Linux-Misc Digest #549, Volume #26               Fri, 15 Dec 00 02:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Anybody know how to get an answering machine running on Linux? (Kenny Pearce)
  Mandrake 7.1 & CUPS Printing ver 1.1.4 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  oaf & GConf (Jay&Shell)
  Lexar Jumpshot + Linux? (The Real Bev)
  Re: Need Help with PASSWD! Urgent! (Mostyn BRAMLEY-MOORE)
  Re: insmod tulip.o failed on RH 7.0 (Christopher Wong)
  Switching to Linux (acoolguy)
  How to rename many files with a blank to ones with _ at a time? (Daisuke Kanzaki)
  Duplicate a sample setup environment (RH mkkickstart) (* Tong *)
  Re: How to rename many files with a blank to ones with _ at a time? (Dances With
Crows)
  Re: Switching to Linux (Graham Wilson)
  Re: COREL detected my Winmodem! But... (glitch)
  System crash ("Harry E. Allen, III")
  root login fails on tty11/12 (Tyler Larson)
  Re: RealPlayer and Mandrake 7.1 (E J)
  CUPS and RH7 (Matthew B)
  Re: root login fails on tty11/12 (Matt Haley)
  Re: Mandrake 7.1 & CUPS Printing ver 1.1.4 (r1ckey)
  Re: How to rename many files with a blank to ones with _ at a time? (Daisuke Kanzaki)

From: Kenny Pearce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Anybody know how to get an answering machine running on Linux?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:58:17 -0800

webbgroup wrote:

> I have read the manual but it say to record the greeting file using vm
>
> I used the syntax >vm record greeting.file
> But it looked like it didn't do anything when I was pressed ENTER. It
> didn't prompt me to start talking or anything.
>
> I also looked at the file afterwards as well and the size was zero. So
> I know it didn't do anything.
>
> Any Ideas guys??
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > I know about the mgetty tutorial, but does anybody know of any
> > > tutorials on how to get an answering machine running on Linux?? I
> have
> > > Redhat 7.0 and I also have mgetty as well.
> > >
> > > Much is appreciated if you know of some software that is already out
> > > there or of a url I can look at.
> > >

> > http://alpha.greenie.net/vgetty
> >
> > --
> >
> > Vladimir
> >

> --
>   ^*
>  0 0    Happy Holidays!!
> ( V )
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

I have a pretty good guess.. Linux generally doesn't prompt you at all, it
figures that if you issued the command, you probably (hopefully) know what
it does. So, I imagine, you just start talking after issuing the command
and then hit ctrl + c when you're done. try it anyway... read all related
man pages (man page for any command used anywhere in the process) and you
should be able to find out for sure what your supposed to do after typing
that command...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mandrake 7.1 & CUPS Printing ver 1.1.4
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:05:17 GMT

Help, I can set up a printer and print a test page, but when trying to
print in Mandrake 7.2 I get an error. Also in Star Office 5.2, tries to
print but nothing?
Thanks for any help, A linux Newbie,, David

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Jay&Shell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: oaf & GConf
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:23:30 GMT

I have compiled oaf 0.6.1? latest one anyway
When I ./configure the GConf I get:
The oaf-config script installed by OAF could not be found
If OAF was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
your path, or set the OAF_CONFIG environment variable to the
full path to oaf-config.
configure:error: OAF not found or too old

I'm lost from here. oaf installed itself into /usr/local/bin

------------------------------

From: The Real Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lexar Jumpshot + Linux?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:38:55 -0800

Has anybody got one -- or any other USB compact flash reader -- to work?
If so, I'll give more details...

Bev
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"I read about this syndrome called hypochondria in a
 magazine. I think I've got it."     -- David Ashley

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mostyn BRAMLEY-MOORE)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need Help with PASSWD! Urgent!
Date: 15 Dec 2000 03:55:35 GMT

>However rlogin works if you specify the user name
>on the command line, eg
>
>rlogin hostname -l username
>
>Otherwise the username and password combination will
>not work.

ssh/rlogin will use your username on the current machine for the login
on the remote machine, -l username will override this.  It's not a bug.

m.
--
       ._      ._      ._      ._
   _.-._)`\_.-._)`\_.-._)`\_.-._)`\_.-._

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong)
Subject: Re: insmod tulip.o failed on RH 7.0
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 04:11:28 GMT

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:45:01 +0100, Jeffrey Rose
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Sudhakar R." wrote:
>>
>> I'm having trouble getting my RedHat 7.0 linux box to load the tulip.o
>> module for my ethernet card.
>>
>> On booting i get the following error...
>>
>> bringing up interface eth0: insmod /...../tulip.o failed
>>
>> Any help in getting this to work will be highly appreciated

(...)
>To repeat: this is a flaw that was introduced with Red Hat 7.0. It is a
>Red Hat configuration problem, not a driver update distribution bug. The
>symptom of this bug is compile error messages such as
>
>tulip.c: In function `tulip_open':
>tulip.c:1437: structure has no member named `tbusy'
>tulip.c:1438: structure has no member named `start'
(...)

