  Re: Need programming help (Gary Momarison)

From: "OmniČ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ...
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 02:38:15 +1100

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote in message ...
>On Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:11:25 +1100, OmniČ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>ans have only just instaled redhat 5.2
>>and cant even get connected to the net
>>I dont even know how to create a file
>>like the copy con command in dos
>
>Can we help it if you can't read the manual, or any of the
>documentation?

yeah?
show me where in the help or man commands
it tells you how to create a text file
and  how to access the cd rom as root , after instalation?

it doesnt !

btw
win98 has no trouble doing 10 things at once on my system
and I think I will stick with it
I have nothing to prove
and I can do just as much with a working knowledge of C
and the winsock api

I had to see it for myself
this all happened tonight
after years of putting it off
10 minutes after instalation and booting for the 1st time
I had lost interest
its just way to unfriendly for a new user
at least MS hides the techical shit from the new user
and makes it work just the same
until that user decides to show some interest and do some research
or reverse S/W engineering and tweak the OS himself
I feel that is a more sensible approach

and a time + $$ saver in the long run

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (djb)
Subject: Listing directories (easy question....)
Date: 10 Jan 1999 17:20:36 GMT

I know this probably sounds silly, but how do you list just the
sub-directories in a directory?

I've tried reading the man page for ls and the entries in Que's Using Linux,
but all they suggest is ls -d.

All this gives is the current directory only, which is not what I want.
The only way I can get it to work is by 'ls -lF | grep /', which is OK,
(although it includes symbolic links as well).

I must be doing something wrong, but I just can't see what.  Please help...

Thanks,

David.

------------------------------

From: "OmniČ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:21:31 +1100

Sechylmanos wrote in message ...
>In article <2j3m2.155$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "OmniČ"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

permissions on the CD-ROM?  Are you sure it's at /dev/hdb?  did you
>remember to type 'cd /dev/hdb'?  I have gotten my share of permission
>denied messages, and I have figured out why, and solved the problem.  It
>is that simple.

thanks anyway
I tried it but it said permission denied
it even says it when i go to dev/hda
or cd /dev/hda

I mean what kind of OS dosent allow the owner access to his/her hd??
please tell me
I feel locked out of my own system
lol

I know my install is OK
coz everything else works fine

its just frustrating thats all
sorry if i sound rude
i thought everyone here could handle a little street lingo
obviously I was wrong
arnt all you guys ex hippies?

------------------------------

From: "Richard Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: sbin directories (Was: Anti-Linux FUD)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:29:40 -0000

Paul Martin wrote:

>Eh? That's odd:
>
>$ ls -l /usr/bin/superformat
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        49692 Sep  8 12:03 /usr/bin/superformat
>$ superformat /dev/fd0
>Formatting cylinder 59, head 1
>
>Notice that superformat (fdformat is now old) is not suid, and I'm not
>running as superuser.

Do a 'which superformat' to make sure you haven't got another suid
copy lying around.

Also which group is that user you are using in? Group 0?

--
Cheers,  Richard Wood

Home Cinema FAQ : http://www.therock.force9.co.uk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: PATH statement screwed up!!!
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:23:00 GMT

Ok everyone,

I installed some software and one of the software packages screwed up my PATH
statement. I can see why it screwed up, but the problem is is that I am not
sure WHERE the PATH in the startup scripts is screwing up. I did a grep in the
/etc file and the /etc/sysinit directories, but I *STILL* can't find where it
is screwing up. Does Linux have some sort of "debug" mode where it will pause
every time the PATH statement is being modified?

Anyone else know of another way to find out where my PATH statement is being
screwed up?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (zentara)
Subject: Re: Netscape  Communicator Hangs
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:37:01 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:49:53 -0500, "R. Manmatha"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>zentara wrote:
>>

>> I have seen some weird behavior with 4.5.
>> My problem used to be a complete netscape shutdown,
>> when clicking on a "mailto:", with the message only
>> saying "bus error".
>>  That problem has disappeared after some upgrading,
>> I don't know why.
>
>I have this problem with 4.5 one one of my machines when I try
>to send mail. Do you remember what you upgraded?

Well, I upgraded my motherboard to a pc-100 board, and that
required me to upgrade to the XFree86.3.3.3 SVGA server
to use the onboard AGP card.

I'm using Suse and the new SVGA server fixed the "mailto"
problem, but it is the libc5 version of XFree86.3.3.3 SVGA server.

