From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Kde 2 Reeeeally slow, or is it my box poorly trimmed ?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:13:18 -0600

Emmanuel Beranger wrote:

> Kde 1 was fine on my AMD 350
> I tried KDE 2, just to see ... but I soon reverted to 1, because it was
> sooooo slow ...
>
> Any1 got the same impression, or you all have rocket 1,5 Ghz chips ?

I have a AMD 400 and find KDE2 perfectly acceptable on the speed count. I
believe a shortage of RAM will affect it dramatically though, I have 128M.
Use Control Center, Information, Memory to see if you need more for KDE2 to
be comfortable. Physical will almost always show nearly full but you should
not see much virtual used if things are going to be quick. My system shows
92% and 5%.

BTW- KDE questions get answers faster over at comp.windows.x.kde

------------------------------

From: "Erik Knave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:30:31 +0100

I was wondering if you perhaps is experiencing the same ploblem as me.
When I installed RH7 i thought X was really slow. And then I checked with
'top' how
much mem the os thought I had. It reported a tenth of the installed amount
of memory (13 Meg, when I have 128 Meg).

If anyone else has experienced this kind of problem, then please give me a
hint of what to do
/ Erik

news:90h5ih$21r8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (RogerB)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Help: 2.2.17 kernel crashes during large I/O operations
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 00:42:57 GMT

        I'm not sure about the kernel version but are you sure it's not a
hardware problem. I have the same problem on my little box because I
can't get the scsi timing right. Also bad drive cables can do the same thing.

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:40:34 -0400, Marco Imperatore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (stephenp)
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking
Subject: Pointer to DMail FAQ
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:54:44 GMT

Pointer to DMail Mail Server, Email List Server and WEBMail Software
FAQ and Binary Areas:

The Dmail Mail Server is an advanced, standards based, Email Software
Solution suitable Internet Service Providers and Corporates.

Manual & FAQS: http://netwinsite.com/dmail/manual.htm
WEB: http://netwinsite.com

------------------------------

From: Michael Ramirez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba and college network
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 01:59:39 -0500

Question- I'm on a college campus and my dorm is on a LAN. I'm trying to
imagine how I can configure smbclient to be able to access shares
without knowing the netbios name of every computer in my dorm. Is there
anyway I can browse the network, finding out the necessary "name" info?
I'd like to be able to share with the rest of the dorm (I'm
discriminated against because I use linux!!). Maybe you could lead me to
a webpage answering my question... Thanks for the help.

--
Michael Ramirez
Computer Science/Computer Engineering Student

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Subject: Re: Problem connecting to X server -- Font directory.
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:43:52 GMT

Who ever said O'Neill couldn't write what follows?:
>I have a linux machine running RH 6.1.  Yesterday I rebooted.  After
>the reboot, I can't bring up the X server.  (It was up and running
>fine until the reboot.)
>
>Linux tells me it can't find the Font directory.  /etc/XF86Config file
>has the fontpath entry  as "unix/:-1"  This makes no sense to me, and
>apparently not to linux either, although up until yesterday there
>wasn't any problem, and there's no sign that the file was changed.
>
>Any ideas??

I had a similar problem a while ago. I don't know what's wrong, but I
replaced "unix/:-1" in /etc/X11/XF86Config with the following:

FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/sharefont/"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX/"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/"
FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/"

It works fine. I suppose if you did a similar thing for your setup, it might
solve your problem.

--

Bryan Hoyt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

===================================

        THE LESSER-KNOWN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES #10: SIMPLE

SIMPLE is an acronym for Sheer Idiot's Monopurpose Programming Language
Environment.  This language, developed at the Hanover College for
Technological Misfits, was designed to make it impossible to write code
with errors in it.  The statements are, therefore, confined to BEGIN,
END and STOP.  No matter how you arrange the statements, you can't make
a syntax error.  Programs written in SIMPLE do nothing useful.  Thus
they achieve the results of programs written in other languages without
the tedious, frustrating process of testing and debugging.

------------------------------

From: Paul Saletan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unarchiving with cpio & gzip
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:44:56 GMT

I'm trying to write a simple command line that works to extract
archives created with the Linux afio program under another operating
system (Windows NT or OS/2).  I can't find a port of afio for non-Unix
systems, so I'm seeking a command that works using a combination of
cpio and gzip, which are widely available utilities.

Extraction is easy to accomplish with cpio alone when the archive is
not compressed:  "cpio -i < my-archive-file".  However, because I am
backing up to CD-R instead of tape, I prefer to compress my archives
using afio's gzip (-Z) option. But I can't figure out how to
decompress them.  Unlike tar, afio individually compresses the files,
and cpio lacks a built-in parameter to filter each compressed file
through gzip.

Can someone show me a command that works to extract afio gzipped
archives by creating a pipe between cpio and gzip?

// Paul Saletan ** Please remove NOJUNKMAIL from address when replying **

------------------------------

From: "Antony Mak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel Panic!
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:56:34 +0800

Can anyone tell me why my SuSE6.2 box often display such messages:

Message from syslogd@prod1 at Tue Dec 5 09:31:55 2000 ...
test1 kernel: Kernel panic: VFS: LRU block list corrupted

And the system will halt immediate. I have already swapped the motherbroad
and harddisks.
But the problem still occur. Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Antony

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Exchange Server / Linux VPN
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:45:06 GMT

My question is: how are you authenticating with the domain?  With SMB
shares you can always attach as a specific user.  I think Exchange
assumes that you are already authenticated though...

-phil

In article <h6iW5.51155$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "ACBLMB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a Linux Firewall on my Network that is setup with VPN. Every
thing is
> working fine execpt Outlook.
> When a client conects with VPN they can browse the entire Network,
Map to

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Unknown Ethernet Packet
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:54:14 GMT

So it's definitely a broadcast packet.  From that mac it looks like a
switch or a hub.  Does your switch support VLANs?  These might be
discovery packets or something like that.  I'm sure there are ways to
drop these packets if you don't have access to the network hardware...

