From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael R. Fox)
Subject: mail
Date: 25 Dec 2000 00:13:35 -0500

Does mail make a copy of sent mail?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cdrom driver
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 05:15:41 GMT

Hello,

I have momitsu cdm-j514.  works fine with win98.  I installed debian
2.2.17 and boot up shows hdb as cdrom atapi with some uniform version.
I am unable to mount it as I donot know how to mount it to what.  I
donot have /dev/cdrom and donnot know how to make one as probably need
appropriate driver for it or may be in modconf/cdrom selection one
would be created on successful loading.  I tried to install each cdrom
driver but all failed.

I checked on yahoo for momitsu and found that company is out of
business.  could one guide how to get this cdrom drive to work with
linux/debian 2.2.17.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Can this be done?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew N. McGuire)
Date: 25 Dec 2000 00:13:35 -0600

Y> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Y> --------------B866A9E23ACB0CF3BAA0C31B

This is bad. :-(

Y> Hi,

Saluations!

Y> I am trying to write a simple RPM script for Wine package (be it sed,
Y> perl, awk, etc.) to capture linked files in some directories and
Y> recreate such links on other directory.  For instance, the Wine package
Y> produces a lot of linked files in its lib directory as shown in the
Y> attachment (not to mention the bin directory where a lot of linked files
Y> are linked to wine file).  In order to package Wine using RPM, I should
Y> be able to recapture the linked files and create such linked files after
Y> the Wine RPM package is installed.

Y> I am a no expert in sed, perl, awk, or any other script guru.  I am
Y> hoping someone here can help me to write or come out with such a
Y> script.  TIA.

[ big snip ]

I am afraid I am a little clear on what you are trying to do, is this it?

find source -type l | cpio -pdum target

to copy the links from source to target, creating nodes as needed.

anm

--
perl -wMstrict -e '
$a=[[qw[J u s t]],[qw[A n o t h e r]],[qw[P e r l]],[qw[H a c k e r]]];$.++

------------------------------

From: Srihari Vijayaraghavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Install KDE2.0.1 over KDE1.1
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 18:05:32 +1100

Srihari Vijayaraghavan wrote:

> dad wrote:
>
> > How do I install KDE2.0.1 over KDE1.1.2.  Whenever I try with the U or F
> > option I receive errors about library dependencies for KDE1.1.2 and when
> > I try -ivh I get errors about file conflicts with the KDE1.1.2
> > installation.  I have tried to remove KDE1.1.2 and get dependency
> > errors.
> >
> > I need help, I have RH6.2 and installed qt2.2.1 and libmng 0.9.2.
> >
> Hello,
>
> You need to un-install all the kde*, qt*, libmng* and flex* rpms first.
> Yes you will come across many dependency issues, then you need to
> un-install those conflicting rpms first, and continue on.
>
> If you manage to remove all the above mentioned packages, then installing
> KDE 2.0.1 is really a one line command ie, # rpm -ivvh *rpm
>
> You are likely to face KDE start-up issues, but you can get plenty of
> clues from /var/log/messages, and solve all of them.

Hello,

Ok. Here is the complete detailed instruction. Sorry about the long e-mail.

I. Downloaded KDE2.0.1, which includes the following packages
1. flex-2.5.4a-13.i386.rpm
2. kdeadmin-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
3. kdebase-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
4. kdegames-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
5. kdelibs-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
6. kdelibs-devel-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
7. kdelibs-sound-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
8. kdelibs-sound-devel-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
9. kdemultimedia-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
10. kdenetwork-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
11. kdenetwork-ppp-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
12. kdepim-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
13. kdesupport-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
14. kdesupport-devel-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
15. kdetoys-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
16. kdeutils-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
17. koffice-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
18. libmng-0.9.2-1.i386.rpm
19. libmng-devel-0.9.2-1.i386.rpm
20. libmng-static-0.9.2-1.i386.rpm
21. qt-2.2.1-1.6x.i386.rpm
22. qt-Xt-2.2.1-1.6x.i386.rpm
23. qt-designer-2.2.1-1.6x.i386.rpm
24. qt-devel-2.2.1-1.6x.i386.rpm
25. qt-static-2.2.1-1.6x.i386.rpm

II. Disabled the "/etc/X11/prefdm" on /etc/inittab file,
   and executed #init q  (This ensures that Kde does not run while
un-installation and installation of kde related packages)

III. Un-installed a lot of qt*, kde* packages using the following commands:
1. # rpm -e switchdesk-kde-2.1-1
2. # rpm -e kdeutils-1.1.2-4
3. # rpm -e kdenetwork-1.1.2-13
4. # rpm -e autorun-2.61-1
5. # rpm -e kdemultimedia-1.1.2-7
6. # rpm -e kdegraphics-1.1.2-3
7. # rpm -e kdebase-lowcolor-icons-1.1.2-33
8. # rpm -e kdpms-0.2.8-1
9. # rpm -e kdebase-1.1.2-33
10. # rpm -e kdeadmin-1.1.2-6
11. # rpm -e kdelibs-devel-1.1.2-15
12. # rpm -e korganizer-1.1.2-3
13. # rpm -e kpackage-1.3.10-3
14. # rpm -e kpilot-3.1b9-4
15. # rpm -e kpppload-1.04-10
16. # rpm -e kdelibs-1.1.2-15
17. # rpm -e kdesupport-devel-1.1.2-12
18. # rpm -e kdesupport-1.1.2-12
19. # rpm -e qt-devel-2.1.0-4.beta1
20. # rpm -e qt-2.1.0-4.beta1
21. # rpm -e qt-1x-devel-1.45-3
22. # rpm -e flex-2.5.4a-9

IV. Installed the following packages from RedHat 6.2 installation CDROM
(from RedHat/RPMS/i386 directory)
# rpm -ivvh openssl*

V. Now installed KDE2.0.1 packages, using the following command:
 # rpm -ivvh *rpm

VI. Now check if all the packages have been installed successfully by using:
 # rpm -qa | grep <package name>

VII. Now try to start KDE by issuing the following command:
# startx

VIII. Now re-enable the "/etc/X11/prefdm" setting on /etc/inittab file
If it says " Id: x is respawning too fast, disabled for 5 minutes" you have
two options to resolve the problem: 1. Refer /var/log/messages , and fix
all the problem reported there. 2. Alternately I will post the solution
here.

All the Best.
--
Thank you,
Hari.

------------------------------

From: Srihari Vijayaraghavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 18:28:34 +1100

From: Srihari Vijayaraghavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrom driver
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 18:33:02 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have momitsu cdm-j514.  works fine with win98.  I installed debian
> 2.2.17 and boot up shows hdb as cdrom atapi with some uniform version.
> I am unable to mount it as I donot know how to mount it to what.  I
> donot have /dev/cdrom and donnot know how to make one as probably need
> appropriate driver for it or may be in modconf/cdrom selection one
> would be created on successful loading.  I tried to install each cdrom
> driver but all failed.
>
> I checked on yahoo for momitsu and found that company is out of
> business.  could one guide how to get this cdrom drive to work with
> linux/debian 2.2.17.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/
Hello,

Doesn't it work while you try to mount using /dev/hdb?, for eg: # mount
/dev/hdb /mnt

--
Thank you,
Hari.

------------------------------

From: Srihari Vijayaraghavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 18:59:47 +1100

> How can I make sure that non-privilaged users can mount /dev/cdrom too?
>
> It used to work this way, but not any more (after I started treating
> /dev/hdc (cdrom) as a scsi device using scsi emulation)
>
> Thanks
>
> Wroot
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/
Hello,

Add the keyword option "user" in /etc/fstab relating to cdrom.

For eg, my /etc/fstab says,
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0

--
Thank you,
Hari.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kill this thing - how?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 06:43:38 -0500

Floyd Davidson wrote:

> Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >phil wrote:
> >>
> >> Jean-David Beyer -[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]- spewed forth
> >> the following lines of wisdom:
> >>
> >> pstree or ps jax and find the PPID (parent process ID) and kill it.
> >> Phil.
> >
> >I do not dare: it is init (pid 1).
>
> Why not?  It won't kill the D state process (what have you got
> that shows up as D, anyway?), but it won't do much of anything
> else either.

A process gone wrong that runs a DDS-2 tape drive on a narrow SCSI
adapter. Hardly ever happens (months go by between occurrances of this
problem, making debugging difficult).

It has been suggested that I may be having troubles with the SCSI cable
or its termination. The cable is the original that came with the
machine, and the terminator is clearly in place. The (narrow) SCSI
controller is a SYM[20]810 by Symbios (LSI Logic), and the cable has a
terminator at the end, right after the connector that plugs into the
tape drive. Nothing else is on the cable. The SYM810 has an additional
connector at the back of the computer where I suppose I could plug other
things, but nothing else is connected to the controller. The DDS-2 tape
drive is a Hewlett-Packard C1599A that VA Linux systems supplied. When I
complained about this, they sent me a free new one that has the same
problem. This lowers the probability that the drive itself is defective.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Subject: Re: DVD software for Linux yet?
Date: 25 Dec 2000 11:47:31 GMT

>DVDs are objects being sold. I buy the object.  I didn't sign a
>contract.  I didn't apply for a license.  Now if i could decode a DVD
>with a Cap'n Crunch decoder ring, what is wrong with that.
>
>A license implies that I need
>"Official or legal permission to do or own a specified thing." .
>
>I don't need permission to decode a DVD. I own it!

That's correct. you DON'T need a license to decode a DVD, but you DO
require a license to create the player which uses CSS. and this license
costs money and is not free.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mail
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 06:50:49 -0500

"Michael R. Fox" wrote:

> Does mail make a copy of sent mail?

It depends on what you mean. If you refer to Netscape, it can be
arranged to keep a copy in "Sent". If you mean, literally, /bin/mail,
then it does not do this, but you can send a Cc: to yourself and keep
copies that way. When I use Netscape (which I do most of the time), I
keep copies, but delete most of them at the end of each day so they do
not pile up. I keep only those that were a lot of trouble to enter, and
then only until I get replies. Most of my outgoing e-mail is complaints
about violations of Acceptable Use Policy that I send to the postmaster
and abuse addresses of the ISP of spammers. I do not save these.

Netscape can also keep copies of posts to newsgroups such as this one,
but I never do that.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^ 6:45am up 20 days, 15:31, 2 users, load average: 2.07, 2.11, 2.09

------------------------------

From: "Ella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How could let CGI run not only at cgi-bin?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 20:11:39 +0800

As title,
thanks very much.

------------------------------

From: Stan Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 00:25:12 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
Welcome to Linux-land!

> I have momitsu cdm-j514.

> boot up shows hdb as cdrom atapi with some uniform version.

This means that Linux says "hello" to the hardware.
Now lets address the fleshware.
To mount it, first read 'man mount'.
It will tell you to prepare a mount point, usually a directory, lets say
/cdrom. Then you have to tell the mount what file system to use when
addressing this device. So the command, as root, will be:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /cdrom.

> I am unable to mount it as I donot know how to mount it to what.
Hope this answers you first question.

> donot have /dev/cdrom and donnot know how to make one

/dev/cdrom is a soft link pointing to another device, in your case hdb.
So in your case create one, like this:
ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom
It will create an entry in /dev directory, which will show like @cdrom,
but will point to hdb.

And read the man pages.

> Thanks.
Welcome.
Stanislaw.
Slak user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: "Buck Turgidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Command Line Editing - I already RTFM
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:13:51 GMT

At least he didn't choose Micros~1....

