Subject: Re: anyone that wants to report this guy for spamming your
From: "Brian L. McCarty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.food.wine,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.movies,rec.collecting.coins,alt.autos.porsche,alt.tv.sopranos
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:14:28 GMT

in article du3u6.156944$[EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 22/3/01
1:08:

> use [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It has already been PROVEN that the racist posts you make AREN'T FORGED.. .
. One look at the headers proves that to a "T".  That's why Road Runner
disconnected you for ten days.  That's why you're HOTMAIL address is dead. .
.

That's why you're real address is [EMAIL PROTECTED], the site for
losers and lamers you host on Road Runner.  Because in addition to being
RACIST, you're also a SEXIST.  Probably repressed homosexual.  When are you
coming out?

You're a racist sexist loser.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: alt.fuck.niggers
Subject: Something to piss you off
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 06:30:05 GMT

Here's something to piss you off.  My stupid asshole school
www.wake.tec.nc.us gives off for martin luther king day and NOT PRESIDENTS
DAY!

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: alt.fuck.niggers
Subject: What naacp really stands for
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 06:38:10 GMT

Niggers Are actually colored polacks
hehhe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:21:19 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing new 2.4 kernal

Matt Hill wrote:

> I compiled the new kernal last night and the process proceeded smoothly, no
> errors in any of the steps. this left me with a kernal bzImage in
> /linux/arch/i386/boot and a file vmlinux in /linux. I tried to update lilo
> to both of these, bzImage first as stated in the README file. ran lilo to
> update configuration and tried to boot. I was presented with an option to
> boot to the new tag of linux-2.4 and when I did, i got booting kernal and
> nothing else. No error message or anything. I have tried to compile the new
> kernal many different times w/ many different methods and I always get the
> same thing. No error message, just a hangup. Any ideas as to what I'm doing
> wrong? I have been able to compile the 2.2 kernal from source the exact
> same way with no problems.

Hello Matt,

perhaps you forgot to read the famous Documentation/Changes file,
which comes with every kernel and updated your system accordingly?

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

Subject: Re: GET RACIST SIPHER42 OUT OF THIS GROUP!
From: "Brian L. McCarty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.food.wine,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.movies,rec.collecting.coins,alt.autos.porsche,alt.tv.sopranos
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:20:53 GMT

in article CkYt6.156050$[EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 21/3/01
17:00:

> The thing is it's not my personal opinion

FUNNY, but YOU posted these racist messages.  Care to explain your dead
HOTMAIL address???

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: alt.fuck.niggers
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 06:30:05 GMT

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: alt.fuck.niggers
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 06:38:10 GMT

From: John Beardmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Best E-mail Client?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:32:04 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, H.Bruijn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>>>It is a tool which converts postscript files/documents to pdf. It is
>>
>>OK.  Sounds handy.
>>
>>>The disadvantage of postscript is that it is quite large, and it never
>>>made it in the Microsoft world (where incompatible word formats and
>>>bitmap images rule the day).
>>
>>Well, M$ probably didn't want to base their GDI on an Adobe technology.
>>
>>They could, and most certainly did, make a far bigger balls of it
>>themselves !
>
>The thing is they don't have any standards they adhere to. Files create
>with newer version of MS-Word can't be opened in _any_ previous version
>of MS-Word.

Unless you SaveAs with the file type set to an earlier version.

> I can understand that new times may require extension in
>technology, but the error message attitude " This file was created with
>a newer version of MS-Word, please fork over more money and upgrade!"
>doesn't make me happy. It doesn't even try, even when it is just plain
>text, and I can't believe that each new version of Word is complete
>rewrite and the file-format used is completely incompatible with any
>other version, without special conversion routines. It is good
>for generating revenue from upgrades though.

Yes.  It's arguable that Micro$oft have made their money by selling the
same old crap with bug fixes and the occasional new feature time and
time again.

>>> PDF files are generally smaller, and are
>>>now quite accepted on windows platforms.
>>
>>Well yes and no.  Quite a few people have never downloaded a 6 or 8 meg
>>PDF viewer, and far fewer still have forked out money Distiller !
>
>Granted. But one of the advantages of PDF is that what you get on your
>display, is exactly what it will/would look like printed.

Assuming the author enabled printing !

> Unlike html,
>which is displayed  depending on your browser, size of the window etc.
>Unlike MS-Word where the default setting is that of editor, not a viewer
>of how things will look like when printed. PDF shows your documents how
>you intended them to be seen. The other is that it is much more platform
>independant then other formats. Viewers exist for nearly all platforms I
>know. And it depends on the audience. In physics, mathematics and other
>sciences, where a lot of equations are used, people loathe to use words
>equation editor, aside from that fact that it renders rather ugly, it
>just takes for ever to type any equation more involved than the adding,
>substracting and multiplying you learned as a child.
>Using groff, tex, and nowadays mostly latex, typing equations is fairly
>easy, and using postscript to render them has beautifull results, except
>that windows doesn't like postscript much.

