  Re: Scanner ("Mick")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Red Hat dead/dying?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:58:58 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> James Hutchins wrote:
> >
> > http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,40513,00.html
>
> Typical business downsizing.  I've always maintained that the best jobs
> were with universities doing research.  At CMU (Carnegie Mellon
> University) in Pittsburgh, certain staff/research positions involving
> hacking on the Linux kernel, and getting paid to do it.  That would be a
> decent job to have, seeing as to how a lot of people do hacking on the
> Linux kernel in their free time.  I think universities should be doing a
> lot more of this.  I say this because Berkeley produced a fine unix
> distribution like this, and I don't see why the trend couldn't

Actually, it wasn't just Berkely.  A lot of BSD development also
happened at Purdue, MIT, Carnegie-Mellon and U of Illionois (Urbana-Champaign).

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

    you are lazy, stupid people"

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   direction that she doesn't like.

   ...despite (C) above.

   her behavior improves.

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: X-ample <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scanner
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 11:08:57 +0100

André wrote:

> It is possible to use a scanner under linux?
>
> --
> (c) André Wagner
>
>     "Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is
> humility."
>            -- Proverbs 18:12

Sure you can use a scanner under linux ..
download the SANE package at freshmeat.net ..
SANE = Scanner Access Now made Easy ;) ..

HIH,

laurens

------------------------------

From: "Billy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with Proftpd
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:20:39 -0000

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is already answered, but I would like an answer quicker than
looking through all the different newsgroups.

My problem is right down in the basics.

I want to setup an ftp server that will allow users to login to their own
directories to update websites etc.  I don't want them to be able to go
above their own directories, but want to give full access to their own ones.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated as the help files that I have
looked through are not very clear (maybe I just don't grasp the way they are
saying the stuff)

Thanks in advance

Billy

------------------------------

From: Dan Amborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems moving to Ultra66 controller
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:04:10 -0600

How do I move my linux installation from my onboard controller to a
Promise Ultra66 controller on my Redhat 6.2 system?  I have patched a
2.2.18 kernel and compiled in the necessary support for the controller.
It actually senses the card now at bootup.  The problem I have now is
that I don't know how to properly move the drive from the onboard
controller to the Promise.  It will boot into linux but then stall with
a kernel panic because it can't find the root filesystem.  I changed my
fstab file to point everything that was going to drive hda to hde but
that is not enough.  I think what I am missing it that I need to tell
the existing lilo installation that it is now on /dev/hde5 instead of
/dev/hda5.  This is a guess so any info on getting this to work will be
appreciated.  I would love to get better performace out of this older
machine.

--

Dan Amborn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Using Nvidia GeForce 2 with XFree86 4.0.1
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:44:36 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc R.Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> install ncurses (and link .4 to .5 if necessary).

> Sorry, I'm an idiot.  Where and how do I do this?

On your computer, using its package manager. If you are on a redhat
based system, use rpm, or kpackage, or ... whatever your package
manager is called. If on a debian based system, use apt-get. On
slackware, use installpkg. Etc.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Compiling the Linux Kernel
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:55:45 GMT

Hi,

I'd like to have some help on compiling the linux kernel.

1. First, I did "rpm -ivh make*
   Since I had not installed it on the computer, I had to
   install the program.

2. Secondly, I did "rpm -ivh gcc*"
    Also, the same reason as the previous one.( By the way,
    are these two the programs I have to install on the machine
    to build the kernel? Do I have to install library files as well?
    If so, which ones?)

3. Then I did "make config" anwering many lengthy questions.
    (/usr/src/linux)

4. Then "make dep; make clean; make boot"

5. The computer displayed on the screen at the very last:
         : as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
         : make[1]: as86: Command not found
         : make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
         : make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.35/arch/i386/boot'
         : make: *** [boot] Error 2
         : [root@localhost linux]#

According to the book "Red Hat Linnux Secrets <2nd ed.>" by Naba Barkakati,
the file "zImage" shoud becreated after the process in the
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot directory,  but the file is not there!

Then I did like:
          : "make dep > out_dep"
          : "make clean > out_clean"
          : "make boot > out_boot"

After creating these three files, I used grep to find error messages, but
didn't find any. The previous error messages I mentioned above were not
captured in the files, but they were displayed on the screen.

I would appreciate any inforamtion on how to correct this problem. Thanks in
advance!

baccus7

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 5 Jan 2001 11:11:59 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc R.Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> install ncurses (and link .4 to .5 if necessary).

I suppose you mean 4.x to 5.0 (bad idea).

>> Sorry, I'm an idiot.  Where and how do I do this?

> On your computer, using its package manager. If you are on a redhat
> based system, use rpm, or kpackage, or ... whatever your package
> manager is called. If on a debian based system, use apt-get. On
> slackware, use installpkg. Etc.

4.2 and 5.0 aren't compatible.  (I point this out 2-3 times a week).

See
        http://dickey.his.com/ncurses/announce-5.0.html

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with Proftpd
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:05:33 +0100

Billy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to setup an ftp server that will allow users to login to their own
> directories to update websites etc.  I don't want them to be able to go
> above their own directories, but want to give full access to their own ones.

This is called  chroot, and it should be documented in th e ftpd man
page. You have to use a special form of HOME entry in the /etc/passwd
file. That's all.

From: "Billy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:21:21 -0000

Thank you
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:15:12 +0100

Ooops .. didn't notice that you are using proftpd instead of wuftpd.
I don't know how proftpd will do it - my comments were meant for
someone using wuftpd.  But the advice (below) holds good: read the
manpage, or the proftpd faq.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling the Linux Kernel
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:17:31 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> 5. The computer displayed on the screen at the very last:
>          : as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
>          : make[1]: as86: Command not found

For the umpteenth time in 5 %^&$ days, INSTALL the as86 program.
It'll come in one or the other of your development packages. Probably
bin86 or dev86, by all accounts.

