Linux-Misc Digest #496, Volume #26                Fri, 8 Dec 00 16:13:02 EST

Contents:
  MuPAD problem (Joerg Morbitzer)
  Re: A great Shockwave flash movie (Wayne Pollock)
  Need help trying to patch the kernel. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A great Shockwave flash movie (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
  Re: Backup solution at Linux (Frank Miles)
  Deleting zero-sized directory? (Sinner from the Prairy)
  Re: Kernel won't mount raid0 (solved) (Stephan A Suerken)
  Good embedded Linux sites (Joris Lammers)
  Re: Deleting zero-sized directory? (Timo Benk)
  missing bits/*.h files (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: Deleting zero-sized directory? (Sinner from the Prairy)
  forwarding (Michael R. Fox)
  Re: Need help trying to patch the kernel. (Lee Allen)
  Re: Deleting zero-sized directory? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Backup solution at Linux (Lee Allen)
  Re: Good embedded Linux sites (Chris Webster)
  Re: forwarding (Chris Webster)
  Logitech doesn't see the difference between a computer and an operating  (Robert)
  Re: Deleting zero-sized directory? (Robert Wiegand)
  Re: A great Shockwave flash movie (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: How do you get multicast through firewall? ("Send me no Email")
  How to change a user password with one command or script? (Thomas Witkowski)
  Re: A great Shockwave flash movie (Brian V. Smith)
  Re: A great Shockwave flash movie (Brian V. Smith)
  RedHat-6.2 and Intel810 video card?? (Ish Rattan)
  Re: How to change a user password with one command or script? (Timo Benk)
  Re: Middle Button paste suddenly gone !?! (Kevin E Cosgrove)
  Re: How do you get multicast through firewall? (Alex Witt)
  Offix-Trash-2.4-8 ("Gerard Verger")
  MySql is Unstable (Kim Houlne)

From: Joerg Morbitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MuPAD problem
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:14:54 +0100

Hi,

I am just trying to install MuPAD 1.42, the concole mupad
works fine, but when I try to start xmupad, a new window
comes up, see already the prompt, but a second later I get
the error message "The MuPAD Help Tool was stopped
unexpectedly" and I have to stop the application.

I am running kernel 2.4.0test11, SuSE 6.4 and I took the
plain MuPAD binaries for Linux.

Thanks for any help in advance, Joerg.

------------------------------

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A great Shockwave flash movie
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 10:09:19 -0500

Are you nuts?  This isn't a shockwave flash movie, is is a trojan
horse (a virus)!  Did you really send this messsage, or has the virus
sent the message?

Do *NOT* follow Johan's advice, don't download this!

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Need help trying to patch the kernel.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:15:50 GMT

I have:
Dell Optiplex
RH 7.0 (custom install)
Kernel 2.2.16-22

I have installed some software (vmware) and on configuration it tell me
that it has problems working under kernel 2.2.16-22

I downloaded the patch-2.2.17.gz from www.kernel.org.  All the
instructions I have come across say that the original kernel source
should be in the /usr/src/ directory with a slink to /usr/src/linux and
to run 'patch -p0 < patch-2.2.17'.  I don't have any thing in
the /usr/src directory other than a RedHat directory with a bunch of
subdirectories, but no files.

Question:  Where did the RH7.0 install the source files for the
kernel.  Would it just be easier to download the full 2.2.17 kernel,
compile it and go with that, or am I missing something when I am trying
to patch the kernel I have.

I have neither compiled or patched a kernel before so proceedure is new
too me, although I am somewhat familiar with Linux.

Also 2.4 is not out yet is it?

T. Buck.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Stevens ** PLEASE SEE SIG **)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:30:18 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wayne Pollock:

[Snip...]

|> Do *NOT* follow Johan's advice, don't download this!

[Snip...]

I think Johan's being...how shall we say...

>From http://work.ucsd.edu:5141/cgi-bin/http_webster we have:

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) (web1913)

   Facetious \Fa*ce"tious\, a. [Cf. F. fac['e]tieux. See {Faceti[ae]}.]
   1. Given to wit and good humor; merry; sportive; jocular; as, a
   facetious companion.

   2. Characterized by wit and pleasantry; exciting laughter; as, a
   facetious story or reply. -- {Fa*ce"tious*ly}, adv. --
   {Fa*ce"tious*ness}, n.

