Linux-Misc Digest #427, Volume #26               Wed, 29 Nov 00 21:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: ls --color (Robert Kiesling)
  Full screen PDF viewer (SKG) (Georg Skillas)
  Re: root password changed, need help ("Jan Schaumann")
  Re: root filesystem resore from tape ("Jeremy Rogers")
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")
  Re: group opinions ("Garry Knight")
  Re: Gnome and KDE ("Garry Knight")
  Re: Memory leak (Robert Heller)
  Re: How to calculate space in bytes of a dir??? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Virtual mem exhaust problem? (Robert Heller)
  Re: Mount mysteries (John Gog)
  Re: Virtual mem exhaust problem? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: suid (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL? (Ronald Cole)
  Re: Good Linux distro for older Pentium box, your take? (Dan Amborn)
  Re: ls --color (Bit Twister)
  Re: Mount mysteries / Netware vs. (ljb)
  using paride/backpack module & getting unresolved symbol: kmalloc, etc (Eli the
Bearded)

Subject: Re: ls --color
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:24:12 GMT

"Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "LuisMiguel Figueiredo"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > I'm using debian 2.2 and i tried everything to put some colors on ls.
> > The  only sucess i had was as root. As normal user i have to type
> >
> > alias ls="ls --color" on the console
> >
> > i doesn't work on .bashrc nor .profile
>
> Did you try the following?
>   alias ls='ls --color=always'

I don't think that's the question.  I think the OP was referring
to how to set the alias at login.  Please Correct if I'm wrong.

If the shell is bash, and it's a login shell, the the .bash_profile
file gets sourced.  If it's a non-login shell, then .bashrc gets
sourced.  If the shell is tcsh or csh, then the login should
be either .login, .tcshrc, or .cshrc, but I'm not a csh user.  Read
the friendly man page to be certain.

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

From: Georg Skillas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Full screen PDF viewer (SKG)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:00:16 +0100

Hello folks,

as laptops get more widespread and laptop-to-overhead projectors cheaper
more and more people use their laptop at meetings to present things.

I an trying to do the same and I have few questions. First is there anyway
to persuade acroread to display landscape pages? Alternatively is there a
PDF viewer (like ghostview?) that will allow for full-screen viewing of a
PDF?

Another question: PS files, incorporating coloured graphs by gnuplot,
converted with ghostscript (ps2pdf), seem to render ok with acroread,
except the graph colours are messed up. Viewing the same file with
Ghostscript (as a PDF) produces the same colours as the PS. Is there any
solution? Who is the bad guy?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

George
======== = = =  =   =    =     =     =      =        =             =
Dr. George Skillas              Tel.: ++1 513 556 5152; 281 8546
Dept. Chemical Engineering      FAX : ++1 513 556 3773
Univ. of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0012       Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
USA                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root password changed, need help
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:29:58 -0500

* "James Silverton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jan Schaumann wrote:
>>
>> * Bulent Sarinc wrote:
>> > i didnt give it to anybody
>> >
>> > i have been hacked probably damn those hackers
>>
>> Dude, if you've been hacked it won't help just changing the
>> root-password. You gotta take the machine off the net, wipe it,
>> re-install, make it secure and only then hook it up again.
>
> It is probably no consolation to you but you were not "hacked" you were
> "cracked".

Ack. My apologies for not setting this straight in the first place.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Fry: "They're great! They're like sex except I'm having them."

------------------------------

From: "Jeremy Rogers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root filesystem resore from tape
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:29:56 GMT

John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > Any pointers would be most welcome.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Does the kernel on your rescue disk support scsi tape?

Presumably. It's the out of the box kernel shipped with red hat 6.2. Once
booted, the DAT drive works fine. I assume that the kernel booted from the
CD under "linux rescue" is the same as the one installed??

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:18:47 -0500

> Exactly.  He was saying the the whole system is crap based
> on the splash screen.

I most certainly was not! I loved Mandrake! That's why I hated the fact that
the design was crappy! Everything else is good! I never said the system
sucked. I said the design sucked. Linux Mandrake is the  best Linux I ever
tried. BTW, I did say I was willing to redo them.

> I don't see why any SANE person would write off a reliable,
> efficient, highly productive operating system on the basis
> of a splash screen.

I wasn't writing off the system based on the splash screen. I just said it
sucked. Mandrake is still happily humming away in my computer so I certainly
haven't dumped it...

> I'm just commenting on his contention that a splash screen that
> doesn't align with *his* taste somehow nullifies ALL of the
> advantages of Linux.   This is EXTREMELY short-sighted.

Wow, would you mind quoting the bit where you came up with this, I'd love to
hear myself say that...

> By the way, the sketches look like they were snagged from the
> source of the illustrations from O'Reilly's books ( http://www.ora.com/ )

Are you accusing me of plagiarism? Where specifically did you find my
drawings other than on my website?