I have a redhat 5.2 running on a spare partition, with the glibc based
XFree86.3.3.3 SVGA server, and there are no problems at all

------------------------------

From: "OmniČ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:36:26 +1100

Christian Grau Jacobsen wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> ans have only just instaled redhat 5.2
>> and cant even get connected to the net
>
>Well, I'm afraid that says more about your computer knowledge than Linux.
>Try using the full featured PPP "wizard" in the control-panel and you
>should be right on. Of course, if you're any good, youll do it in hand by
>editing rc files and linking /dev/ttySx to your modem device.

I did that
and it all checks out at boot
but what is the damm command to connect to the net!!!!
as I didnt set it for auto connect , thats not what i want
i like to connect when I want to - its a control thing
like in win98 I just click an icon
do I have to type 100 or so characters with foward slashs every so often
just to log on?

>> I dont even know how to create a file
>> like the copy con command in dos
>
>And of course the first time you sat in front of a M$ loaded machine you
>just digged in and type "copy con" to get a new file, right ? The command
>is so intuitive that a retarded movie star on crack could figure it out,
>right ?

I guess I'm quick to forget
I remember peter norton was a big help
wish he'd write a linux primer

>> this is like learning chinese
>> nothing makes sense
>
>Did M$ make since the first 50 times you used it ? Is "dir" a more obvious
>command than "ls" ? Give it a little time and you'll find yourself doing

actually I smiled when dir (enter)  worked
kinda felt at home
and yes dir is more obvious
however "list"  would be better

>actual compuring instead of pointing and clicking. And of course the main
>benefit is that you'll finally get rid of the pathetic Blue Screen, the

funnily enough , after 9 years of using windows I dont get that blue screen
anymore

>obnoxious "please install IE 4 to proceed", the "please reboot your system

I dont use IE , I prefer doing all my tasks manually
telnetting to the the appropiate port
believe it or not
I dont use a mouse in win except to log on  :)

>to get this new mouse driver working"....the list goes on and on.

uhm PnP doesnt require a reboot for a mouse
(sorry to get technichal)

>> I've never paid for a MS product either
>> so whats the dif???
>
>Hmm...
>
>> I'll stick to NT and win98
>> I can do just as much with a c complier and winsock
>> than gnu and linsux
>
>LOL. Now here's a statement worth arguing about, but since you're so hot in
>programming, try recompiling the NT kernel to leave out support for PCMCIA
>cards. It can be a little tricky, but since you're such a programmer it
>shouldn't be a problem.

would you like some help in that dept?
its not as hard as you think
once your used to it
I guess the same arguement goes for unix

From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cryptographic extensions to Linux kernel
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:30:36 -0330

Hello,

Just wanted to ask a few questions about the

cryptographic extensions to the Linux kernel:

1) What are they for and what do they do?

2) Where can I get them from?

TIA,

Neil

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: My PATH statment is screwed up
Date: 10 Jan 1999 09:41:42 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I insatlled a program and it totally screwed up my PATH statement. I know
> what is wrong with the PATH statement itself, but I am not sure where in the
> startup its screwing up. I tried grepping the /etc and the /etc/sysinit
> folders, but I can't find out where the PATH is being screwed up.

Read the man page of your default shell (eg, bash) to determine what files
it uses during startup (eg, /etc/profile*, /etc/bashrc, ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc).

Scatter some statements like this through these files to determine
when PATH is going bad:

echo "From $0 at $(date) in dir $(pwd)." >>/var/tmp/PATH-debug

--
Linux Info: Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/

------------------------------

From: "James Holbrook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarOffice 50 , where to get?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:43:02 -0700

Hello all;

Being fairly new to Linux, I need to ask if someone can point me to the
StarOffice site to download 5.0. Can't seem to find it in a search of the
net. All I get is earlier version sites or they are in German(which I can't
read)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: how do you do that 'fortune login' trick correctly?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:16:08 GMT

Right now I have fortune called in my .bashrc

But this way my users get a fortune: when they login, when they open a Xterm,
and they get two when they exit Xwindows.

I just want one fortune to come up at login and no more that sesion.

One of my books says to put a line into my '.login' file.  Well, I don't have
one on RedHat 5.2.  If I write one where should it go?