>From WordNet (r) 1.6 (wn)

   facetious adj : cleverly amusing in tone; "a bantering tone";
   "facetious remarks"; "tongue-in-cheek advice" [syn: {bantering},
   {tongue-in-cheek}]

Pardon the bogus email domain (dseg etc.) in place for spambots.
Really it's (wyrd) at raytheon, dotted with com. DO NOT SPAM IT.
Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions not Raytheon Company.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Subject: Re: Backup solution at Linux
Date: 8 Dec 2000 15:42:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Richard M. Denney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>
>> Carfield Yim wrote:
>> >
>> > I used to use Windows, now I change to linux.
>> > When using Windows, I like to use a tool call disk copy to backup my
>> > windows partition. Although it is quite expensive to do so but it worth,
>> > and save me a lot of time from backup and restore when system have
>> > problem. Is there are similar tool at linux? Or any other suggestion?
>>
>> I think the best way, if you do not wish to purchase commercial
>> software such as BRU, is to use a shell script with find and cpio in
>> it. Have cron schedule it to run when you are asleep so it does not
>> get in your way and so you do not annoy it.
>>
>> --
>>  .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
>>  /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
>> /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
>> ^^-^^ 3:45pm up 3 days, 34 min, 3 users, load average: 4.25, 3.90,
>> 3.83
>
>I do the same thing with find and afio...

Some may find the script 'tob' useful; it is a script that orchestrates
the workings of 'find' and 'afio'.  Should be available with most
distributions.

        -frank

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Deleting zero-sized directory?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:27:34 +0000

Hi,

I have a directory with zero size. And I cannot delete it, even as
root!!!

When I do "ls -ail" I got this:

1 drwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0 Dec  8 09:35 cdrom/
1 dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 Feb  1  2000 cdrom2/

As you can see, a proper directory (cdrom2) has size 2018 and proper
permissions. But "cdrom" refuses to get proper permissions and proper
size. Then, it refuses to be deleted.

Yes, I tried suing as a root, chmoding it or touching it. But nothing
worked.

And I want it removed (or fixed) so I can point my CD to a proper
directory.

Any idea?

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: Stephan A Suerken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel won't mount raid0 (solved)
Date: 08 Dec 2000 18:24:25 +0100

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That's what you need. Even then you will get at most a 30% speedup
> (I've measured).

 I have actually never measured it, also disk access "feels" slightly
faster. For me it's enough to know that it is likely to increase
speed, and then I go with the advantage of having infinite (tm)
diskspace.

 Thanks for your thoughts,

Stephan
--
s-Stephan A Suerken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
s-WWW http://www.fh-worms.de/~inf222

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:47:54 +0100
From: Joris Lammers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Good embedded Linux sites

Hi,

I'm seraching in-depth information about how to embed Linux (e.g.: how
to downscale a Normal Linux distribution) Can anyone give me really good
sites?

Thx,
Joris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timo Benk)
Subject: Re: Deleting zero-sized directory?
Date: 8 Dec 2000 18:05:40 GMT

Hi,

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:27:34 +0000, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
>As you can see, a proper directory (cdrom2) has size 2018 and proper
>permissions. But "cdrom" refuses to get proper permissions and proper
>size. Then, it refuses to be deleted.
>
>Yes, I tried suing as a root, chmoding it or touching it. But nothing
>worked.
>
>And I want it removed (or fixed) so I can point my CD to a proper

already tried e2fsck ?

-timo

--

    .-'~~~-.
   .'o oOOOo`.      | Timo Benk

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: missing bits/*.h files
Date: 08 Dec 2000 19:37:23 +0100

Hi,
I am experiencing a weird problem, in that for some reason I cannot
compile due to missing /usr/include/bits/*.h files. These should be
part of glibc, BUT I am on a libc5-based Slackware 3.6 system... why
are programs looking for glic headers?

It's not simply that I am trying to compile new programs with
hardcoded includes. First, I think that no program includes directly
the bits/ files, these are "internal" glibc headers. Second, I have
the same problem recompiling the kernel (2.2.12), which according to
uname -a I have done 16 times before. I go to /usr/src/linux and just
type "make", thus using my last working configuration. The kernel
complains that uio.h includes bits/uoi.h, which does not exist, and I
do not think ever existed...

Any thoughts?

--
Stefano

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:42:02 +0000

Timo Benk wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:27:34 +0000, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> >As you can see, a proper directory (cdrom2) has size 2018 and proper
> >permissions. But "cdrom" refuses to get proper permissions and proper
> >size. Then, it refuses to be deleted.

> >Yes, I tried suing as a root, chmoding it or touching it. But nothing
> >worked.

> already tried e2fsck ?

Should I go to this extreme? I mean, why should I do this?