Well no, but there are tools to view it -  just not from MS.

> PDF documents though, simply
>converted with ps2pdf, can now easily be read on windows thanks to the
>free pdf viewers. The best know equation of Einstein, often abbreviated
>to E=mc^2, is properly formatted something like the ASCII art below
>             m c^2
>E =  -----------------------
>      sqrt( 1 - (v^2 / c^2))
>
>In MS-Word that would require clicking nearly 20 different boxes, in tex
>format the same equation is the admittedly cryptic, but strictly ascii:
>E = \frac{ mc^2 }{ \sqrt{1 - \frac{ v^2 }{ c^2 }}} which would result
>in the slides at http://www.hermanbruijn.com/Docs/einstein.pdf (18k)
>I used the extra features PDF documents allow so please admire the
>thumbnail images and the clickable link at the bottom (generated from
>latex with pdflatex).

Yes, it's very cute, but I don't know if I'd like to do the bulk of my
authoring in tex, though I did contemplate it a few years ago.

>>PDF is further loathed as many documents are authored with printing
>>turned off which makes it hard to read a PDF file in the bath or on the
>>bus !
>
>Well if you can display it, you can print it. It is that it just won't
>print with adobe acrobat...

If you mean you can grab it from the screen, it may not look that great
by the time it gets to paper.

>But then why would you lock them?

Search me -  but people do !

> The whole reason for using pdf for me is
>that it is diplayed on my screen just as would look when printed, unlike
>HTML, the latex source code and such.

Yes.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:41:38 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *Good* Office software for linux???

Dan Smith wrote:

> I have tried staroffice, koffice, and wordperfect.  Can someone tell me how I am
>supposed to get something done in Linux??? > All I need is a good word processor like
>word,

Word == good word processor?

Sorry but it's the most bloated/crappy sw I've ever seen, search the net for 'MS
Word easter egg' and you will see that there is a pin ball game in Word 97, which
gets loaded to your RAM case you start Word!

This way they were able to put even more bloat in Word and may force you to buy a
new machine, just to run a word processor?

> but all the ones I've tried are not that great.  I need something that looks >
>decent on the screen (i.e. not choppy fonts) > and allows me to do most of the normal
>things I need to do.

I have no problem with Star Office and fonts, perhaps you have problems with your
fonts in X?

Star Office can read/save almost every .doc and it can't execute VBA, this way
your halfway sure, there can't be something
dangerous. Did you know that you can execute on Win (NT) things from Word/VBA you
couldn't as normal user, looks as
Word would run with admin privileges, yeah really a descent word processor that
needs to run as "root"....

> I know people get Word working under linux thru wine.  Can someone lead me in the
>right direction?  Do I need to have a > > > working copy of it and windows on my HDD?
> Does it need to be Win9x?

Case you want to run in VMWare you need WIN XX and Word.

Case you want Word only, it could be possible that you only need Word & WINE, but
I don't know,
as you can assume from my post, that I never tried this.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: John Beardmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:43:06 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, M. Buchenrieder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>Facts: Java is a security risk. Java-script is even worse. And ActiveX
>is a nightmare.

:)   These views I share.

> If you want to deliver information, use plain text.
>Anything else is just adding useless overhead to the core message
>itself.

This on the other hand strikes me as balls !

Diagrams and photographs can be very handy ways of conveying
information.  Indeed, any number of words cannot always adequately
describe their content !

In the end, email as we know it now will seem as primitive as the
telephone compared to multi-participant video conferencing.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

------------------------------

From: Bart Friederichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: glibc 2.0/glibc 2.2
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:12:11 GMT

Hi,

I installed Slackware 7.1 (uses glibc 2.0 and Gnome 1.4/KDE 1.2) on my
PC and after that I updgraded glibc tot 2.2.2 and KDE to 2.1, to be able
to use the latest KMail, which is very good.

All seems okay you would say, but when I try to build some application
on that system, I get errors like:

/usr/lib/libgdk.so: undefined reference to `shmctl@@GLIBC_2.0'
/usr/lib/libgdk.so: undefined reference to `localeconv@@GLIBC_2.0'

So it looks like gdk is statically linked to glibc 2.0. Is there a way
to fix this? I have been trying to install Gnome 1.4b2, but I screwed up
my computer with that. Rebuilding gdk with glibc 2.2 seems like an
option, but how can I be sure it updates it, instead of installing next
to the previous version?

Is there maybe a good source on how shared libs, etc are used in a Linux
system? I'm getting close to *really* understanding my system, but
sometimes when I think I can fix things, I only make it worse.

On the other hand, shouldn't glibc be backward compatible, so that libs
that are linked with glibc 2.0 should also work with 2.2? Or: is it
possible to change the libc.so.6 link so that it point to the old
version (which is still there), or make libgdk (and others) look to the
shlib immediately, instead of using that softlink?

I have a lot of questions and if anybody has something useful for me
please let me know.