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: group opinions
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:00:59 +0000

In article <903sm0$117$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Luke Richards"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do you think that Linux will surpass microsoft.

Surpass in what sense? It's a bit like asking whether oranges taste
better than apples.

> Will the majority of users only ever be admins and techys or will it
> broaden into homes of the average user.

The average Linux user is a different kind of person from the average
Windows user and might or might not be more or less "techy" depending
on what you mean by the term.

> To what extent do you feel Linux reach and what do you think ultimatly
> will it never reach.

Ummm... Reach what exactly?

> Will the community continue to develop the software with regards to
> the OS and the applications and for free.

The community, including companies such as Red Hat and MandrakeSoft,
have been developing the software for some years now and some of it is
free and some of it isn't. As long as there are computers, and people
interested in learning how they work, I can't see this changing anytime
soon.

--
Garry Knight

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome and KDE
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:00:59 +0000

In article <mvgV5.4711$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "GC"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i'm very new to linux, so i don't nkow mucha bout the GUI enviroments
> or anything. well, i heard things about KDE, Gnome and X11. i was
> wondering could software that ran in one of these environments run on
> the other?

They're not really environments: X11 is a windowing system, KDE and
GNOME (GNU Network Object Model Environment, so GNOME not Gnome) are
GUI desktop metaphors that run on top of X. Once X is up and running
you can run any KDE, GNOME or X apps as long as the relevant libraries
are installed.

> also, are there any opinions on what is better and more stable? KDE,
> Gnome or X11? or any other environments? thanks

Yes, there are lots of opinions.  :o)

--
Garry Knight

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory leak
Date: 29 Nov 2000 19:02:04 true

  Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on 29 Nov 2000 14:55:18 +0100, wrote :

SG> Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

SG> > > But he said that the system crashes.
SG> >
SG> > That doesn't mean it's a kernel problem.  I've experienced memory
SG> > leaks with enlightenment and sawfish, for example.  He has to
SG> > give more specific info if he wants the problem resolved.
SG>
SG> If the system crashes, doesn't that mean that it is a kernel problem?
SG> The system should never crash (for software reasons) :-)

Unless there is some bad memory, which causes the kernel to become
confused (trashed pointers or something).

Is the memory the right sort?

Proper number of wait states, refresh timing, etc.  Some of these things
can be *slightly* off and the system will run, for awhile and then boom,
it crashes.

Also: it could be thermal -- a marginal cooling program can leave things
like the ram & processor to *slowly* warm up until something goes out of
spec...

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to calculate space in bytes of a dir???
Date: 29 Nov 2000 19:02:06 true

  [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  In a message on Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:36:58 GMT, wrote :

e> Hi,
e>
e> I have a Linux RH6.2 and my root partition (/) have become
e> full (100% used) rapidly. I use Squid and QMail into this
e> server and I suspect one of these is the responsable for
e> my full partition.
e>
e> Then, I would like to know if there is some command from
e> Linux that allows to calculate all space used for each
e> directory. After this, it is possible to know who is the
e> "byte-eater" of my system.

du

Do a 'man du' for complete information.

e>
e> Thanks for any help,
e>
e>
e> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
e> Before you buy.
e>

--
                                     \/

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virtual mem exhaust problem?
Date: 29 Nov 2000 19:02:08 true

  Chet Vora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:44:49 -0500, wrote :

CV> Hi,
CV>
CV> I am having Virtual Memory problems while compiling a particular app. I
CV> keep getting "Virtual memory exhausted" error so I decided to do a
CV> little investigation about the swap configuration on my RH6.2.
CV>
CV> On doing a df -h, I get
CV> Filesystem  Size        Used      Av     %use     Mounted on
CV> /dev/hda6    1.4G  .9G         blah    blah        /
CV> /dev/hda1    19M  2.4M      blah    blah        /boot
CV> /dev/hda5    1.4G  .9G        blah    blah        /home
CV>
CV> On doing free,
CV>             total       used    avlable
CV> Mem    30M      29M    .7M
CV> Swap:   68M     3.5M   64M
CV>
CV> Is the partition named "boot" the swap partition (this m/c was someone
CV> else's )? If so, why the disparity bet'en the sizes shown by df vs free
CV> ? Or is it that df doen't show the swap partition ? Is a 68M swap size
CV> right or will I be benefitted by increasing it ?

Your swap partition is not listed by df.  Look in /etc/fstab -- it will
be listed there.  You can certainly increase your swap space.

CV> THis is a 32M RAM,180 MHz Pentium machine. Would also appreciate
CV> feedback about how to resolve the "Virtual Mem exhaust" problem. I'm
CV> trying to compile a protocol stack which in turn uses flex and yacc. Any
CV> pointers will be welcome.