This describes what I had to do to get my RH 6.1 working.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Subject: Re: Microsoft Shares Tumble. Is LINUX to blame?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:18:35 GMT

On 25 Dec 2000 03:52:19 GMT, Carl Fink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Would it violate confidentiality to name your employer?

Not at all, we're a small (but hopefully growing) talk radio network:
Liberty Works Radio Network, based in Westminster, Maryland (USA).

I and others there have disliked Microsoft and its practices for some
time, but management was reluctant to make the change.  The straw that broke
the camel's back was MS targeting us for one of their so-called "software
audits." They even had the audacity to demand that we sign their paperwork
"under oath." (As though Microsoft has the authority to administer
an oath! Who do these arrogant turkeys think they are?)

This was particularly angering as we have always been careful about
purchasing sufficient licences for our users.  Our official response
to Microsoft was (and is) "f*** you, we're going with open source."

Here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Microsoft-free New Year!!

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny McCormack)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.gcc,gnu.gcc
Subject: Why does my GCC create only static executables ? (Old version of Linux)
Date: 25 Dec 2000 08:26:53 -0600

I have a very old installation of Linux, running Debian 1.3. It works very
well, except that the GCC only creates static executables.  Note that the
system itself has dynamic executables and all the libs to support it (I.e.,
the command "ldd /bin/ls" generates the expected output).  But when I
compile anything myself on this system, I get a very large executable and
ldd says it is "statically linked (ELF)".

I have no idea how this situation occurred, I've never seen it on any other
Linux system, and I'd like to know how to debug/fix it.  I'd like to be able
to create normal, dynamically linked executables.  Anyone have any ideas?  I
still have the CD for this system, so if there is any other package to
install, I can do that.

BTW, "Upgrade to a current version of Linux" is not an option.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 13:32:23 GMT

Hartmann Schaffer writes:
> not quite sure, but i think you are wrong with your description how clean
> room cloning works.

No, he got it right.  My only disagreement with him is in that I contend
that the analysis team was working from the source in the _Technical_
_Reference_ rather than from a dump of the ROM.

> all they can work with is a description of the functionality.

That's what he said.

> the point was that the ibm bios was copyrighted, so nobody could use it
> without getting permission from ibm.

I think that everyone here understands that quite clearly.  The discussion
was about just how Compaq et al went about it.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:59:18 GMT

If you have the complete set of 2.0.1 and related rpms in your temp
install directory, you may wish to try:  rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps *.rpm

which should get you out of rpm dependency-error-&-file-conflict hell long
enough to get all the packages installed.

--Kevin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D'Arque Bishop)
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:48:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pineapple wrote:
>>DVDs are objects being sold. I buy the object.  I didn't sign a
>>contract.  I didn't apply for a license.  Now if i could decode a DVD
>>with a Cap'n Crunch decoder ring, what is wrong with that.
>>
>>A license implies that I need
>>"Official or legal permission to do or own a specified thing." .
>>
>>I don't need permission to decode a DVD. I own it!
>
>That's correct. you DON'T need a license to decode a DVD, but you DO
>require a license to create the player which uses CSS. and this license
>costs money and is not free.

Again, you're missing the point.  If a legally-owned piece of software or
hardware was legally reverse-engineered, then we don't need a license to
create the player.  That's what Johansen (sp?) did when he created DeCSS.
He had a copy of a DVD decoder that didn't protect its secrets well enough,
and he reverse-engineered it.  I assume it's legal (yes, I know assumptions
are dangerous), because AFAIK no charges are currently filed against him.
Reverse-engineering has precedents, such as the examples I gave previously.

Just my $.02...

        "Do you see the smile in my words, sad and evil?  Sad because
        I am utterly alone.  Evil because I am dead and yet I live.
        Can you hear me?  Listen.  A dead man visits you."
                                       --James O'Barr, The Crow

                 D'Arque Bishop -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    http://www.ravenloft.net/~drkbish

        "For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the
        darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him."
                                   -- from Noctropolis: Night Vision