> -timo

Thanks for your answer

Salut,
Sinner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael R. Fox)
Subject: forwarding
Date: 08 Dec 2000 13:33:59 -0500

lets say that you send out an email.  then the receiver forwards it to someone else.
is it possible you to always know when and to who the email gets forwarded?  i would
appreciate anyone's help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: Need help trying to patch the kernel.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:45:37 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:15:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I have:
>Dell Optiplex
>RH 7.0 (custom install)
>Kernel 2.2.16-22
>
>I have installed some software (vmware) and on configuration it tell me
>that it has problems working under kernel 2.2.16-22
>
>I downloaded the patch-2.2.17.gz from www.kernel.org.  All the
>instructions I have come across say that the original kernel source
>should be in the /usr/src/ directory with a slink to /usr/src/linux and
>to run 'patch -p0 < patch-2.2.17'.  I don't have any thing in
>the /usr/src directory other than a RedHat directory with a bunch of
>subdirectories, but no files.
>
>Question:  Where did the RH7.0 install the source files for the
>kernel.  Would it just be easier to download the full 2.2.17 kernel,
>compile it and go with that, or am I missing something when I am trying
>to patch the kernel I have.
>
>I have neither compiled or patched a kernel before so proceedure is new
>too me, although I am somewhat familiar with Linux.
>
>Also 2.4 is not out yet is it?

Maybe you didn't install the kernel source.  You have to explicitly
select that during installation -- or later, using rpm.

Under RedHat 6.2 the kernel source ends up exactly where your
documentation indicates: under /usr/src/linux-(version) with a symlink
/usr/src/linux linking to it.

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:49:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

>> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:27:34 +0000, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
>> >As you can see, a proper directory (cdrom2) has size 2018 and proper
>> >permissions. But "cdrom" refuses to get proper permissions and proper
>> >size. Then, it refuses to be deleted.
>
>> >Yes, I tried suing as a root, chmoding it or touching it. But nothing
>> >worked.
>
>> already tried e2fsck ?
>
>Should I go to this extreme?

What's so extreme about it?

>I mean, why should I do this?

Because your filesystem appears to be broken.  Running a
program to check the filesystem integrity is the common-sense
thing to do.  It's hardly "extreme".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  The Korean War must
                                  at               have been fun.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:59:59 GMT

This brings up a question I have been wanting to ask:

What's wrong with tar?

I realize it can't do incremental backups.  But I don't care: My
entire system easily fits on a single DAT cartridge.

I realize it doesn't keep track of which tape was used when & where &
how.  But again, I don't care, because my entire system fits on one
tape.  I just write the date on the tape.

It probably wouldn't be the right solution for backing up a database
that is actively being updated.  But I put my system in single-user
mode for the backup.

Aside from these shortcomings, is there anything wrong with using tar
to backup my Linux system to tape?

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good embedded Linux sites
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 12:14:45 -0700

> I'm seraching in-depth information about how to embed Linux (e.g.: how
> to downscale a Normal Linux distribution) Can anyone give me really good
> sites?

Have you been to http://www.rtlinux.org?

--Chris

        It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

------------------------------

From: Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: forwarding
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 12:15:39 -0700

> lets say that you send out an email.  then the receiver forwards it to someone else.
> is it possible you to always know when and to who the email gets forwarded?  i would
>appreciate anyone's help.

No.

From: Robert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech doesn't see the difference between a computer and an operating
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 19:54:57 GMT

i'm tired of those logitech nazis,

go to http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/mousefiles.cfm

well you see they're offering software support here. as usual, operating
systems are limited to windoze and MacOS -- this isn't the point.

now lets take a look on the link:

windoze links point to mousefiles_pc.cfm

Ok, you get it right? windoze IS NOT an Operating System but a pc, so
i'm currently running Linux on my windoze box.

So they completely ignore what a PC is, do they know what is a Mac?
well perhaps they know what is a mac but you can take for sure they
ignore what MacOS is. This's as real as they provide support for MacOS
and claim to be providing support
for Macintosh.

hello! foolish ignorants! LinuxPPC exists! OpenBSD exists!
<insert your favourite Macintosh supported operating system here>
exists!

------------------------------

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 13:34:13 -0600

Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> > already tried e2fsck ?
>
> Should I go to this extreme? I mean, why should I do this?

The e2fsck program just checks the partition, not formats it.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 Dec 2000 14:59:26 -0500

Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Are you nuts?  This isn't a shockwave flash movie, is is a trojan
> horse (a virus)!

check out this new sandwich that i ate just now ... it's great!

> Did you really send this messsage, or has the virus
> sent the message?

did you even try the sandwich?

> Do *NOT* follow Johan's advice, don't download this!

how can we?  nobody has any idea what flash movie he is refering to.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Send me no Email" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: How do you get multicast through firewall?
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:19:51 -0500

Thanks!

