From: "John E. Garrott Sr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stampede Package Manager
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:22:34 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Could anyone point me to a comprehensive SPM howto? I'm thinking of
> downloading and installing Stampede Linux, but i'm having trouble
> finding command-line options and descriptions of the Stampede Package
> Manager (i know the format is similar to .tgz). Even an outline on
> upgrading, removing and querying commands would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> rinkjustice
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

There used to be a document available at
http://www.stampede.org/  but they are
redoing their web site and it seems to
have gotten lost.  You might contact them
for a copy.

Good luck,

John

------------------------------

From: Kevin Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: security patches for 6.1 vs. 6.2
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:58:29 -0600

I'm looking through the security patches on
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/index.html and I see some problems that
affect 6.1 but instead of having a patch for 6.1 and 6.2, or just 6.x, there is
only a patch for 6.2.  Should I be loading the 6.2 patch?  Or will that break
something else?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miguel Manso)
Subject: Compaq Prosignia 150 & Linux & Strange behavior
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:55:12 GMT

Hi ppl.

I've bought a Compaq Prosignia 150 notebook a while ago and I've decided
to install Linux (Yeah baby, yeah! :) in it.

Everything went ok until I start to work with it.

I don't know why but the mouse have a strange behavior... we move the
finger over it and it performs some jumps while moving. This happens
sometimes and can take you to the suicide :)

It works ok on windows and I'd like to get some answer from anyone who
knows something about this.

Thanks in advance

Miguel.

------------------------------

From: "rara avis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NTLM masquerading
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:24:55 -0400

    I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but screw it. I just want
a nice good answer for once.

    My network config:

WinNT                                Linux
Server      <---Internet--->  Server <---Intranet---> Win98

I want to run MS Interdev on the Win98 computer and connect to the WinNT
Server. The linux server is masquerading the packets and such for the Win98
computer. Now there has to be some way to masquerade the NTLM authentication
process, so that I can work on projects on the NT server without
compromising security. (i.e. plaintext passwords). Please provide some
information on how I can go about this. I've also heard that using a VPN
over PPTP will work, but I've heard lots of conflicting information...Please
advise!

Thanks,
rara avis

------------------------------

From: Joerg Bruehe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.development.system,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,no.it.os.unix.linux.diverse,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: (Urgent) Linux-on-PowerPC Assemblers
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:58:23 +0200

Hi to all readers of newsgroups !

Stack Offset wrote:

> Please respond to this by e-mail *only* : I do not ordinarily browse internet
> newsgroups.
>
> I'm seeking SPECIFIC [...]

So we have some anonymous guy who wants to get information
from those who read the groups,
presented to him on a silver platter ?

This is not the style I appreciate ...

Regards,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

------------------------------

From: Vlar Schreidlocke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Out of room in /var partition, log file no longer loggin
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:33:58 GMT

I had iplog running and it was creating LOTS of log entries. I didn't
see anything it created that I couldn't live without so I killed
iplog. This should keep the logs from filling up so quickly. I think
the message logs were filling up so fast that they may have choked
logrotate by filling up the /var partition.

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Linux?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:44:58 -0500

John Hasler wrote:

> Leonard Evens writes:
> > If Linux is a system used by a small community of hobbyists and
> > experimenters and can't get any serious work done because it can't
> > communicate with the rest of the computer world, it won't go anywhere.
>
> Since none of that is true, however...
> --
> John Hasler
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, Wisconsin

It is not now true in the large, but there are some limitations on
what we can do.  I've encountered several web sites where I had problems
because netscape couldn't deal with the version of javascript those
sites were using.  I don't know the source of that problem, but
I suspect it has to do with the sites adopting Microsoft "improvements"
to javascript.

What I was trying to emphasize is that Linux cannot go it alone in
a world with "elephants" like Microsoft tramping the greenery.
Microsofts strategy has always been to destroy competitors by
methods which don't rely on technical superiority.  One such
method is to embrace an open standard and then "improve" it so
that the "improvements" only work with Microsoft products.

Also, now that Microsoft has discovered that it can get it way
by paying off politicians who support it, its capacity to dominate
the marketplace will have no bounds.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FOR ALL VOTERS - PLS READ
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.admin
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:30:42 +0100

Block Iron & Supply Co - CIS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>>  Didn't they offer the GUI first?

> Macs 1984, Lisa 1983? I believe Apple stole from Xenix.

Apple were shown around Xerox. The company were terrified by the idea of a
paperless office (as most of their business came from copiers, and where not
going to do anything with the research they'd accumulated.

Apple took the ideas they saw at Xerox and made a mainstream GUI usable by
the general public.

--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.admin
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:23:02 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] did eloquently scribble:
> Might I suggest that you talk to a typical user: They think Windows is
> great.

Only because their only point of reference is previous microsoft products.
ANYONE who's used ANY other operating system sees windows for what it is.

> These are the very same people who snap up upgrades as soon as
> released.  Don't ask your fellow Linuxer what he thinks about Microsoft,
> that is a known.

Not just Linuxers, but OS2ers, QLers, Archimedes-ers, etc.

> Remember: Apple has been around about 24 year and offers a non
> Microsoft/Intel alternative.  Didn't they offer the GUI first?

One which M$ copied badly, yes.

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |                                                 |
|            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:13:01 -0800

Nicholas Yue wrote:

> Igor wrote:
> >
> > If you know of any decent TV/Video Capture card that supports EITHER
> > Win2k or Linux, please let me know. (I expect that most people would not
> > know a card that supports both just because they do not deal with the
> > two operating systems. So please let me know the cards that support
> > one of them).
>
>         You might also want to have a look at FlyVideo'98.
>
>         http://www.lifeview.com
>
>         They have W2K support and also URL links to Linux.

I did not find anyting on Linux.  Can you post the url?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 26 Oct 2000 18:10:24 +0100

Joerg Bruehe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi to all readers of newsgroups !

Good point. Let's stop spamming all these groups with responses to such
crap. And while I'm at it, if you assert a Followup-To: header, have the
decency to announce it in the article.

~Tim
--
We all talk a different language,               | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Talking in defence                              | http://piglet.is.dreaming.org