You need more Virtual Memory.  Even better more physical RAM, if you
can get it (this is a 72pin EDO RAM type motherboard, right? -- this
type of RAM is probably becoming hard to get).

You can increase your swap space on-the-fly:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/moreswap bs=1024K count=128
mkswap /home/moreswap
swapon /home/moreswap

This will bump up your swap space by 128Meg.  You'll need to edit
/etc/fstab to make this swap space show up the next time you reboot.

--
                                     \/

Subject: Re: Mount mysteries
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Gog)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:04:36 GMT

On November 29 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb) wrote:

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Learning Linux is indeed fun, but there are a few things that have
>> been difficult to track down.  Gradually, thanks to the folks who
>> provide the HOWTO's, I've been able to find out most things, but
>> there's a mystery about mount points that no one seems to explain.
>>
>> I understand the concept of assigning mount points to a partition and
>> that the mounted partition "overlays the existing directory" (to
>> quote one of the documents I read).  In other words, I create a mount
  >> point /home on a partition.  I realize that this /home essentially
>> replaces the /home that is on the root partition.  If I unmount
>> /home, I find an empty directory called /home now exists.  If I put a
  >> file in this directory, it will not be visible if I remount /home.
  >> No problem, I understand that.  What bugs me is:  Where is the
file?   >> Does it take up space in the root partition?  Since it has an
inode,  >> could it be accessed even while /home is mounted?  I've been
dealing  >> with DOS, Win, and NetWare file systems for a long time, but
this is  >> a departure.  I'm sure that part of my problem is trying to
relate  >> FAT to *nix file systems.

>> If there's some documentation that explains this in gory detail, I'd
>> love a reference.
>
> A slight correction first. The volume to be mounted has no concept
> of where it is "supposed" to go, like /home, until it is mounted.
> Think of mounting a volume like this: you are attaching a filesystem
> into the existing filesystem tree. The point where it gets attached
> is the point point, a directory. When you mount the filesystem, Linux
> arranges things so that searching / for /home (for example) points
> you to the mounted filesystem's root directory instead of what was
> in "/home" before.
>
> As you said, anything in /home before mounting is no longer visible.
> Yes it is still exactly where it was before, and still takes up space
> on the disk. But the operating system has no way to find it because
> its parent directory is hidden. (This isn't really true. If you create
  > /home/testfile, then make a hard-link from /tmp/testfile to
> /home/testfile, then mount over /home, you can still get to testfile
> through /tmp. This is related to what you said about inodes - it still
  > has its inode, so it can be accessed through another link.)

A very clear explanation, thank you.

> Don't try to understand mount points through Netware or DOS.  This
> mounting volumes thing is a Unix concept, so a good book on Unix would
  > explain it. For example, Maurice J Bach's "The Design of the Unix
> Operating System" has a lot of details on exactly what goes on.

I'll be looking into that.  You're right, though: It's very tempting to
try to apply DOS and/or Netware thinking to *nix environment.
Interestingly, in trying to learn Linux, I've come to see a lot of
Netware's *nix roots, which, of course, increases the temptation to
apply one to the other.

Thanks again for the explanation.

--
 John Gog  (Delete REMOVE to e-mail)
 Advanced Systems Design

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 30 Nov 2000 01:10:48 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:32:28 GMT, ne... wrote:
>On Nov 29, 2000 at 13:44, Chet Vora eloquently wrote:
>
>>Mem    30M      29M    .7M
>>Swap:   68M     3.5M   64M
>>Is a 68M swap size
>>right or will I be benefitted by increasing it ?
>/boot is when the kernel is stored. This is not the swap partition.
>
>>THis is a 32M RAM,180 MHz Pentium machine. Would also appreciate
>>feedback about how to resolve the "Virtual Mem exhaust" problem. I'm
>>trying to compile a protocol stack which in turn uses flex and yacc. Any
>>pointers will be welcome.
>Due to the amount of ram you have, it would seem you need more swap.
>The swap initially allocated would have been ok if you weren't
>compiling stuff. It more seems you need more hardware. If you have
>unformatted space on /dev/hda, I would format this for swap. Else, if
>you have a spare harddrive, this could be used for swap also.

Spare harddrive?  Heck with that; if you have *any* spare space on the
root partition, you can get more swap space.  Like so:  (must be done as root,
natch.)

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=64
sync
sync
mkswap /swapfile
swapon /swapfile

Add /swapfile to /etc/fstab to enable the extra swap space at boot time.
HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: suid
Date: 30 Nov 2000 01:10:50 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:15:42 -0700, Joe Terry wrote:
>I am writing a backup script that unloads a database, tars the tables and
>then copies the tar file to a zip drive.  I want to be able to mount/unmount
>the zip drive and have different users access the script.  I have tried to
>set the script up using suid chmod 4755 script, but it does not seem to run
>in suid mode. I want to create temporary files and mount/unmount the zip
>drive -- this requires superuser permission.
>
>Can anyone tell me what I am doing improperly?