Your explanation would apply if one is trying to compile the tulip
driver. However, the tulip.o module already comes correctly precompiled
with RH7. It looks like the person is having trouble loading an
already-compiled module. He is not trying to build it.

All I can say concerning the original problem is that this same driver
works fine for me on Red Hat 7 out of the box. I would suggest doing an
"insmod tulip" as root to see what the error messages are. I don't think
the above is enough information to diagnose the problem.

Chris

------------------------------

From: acoolguy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Switching to Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 04:30:09 -0000

I currently have a computer with a celeron processor, 32MB RAM, and Win98.
I am considering switching to Linux since I have heard so much about its
performance as compared to the Win OS and many other OSs for that matter. I
have also noticed that many serious computer gurus are running Linux. Now I
have several question so that I can determine if this is a suitable option
for me:

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to switching from Win to Linux
and vice versa? Why do most people switch in the first place?

2. What is the difference between Linux and Unix?

3. If I finally decide to switch, I am worried about the fact that I have
many important files on my computer that are only compatible with MS
Office. I am aware that there are free programs avaliable for Linux, that
would allow me do word processing, etc., but is there anyway to convert my
files? Also we have PCs and MACs at school, I can currently work on the
same files at home and at school,would Linux allow me to do this?

4. If I decide to make the big switch where do I get the software, what
version should I get? How do I install it, as I have never formatted my
hard drive, etc? Where do I get other software that I might need? Do I need
to worry about drivers,say for my printer?

5. I have a 56k (winmodem, I think?) and I am currently using a couple of
free ISPs,what are my options under Linux?

6. Did I miss anything?

If anyone can help me answer these questions or point me in the right
direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your time
and consderation!

From: Daisuke Kanzaki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to rename many files with a blank to ones with _ at a time?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:15:53 +0900

Hi,
I am a little at a loss how to rename many many files including
a blank to ones including _ at a time.

For examples, I would like to rename one file including a
blank to the one including _ at a time as shown below.

   mv abc def.jpg abc_def.jpg

Does anybody know how to reduce this input workload?

Daisuke Kanzaki

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Duplicate a sample setup environment (RH mkkickstart)
Date: 15 Dec 2000 00:58:49 -0400

Hi,

How can I setup a sample environment (meaning carefully pick the
right packages to install, not much not less) and then do further
installation based on this sample environment?

Seems to me that in RedHat I can use "mkkickstart" to do it, but
reading the man page gave my no clue how to do it.

How can I do it, w/ or w/o mkkickstart? Note keeping a
"configuration" is far more space-saving than keeping a installed
Linux system. This is my goal. Thanks for your help!

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 15 Dec 2000 05:04:19 GMT

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:15:53 +0900, Daisuke Kanzaki staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>I am a little at a loss how to rename many many files including
>a blank to ones including _ at a time.
>For examples, I would like to rename one file including a
>blank to the one including _ at a time as shown below.
>
>   mv abc def.jpg abc_def.jpg
>
>Does anybody know how to reduce this input workload?

for i in *" "* ; do
   j=`echo $i | sed -e "s/ /_/g" `
   mv "$i" "$j"
   done

The quoting is kind of important here.  This assumes you're using bash,
but there are similar workarounds for tcsh, zsh, ksh, and whatever.  As
a bash junkie, I'll leave those to others....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Graham Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching to Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:41:46 -0800

acoolguy wrote:

> I currently have a computer with a celeron processor, 32MB RAM, and Win98.
> I am considering switching to Linux since I have heard so much about its
> performance as compared to the Win OS and many other OSs for that matter. I
> have also noticed that many serious computer gurus are running Linux. Now I
> have several question so that I can determine if this is a suitable option
> for me:
>
> 1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to switching from Win to Linux
> and vice versa? Why do most people switch in the first place?

Advantages:
- too numerous to count (I mean it!)
Disadvantages:
- steep initial learning curve (worth every second of effort)
- some problems with hardware compatibility (this will get better as
manufacturers get on side, and drivers get written (it's not as much of
a problem as it was even a few months ago))

> 2. What is the difference between Linux and Unix?

Linux is free and runs on PCs - you will be the administrator of a
small, very Unix-like system.

> 3. If I finally decide to switch, I am worried about the fact that I have
> many important files on my computer that are only compatible with MS
> Office. I am aware that there are free programs avaliable for Linux, that
> would allow me do word processing, etc., but is there anyway to convert my
> files? Also we have PCs and MACs at school, I can currently work on the
> same files at home and at school,would Linux allow me to do this?

