From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux compiler problem??
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:11:35 GMT

"Jeff Lacki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90mkom$dub$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The first error I had was:
>
> gcc  -L../../lib -L../../common/lib  -o ../../bin/ondemand bod.o
bod_init.o bod_main.o bod_signal.o bod_util.o bod_io.o bod_open.o
bod_close.o
bod_machine.o -lgl_video -lgl_audio -lgl_setup -lil_network -lil_msg -lil_sh
mem -lgl_util -lgl_pid -lcodecs -lnsl -lm -lbe_client -lgl_od
> bod_util.o: file not recognized: File truncated <-------??????
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The object files you´re using are sick, here bod_util.o. If they are from
your sources, get rid of all .O files and compile them over.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jynx)
Subject: Re: Can't use RealPlayer
Date: 07 Dec 2000 18:21:31 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:29:20 +0800, Carfield Yim scribbled:
>I am using gnome. After I download Real Player and install, it tell me
>that the version is expired and need to update, but it is a fresh
>download from real.com. How can I do?

W/O more information....   What is the system date on your machine?

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones         |  jonz             |  W3DHJ     |  OS/2
 Gunnison, Colorado    |   @               |  Jonesy    |  linux    __

------------------------------

Subject: Re: help w/ setting an environment var
From: John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Dec 2000 13:19:18 -0600

    Floyd> What happens if you do "echo $0" on the command line?

c715466-a:~> echo $0
tcsh

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: Can and Can't Boot from RH 6.2 CD-ROM
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:35:29 GMT

Go to bottom

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:05:18 -0800, Wayne Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I tried booting from the RH boot disk, and it started asking me questions: what
>language is your keyboard,
>what is your language, and finally "What Type of CD-ROM do you have? SCSI or IDE" I
>answered SCSI and
>selected the menu for AHA-152X. A message was sprayed across the screen that said,
>
>p/aha152x.o init
>module : Device or
>
>That's it. It ended with 'or' and began as shown. In any case, I could not proceed.
>

>Lee Allen wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:14:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (DualIP) wrote:

>mode on one computer
>only, no such
>choice, and second
>Any ideas what I'm up
>to boot from a
>> >
>> >Check BIOS setup to set 1st bootable device.
>> >Only newer (couple of years)  BIOSes support boot from CDROM
>>
>> Like *he* said.
>>
>> If you can't get it to boot from the CD, use the RedHat boot floppy --
>> it does the same thing.  I always do it with the CD in the drive, but
>> now that I think of it, I don't think it even references the CD.

Oops, I was right the first time, wrong just now:

The above procedure works if the RedHat CD is in the drive.
That is, put the RedHat CD in the CD-ROM drive, put the RedHat boot
floppy in the floppy drive, boot, and enter "linux rescue" at the
boot: prompt.

I guess this would only work on systems where the CD support is built
into the rescue kernel -- most IDE based CD-ROMs, I suspect.

On systems that can boot from CD you can omit the floppy and it boots
faster.

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: Dirk Groeneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: optimizing kernelbuild
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:38:47 +0100

[fassssssst with compilerflags]

José Luis Domingo López wrote:
> You should also try improving your compiler. There are two proejcts out
> thers (PentiumGCC and AthlonGCC) that have patches against egcs (or gcc,
> don't remember) to optimize the resulting code for newer processors.
>
> It's said that there are important improvements in speed. Add using
> optimization to this and you'll get the most out of your CPU.

I downloaded and installed it, but how do I benchmark it?

Dirk

------------------------------

From: Edward M. Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: konqueror question
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:43:15 GMT

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, which mirror did you use to download the KDE 2 sources?
I tried a few weeks to download them and ran into a number of problems with
very poor, connexions, slow and broken downloads. Dial up is part of the
problem but I've heard other folk compalining about this in some other mailing
lists and NGs too. I finally gave up and just installed the Slack binaries on
my Slack partition. I haven't bothered with my RH 6.2 installation yet. The
problem with the Slack binaries is that they contain a number of bugs which
have been fixed on later builds
and they do not have SSL enabled.

Ed

--
   I'm semi-ambidextrous -- equally clumsy with either hand.
Edward M. Collins                       Dearborn, Michigan USA

------------------------------

From: "Bogdan Calmac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Support for CD Writers on the parallel port?
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:07:15 -0800

Does Linux(RedHat) have support for external CD Writers which provide
connection to the parallel port? I suppose there should be some SCSI
emulation on the parallel port.

Thanks,

Bogdan CALMAC.

------------------------------

From: Jonathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: changing path in a script
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:18:10 GMT

From: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part2

2.8)  How do I {set an environment variable, change directory} inside
      a program or shell script and have that change affect my
      current shell?

      In general, you can't, at least not without making special
      arrangements.  When a child process is created, it inherits a
      copy of its parent's variables (and current directory).  The
      child can change these values all it wants but the changes won't
      affect the parent shell, since the child is changing a copy of
      the original data.

      Some special arrangements are possible.  Your child process could
      write out the changed variables, if the parent was prepared to
      read the output and interpret it as commands to set its own
      variables.

      Also, shells can arrange to run other shell scripts in the
      context of the current shell, rather than in a child process, so
      that changes will affect the original shell.

      For instance, if you have a C shell script named "myscript":

        cd /very/long/path
        setenv PATH /something:/something-else

      or the equivalent Bourne or Korn shell script

        cd /very/long/path
        PATH=/something:/something-else export PATH

      and try to run "myscript" from your shell, your shell will fork
      and run the shell script in a subprocess.  The subprocess is also
      running the shell; when it sees the "cd" command it changes *its*
      current directory, and when it sees the "setenv" command it
      changes *its* environment, but neither has any effect on the
      current directory of the shell at which you're typing (your login
      shell, let's say).

