  Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ? (Franek)

From: "Ed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Am I fucked? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:27:58 GMT

No, you are not f*****, but you are a jackass for posting a subject line
like that.  And the people who are defending you are bigger jackasses.

--
---
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: capacity of exabyte 8200?
Date: 18 Apr 2001 00:51:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Lupei Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Some one mentioned "mt" command. I couldn't find it on my RH7.0. which
> package provides it?

mt-st

If your drive is an 8205, and thus supports hardware compression, you
can put it into compressed mode via 'mt -f /dev/nst0 density 0x90'.  You
can check what mode it is in via 'mt -f /dev/nst0 status'.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: kernel config question: make mrproper
Date: 17 Apr 2001 20:11:54 -0500

Where does "make mrproper" get its baseline configuration.  I can't
find it hiding in the kernel source tree, but maybe I'm looking for
the wrong file.

It seems to me that it's distribution-dependent; that "make mrproper" will
restore the configuration that the distro producer used.  Or if you
download the kernel source from www.kernel.org, "make mrproper" will give
a very vanilla (tm) configuration.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: upgrading redhat 6.2 to kernel 2.4.3?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:11:07 -0700

Randy R wrote:

> Does anyone have the complete steps (in order,) to upgrading Redhat
> 6.2 to kernel 2.4.3?
> I want to upgrade to the newest versions of X and KDE after this is
> done.
>
> Randy R

Since you also want the latest X and KDE, the easiest path would be to
install the latest SuSE distro, or possibly RH 7.1 which is supposed to be
out in a few days.  You could do it all at once that way and wouldn't have
to worry about compiler or library issues.  You'd also have the latest
versions of the various utilities.

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: launch remote X session from Linux ?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:13:49 +1000

Hi!,

> I have a Red Hat 7.0 laptop. Does anyone know how to open a remote x
> session to other machines?
>
> For example, I want to telnet into another SUN Solaris or DEC UNIX or
> another Linux computer and do emacs (and I want to see the emacs window on
> my laptop).

On your laptop providing X is running on it, you could do something like the
following:

[user@laptop] xhost +remotemachine.com
[user@laptop] ssh / telnet remotehmachine.com
[user@remotemachine] setenv DISPLAY = laptop.com
[user@remotemachine] xemacs &

This should push all the X traffic back to your laptop.  You may need to use a
different way of setting the display environment but this trick should work
for you.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux-2.4.2 and modules...
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:19:29 -0700

Luca Zancan wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I've got a RedHat 6.2 (kernel version 2.2.14-5.0) and I've tried to
> install a 2.4.2 kernel (downloaded in its "tar.gz" form directly from
> ftp.kernel.org - I would like to try this, instead of the rpm package of
> RedHat...).
>
> I've got some problems in creating a RAM disk with mkinitrd...
> I must do it because my system boots from a SCSI disk controlled by an
> Adaptec2940UW adapter (I've got 2 SCSI disk and A SCSI cd-rom on the
> same controller).

Just compile the Adaptec driver into the kernel, rather than compiling it
as a module.  You won't need a RAM disk or initrd, then.

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.1 and StarOffice
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:38:40 +0100

On 17 Apr 2001 16:47:16 GMT in article
<9bhs2k$5cl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Colin Pinkney
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone know of any StarOffice mailing lists or whatever that I may
> be able to contact about this?

Sun's own (public-facing) news server carries them: starnews.sun.com

--
Garry Knight

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:28:40 GMT

I see the same thing. But NT is not often used where it could, due
either a crash or lack of timeliness, do any damage to the work process.
I have seem it tried several times. One crash shut down a process line
permitting liquid nylon to harden in pipes and valves. 15 minutes off
line cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Another caused
disruption of a refinery operation. It took several days to get the
plant cleaned up and back on line.

I build SCADA system also. Several US cities are running systems I
designed. But if the operator displays fail, the A-B PLCs and
specialized computers will still run everything OK. The operator, just
has to run around to check local controls like he did before the
computers were installed.

--
Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"

------------------------------

From: "bmeson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:28:57 -0700

The xon man page says:
xon - start an X program on a remote machine.

So for example, if I'm on mylinux and I want to open a xterm from rdec-unix,
first I telnet into my rdec-unix account and edit .rhosts file. Then I can
run:

mylinux> xon rdec-unix -user myusername

I should see a x term window on my linux machine.

Is this correct? Thanks.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:33:15 GMT

Greg Cox wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> <snip>
>

> > I thought that a few years ago, the U.S.Navy tried a computer
> > controlled battleship, and the computers ran Windows NT (probably 3.51
> > in those days), and it crashed so bad the ship had to be towed into
> > port. (I may not have the facts exactly correct, but it was pretty
> > much like this.) Maybe the computers were not exactly your
> > bargain-basement PCs, but the software must have been. If the U.S.Navy
> > is dumb enough to use Microsoftware in a battle-critical system, why
> > would not some private industry be just as dumb?
> >

> The version of the story I heard was that the first ship of a new class
> of Navy ship was out testing a new ship's control system programmed
> using a custom database running on NT4 and the DB software crashed, not
> NT.  I believe the story goes that the captain said in his report that
> the DB software crashed a couple of times and was successfully restarted
> but the ship was towed in on the third crash with the system left in its
> crashed state for later analysis by the developers...

Essentially the version that was posted here. The DB crash, iirc, was
due to the cook entering too many items in a dinner menu. This crashed
the DB, the DB took down NT. It got restarted without anyone knowing why
it crashed, the cook did it again. When it crashed, it took out
propulsion. On the third try, the Captain decided to call for a tow
until the problem could be solved.

One joke was that it should be intuitive that entering 4 entrees in the
dinner menu will shutdown the ships propulsion. The Navy fixed the
problem by making a new regulation prohibiting more than 3 entrees at a
meal.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:11:47 +0000

In article <9bi9fi$3sr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, bmeson wrote:
>Does ssh reqiure that ssh was also installed on the remote computer I want
>to login?
        Sort of; sshd should be running on that machine to listen for and
handle incoming logins. Or in some cases be spawned from inetd (check
/etc/inetd.conf). But the actual ssh program doesn't need to be on the
target.

Richard

------------------------------

From: Franek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:42:53 GMT

Charles Lyttle wrote:
> However there are a number of manufacturers who make PC equals for the
> factory floor. They are much lower cost than traditional factory
> hardware, especially HP or Sun systems. These systems cost lots more
> than CompUSA trash, but still are cost effective, *IF* they have a good
> OS loaded. Linux does have competitors in this market, QNX being one.
> But the cost of a single BSOD is high enough to keep Windows out.
er... I've done some work on the "factory floor" and I've used different operating
systems. First (I'll probably be crucified now) linux crashes just as well as NT,
especially with some of the crap that's out there (of course it doesn't show blue on
screen <g>, maybe that makes it preferable.) Second, NT is used an *awful* lot in the
factory environment, and again, it's not that bad, no Sir, not at all. Lastly, whatever
application you're running that *must* not abend, you won't run either on NT or linux,
or
anything else of the kind. For critical real-time control none of these will do. QNX
will
do, as will some specialized systems like DCSs or PLCs. General-purpose boxes normally
run
user interfaces, data collection, recipe loading, this kind of things, not the RT
control.
This stuff can be rebooted relatively harmlessly.

The problems with NT have rather something to do with:
- cost of licensing and idiotic conditions with artificial limitations
- goddamned size of it (linux can be chopped up and configured *exactly* for that task
you
need)
- related to the previous: a potentially higher cost of hardware--sometimes it's
important.

From: "Henry Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Am I***? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:45:54 +0800

And you repost the subject line???????

news:ic5D6.2537$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Franek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 01:48:18 GMT

Nah, it's an urban legend. I can't remember the details, but they got some database
glitch
or something of this sort. Not related to NT, but to the program that ran on it. But
it's
such an tasty story that NT is so bad it even incapacitated the Navy ship that it's
impossible to disbelieve it--even though it's not true <G>. Well, that's the stuff what
urban legends are made of ! ;^)