> According to the book "Red Hat Linnux Secrets <2nd ed.>" by Naba Barkakati,

spelling!

From: patrick.thempel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [Help] Problems with network and remote X apps
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 11:32:17 GMT

In article <TJX46.114029$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?=
> Manuel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ben=EDtez=20S=E1nchez?="
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> This sounds very much like a resolv problem. Try adding your own
> IP/host and those of the other systems to your /etc/hosts file, and
make
> sure you have valid nameservers listed in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> - Dan White

i experience the same problems with a new compiled 2.2.18 kernel,
dec21143 driver compiled into the kernel (no module).
network works fine in the beginning,
but dies somehow-
i have to ifconfig eth0 down and up to have it working again.

i found out  with some smbmount and filecopy (konqueror), so i thought
its maybe the kde2 or the smbfs not working properly.
havent tested a lot yet.
i maybe will switch back to 2.2.16 for a while, and await the 2.4.1 or
2.4.2 kernel releases.

--
kungfuzious says:
to learn from yugoslavia is to learn

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Gerard H. Pille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 12:48:32 +0100

> I'd like to have some help on compiling the linux kernel.
>
> 1. First, I did "rpm -ivh make*
>    Since I had not installed it on the computer, I had to
>    install the program.
>
> 2. Secondly, I did "rpm -ivh gcc*"
>     Also, the same reason as the previous one.( By the way,
>     are these two the programs I have to install on the machine
>     to build the kernel? Do I have to install library files as well?
>     If so, which ones?)
>
> 3. Then I did "make config" anwering many lengthy questions.
>     (/usr/src/linux)
>
> 4. Then "make dep; make clean; make boot"
>
> 5. The computer displayed on the screen at the very last:
>          : as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
>          : make[1]: as86: Command not found
>          : make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
>          : make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.0.35/arch/i386/boot'
>          : make: *** [boot] Error 2
>          : [root@localhost linux]#
>
> According to the book "Red Hat Linnux Secrets <2nd ed.>" by Naba Barkakati,
> the file "zImage" shoud becreated after the process in the
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot directory,  but the file is not there!
>
> Then I did like:
>           : "make dep > out_dep"
>           : "make clean > out_clean"
>           : "make boot > out_boot"
>
> After creating these three files, I used grep to find error messages, but
> didn't find any. The previous error messages I mentioned above were not
> captured in the files, but they were displayed on the screen.
>
> I would appreciate any inforamtion on how to correct this problem. Thanks in
> advance!
>
> baccus7
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

You still haven't installed everything you need for development, in this
case: as86.  But I'm not sure what the exact package is, I'll have a
look on a RedHat, nothing starting with as86 ...  Ah, found it: it is in
dev86.

Good luck

Gerard

------------------------------

From: "Gerard H. Pille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 12:51:05 +0100

Thomas Dickey wrote:

> I suppose you mean 4.x to 5.0 (bad idea).
>
> >> Sorry, I'm an idiot.  Where and how do I do this?
>
> > On your computer, using its package manager. If you are on a redhat
> > based system, use rpm, or kpackage, or ... whatever your package
> > manager is called. If on a debian based system, use apt-get. On
> > slackware, use installpkg. Etc.
>
> 4.2 and 5.0 aren't compatible.  (I point this out 2-3 times a week).

Ah, in that case you might want to learn about the cut-and-paste
technique.  Very handy if one has to repeat oneself.

Gerard

------------------------------

From: "Gerard H. Pille" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems moving to Ultra66 controller
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:01:04 +0100

Dan Amborn wrote:

> How do I move my linux installation from my onboard controller to a
> Promise Ultra66 controller on my Redhat 6.2 system?  I have patched a
> 2.2.18 kernel and compiled in the necessary support for the controller.
> It actually senses the card now at bootup.  The problem I have now is
> that I don't know how to properly move the drive from the onboard
> controller to the Promise.  It will boot into linux but then stall with
> a kernel panic because it can't find the root filesystem.  I changed my
> fstab file to point everything that was going to drive hda to hde but
> that is not enough.  I think what I am missing it that I need to tell
> the existing lilo installation that it is now on /dev/hde5 instead of
> /dev/hda5.  This is a guess so any info on getting this to work will be
> appreciated.  I would love to get better performace out of this older
> machine.
>
> --
>
> Dan Amborn
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.

Well, that is indeed about it:

Tell Lilo you will be booting from /dev/hde5 but that for now the boot
sector is to be put on /dev/hda (MBR !!)  (Once you are running, modify
lilo.conf again for the next time you run lilo, your disk is on
/dev/hde)

Be sure that you didn't specify the udma66 support as a module, but
built into the kernel.

Modify your bios to boot from UDMA66

But before you try this:  make a boot-diskette or better still, a
working resque-set of diskettes:  boot & root filesystem with goodies.
Boot with them and see if you can get to your hd where it is now.   Plug
it it the new controller, and try again.

The second time I moved from ide to udma66 it worked,  the first time it
didn't and I found a very ease way out: use Gentus Linux from Abit.  It
is based on RedHat (6.2 I believe), you can download a cd-image if you
have time or adsl.

May the force be with you,

Gerard

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Date: 5 Jan 2001 12:01:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Gerard H. Pille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> 4.2 and 5.0 aren't compatible.  (I point this out 2-3 times a week).

> Ah, in that case you might want to learn about the cut-and-paste
> technique.  Very handy if one has to repeat oneself.

I have my faq pointers (xterm, ncurses, vile, lynx) mapped on function keys,
but would soon run out of bindable keys if I had one for each subtopic.

From: "Mick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scanners
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 03:00:47 -0900

Yes.  Look here for more info: