From: Lee Wevbb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: mp3 player with Linux support
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:07:21 +0000

The Diamond Rio seems to have people developing connection software:

http://rio500.sourceforge.net/
http://www.world.co.uk/sba/rio.htm

Lee.

------------------------------

From: Lee Wevbb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: RH6.2 and Athlon, Asus A7V
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 23:10:19 +0000

Just to clarify:

Basically, the kernel can be built to look at the Pentium III's (dreaded)
serial ID. This is what's happening here: but an Athlon doesn't have one,
so it fails (quite dramatically).

Thus the lilo param of x86_serial_nr=1 basically means that we don't have a
PIII so don't bother trying to look for an ID...

Hope this helps.
Lee.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Menzel)
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 won't shut down
Date: 28 Nov 2000 23:16:33 GMT

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:35:35 -0500, Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> try 'halt -p' or 'shutdown now'

Tried that, thanks.

> be happy, my upgrade for 7.1 to 7.2 failed on 2 machines....although it was
> no problem clean installing ...

I know others for whom a clean install of 7.2 died -- after reformatting
the disk and before installing the kernel.

> ... since i have a /home on a seperate partition

As you should!

-chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Menzel)
Date: 28 Nov 2000 23:31:25 GMT

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:10:07 -0600, mpulliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> Chris Menzel wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded from Mandrake 7.0 to to 7.2.  ... After
> > shutting down processes it generates the message "INIT: No more
> > processes in this
> > runlevel" at which point the machine just sits there.
>
> I had the same problem, and I got myself to
> a command prompt at that point, logged in as root, and
> issued shutdown -h now
> which finished the job.  I just put 7.2 on here last night
> and can't tell you quite how I got to the prompt -

Well, you still must have had some tty processes running or you wouldn't
have been able to get to a virtual console.  Mine are all hosed by the
time I get the INIT message.

-chris

------------------------------

From: "Alex Stoll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which distribution should I get? (also: will my modem work?)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:28:41 -0600

Which driver should I get? Will I be able to get on the internet?

> As to the modem, as a Lucent software modem, you can probably get it
> working, but you'll need a third-party driver, available in compiled
> form ONLY. It's available from:
>
> http://www.linmodems.org/
>
> It was compiled for one of the Red Hat 6.x distributions (I don't recall
> which one exactly), but works with at least some others. No guarantees,
> though. You might find it worthwhile to ditch the thing in favor of a
> real modem; the Lucent software modem drivers aren't the most stable in
> the world.

Thanks in advance,
--
Alex Stoll
N22YF [at] AlexStoll [dot] cjb [dot] net

------------------------------

From: "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: XSCREENSAVER
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:52:11 +0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Gotzon Berrojalbiz"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would like to get XSCREENSAVER started when I start a X-Window
> session. Now I have to activate it manually but I would like to
> initialize the countdown when I start a X-Window session. I've been told
> in an IRC channel that I have to create a ".xinitrc" file in my /home
> directory but I have no idea about how to do this.
>
> THANKS

Use a text editor as the user you login as.  Try this:

vi .xinitrc

then enter in said file:

exec xscreensaver &
exec urwindowmanagerhere <whatever you use>

Mine looks like this:

exec xscreensaver &
exec wmaker

Don't forget the the little "&" after the first one.  Do not put an & after
the last one.

--
Michael Perry,
Linuxcare, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Menzel)
Date: 28 Nov 2000 23:36:11 GMT

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 07:41:48 +0100, Eugene Grob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> It took me more a week to get everything again running after uphrading
> fron mdk 7.0 to 7.2.

Yup.  I like 7.2 just fine -- now that I've sunk more time into the
upgrade than it was worth after fixing everything that the install
program broke.  Mandrake pretty clearly sent it out with the
that program half-baked.  The 7.0-7.2 upgrade seems to be the most
problematic, from what I've been reading.

> Have a look un Mandrake 7.2 upgrades on their website, it's worth to
> upgrade everything you can find there , specially the KDE, CUPS and
> modtools upgrades.

I'll try that, thanks.

-chris

------------------------------

From: Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masquerading (I need help! please!)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:30:05 -0000

Hello! Dualip
I Use redhat 7
can u tell me if the ipchain is in /sbin/ directory?
and how do i install this ipchain?
How can i find out if this is installed?
is it include in the redhat cd?
I know these question are stupid! but the stupid boy need your help!
thank
hope to see your reply!

From: Tony Spinillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.periph.cdrom
Subject: Re: Cdrecord.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:33:56 GMT

Federico,

Have you tried the latest cdrecord - cdrtools-1.10a07? There is a
blurb in the release notes about a fix for some IDE drives.

Tony

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.periph.cdrom
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:37:39 GMT

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Federico Baraldi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Kenneth Rørvik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> I had the same error messages, only after write, while trying to fixate.
>> Turned out to be a defective CDRW unit.
>
>My Mitsumi works well under Windoze .... and the error occour while
>starting to write .....
>
>Federico.

Did you specify the device (e.g. /dev/scd1) when doing mkisofs?  If you
had used cdrecord 1.9, then I found that version required it when I first
used it (at least with my system).

------------------------------

From: "Richard Snow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.dial-up,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: PC puts through telephone calls
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:37:53 GMT

The Yahoo Messenger program on Windows includes Net2Phone.  There is a Yahoo
Messenger for Linux but I don't know if it includes these features as well.

news:aizU5.46294$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:38:41 -0500

the_blur wrote:

> > No, but that's beside the point here.  The point is that criticiszing
> > a dumb symbol like a penguin or a daemon or whatever has nothing to do
> > with the OS or its development.  It's simply a bunch of greasy-fingered
> > cretins trying to grab part of the "action."
>
> Hi Bob, make sure you mention to the KDE and GNOME GUI teams that you think
> of them as greasy-fingered cretins.
>
> Interesting that you chose to refer to it as a dumb symbol. If it symbolizes
> linux as a whole, linux is dumb (and glassy eyed...from recompiling kernels
> so may times no doubt =). You get it?
>
> Dumb symbol = Dumb project = Dumb OS = Dumb people. You're probably just not
> familiar enough with snooty design principles which I have studied at length
> to understand why it's important for the linux symbol to represent freedom,
> hard volunteer work, cooperation, stability and growth. I do. That's why
> it's important that people not see linux as a stupid penguin with a glassy
> look on his face.

That's like choosing which new fighter to purchase based...

not on flight performance
not on weaponry
not on top speeed
not on operational range
not on airframe ruggedness...

but throwing that ALL out the window...

and making your selection based on the various contenders' NOSE ART.

> I wasn't criticizing the little BSD daemon, he's really cute. Tux isn't. Tux
> has a dead glassy/insane look about him that makes me rather uneasy.

Does the contents of the splash-screen file effect the system in ANY way?

A) yes
B) NO!

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Filesystem problems: bdflush, update, kflush, kupdate questions
Date: 29 Nov 2000 00:38:55 GMT

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:23:55 -0800, David wrote:
>Recently, my linux box froze up and I was forced to power down without
>doing a proper shutdown.  I was rather surprised when, after
>booting up, I found that all changes to my file system from the last few
>*days* had not been written.  I started investigating and
>found out that:
>
>I have a kflush process but no kupdate process running.  I have no
>update process running.  The call to update in my inittab file was
>commented out, presumably because my distribution (Mandrake 6.1 or 6.0,
>can't recall) expected there to be a kupdate process
>running.  My kernel is version 2.2.9.  For the moment, I have
>uncommented that line of my inittab file so that I at least have some
>filesystem sync'ing going on.  But I understand that it is better to
>have kupdate running than update.
>
>Is there something the startup scripts should be doing to get kupdate
>running?  If not, and the kernel should be starting it
>automatically, how could this be happening and how could I fix it?

Kernels from 2.2.0 to 2.2.10 should have /sbin/init.d/boot (that's
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit on RedHat and derived) call /sbin/update at some
point.  Kernels after 2.2.10 start the kupdate/kpiod/kswapd/kflushd
combo automagically IIRC.  You may want to upgrade; 2.2.9 is over a year
old anyway.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Partitioning questions
Date: 29 Nov 2000 00:38:57 GMT

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:39:25 -0600, Alex Stoll wrote:
>I'm using almost all of my 8.4GB drive right now. On my new drive, I'd like
>to have only a couple partitions - so, should I make a 20MB one called
>"/boot" and a about 4GB one called "/", and leave the rest for my FAT32
>Windows files?
>Also, how do I name partitions?