But the only thing on multicast is for NTP, and nothing on IGMP. How do I
handle IGMP from within my private network?

news:PJWX5.2717$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Witkowski)
Subject: How to change a user password with one command or script?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:19:55 GMT

Hi,

I want to change a user password with one script or one command only
with parameters and not by writing it into the running program ( like
with passwd ). For example: "script USERNAME OLDPASSWORD NEWPASSWORD"

How can I do it????

By

Thomas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian V. Smith)
Date: 8 Dec 2000 20:21:17 GMT

By the way, I loved your sandwich!  Needs more mustard, though.

|> check out this new sandwich that i ate just now ... it's great!

Brian V. Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www-epb.lbl.gov/BVSmith
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL; they don't pay me enough for that.
Check out the xfig site at http://www-epb.lbl.gov/xfig

 To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
 glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big
 as it needs to be.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian V. Smith)
Date: 8 Dec 2000 20:19:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Johan Kullstam
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|> Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

|> > Do *NOT* follow Johan's advice, don't download this!
|>
|> how can we?  nobody has any idea what flash movie he is refering to.

Well, we're pretty sure that it *is* the trojan, but the real point is that
it wasn't attached and there was no url so there was no way to "follow Johan's advice
to download" it, therefore Wayne overreacted.

From: Ish Rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat-6.2 and Intel810 video card??
Date: 8 Dec 2000 15:34:37 -0500

Hello,

Just installed RedHat-6.2 on a Gateway-ES1400 Celeron Based box.
It has an Intel 810/4Mb RAM/AGP video card on mother board. The card
is not recognized/visible in the output of "demsg | more"? Any ideas
how make the system detect the card? Does the kernel (2.2.14-5 now)
have to be upgraded for this to happen?

Please help.

- ishwar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timo Benk)
Date: 8 Dec 2000 20:36:34 GMT

Hi,

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:19:55 GMT, Thomas Witkowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I want to change a user password with one script or one command only
>with parameters and not by writing it into the running program ( like
>with passwd ). For example: "script USERNAME OLDPASSWORD NEWPASSWORD"
>
>How can I do it????
You can use the RedHat passwd binary.

echo PASSWORD | /usr/bin/passwd root --stdin

-timo

--

    .-'~~~-.
   .'o oOOOo`.      | Timo Benk
  ;~~~-.oOo   o`.   | Germany
   `. \ ~-.  oOOo.  | Registered Linux User #186431
     `.; / ~.  OO:  |
     .'  ;-- `.o.'  |
    ,' ; ~~--'~     | Fax/Voicemail:    +49891488214215
    ;  ;            |
_\\;_\\//_

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin E Cosgrove)
Subject: Re: Middle Button paste suddenly gone !?!
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:41:29 GMT

I rulled out the hardware trouble, since the middle button works
for some things, like the window manager features.  I used
'find' to determine which files had changed on my system in
the last couple days, nothing related to keyboard, X, or mouse
configuration had changed.  I discovered that my mouse was acting
like a 2-button mouse, where the two outside buttons emulate the
middle one.  I tried restarting X before even posting about this
trouble, but that didn't fix it.  Last night I rebooted, and all
is well now.  I'm glad it works, but I wish I understood fully
what happened -- that's not likely to happen.

Thanks for the help....

From: Alex Witt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.firewalls
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:34:22 -0500

You might try: http://www.linux.com/howto/Multicast-HOWTO.html

------------------------------

From: "Gerard Verger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Offix-Trash-2.4-8
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:56:25 +0500

I just installed the package Offix-Trash-2.4-8 (Drag & Drop files into
the trash) on a RedHat 6.2. I can't find any indication how to install
the Drag & Drop procedure properly, even in the INSTALL and
README files. The Trash application is on the system menu and...
When I click on it, I get a window with Undelete, Delete, Delete All,
Confirm options, and...I have even tried the option «trash -ic» without
any success. I am a newbie with Linux but I already have installed
some softwares, seeming at the beginning more complexes, without
any problem and I am stucked with this stupid one. Can anyone
help me please? Thanks.

Gerard Verger

------------------------------

From: Kim Houlne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MySql is Unstable
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:04:42 -0600

We are in the process of redesigning a couple of database programs on
our website.  We use the Linux platform.  One the the programmers that
we received a bid from states " that when using MySql on Linux it is
slow and changes are hard to make.  We can make it work by hardcoding,
but it is not scalable.  Also MySql is not set up to be a business level
database.

How valid do you think this statement is?  And, if it is not valid can
you tell me why?