This is a FAQ.  Shell scripts *CANNOT* be SUID under Linux.  There are
too many security problems.  Use "sudo" instead if you can, or put a
wrapper around your script:

#include<stdio.h>
#include<unistd.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{ setuid(0); system("/path/to/script"); return 0; }

From: Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.databases.postgresql.general,comp.databases.postgresql.committers,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL?
Date: 29 Nov 2000 17:18:01 -0800

Raymond Chui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I am just start look at PostgreSQL for our Redhat Linux.
> I am wonder why most of people choose MySQL in Linux
> world rather than PostgreSQL? PostgreSQL has 15 years
> history (I never know that before) which is much longer
> than MySQL. Also PostgreSQL supports a lot of things
> which MySQL has not support yet.

Postgres, yes.  PostgreSQL, no.  PostgreSQL was a new project with
Postgres95 as a starting point.  Postgres95 was an attempt to put an
SQL front-end on Postgres.  AFAIK, most all of the Postgres code was
jettisoned early on for performance reasons.  That makes PostgreSQL
roughly five years old, code-wise.

I still have a Postgres95 tree in CVS before the PostgreSQL fork to
prove it, too!  ;)

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      Phone: (760) 499-9142

------------------------------

From: Dan Amborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good Linux distro for older Pentium box, your take?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:46:47 -0600

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:12:55 -0500, "//.././"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a Pentium 166 with 64 meg of RAM and a separate 6 gig harddisk
>for linux. I used to run Red Hat 6.0; the performance was good, although
>it pages quite a bit when GIMP and Netscape are used (especially at the
>same time). Recently I upgraded to Linux-Mandrake 7.2 and I noticed a
>performance hit, to the point of being annoying. (I also have a problem
>with no sound, but that's another issue).
>
>I'm thinking of switching to some (possibly older) distribution. I have
>couple choices: RedHat 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, or Corel Linux 2nd ed. (I don't
>have the RH6.0 disks anymore).
>
>What would you recommend? My priorities are: stability, performance
>(with stability being slightly more important).
>
>TIA

I would run Slackware 7.1.  Its pretty fast for a newer distribution.
Is doesn't have hardly any bloat which is nice.  Other than that there
is Redhat 6.2 which is pretty stable but definately slower than
Slackware.

--

Dan Amborn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 01:54:20 GMT

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:04:57 +0000, Garry Knight
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "LuisMiguel Figueiredo"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> I'm using debian 2.2 and i tried everything to put some colors on ls.
>> The  only sucess i had was as root. As normal user i have to type
>>
>> alias ls="ls --color" on the console
>>
>> i doesn't work on .bashrc nor .profile
>
>Did you try the following?
>  alias ls='ls --color=always'

You might try     alias ls="ls --color=tty"
so that it does not dink up script/command files.
I have the command in /etc/bashrc

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: Mount mysteries / Netware vs.
Date: 30 Nov 2000 02:00:40 GMT

>Interestingly, in trying to learn Linux, I've come to see a lot of
>Netware's *nix roots, which, of course, increases the temptation to
>apply one to the other.

Netware's Unix roots??? I can't think of anything that would make
me think so. Examples?

------------------------------

From: Eli the Bearded <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: using paride/backpack module & getting unresolved symbol: kmalloc, etc
Date: 30 Nov 2000 02:05:34 GMT

So I recently got a free (used) Backpack cd-rewriter which I would
like to use on my fairly standard -- I've made no changes to the
kernel -- RedHat 6.0 box.

This thing is a parallel port device, and I did some searches
and found <http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html> with a
fair amount of good info. From there I learned that the maker
has a linux kernel module for this, for 2.2.5-15.
<http://www.micro-solutions.com/software_library/linux/>

So I got it and put the file in my modules directory and
'insmod'ed parport, paride, and backpack, then tried to do
a 'depmod -a' but got an 'unresolved symbols' error. Next
I did a 'depmod -a -e' to see what the problem was:

: root; uname -a
Linux queasy 2.2.5-15 #1 Mon Apr 19 23:00:46 EDT 1999 i686 unknown
: root; depmod -a -e
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/misc/backpack.o: unresolved symbol(s)
        kmalloc
        kfree
        printk
        __const_udelay

Can't find 'kmalloc'? That's really basic. I do have a System.map
in place (/boot/System.map -> /boot/System.map-2.2.5-15) and
my System.map does have all those symbols in it, so it makes
me think something weird is wrong.

Anyone use this module successfully? Tips? Tricks? Inside info
on the horse races?

Elijah
======