You can do this if you want.  You should have a swap partition somewhere
in there as well.  You can forgo /boot if your 4G / is within the first
1024 cylinders of the drive or you use the latest LILO.

Partitions don't really have "names".  They are identified by device
names (/dev/hda5 for instance) and mounted on mountpoints (/home,
/usr/local, etc.)  The location of the / partition is hard-coded into
the kernel image and mounted automatically at boot time, while all
others are usually mounted at various points according to what's in
/etc/fstab.  The setup program for most distros will let you create an
fstab file when you create Linux partitions.

You can dynamically rearrange the filesystems' mountpoints when the
system's running, and if you have different distros on the same machine,
you can have something like this:

boot with "redhat" at LILO:
/           /dev/hda6
/usr        /dev/hda7
swap        /dev/hdb9
/suse       /dev/hdb1
/suse/usr   /dev/hdb8
/home       /dev/hdb7
/usr/local  /dev/hdb6

boot with "suse" at LILO:
/           /dev/hdb1
/usr        /dev/hdb8
swap        /dev/hdb9
/red        /dev/hda6
/red/usr    /dev/hda7
/home       /dev/hdb7
/usr/local  /dev/hdb6

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: End Task Command
Date: 29 Nov 2000 00:39:03 GMT

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:16:19 -0500, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> mpulliam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
>> > Linux is superior to Windows 98 in that you can kill and
>> > restart errant programs one by one and it won't crash the
>> > rest of your system or force you to restart the whole thing.
>>
>> Unless you kill init....
>> :)
>>
>I never tried it and do not wish to, in case I succeed. Can you do a
>kill -9 to it? Or does the kernel trap that and prevent you from doing
>that?

Unix is built on the assumption that you Know What You're Doing.  Hence
you can "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/kmem", "cat /dev/null >
/etc/hosts.deny && echo "ALL:ALL" > /etc/hosts.allow", or even "kill -9
1" if you're logged in as root.  This is roughly equivalent to sticking
your entire leg into a loaded bazooka's muzzle and then pulling the
trigger, but hey....

From: "Jeremy Rogers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: root filesystem resore from tape
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:44:43 GMT

Does anyone know how to restore a root filesystem from a scsi tape CPIO
backup?

I've done the usual mknod /dev/sda... and mount the disks etc, but I can't
persuade
rescue to see /dev/st0.I've created /dev/st0 by hand using
mknod /dev/st0 c 9 0
but it complains that there's no such device. I tried
insmod st but lsmod doesn't show it.
insmod anything just returns to the bash prompt with no error!

What's happening??

I've repeated similar procedures under various versions of
SCO/Openserver/Xenix over the years and have never had a problem.

Any pointers would be most welcome.

------------------------------

Subject: Mount mysteries
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Gog)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:03:56 GMT

Learning Linux is indeed fun, but there are a few things that have been
difficult to track down.  Gradually, thanks to the folks who provide the
HOWTO's, I've been able to find out most things, but there's a mystery
about mount points that no one seems to explain.

I understand the concept of assigning mount points to a partition and
that the mounted partition "overlays the existing directory" (to quote
one of the documents I read).  In other words, I create a mount point
/home on a partition.  I realize that this /home essentially replaces
the /home that is on the root partition.  If I unmount /home, I find an
empty directory called /home now exists.  If I put a file in this
directory, it will not be visible if I remount /home.  No problem, I
understand that.  What bugs me is:  Where is the file?  Does it take up
space in the root partition?  Since it has an inode, could it be
accessed even while /home is mounted?  I've been dealing with DOS, Win,
and NetWare file systems for a long time, but this is a departure.  I'm
sure that part of my problem is trying to relate FAT to *nix file
systems.

If there's some documentation that explains this in gory detail, I'd
love a reference.

--
 John Gog  (Delete REMOVE to e-mail)
 Advanced Systems Design