Thanks in advance, Tone

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: Need programming help
Date: 10 Jan 1999 16:28:59 GMT

Jan Panteltje ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: You may get an answere by posting to comp.os.linux.development.apps

Also, there's a ng dedicated to the gcc compiler (they'll point out, with
great enthusiasm, calls that aren't valid under gcc).  I forget the name
of the ng, just search for "gcc".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Announce: New Unix/Linux Jobs and Resume Board
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:17:28 GMT

Welcome to 1999, we are getting even more international posts for Job offers
as well as resumes, the year is starting off GREAT.

Please remember that you can also post your job offer or resume in HTML if you
choose to do so.

The Automatic EMAIL notification list is growing, this option will send you an
EMAIL the instant a message is posted so you will be aware of ANY new messages
posted on the board, without the need to check !

Many people who visit the board do not realize that we also have a search
area that can locate Unix/Linux consultants, consulting, resumes, jobs, and
news via ALL the major search engines with one CLICK.

As in 1998, we are currently keeping this service free for all the members of
the Unix/Linux community, this includes employers, agents as well as job
seekers.
New in 1999 is our banner ads service, if you have questions on this service
please send an EMAIL for more info.

Again, please let us know what we can do to make this board what it could be,
after all it is for you.

Thanks for making 1998 a success, here is how to get to the Unix/Linux Jobs
and Resumes Board: http://www.programming-services.com/unix/index,shtml

Thanks, and may the year 2000, be as smooth as the start of this year

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Crossposted-To:
rec.music.hip-hop,rec.models.rc.air,rec.woodworking,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.europe,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.software.year-2000,alt.prophecies.nostradamus,alt.prophecies.cayce
Subject: Re: CONCLUSIVE PROOF: Jesus *is* King of the Jews  !  !   !
Date: 10 Jan 1999 16:26:02 GMT

NRus7810 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Why in the world would you ever publish information like this in our hobby
: enthusiasts only/rc flyers newsgroup?  I doubt that there is one soul who
: thinks you have any sanity or, have offered anything even somewhat related to
: what we do for a wholesome, clean, fun hobby!  Norm (RedLead1)

Do people realize how many groups your crossposting this shit to?  Read
the header before you post.

From: Richard Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: StarOffice5 Hangs In RedHat 5.1 w/5.2 Kernel
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:48:43 +0000

Hello...

I'm a new Linux user running RedHat 5.1 using the  5.2 kernel on a NEC
Versa LX...   things have been going well except with StarOffice5  -
StarOffice hangs and must be killed - seems to happen more in the HTML
writer though also has occured in the Text Writer - I am able to kill
StarOfiice and the hang does not seem to affect other apps - but it is
vexing - the install went perfectly without any events or errors - help!

My hope is that StarOffice is the versatile piece of software that will
help me sell a migration away from Wintel PC's at work where we use a
SCO Unix box  to run a vertical industry package - the PC's do office
functions (spreadsheets/WP/HTML in WYSIWYG mode) and serve as emulated
Wyse60 terminals...

Thanks...

Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install
Subject: does the Diamond SupraExpress 56i Modem do linux?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:30:44 GMT

Is my Diamond SupraExpress 56i Modem a WinModem?  Diamond won't answer my
questions.

If it is, what would be a good, hassle free modem to buy for RedHat 5.2?

From: Richard Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wyse60 Emulator
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 17:56:51 +0000

Hello...

Looking for a full featured Wyse60 emulator that runs under Linux...
we connect to a SCO Unix  running a vertical public warehousing
package...   the emulator  needs the ability to map keyboard and use
the  printer as a local SCO printer receiving the SCO print data...
and map colors for foreground, background, blink, reverse, etc.

Thanks!

Richard

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Jan 1999 09:59:32 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm fairly new to the Linux/Unix programming environment and I could
> sure use some help.
>
> I'm in the middle of a project which entails porting a program from
> AIX to Linux. I have finally go it to compile but the binary is
> hanging on a system function call and I am stuck.

Just general suggestions here.  Of course, books are good.  And in
this level of programming, the best course is often to just hunt down
some code that might be doing something similar to what you're doing
and try to learn from it.

Of course, with the way almost everybody copyrights and licences
code, you can't just copy their code. Ya gotta learn the method
and recode from scratch, unless you want to jump through the
licencing hoops, which in the case of GPL or LGPL means you've
got to release everything you write under the same licence so
nobody can freely copy your code either.

You can find some related resourses in Gary's Encyclopedia at:

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/programming.html
http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/device-drivers.html