--phil

From: Scott Horsley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: sound permission problems
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:05:39 +1100

For a quick and nasty fix, i would use chmod 777 /dev/dsp and chmod 777
/dev/mixer (as root) to fix this, i too have debian and have added myself to
the audio group but still end up with no sound unless i give full
permissions to everybody on the system

Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:55:35 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: su (to root)
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 02:20:35 GMT

In article <dWUW5.14312$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Iain Ambler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:90b3iv$9b3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > is there any way to set up the system so that only
> > *one specific user* can SU to root?
>
> Why do this?
>
> When you are logged in as yourself it is easier to su to root so you can run
> root commands.  Otherwise its log out as you, log in as root.
>
> If you dont want to let anyone perform root functions, dont give them the
> password (or SET it to password!!!)

well, i'll tell you why. somehow someone figured out the password, logged in
remotely and su to root. i caought the act before any real damage being done.
now, since root can only log on from "secure ttys", if i can prevent
intruders from suing to root, they won't be able to gain root access even
they somehow figure out the password. interestingly, this guy logged in as
operator, i'm still puzzled by this. i didn't even know the pass for operator
myself. i think there's something more serious than password guessing,
because i don't think the root password is really guessible.

From: Georg Skillas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Full screen PDF viewer (SKG)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 00:02:18 +0100

Hello George,

thanks for pointing this out to me... However, how Do I display landscape
documents? Acrobat is a bit particular about that ;-)

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, George White wrote:

|On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Georg Skillas wrote:
|
|> I an trying to do the same and I have few questions. First is there anyway
|> to persuade acroread to display landscape pages? Alternatively is there a
|
|> Another question: PS files, incorporating coloured graphs by gnuplot,
|> converted with ghostscript (ps2pdf), seem to render ok with acroread,
|> except the graph colours are messed up. Viewing the same file with
|> Ghostscript (as a PDF) produces the same colours as the PS. Is there any
|> solution? Who is the bad guy?
|
|This is a big problem if you use images.  Ghostscript doesn't have
|much support for color management.  PDF does provide several color

Ok. ok. I explained that badly. It is not that the colours are wrong. Lets
say that I can live with that (and I can). What really bothers me is much
more wicked.

Lets assume you have three plots and to look good you want to be consistant
and use the same colours. So you instruct gnuplot to do just that. Then
you look at them one at a time with Acrobat reader (converting them through
ps2pdf) and the colours are consistent. When you put both EPS files in one
single document and convert that into a PDF, the same way then the colours
are being "cycled through" and differences arise. This looks really bad.
And it is not a colour quality problem, its probably a bug. Anyone with a
workaround?

Regards,

George

|models and finer distinctions such as 'device RGB' vs 'calibrated RGB',
|but few if any open source tools support these distinctions.
|If you work within the ConTeXt framework you can choose colors from
|a swatch 'book' (PDF file) to get predictable colors on your display.
|
|> Any ideas?
|>
|> Thanks in advance,
|>
|> George
|> -------- - - -  -   -    -     -     -      -        -             -
|> Dr. George Skillas              Tel.: ++1 513 556 5152; 281 8546
|> Dept. Chemical Engineering      FAX : ++1 513 556 3773
|> Univ. of Cincinnati
|> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0012       Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|> USA                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

|--

======== = = =  =   =    =     =     =      =        =             =

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 21:44:40 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <dWUW5.14312$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Iain Ambler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:90b3iv$9b3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > is there any way to set up the system so that only
> > > *one specific user* can SU to root?
> >
> > Why do this?
> >
> > When you are logged in as yourself it is easier to su to root so you can run
> > root commands.  Otherwise its log out as you, log in as root.
> >
> > If you dont want to let anyone perform root functions, dont give them the
> > password (or SET it to password!!!)
> >

> well, i'll tell you why. somehow someone figured out the password, logged in
> remotely and su to root.

If you picked too simple a password, or did not change it frequently
enough, you can do better in the future.

If you allow telnet into your machine, repent and sin no more.
Sniffers are out there waiting.

Did you set your /etc/securetty so that only your console(s) could
login as root, and certainly no dial-in or network users? I guess you
have now fixed this.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong)
Subject: Applixware 5 crashes Red Hat 7
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 02:49:30 GMT

This is most unnerving. I recently installed Applixware Office 5.0,
upgrading from version 4.4.1. I tried the word processor. When I
selected some text and tried changing the font, Red Hat 7 would
crash. Hard. The screen goes blank and the machine would suddenly and
silently (or with a beep) reboot. The file system was not cleanly
unmounted, so an fsck was forced. This has happened several times, both
with XFree86 4.0.1 and 3.3.6 servers.

My machine used to run Mandrake 7 before I installed Red Hat 7 over it,
in case that is relevant. At this point, I don't even know where to
begin diagnosing this problem. The syslog is useless, since the crash is
sudden and silent. The only thing I did was to select text in the word
processor and change the font. I believe I have installed most of Red
Hat's fixes, including the latest glibc 2.2.

Suggestions, anyone?

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 02:59:41 +0000

In article <90h5ih$21r8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Emmanuel Beranger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kde 1 was fine on my AMD 350 I tried KDE 2, just to see ... but I soon
> reverted to 1, because it was sooooo slow ...
>
> Any1 got the same impression, or you all have rocket 1,5 Ghz chips ?

Nope. I'm running KDE2 on a Cyrix P200MMX with 80MB RAM and it runs at
an acceptable speed. I guess it depends what you're used to.

--
Garry Knight