The best way to solve this problem is to run both systems in the
beginning.  Once you become comfortable with Linux and see its
advantages, you will slowly wean yourself from the other os.

> 4. If I decide to make the big switch where do I get the software, what
> version should I get? How do I install it, as I have never formatted my
> hard drive, etc? Where do I get other software that I might need? Do I need
> to worry about drivers,say for my printer?

I got 3 CDs from CheapBytes for about $10.  They contained the complete
Debian Linux distribution and a pile of other stuff.  All the software
you will ever need is on the net.

> 5. I have a 56k (winmodem, I think?) and I am currently using a couple of
> free ISPs,what are my options under Linux?

You'll need to get a new modem if you do have one of those pathetic
crippled pieces of misery.  I use a USR Sportster fax/data modem but any
REAL modem will work.

> 6. Did I miss anything?
>
> If anyone can help me answer these questions or point me in the right
> direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your time
> and consderation!

        The first thing you will need to do is get some documentation.  The
Linux Documentation Project has it all.  I recommend the
DOS-Win-to-Linux HOWTO as a good place to start.  You can dig around the
files on the LDP site for quite a while before you uncover the answers
to all your questions, but they're probably there.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:06:34 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: COREL detected my Winmodem! But...

same settings as what Windows uses, if u have windows on that same
machine

------------------------------

From: "Harry E. Allen, III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System crash
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 04:59:29 GMT

I have used Linux for about nine months so I consider myself still new
to the game.  I run Redhat 6.2 on a 333MHz Pentium.  64MBytes ram,  and
a 4 GB hard drive.  I use a cable modem and road runner service.

My questions:
1.  Is anyone else having problems with the rpm distrubtion of netscape
4.76?
    a.  /tmp/ndebug has to be manually removed each time someone logs
into the machine unless they were the last to use it.
    b.  Netscape never seems to find the home page (yahoo.com in my
case) when it starts now.

2.  I have had several occaisions where my hard drive takes off and will
not stop.  The only resolution I ahve found is to physically turn off
the machine.  I don't like that answer.  It was happening about every 30
- 40 days, but it is increasing in frequency.  should I look at
replacing the controller, is it another bug from netscape ( it seems
more often than not that I am running netscape when this happens) or am
I being attacked.  Checking my log files, I have found at least one
instance where someone was trying to execute a dump() on my system.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.  If this is not the appropriate
forum, I would appreciate any friendly advice as to where to take it....

Harry Allen

From: Tyler Larson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: root login fails on tty11/12
Date: 15 Dec 2000 06:04:03 GMT

I recently modified my inittab file so that it runs gettys on F11 and F12.
It all works fine and dandy, just as I had expected, except it doesn't
allow me to login as root on those last two-- just F1-F6.  I imagine that
there's some security lockout that specifies which ttys I can log in on
as root, but I'm not sure where that data would be stored.  Any suggestions?
Or am I way off?

I'm running RH6.2 with kernel 2.2.18 (horray for USB support!)

BTW, here are the lines from /etc/inittab (for what its worth)
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
11:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty11
12:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty12

And is there any way to use more than 12 local login sessions?  Not
that I'd need to, but I'd heard that you can have a whole slew of 'em.
I can't figure out how you'd access them, though.  I only see 12 function
keys.  :-)

--
Tyler Larson  |  http://www.tlarson.com  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Time and tide wait for no man.

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RealPlayer and Mandrake 7.1
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 06:25:12 GMT

Don't do a dependency check (and force the install?) when doing a rpm
install.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:40:46 +1100
From: Matthew B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CUPS and RH7

Hello,
         does CUPS run ok on Red Hat 7.x ?

------------------------------

From: Matt Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root login fails on tty11/12
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:56:18 -0700

Tyler Larson wrote:

> I recently modified my inittab file so that it runs gettys on F11 and F12.
> It all works fine and dandy, just as I had expected, except it doesn't
> allow me to login as root on those last two-- just F1-F6.  I imagine that

Add tty11 and tty12 to /etc/securetty.

--
Matt Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: r1ckey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.1 & CUPS Printing ver 1.1.4
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 06:59:29 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Help, I can set up a printer and print a test page, but when trying to
> print in Mandrake 7.2 I get an error. Also in Star Office 5.2, tries to
> print but nothing?
> Thanks for any help, A linux Newbie,, David
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/
Sounds like you're using CUPS and ESP PrintPro, did you install a
license?  If you use the CUPS WWW admin tool and follow the "license"
links, you can get and install the demo license...

From: Daisuke Kanzaki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:52:08 +0900

I appreciate your very helpful advice to my question.
This can help my input workload.
Thanks a million.