      In order to get your login shell to execute the script (without
      forking) you have to use the "." command (for the Bourne or Korn
      shells) or the "source" command (for the C shell).  I.e. you type

        . myscript

      to the Bourne or Korn shells, or

        source myscript

      to the C shell.

      If all you are trying to do is change directory or set an
      environment variable, it will probably be simpler to use a C
      shell alias or Bourne/Korn shell function.  See the "how do I get
      the current directory into my prompt" section of this article for
      some examples.

      A much more detailed answer prepared by
      [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Michanek) can be found at
      ftp.wg.omron.co.jp in /pub/unix-faq/docs/script-vs-env.

==============================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Subject: Re: Scaling images
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:39:44 GMT

Who ever said Aulne couldn't write what follows?:

>Thanks guys.  This is exactly what I needed... and it was all along on my PC
>without me knowing it! Is there somewhere a detailed list (i.e. with a good
>description of what a package can do) of every package included in say, Red
>Hat or SuSE or Mandrake distributions?

A printed manual comes with RedHat, and has such a list at the back. Other
than that, you can enter the RPMS directory on a distribution CD, and type:

rpm -qpi * | lpr

For an extensive listing of the CD's contents. However, probably you don't
have all of the three distributions. I would look on their respective
websites.

--

Bryan Hoyt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

===================================

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Support for CD Writers on the parallel port?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:42:22 GMT

Bogdan Calmac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does Linux(RedHat) have support for external CD Writers which provide
> connection to the parallel port? I suppose there should be some SCSI
> emulation on the parallel port.

Check out:

http://gear.torque.net/parport/cdr.html

Adam

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backup solution at Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 15:51:38 -0500

Carfield Yim wrote:

> I used to use Windows, now I change to linux.
> When using Windows, I like to use a tool call disk copy to backup my
> windows partition. Although it is quite expensive to do so but it worth,
> and save me a lot of time from backup and restore when system have
> problem. Is there are similar tool at linux? Or any other suggestion?

I think the best way, if you do not wish to purchase commercial
software such as BRU, is to use a shell script with find and cpio in
it. Have cron schedule it to run when you are asleep so it does not
get in your way and so you do not annoy it.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Dec 2000 11:56:19 -0900

John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    Floyd> What happens if you do "echo $0" on the command line?
>
>c715466-a:~> echo $0
>tcsh

OK.  I was thinking possibly your invocation of X was starting
you up with a bash shell instead of tcsh, but that shows it isn't.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: dom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome and KDE
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:57:52 -0500

Gnome is pretty darn buggy on my mandrake 7.1 distro, to the point where I
even try to avoid gnome apps in other window managers. Is this just me or is
it the general performance of gnome out there?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: dom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good Linux distro for older Pentium box, your take?
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:00:12 -0500

I was happily using mandrake 7.1 when i decided to "upgrade" to
7.2........much slower and buggier, and KDE2 seems a step backward to me. Now
i am back with 7.1 and it runs fine on my p111600 w/126 megs

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000,
Gerald Pollack wrote: >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"//.././" ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > >> Hi,

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:04:10 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Applixware 5 crashes Red Hat 7

Christopher Wong wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:57:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >C.Wong> Christopher Wong wrote:
..snip...
> Thanks for offering your theories. What I have here is an ATI XPert 98
> video card, which has been around for a while. I am running this on a
> motherboard with a KT133 chipset and a Duron 700 processor. The tricky
> part about blaming the X server is that I have the same problem with 2
> different servers (4.0.1 and 3.3.6). To complicate matters further,
> another Red Hat 7 system does not exhibit this problem. While I have had
> X-related hangs before, this is the first time I have seen a hard reboot
> caused by an application. I am beginning to wonder if this is hardware
> related.

Cygwin's debugger in their Code Fusion causes this on two machines for
me. Stopping a debug reboots both of them. So I paid for their product
but can't use it to debug on either of two machines without instant
reboot. Neither machine shares anything in terms of hardware. The X
Server and several video card changes were made. Those two ran RH 6.1,
now 6.2. So although it could be hardware, I wouldn't conclude such a
thing until you find out what actually fixes it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:09:18 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Christopher Wong wrote:

> This is most unnerving. I recently installed Applixware Office 5.0,
> upgrading from version 4.4.1. I tried the word processor. When I
> selected some text and tried changing the font, Red Hat 7 would
> crash. Hard. The screen goes blank and the machine would suddenly and
> silently (or with a beep) reboot. The file system was not cleanly
> unmounted, so an fsck was forced. This has happened several times, both
> with XFree86 4.0.1 and 3.3.6 servers.
>
> My machine used to run Mandrake 7 before I installed Red Hat 7 over it,
> in case that is relevant. At this point, I don't even know where to
> begin diagnosing this problem. The syslog is useless, since the crash is
> sudden and silent. The only thing I did was to select text in the word
> processor and change the font. I believe I have installed most of Red
> Hat's fixes, including the latest glibc 2.2.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?
>
> Chris

One thing that won't point to the exact failure, but might point at a
particular file, is to try running it under gdb. That might not be too
easy, depending on whether it has forked off first when it fails or not.
But if you are able to do so, you can find out some rough idea of where
it died (having symbols stripped drastically reduces what you can find).
Under a debugger, it is also possible it will change its behavior and
not bring the whole machine down. With any luck, it will name a file or
function at the time of death.