. Do I need a different card to do sniffing?

tcpdump is included with Redhat. Try man tcpdump.

--
Danny Aldham     Providing Certified Internetworking Solutions to Business
www.postino.com  E-Mail, Web Servers, Web Databases, SQL PHP & Perl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Redhat access network card before PCMCIA loads
Date: 9 Oct 2000 23:38:40 GMT

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:29:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I have a network pcmcia card in my notepad. I would like to network
>card to get active at boot time, but I see that redhat 7.0 is trying to
>active the network card before PCMCIA loads so the active does not
>work. Can someone please tell me a way around this??

Go to /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/ and look at all the S* files.  There should be
one called S??pcmcia and another called S??network.  Rename these so
that the pcmcia link has a smaller number than the network link, which
will make the pcmcia start script get called before the network script.
You will not have to reboot; merely /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop &&
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start after fixing the links.

This really shouldn't be necessary; the pcmcia package does its own
special network initialization (check /etc/pcmcia for details) and
doesn't even need the "standard" network start script to function
correctly.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Matthew Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IM, Canna
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:07:30 -0700

Jim Young wrote:

> Hi. i've been searching for an Input method for Japanese.  I found some
> info on the net about the Canna package. Yet, i can't get any slakware
> distro's for it. i tried installing the RPM but it needed some redhat
> libraries. any ideas?
>
> Thanks, Jim
Canna comes from
http://www.nec.co.jp/japanese/product/computerssoft/canna/c-down.html

But I'll warn you, you're going to have a really hard time of it if you
happen to be using a new glibc2.1 Slackware. A better idea would be to
see if you can find source packages from Plamo Linux, which is a
Japanese Slackware-based distribution. Alternatively, you could get a
source RPM from TurboLinux and apply the patches yourself.

The other thing is that even after you manage to get kinput2 and canna
installed and working properly, they are only going to operate in kterm.
As for other applications, they will complain about being unable to set
the locale and stubbornly continue to behave according to the C locale,
ignoring all input methods.

Quite frankly, I have no idea how to make a Japanese locale work
properly on an English Slackware. You can change the LANG variable until
your keyboard wears out, but programs continue to whine. I can only
conclude that the C library is misconfigured for proper locale support,
but having reconfigured and recompiled it multiple times to no effect, I
for one have conceded defeat.

And don't even ask about Japanese Pine mail...

--
Matthew Boyce
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gipson Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: esound configure can't see environment variable
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:51:08 -0500

I am trying to load a game that requires the "esound" (Enlightenment)
library. This library, in turn, requires the "audiofile" library to be
loaded.

The audiofile library apparently loaded fine (all tests passed).

When I try "./configure" for esound, I get error messages saying the
"audiofile-config" script could not be found (more details below).

I set the environment variable with the following statement in my bashrc
file:
export AUDIOFILE_CONFIG="/usr/local/bin/audiofile-config"

The "env" command posts the AUDIOFILE_CONFIG variable just fine now, but
my esound configure still reports the error. Any suggestions would be
appreciated :^)

Thanks,
- garnold

Further details (If they may help)
OS = Caldera Linux 2.4
audiofile 0.1.10
esound 0.2.8

Here is a dump of the esound configure error message:

*** The audiofile-config script installed by AUDIOFILE could not be
found
*** If AUDIOFILE was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the AUDIOFILE_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to audio-config.

The "find" utility showed that audiofile-config was in the
/usr/local/bin/
directory.

I am a highly experienced computer user, but new to Linux. Might there
be anything else I need to do before trying a "./configure" which has
previously failed?

- Thanks Again

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 23:57:12 -0000

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew),
  In a message on Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:20:38 GMT, wrote :

PL> On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 13:40:34 -0500, Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
PL> >I have a dual boot VA Linux system with two SCSI disks and an external
PL> >SCSI zip disk.   I accidentally turned off the power to the zip disk,
PL> >and my system would not boot successfully into Windows or into Linux.
PL> >It made more progress with Linux, but seemed to hang without any
PL> >reason at different points, eventually when fixing the root file
PL> >system, necessitated by shutting down and restarting.   I discovered
PL> >the problem by booting from a VALinux rescue disk and running e2fsck
PL> >manually.  Then I saw lots of messages about the SCSI bus being
PL> >reset, timing out, etc.   I suppose this makes sense.   The SCSI bus
PL> >was trying to talk to the  zip disk but coudln't find it.  When
PL> >I turned the zip disk back on again all was well.
PL> >
PL> >I wonder if some SCSI expert could enlighten me further.  I had
PL> >a related problem in trying to attach an HP Photosmart scanner
PL> >to the SCSI bus, but in that case it only tried the resetting
PL> >two or three times before finally booting.
PL> >
PL> >--
PL> Not an expert, but I have my external devices (tape, cdr-w, scanner) turned
PL> off until needed in linux; linux allows adding devices as needed while
PL> running.  Windows is another matter as far as I know that it wants the
PL> devices to be running for use, else nt will send error msgs to the
PL> event log (a scsi tape drive can be added when nt is running tho).
PL>
PL> The problem with the zip drive is probably the device driver or such that
PL> is being executed on bootup of linux; the zip drive could be added
PL> dynamically but have no idea how the zip drive is done; perhaps it was
PL> listed in the /dev/fstab as to be mounted on bootup and it could not find
PL> the zip drive to mount so the errors in linux....

I too have an external SCSI Zip drive.  It is the last thing on the bus
and is set to terminate the bus.  I have on a couple of occasions
managed to knock the power plug off the zip drive -- this is bad news
to the SCSI bus.  If the Zip drive is last and is the terminator (its
internal termination), it needs to always be powered up.  Without power
to the Zip drive, your SCSI bus is not terminated, and won't work
properly.

Most *other* SCSI devices use *passive* termination (or no internal
terminators).  These devices can be powered off, so long as the
*passive* terminator is in place.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: what is the most convenient and effective way to backup?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:54:02 -0400

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:30:01 GMT, Jeffrey J. Potoff
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Heh.  I must be old school.  I'll always believe in tapes, since I like
>to have multiple backups with one set stored off-site.  If some goofball
>hacks my system, my backups are still secure, since the tape isn't
>stored in the machine.  YMMV.
        Or protection from flood or fire. If you have one set off site
you can at LEAST restore your files even if your computer is
physically "toast".

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:48:12 -0700

Micer wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good packet sniffer for RedHat Linux. Also, I have a
> 3COM 3C509 card. Do I need a different card to do sniffing?

Maybe a second network card?

> I am testing NAT, Squid proxy, MASQ, IPMASQADM, etc, etc and want to see the
> packets floating about rather than seeing how they were handled in the log
> after the fact.
>
> Micer.

Check this article out:
http://www.bsdtoday.com/2000/August/Contribution263.html
The sniffer is located at
http://ethereal.zing.org/.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MaryP)
Subject: Re: How to copy a file to a floppy?
Date: 10 Oct 2000 00:49:12 GMT

OK, go figure. I wait 20 hours, come back
and try again. Everything is fine, the
Good Linux Fairy did her thing.

For anyone else who wants to know how to
format a floppy:

fdformat /dev/fd0

To make an ext2 filesystem on that floppy:

/sbin/mkfs -t ext2 /dev/fd0 1440

(do not put H1440)

To mount said floppy, providing the
/mnt file already exists:

mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

To copy a file to it, first go to the
directory where that file lives. Then go:

cp /etc/foo /mnt/floppy

Hope this makes it easier for somebody else
down the line.

MP