TIA
Bart Friederichs
The internet is a too slow way of doing things you'd never do without
it.
                                             Bart Friederichs, 1998

From: Bart Friederichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for a 486?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:22:15 GMT

Mike Flournoy wrote:

> I am ignorant to Linux but have a old 486 I wanted to use to learn on. It
> appears most newer versions are aimed at Pentiums. Is it possible to run
> linux with a GUI on a 486 or is that just too slow?
Why use a GUI in learning Linux? A lot of things are done from the
commandline and you'll be learning more than when using KAdmin or Gnome
or whatever tool you want. I installed a linux router not long ago on a
486/DX2/50 w/ 32M RAM and a 200M hd. The install is just 40M and still
there is a lot unused stuff on it. When you want to _learn_ linux
instead of _use_ it, you don't need a GUI, just a good texteditor and
some brains :^).

Grzz
Bart

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Krzysztof Godlewski)
Subject: Re: line wrap
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:26:01 +0000 (UTC)

Ponurego dnia 22 Mar 2001 05:59:59 GMT Holland King spod swych
paluchów wypu¶cił te oto słowa:

>how do you set the linewrap using tin with the editor vi(m)

Add these lines to your ~/.vimrc

set wrap
set tw=76

--
Krzysztof Godlewski                Ale pod RedHatem wszystko robi sie SAMO!!!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          "Pioter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> na p.c.o.l

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xterm keys not working.
Date: 22 Mar 2001 11:32:52 GMT

David Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There are certain keyboard keys (home - end) which are not recognised when
> I'm in xterm, xterm-color, Kvt and Konsole and using a command-line editor
> (jed).  The keys are recognised in rxvt though.  I'm sure this is an "old"
> problem, but my memory is also "old" and fails me.  Any ideas how to get
> around this.

your terminal description doesn't match the terminal (there's more than
one coding for home/end).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 22 Mar 2001 12:00:01 GMT

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:32:04 +0000, John Beardmore allegedly wrote:

>Yes, it's very cute, but I don't know if I'd like to do the bulk of my
>authoring in tex, though I did contemplate it a few years ago.

For me the main advantadge is that tex files themselves are in plain
text, which anyone can read. That also makes them very compact.
Second using latex and other macro's forces you to structurise your texts,
which you can also do in in Word, except that hardly anyone does, most
people end up using a larger bold font size to designate chapters and
number them manually.
Chapters, sections, equations, tables, illustrations are all consitently
numbered, easy to create an index or table of contents, very usefull in
larger documents. Also you can keep each chapter of your book in it's
own seperate file/directory, they will be merged when you run latex.
And you don't have images loaded in your editor either, just specify the
location of the file and it will be included in the final document. IIRC
you do something like that in Adobe's illustrator as well, the
high-resolution image sits in it's own file, in your editor though you
only get a light, low resolution version, so that you don't slow down to
a grind when you want to include ten high res tiff images in your document,
which is what happens in MS Word.
There is though a much steeper learning curve to be able to create
documents in latex, the results is generally much better as well. The
moment that one wants to do things outside of the supplied macro's, is
generally more difficult.
--
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?
Herman Bruijn                            mail:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dial up problem
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:01:02 +0100

Á R E A I N F O R M Á T I C A wrote:

> I can't connect dial up, using external modem ( Wrong IP, DNS error )I
> need help whit Red Hat 6.2 Dial up connections setup and shared
> internet connections.Oswald

1. Do not post in HTML

2. Either search the web for information

3. or be more specific

4. Stick to these rules

Martin

--
Martin Stenzel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP-/GnuPG-encrypted mail appreciated,
public key (ID: >>B57C61DC<<) at:
>>http://141.20.1.38/~h0444xyv/GPGkey_martin.stenzel<<

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:23:20 GMT

John Beardmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, M. Buchenrieder
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>>Facts: Java is a security risk. Java-script is even worse. And ActiveX
>>is a nightmare.

>:)   These views I share.

Good :-)

[...]

>Diagrams and photographs can be very handy ways of conveying
>information.  Indeed, any number of words cannot always adequately
>describe their content !

Right, but you may send them as simple MIME attachments.

Reliable, flexible, safe. There's absolutely no need for
HTML just to send over GIFs or JPEGs .

>In the end, email as we know it now will seem as primitive as the
>telephone compared to multi-participant video conferencing.

TEOTWAWKI. Film at 11.

Since you'll - for the forseeable future, at least - never know
what transport and bandwidth the recipient of your message will
have available at a given time, nor what system he'll be using to
receive and read your mail, that's simply not going to happen.

Michael

--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:16:39 GMT

Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>I agree. You know that and I know that....but 'they' don't know that. I
>have to deal with 'they'.

So do I. I take the time to carefully explain them why it is
a bad idea, though. Sometimes it just doesn't work. For those
customers, however, I use a secondary non-networked machine to
connect to, using an actual flavour of MS software. And they receive
answers in an open format, like .rtf documents.

It depends from how worthwile you do estimate your own time to be.
And the potential damage by possibly malicious attachments and
macros to your own machines and business, as compared with the
potential loss of a customer.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu